• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Plinking - The love of simple things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this....I think they also shoot aspirin tablets.

My old Marlin model 60 works nicely for plinking, but for anything like the above, its going to need a better scope...its got a cheap little luger 4X on it right now; good for yard vermin, bit not real precision.

My daughter takes pennies and dimes to shoot at.

"Plinking refers to informal target shooting done for pleasure typically at non-standard targets such as tin cans, logs, soda bottles, or any other homemade or naturally occurring target.[1] A person engaging in the plinking exercise is colloquially known as a "plinkster"."

Plinking - Wikipedia

ie: Not an animal

So it's been suggested that a live animal might be regarded as a "plinking" target, who would agree with that ?

My daughter takes pennies and dimes to shoot at.

My daughter started with POG's......My Uncle was a former USMC marksmanship instructor, and took her under his wing; he started her with an old Savage single shot lever action at progressively longer distances after he pounded the basics of safety, sight picture, breath control, and trigger squeeze into her head.

My daughter started with POG's......My Uncle was a former USMC marksmanship instructor, and took her under his wing; he started her with an old Savage single shot lever action at progressively longer distances after he pounded the basics of safety, sight picture, breath control, and trigger squeeze into her head.

I would like to claim my daughter's expertise was through my example. But I would be lying.

She had friends who shot and she picked it up naturally.

"Plinking refers to informal target shooting done for pleasure typically at non-standard targets such as tin cans, logs, soda bottles, or any other homemade or naturally occurring target.[1] A person engaging in the plinking exercise is colloquially known as a "plinkster"."

Plinking - Wikipedia

So it's been suggested that a live animal might be regarded as a "plinking" target, who would agree with that ?

What is the matter with you?

any other homemade or naturally occurring target.

I would like to claim my daughter's expertise was through my example. But I would be lying.

She had friends who shot and she picked it up naturally.

Good to have friends like that.

Good to have friends like that.

My daughter started in martial arts, moved to sword combat, then graduated to firearms.

People ask me if I ever missed not having sons.

Not with my daughters. One asked in sixth grade for throwing knives for her birthday. She got them. :)

My daughter started in martial arts, moved to sword combat, then graduated to firearms.

People ask me if I ever missed not having sons.

Not with my daughters. One asked in sixth grade for throwing knives for her birthday. She got them. :)

:mrgreen:

Making Dad proud.

I knew Baby Girl Bum had arrived when she finally asked for a Ruger 10/22 for the range, but she still kept my old Savage Model 72.

But is shooting at a live animal regarded as "plinking" ?

Plinking - Wikipedia

Im bored and will entertain this for a few rounds.

I think it depends on what the animal is. Elk, deer, bear, duck, etc.. I would not consider "plinking"

Animals such as gopher, swallow, field mouse, etc... I would consider animals that could be covered under "plinking"

I think it depends on what the animal is. Elk, deer, bear, duck, etc.. I would not consider "plinking"

Animals such as gopher, swallow, field mouse, etc... I would consider animals that could be covered under "plinking"

I agree. Nothing says that informal target shooting can't also serve to control the numbers of some vermin like English Sparrows and Starlings.

Isn't a swallow a bird ?

Would shooting rabbits be "plinking" or hunting ?

Isn't a swallow a bird ?

If you are actively pursuing them afield, I would classify it as hunting.

If you are sitting in your lawn chair just picking off the odd bunny that ventures into your garden I think it could easily be called plinking. Illegal plinking in some cases though. So in those cases, maybe a gray area.

No gray area with teeing off on invasive vermin like English sparrows from the comfort of a backyard lounge seat though.

Isn't a swallow a bird ?

Yes it is a bird.

Rabbit all depends on how your going after a rabbit. Sitting on a porch drinking tea popping Bugs as he nibbled on lettuce I consider plinking. Having dogs run one ina field is more hunting.

swallows are protected I believe federally due to being migratory. We have 18-20 active nests in our horse barn, which is great since the parents eat mosquitos and biting flies constantly to feed their nestlings

If you are actively pursuing them afield, I would classify it as hunting.

If you are sitting in your lawn chair just picking off the odd bunny that ventures into your garden I think it could easily be called plinking. Illegal plinking in some cases though. So in those cases, maybe a gray area.

No gray area with teeing off on invasive vermin like English sparrows from the comfort of a backyard lounge seat though.

The house I grew up in was surrounded by woods with a deck in the rear (two story deck). We'd sit under the awning 15 yards from a bunch of mulberry trees and whack starlings for hours. At night, we could turn on the spot lights and watch the coons, foxes and possums feasting

The house I grew up in was surrounded by woods with a deck in the rear (two story deck). We'd sit under the awning 15 yards from a bunch of mulberry trees and whack starlings for hours. At night, we could turn on the spot lights and watch the coons, foxes and possums feasting

That's plinking. Over bait. :) Mulberry trees attract lots of birds. We had one in our yard when I was a kid. Now way back when I was limited to a Daisy BB gun I would have considered going after English sparrows and starlings more akin to hunting. You have to actively pursue and gain really good position to hope to do much damage with a BB gun.

That's plinking. Over bait. :) Mulberry trees attract lots of birds. We had one in our yard when I was a kid. Now way back when I was limited to a Daisy BB gun I would have considered going after English sparrows and starlings more akin to hunting. You have to actively pursue and gain really good position to hope to do much damage with a BB gun.

we had a collection of air guns-a couple Sheridan Blue Streaks, a HW 55 target airgun (which shot plenty fast enough to kill starlings or pigeons) and a SW C02 pistol that looked like a Model 41

we had a collection of air guns-a couple Sheridan Blue Streaks, a HW 55 target airgun (which shot plenty fast enough to kill starlings or pigeons) and a SW C02 pistol that looked like a Model 41

A friend of mine had a Benjamin pump up air rifle. It was the envy of those of us with Daisy BB guns and even those with the old Crossman pump up rifles. He was perpetually short on ammo though. The pellets were an odd size- I think .20 caliber- and weren't as readily available as .177 or steel BBs.

A friend of mine had a Benjamin pump up air rifle. It was the envy of those of us with Daisy BB guns and even those with the old Crossman pump up rifles. He was perpetually short on ammo though. The pellets were an odd size- I think .20 caliber- and weren't as readily available as .177 or steel BBs.

sheridans were 20. Benjamins were 177 or 22. The companies merged at some point.

Yes it is a bird.

Rabbit all depends on how your going after a rabbit. Sitting on a porch drinking tea popping Bugs as he nibbled on lettuce I consider plinking. Having dogs run one ina field is more hunting.

So you regard hunting birds as "plinking" ?

I wonder how many others will agree that plinking includes shooting at live animals ?

Would you consider shooting at live animals to be "plinking"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom