• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Squatters Be Allowed to Take People's Homes?

Should Squatters Be Allowed To Take Others' Property?

• Total voters
So, if someone posts something on the interwebz it's gotta be true???? :rolleyes:
Please tell me you don't manage other people's money.... ✌️
that wasnt your point was it (if you understand what you were claiming this was a stalking horse) ?
He's been around preaching migrant rights ( or whatever)

In another video posted February 21st, Moreno expressed his intention behind migrating to the United States, stating, "You came to the United States to work, and I came to vacation, look at the difference. You and I didn’t come with the same purpose. You came to the United States to pay the taxes that you didn’t pay in Venezuela."

that wasnt your point was it (if you understand what you were claiming this was a stalking horse) ?
He's been around preaching migrant rights ( or whatever)

In another video posted February 21st, Moreno expressed his intention behind migrating to the United States, stating, "You came to the United States to work, and I came to vacation, look at the difference. You and I didn’t come with the same purpose. You came to the United States to pay the taxes that you didn’t pay in Venezuela."
Brags, just because you believe the Orange Guy bragging doesn't mean others are any more honest. It is a stalking horse, using some unsubstantiated video to 'prove a point'... ✌️

Whether you are abandoning your property should be a decision you get to actively make, and not left to some vagrant who decides to break in and cop a squat in the corner.
People shouldn’t abandon significantly sized spaces in cities, at all. But they do.
What has eminent domain got to do with squatting?
Property rights.

People shouldn’t abandon significantly sized spaces in cities, at all. But they do.

Property rights.
In the real world there are reasons a property might be left unoccupied. One VERY common reason is that a tenant leaves a rental property and the owner can't find a new tenant right away. That wouldn't necessarily imply that a property has been "abandoned". Let's say, for example, that you have a serious medical problem that requires an extended hospital stay followed by extensive in-patient rehabilitation. If you're gone for 6 months did you "abandon" your property?

In the real world there are reasons a property might be left unoccupied. One VERY common reason is that a tenant leaves a rental property and the owner can't find a new tenant right away. That wouldn't necessarily imply that a property has been "abandoned". Let's say, for example, that you have a serious medical problem that requires an extended hospital stay followed by extensive in-patient rehabilitation. If you're gone for 6 months did you "abandon" your property?
When a rental property is unoccupied, a landlord is unlikely to simply ignore the property for multiple months, and if they do, they are neglecting it. At a minimum, someone should be periodically checking on the place even if it isn’t being shown to prospective tenants.

Though it is true that a sudden medical emergency and a lack of a support network to help manage a property can be a problem.

When a rental property is unoccupied, a landlord is unlikely to simply ignore the property for multiple months, and if they do, they are neglecting it. At a minimum, someone should be periodically checking on the place even if it isn’t being shown to prospective tenants.

Though it is true that a sudden medical emergency and a lack of a support network to help manage a property can be a problem.
OK. Fair enough. In Absentglare world if you leave your property unoccupied for 6 months then you deserve to have someone take it away from you. Fair enough. I disagree a whole lot on that but you certainly have your right to that belief and I DAMNED sure hope you never get elected to public office.

-EDIT-

Out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about someone that gets a 6 month sentence for a DUI or something? Should they also lose their property on to of having to go to jail?

OK. Fair enough. In Absentglare world if you leave your property unoccupied for 6 months then you deserve to have someone take it away from you. Fair enough. I disagree a whole lot on that but you certainly have your right to that belief and I DAMNED sure hope you never get elected to public office.
They didn’t take the property. Idk why folks are lying about this. Ownership wasn’t transferred.

No need to attack, I do think 30 days to squat and 20 months to evict is ridiculous. Eviction shouldn’t take more than a few months, and squatting should probably take around the same.

When people have so much money that they can leave multi-million dollar properties completely abandoned for months, with no idea that someone is living in them, that’s a problem. Take care of your stuff.

A frequent crime in Vancouver is that a nice couple will rent a property then sublet it to as many people as they can shoehorn in.

Unfortunately for the property owner those tenants have rights.

I sure would be interested in a comparison of that NYC law to other similar laws around the world, not just a comparison to U.S. laws in other cities, counties, states.
This is a problem in many states. I don't know why such an easy to solve problem is a problem to begin with.

They didn’t take the property. Idk why folks are lying about this. Ownership wasn’t transferred.

No need to attack, I do think 30 days to squat and 20 months to evict is ridiculous. Eviction shouldn’t take more than a few months, and squatting should probably take around the same.

When people have so much money that they can leave multi-million dollar properties completely abandoned for months, with no idea that someone is living in them, that’s a problem. Take care of your stuff.
Problem or not, the property does not (or should not, anyway) transfer to someone else who decides to break in and camp out for a while.

A frequent crime in Vancouver is that a nice couple will rent a property then sublet it to as many people as they can shoehorn in.

Unfortunately for the property owner those tenants have rights.
That's not what this is about. This is about people either just moving into a house that is not theirs and they have no contract for it, or people just refusing to pay and not leave.

That's not what this is about. This is about people either just moving into a house that is not there's and they have no contract for it, or people just refusing to pay and not leave.
The situation is similar in that the subletters are squatting. They have moved in without a lease.

The owner can evict the original legal renter but the remaining occupants have legal rights.

The situation is similar in that the subletters are squatting. They have moved in without a lease.

The owner can evict the original legal renter but the remaining occupants have legal rights.
It's not similar because your example was done by the owner, on purpose.

It's not similar because your example was done by the owner, on purpose.
Nope.

The owner rented to someone who invited squatters in.

Nope.

The owner rented to someone who invited squatters in.
OK, I see....then there is no issue there. The squatters go.

And it's their property, and their right to do so.

So the squatters are the government now or what?
Again, they don’t lose the property, they just can’t remove the people living there for a long time without going through a formal legal process.
Problem or not, the property does not (or should not, anyway) transfer to someone else who decides to break in and camp out for a while.
Again, it doesn’t transfer. Living somewhere doesn’t mean that you now own it.

OK, I see....then there is no issue there. The squatters go.
There is an issue, because they’d need time to find other accommodations, they’d need to move their stuff out, and they might even need time to save up for a new security deposit etc., understand, the squatting renters can also be victims in that scenario.

The best squat I lived in was a small two-story house owned by a nearby hospital. There was a whole row of them, none of them for rent, and just a few still occupied by owners. The hospital DID NOT CARE what happened to those houses, they were owned purely for the real estate. Some of them had burned down, and the blocks weren't even cleared. As it turned out, a new hospital was built elsewhere instead of the planned extension of that old hospital. As well as improving the house (for my own benefit) I was also a good neighbor for the old couple next door. Previously skinheads and bikies had lived in 'my' squat.

So in that case, was I being a bad criminal? When a house is being kept just for the land it stands on, isn't it irrelevant whether squatters damage it or improve it?

Another squat I lived in had no toilet (it had been destroyed and the hole plugged with concrete.) Fortunately there was a train station nearby, and a large garden for when I just had to pee. No power or gas either, though the water was still connected. I didn't know at the time whether the owner did the damage, or bad squatters, though the further effort involved in blocking up the sewer strongly suggested it was the owner. One day I came 'home' and bulldozers were at work destroying the building, and unfortunately they'd finished with the room where I had my stuff hidden behind a false wall. Maybe the workers would have put it out on the street if they were aware of it, or maybe they would have told me tough luck. I'm not complaining: I knew the risk when I moved in.

Again, if the owner firmly intends to demolish the house some day, why shouldn't squatters be allowed to live there if they're not criminals in some other way or making life hard for their neighbors? Full time squatters displace transient squatters, and the latter is more likely to light a fire in the living room or take a dump on the carpet.

It's actually counterproductive to grant squatter's rights like invulnerability after a number of years, ownership or part-ownership, or a long lead time on eviction. This essentially forces owners to treat all squatters as 'hostile' and evict them immediately, rather than reaching some handshake agreement to the benefit of both owner and squatter. So I'm led to the uncomfortable conclusion that squatting is very often better than vacancy, and owners could benefit if they understood the situation of homeless people better, but nonetheless the law cannot protect squatter's rights. They must deal directly with the owner, and the owner must always retain the right to evict them with short notice.

I appreciate you bringing this perspective, and also that you were able to think through and come to the more nuanced conclusions you did.

the Venezuelan guy is bragging about how he squatted 7 homes. It's not a stalking horse when he's online encouraging others and giving advice how to do it
Shoot him. Solves the problem. Whats the issue? These are burglars. Blow their brains out.

Do you have any evidence for the belief that squatters deplete the supply of housing, or at least discourage investors from building from new construction?

That was a broader point about whether or not we protect property rights.

However, it certainly seems to make sense that reducing property rights to allow squatters to seize property from owners could indeed add to such an issue.

There is an issue, because they’d need time to find other accommodations, they’d need to move their stuff out, and they might even need time to save up for a new security deposit etc., understand, the squatting renters can also be victims in that scenario.
Nope...no issue. They are not there legally. The people that illegally put them in there can be sued for damages and hardship.

There are "better" stories if you want to highlight the problem (lots of people took advantage of COVID restrictions to basically just live rent free in other people's homes for a couple of years, and there are, apparently, more people who just refuse to pay rent than I anticipated.

It was just the one that caused me to think about the greater issue.
Why would you select National Review as a source to anchor your OP?
As extreme and of poor reputation for reliability National Review is, It seems they reported that the person who inherited the property violated
the law by changing the locks and seems to have proceeded in the first place, with a property described as worth $1 million, to be separating people from their personal property without the guidance of an attorney.

A fair editor would not have given her the space in their publication and you wouldn't have anything to amplify. The only side I am taking is based on my usual scepticism of the opinon that all fault points at the least influential, least wealthy.

Brags, just because you believe the Orange Guy bragging doesn't mean others are any more honest.
useless conjecture. I mean TikToc doesn't require one to swear they are telling the truth. Why would you immediately disbelieve ? It's a growing trend- whether this particular influencer is doing it or not.He has 1/4 -1/2 million followers

It's not a stalking horse to misdirect attention from a real problem

Last week, DailyMail.com revealed how entire communities in Los Angeles and Atlanta have been ravaged by criminals turning homes into strip clubs and hosting all night raves.

Residents of Texas and Colorado have also detailed how they are being tormented by a serial squatter who is running rings around the police.

There is a backlog of squatting cases throughout the nation and desperate families are turning to vigilantes who pledge to confront the squatters head on.

It is a stalking horse, using some unsubstantiated video to 'prove a point'...
virtually all videos are unsubstantiated , unless documentation one has to decide credibility .

Back
Top Bottom