• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Limbaugh: Economy Being Destroyed 'Under The Guise' Of Saving Lives

Alex Jones was so far of right that even mainstream GOP disowned him. Rush manages to stay on the fringes of conservative acceptability.

The reality is that Rush is much closer to Alex Jones than he is to a William F. Buckley. Much, much closer. The fact that liberals don't have a liberal limbaugh violating the airwaves every day is a good argument for why someone should vote democrat. Far fewer brain dead morons.

The reality is that Rush is much closer to Alex Jones than he is to a William F. Buckley. Much, much closer. The fact that liberals don't have a liberal limbaugh violating the airwaves every day is a good argument for why someone should vote democrat. Far fewer brain dead morons.

The GOP believes they need Fox News and radio conservatives to equalize the playing field against liberal news media. Both sides go too far with rhetoric nowadays to find any rational solutions in the middle. I don't love either side for that reason.

The economic harm is being imposed out of fear, not out of a realistic threat assessment. This is panic. Imagine waking up every morning to "3,000 more die on America's roads!!" This is not "saving 100,000 lives" this is "your son is still sick, but at least the bloodletting drained away the evil spirits."

OK, what's a realistic threat assessment of an essentially do nothing strategy?

We look forward to your response.

Richard Epstein over at Hoover provided one two weeks ago - 500 total deaths in the U.S., 50,000 total deaths worldwide, and 1 million total cases worldwide. We'll blow through all those by tomorrow.

One of the small consolations of this crisis (aside from having the time to appreciate a beautiful spring, and empty interstates) is that the political cartoons have been outstanding!

Lot's of material.

Very interesting.... I hadn't thought about this last bit. Per my earlier post, I was thinking more in terms of the stimulus package mostly going back into the economy, and thus stimulating growth, with some of it returning to the federal government as taxes.

The economist is correct if and only if interest rates remain low. Meaning that borrowers are willing to buy U.S. debt by the barrel.

And . . .? Do you think he still says that?

Maybe? It's not like shame is a factor.

Could you point me to where he clarified his actual position to his audience, having for years loudly declared drug abuse inexcusable and calling for universally harsh punishments?

Can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is between Limbaugh and Alex Jones? Limbaugh has been screaming bat**** crazy stuff on the air waives and tearing our country apart for decades.

That’s easy.

Limbaugh spent most of his early career drifting from job to job as a failed disc jockey. The cancelling of the fairness doctrine opened up a market for right wing call in radio shows.

These had always been the provice of late night local radio. A haven for conspiracy theorists, crackpots, and lonely hearts.

The end of the fairness doctrine absolved local stations from any responsibility for policing their content.

Limbaugh was smart enough to understand that the change opened an opportunity for syndication.

Jones ranted on public access channels for a while in Austin in the 1990’s and didn’t get his first syndications deal until 2000. By then, Limbaugh, and his syndicator were packaging talk radio hosts like Shawn Hannity and Mark Levin and forcing syndicator to hire them to get Limbaugh.

Richard Epstein over at Hoover provided one two weeks ago - 500 total deaths in the U.S., 50,000 total deaths worldwide, and 1 million total cases worldwide. We'll blow through all those by tomorrow.

Esper —> drug control interdiction diversion — blame Venezuela — thanking trump — this gets worse everyday

The economist is correct if and only if interest rates remain low. Meaning that borrowers are willing to buy U.S. debt by the barrel.
The economist is Paul Krugman, who definitely knows what he's talking about. ;)

However, we do have to note that the debt-to-GDP ratio soared between 2008 and 2012, and flattened out after that. It looks like he has a very long time frame for that $2 trillion debt eventually shrinking compared to GDP.

The economist is Paul Krugman, who definitely knows what he's talking about. ;)

However, we do have to note that the debt-to-GDP ratio soared between 2008 and 2012, and flattened out after that. It looks like he has a very long time frame for that $2 trillion debt eventually shrinking compared to GDP.

I'm saying he is right but contextually. But, if people sour of government bonds with next to no interest we'll be in trouble.

Those bonds are considered "safe" because people "know" the government will pay them back, and they are considered "safe" because dollars are considered reputable currency. If either of those ideas gets problematic the debt snowballs.

There is not in my opinion the option for unlimited borrowing, eventually, there's a limit.

Last edited:
Do they disable it when they sell a computer in LA?

They probably gave it to you for free, out of pity. :lamo

I don't know what they do in Los Angeles.

They probably gave it to you for free, out of pity. :lamo

I don't know what they do in Los Angeles.

...bottomless pit.....

You understand the reasoning to try to slow this, don't you? Oh wait forgot who I was talking to.......

We must have already slowed it if 60% of the population already has it and only .0001% of the population has died from it.

There will be many millions of cases worldwide and a lot of deaths ... more than a typical flu. It'll end up being about 3 to 5 times deadlier than a seasonal flu strain, which is millions of people, considering the typical flu kills 400K in a year. That's what I realistically expect from this virus. If we open up, it will spread faster and more people will get sick, but there is a large swath of action between doing nothing and locking down our society.

And then there's the more vital threshold -- how grim should things have to be before we set aside our rights? A hell of a lot worse than coronavirus, if you ask me.

For those criticizing Rush, raise your hand if you, esteemed anonymous forum poster, have also been awarded a Medal of Freedom. If not, maybe you should consider listening to Rush.

Any medal given by a man who is the most incompetent president in history would not be a medal I would brag about.

There will be many millions of cases worldwide and a lot of deaths ... more than a typical flu. It'll end up being about 3 to 5 times deadlier than a seasonal flu strain, which is millions of people, considering the typical flu kills 400K in a year. That's what I realistically expect from this virus. If we open up, it will spread faster and more people will get sick, but there is a large swath of action between doing nothing and locking down our society.

And then there's the more vital threshold -- how grim should things have to be before we set aside our rights? A hell of a lot worse than coronavirus, if you ask me.

What you're not doing is citing any evidence for your more reasonable threat assessment. Why do I care what "Ghostly Joe" says about the number of possible deaths? I don't mean that to be insulting, but when you dismiss the threat assessments of e.g. the UK team, that put the toll in the U.S. alone at over 2 million, without considering additional deaths because of a collapse of our healthcare system, and the additional deaths not-COVID related that would cause, there should be a reason other than you don't like the number, or what it means for public policy.

I've not seen that from anyone, and your back of the envelope guesses don't substitute as a good reason to reject the threat assessments of others whose careers are dealing with pandemics, the spread, etc.

What you're not doing is citing any evidence for your more reasonable threat assessment. Why do I care what "Ghostly Joe" says about the number of possible deaths? I don't mean that to be insulting, but when you dismiss the threat assessments of e.g. the UK team, that put the toll in the U.S. alone at over 2 million, without considering additional deaths because of a collapse of our healthcare system, and the additional deaths not-COVID related that would cause, there should be a reason other than you don't like the number, or what it means for public policy.

I've not seen that from anyone, and your back of the envelope guesses don't substitute as a good reason to reject the threat assessments of others whose careers are dealing with pandemics, the spread, etc.

Here you go.

There are your projections, ranges, everything. That's one model with updated information and continually revised projections. Just look at those ranges! Worse-case scenario does not mean "likely outcome."

Here you go.

There are your projections, ranges, everything. That's one model with updated information and continually revised projections. Just look at those ranges! Worse-case scenario does not mean "likely outcome."

It can if you just ignore the problem.

Back
Top Bottom