• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should we tech intelligent design/creationism in schools as Pence wants?

If evolution is real, why do mothers still only have 2 hands? :2razz:

If evolution is real, why do mothers still only have 2 hands? :2razz:

If we were designed, our beta testers were terrible at their jobs.

No, but I think it should be taught that it's a theory and that there are still some unanswered questions. I feel the way I was taught about evolution in school made it seem like an established fact. It's a theory. It's a good one but it's not complete.

How long must this go on ? Yet another indication of how religion poisons everything. Evolution has been proven and many years ago.

You're confused. in science a theory is a well worked out thing with many scientist replicating its findings in the peer-review process over time, in other words it's the highest state of science we have, IE the theory of relativity, and so the theory of evolution. It's not a theory in the trivial sense of the word

Both have been proven.

As part of a science class no. I do think that a "world religion" class would benefit students. An intro in 6th with a more in depth version in 11Th or 12th and it should be included then.

Never in public schools.

Along with atheism and evolution (in regards to evolutions vs. creationism).

Atheism and evolution are facts. If you wish to believe in stone age fairy tales...gor for it.

No, but I think it should be taught that it's a theory and that there are still some unanswered questions. I feel the way I was taught about evolution in school made it seem like an established fact. It's a theory. It's a good one but it's not complete.

It is not a theory, a theory is a proven body of work that has stood up to testing, and has a large body of evidence to back it up. Like the theory of gravity. Or the theory of evolution.

Religion has nothing to back it up, that's why they tell you to take it on faith.

The theory of evolution is pretty much complete. We have 39 DNA strands we can't account for in our own DNA. The step between Homo Erectus and Homo Sapien, otherwise known as the Missing Link. The reason it is missing is we evolved in Southern Africa which was hit by a flood a relatively short time after we made the leap to Homo Sapien the layer of fossil record in that area that contains the step between Erectus and Sapien got washed out. Those bones could be anywhere, including the bottom of the ocean.

We have found 6 species that evolved from Homo Erectus that died out, one being the Neanderthal which we do share some DNA with. It's that 7th from Southern Africa we are missing. Once we find that, then it we will have a complete record of our evolution.

Last edited:
Does it matter why it came around? The concept just might be real.

Well [they] don't understand. What the Sumerians wrote is myth (Greeks too) but what the christians wrote is the gospel truth. [sic]

Atheism and evolution are facts. If you wish to believe in stone age fairy tales...gor for it.

Atheism is a belief. It shouldn't be taught in our schools.

Please quote the first amendment and explain how it is suppose to protect the government from religion.

You may be right and if so, we...may be in trouble. All the const. prohibits is that congress 'shall make mo law.'

Then maybe we should stick to the basics, and stop teaching all the social engineering.

You know, this ID kick is mostly a response pushing back against the things that many parents don't want in the schools.

Define 'social engineering.' If parents do not favor curriculum, they can change it.

I can agree with placing it in a proper curriculum. But those saying it shouldn't be taught, seem rather absolute on it.

Maybe I'm a bit jumping the gun of my position here, but I am sick and tired of the indoctrination in the schools. We don't all agree on what should and shouldn't be taught. The things we disagree on should be in electives. Not forced on all. We should otherwise stick to reading, math, history, etc.

Even that gets dicey, because people can argue a good number of points. I think study halls should be done away with, for instance. They are a waste of time and take away a class.

Math, science, philosophy, music, and art should be fields of academic study that are required. I would throw theology under philosophy and I believe it is a perfectly acceptable academic subject. The trouble is that you have to teach, not preach. But I think, for instance, a World's Religion course would be quite acceptable as a required high school course.

As Dawkins used to say - gravity is also “just” a theory so why don’t we see the naysayers leaping from skyscraper windows?

Define 'social engineering.' If parents do not favor curriculum, they can change it.

Or home school or send to private schools.

But the problem here is that they are constantly trying to change school curricula...to include creationism.

Madison didn't speak for all who mattered.

You incorrectly invoked the first amendment, when it specifically stated "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." To exclude it from the schools, should the school wish to use it, is a direct violation of the first!

Well then you disagree with almost every court ruling and I could just as easily and with equal merit,
suggest my religion 'Hedonism' should be taught in schools.

Oh and he quite correctly invoked the 1st amend.

Mike Pence wants creationism taught to your kids in public schools – DeadState
I found at least a half a dozen articles concerning Pence's desire to teach what most call creationism in our schools science classes along side of evolution. Not taking in that there is plenty of evidence that evolution has occurred, if we did what Pence wants, would we also have to also teach all of the other religious themes about how the world came to be. If we only taught creationism it would be the same as creating the Christian religion as the nation's religion, something that can not be done under our Constitution. So, what do you think?

I'd be fine with a comparative religion class that students learn about different religions and their creation myths. But only teach science in science class. If we can't even get 3% of scientists to support creationism there is a big problem here.

Atheism is a belief. It shouldn't be taught in our schools.

Atheism isnt taught in schools.

Feel free to show where that's part of a curriculum that doesnt include comparing religions/beliefs or philosophy.

Along with atheism and evolution (in regards to evolutions vs. creationism).

Evolution is a complex scientific topic and is not comparable to any of those things.

There is no "evolution vs. creationism." That's a false conflict invented by religious people. There's no "controversy" to teach. It's just people trying to force their religious beliefs into a science classroom. Creationism has no more place in a science classroom than dodgeball.

Evolution is a complex scientific topic and is not comparable to any of those things.

There is no "evolution vs. creationism." That's a false conflict invented by religious people. There's no "controversy" to teach. It's just people trying to force their religious beliefs into a science classroom. Creationism has no more place in a science classroom than dodgeball.

If I was to learn creationism during my grade school years, I would have become a atheist sooner in my life. Since America is having more Asian-Americans, we should be teaching Eastern Civilization

Atheism isnt taught in schools.

Feel free to show where that's part of a curriculum that doesnt include comparing religions/beliefs or philosophy.

Teaching evolution, in order to suggest there's no creator, is teaching atheism.

If I was to learn creationism during my grade school years, I would have become a atheist sooner in my life. Since America is having more Asian-Americans, we should be teaching Eastern Civilization

Why?..

Back
Top Bottom