• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Squatters Be Allowed to Take People's Homes?

Should Squatters Be Allowed To Take Others' Property?

• Total voters
.... that.... in no way answers the point.

Bro...

1. If we want to be able to help others, knowing what actually helps others is sort of important. Respectfully, this is like saying you don't want to study engineering, you just want to build better bridges.

2. If you don't want to discuss the impact of strong property rights work in economic theory, then you should probably avoid expressions of economic theory about the impacts of strong property rights.
Yeeep. Theory is not just blind guesses. As an economics student that post hurt to read lol.

Theres lots of abandoned properties that are incredibly old and dilapidated that are just held there.
The LAST thing you want to do is allow a person in need to occupy what is likely an unsafe property. When it comes to private residences, especially million dollar ones, it's a good bet that the basic structure is safe and that utilities are turned on. I mean, seriously, what happens if we allow a person in need to occupy a substandard residence and they end up getting injured or don't have heat and water? Do you really expect the taxpayers to foot the bill when the city or state gets sued for not accommodating someone in need? That would be REALLY unfair. It's much better that we allow occupation of properties and prohibit "owners" from interfering. After all, the principles of "from each according to their ability and to each according to their need" is still the base philosophy of a free America, right?

.... that.... in no way answers the point.

Bro...

1. If we want to be able to help others, knowing what actually helps others is sort of important. Respectfully, this is like saying you don't want to study engineering, you just want to build better bridges.

2. If you don't want to discuss the impact of strong property rights work in economic theory, then you should probably avoid expressions of economic theory about the impacts of strong property rights.
This may be true, but at the end of the day, stuff like the rising costs of property and college are the #1 problem in America right now.

Your solution may be the solution, but how does that help people who are hurting right now?

I never understand these stories, because where I live, if you own the property, yes, you can't self-help evict, but all you have to do is trot over to the court, file a complaint for eviction, post it to the door, wait three days, and then if they don't leave or pay rent due into the registry of the court and raise a valid defense, then they are out. A person who tried to raise a defense but had no lease is evicted in fairly short order.

I'm glad your system is that responsive. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case elsewhere.

I mean, you don't want landlords just being able to lock people out of rental units on a claim of breach of lease, but they do need to provide a fairly quick way to resolve these things. What can NY be doing that makes it take 20 months to resolve an eviction? That's nuts.

Justice That Delayed certainly feels like Justice Denied.

You want more? We never had this problem before Trump became president so, if you REALLY want to get it fixed, have the NYAG file a case against Trump to get the property back. If Trump hadn't started calling these people "illegals" and "criminals" we would NEVER have had this problem where people start getting all disparaging against people in need. Think about it, if we're just going to allow them to come into this country, in violation of our laws, then what reasonable basis do we have for assuming that they have no right to houses and cars and food and stuff?
Wait, what reasonable basis do we have for assuming that they have no right to houses and cars and food and stuff? Err... the same basis we have for assuming that you and I have no right to other people's houses, cars, food and stuff without paying for it. Who the hell has a right to houses cars food and stuff? Why should illegal aliens have that right when we don't? The rest of us have to pay for stuff.

We definitely had this problem before Trump. you're just ignorant of it. What is causing the problem to be exacerbated is the giant lurch left that the laws and law enforcement have taken. They aren't doing this because Trump called them illegals - they are illegal aliens and they've been called that in US immigration law for 100+ years. And someone who steals someone else's house is a criminal, ffs.

Million-dollar home you inherited??? You hire an estate attorney. The lawyer handling the will should have handled this... ✌️

This may be true, but at the end of the day, stuff like the rising costs of property and college are the #1 problem in America right now.

......I don't think I could agree with that, from either a Christian or a secular perspective. We have much bigger problems than "our intellectual elite have to pay a lot of money for their certifications".

Your solution may be the solution, but how does that help people who are hurting right now?

I haven't really given "a" solution*, only pointed out how damaging our system in one particular way for a short term immediate gain does more harm over the long run than good.

*Not least because there isn't "a" solution.

I'm glad your system is that responsive. Sadly, that does not appear to be the case elsewhere.

Justice That Delayed certainly feels like Justice Denied.
Indeed. Yes, here, the courts move evictions pretty fast. I can't imagine how a squatter, with no lease, can justify to a judge that he can stay there. three day notice on the door, and then if the squatter doesn't respond the court enters a writ of possession, and the sheriff goes out and kicks them out. If the squatter responds in court there will be a hearing, but if the squatter can't prove he has a right to be in the house, then the judge will enter an order of eviction and writ of possession and the sheriff goes and posts it and then kicks them out.

Wait, what reasonable basis do we have for assuming that they have no right to houses and cars and food and stuff? Err... the same basis we have for assuming that you and I have no right to other people's houses, cars, food and stuff without paying for it. Who the hell has a right to houses cars food and stuff? Why should illegal aliens have that right when we don't? The rest of us have to pay for stuff.

We definitely had this problem before Trump. you're just ignorant of it. What is causing the problem to be exacerbated is the giant lurch left that the laws and law enforcement have taken. They aren't doing this because Trump called them illegals - they are illegal aliens and they've been called that in US immigration law for 100+ years. And someone who steals someone else's house is a criminal, ffs.
That's crap. You and I aren't "people in need". We have stuff and it's our OBLIGATION as human beings to see that nobody is left in need. Again, just go to the Constitution and reread that "From each according to his ability, and to each according to their need" bit. We can never be a good and proper Communist nation if we keep on assuming that one person has "property rights" and that another doesn't.

Just like in the natural sciences understanding theory is the building blocks of how you learn to solve problems.

Just like in the natural sciences understanding theory is the building blocks of how you learn to solve problems.
I think I am just in a mood today.

The solution to that isn't squatters, it's enforcement of laws regarding dilapidated properties.

Even if a person has a second home somewhere, that ought not be a requirement that the owner house someone in it.
Cabins in the woods should not be subject to squatters, unless by giant secret agencies protecting humanity from ancient eldar gods.

“What has mood to do with it? You fight when the necessity arises—no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for cattle or making love or playing the baliset. It's not for fighting.” 🤪

May your knife chip and shatter ... with your "spicy" comment. :p

You have the right to abandon property and, when and if you do, you may forfeit your “exclusive” access to it.
Whether you are abandoning your property should be a decision you get to actively make, and not left to some vagrant who decides to break in and cop a squat in the corner.

The government can also exercise eminent domain.
What has eminent domain got to do with squatting?

And now the MAGAs lead out their favorite stalking horse.... ✌️
the Venezuelan guy is bragging about how he squatted 7 homes. It's not a stalking horse when he's online encouraging others and giving advice how to do it

the Venezuelan guy is bragging about how he squatted 7 homes. It's not a stalking horse when he's online encouraging others and giving advice how to do it
So, if someone posts something on the interwebz it's gotta be true???? :rolleyes:
Please tell me you don't manage other people's money.... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom