• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pitbulls

I blame the owner when someone is attacked, but I blame the breed for being dangerous in the first place. All dog breeds are wolf hybrids, if you go back far enough. Some are more domesticated than others.

Please tell me which dogs are more domesticated than others?

(I hope this isn't sorted out by size.)

That has more to do with individual owners than it does breeds. Training a dog to have nice manners and to know her place is something that every dog owner is responsible for.

Perhaps there are two issues at hand. If there were no dog owners, would a wild pack of Chihuahuas be as dangerous as a wild pack of Pit Bulls? How about a wild pack of English Mastiffs, which are large and powerful but notoriously gentle? Obviously breed is significant in this instance. I would rather fight a Pit Bull than a Mastiff, but I would rather sleep near a Mastiff than a Pit Bull.

Now I contend that it is impossible to train a dog for every situation. Some seem to think otherwise. Even if this is so, you must admit that the average dog owner is not going to train their dog perfectly. Does this matter? Yes, because as shown above, some breeds are naturally more dangerous. If you get a Basset Hound, Shih Tzu, Pekingese, etc., then negligent training likely won't matter. If you get a Pit Bull, it could be deadly.

Last edited:
We're having an issue in our neighborhood regarding a Pitbull. I'm against this breed, having been bitten by a Pitbull in an unprovoked attack. I believe they are a violence prone breed. I have two dogs myself, a Bab and a order Collie/Australian Shepherd.

Dog Bite Statistics from dogexpert.com

FOUL!!

That's dog profiling! The politically correct thing to do is let your kids play with just as many Pitt's and Rott's as you would poodles. What are you a dog racist? :rofl

FOUL!!

That's dog profiling! The politically correct thing to do is let your kids play with just as many Pitt's and Rott's as you would poodles. What are you a dog racist? :rofl

:prof Black dogs are the least adopted dogs.

I'll never own one.

I talked to my neighbor today. His daughter is now pregnant, the new husband from Georgia is still unemployed, but doesn't have time to get a job because he's "taking care of that damn dog is a fulltime job". I asked if they were going to be getting their own place now, since things might get a little tense with all of them in a small house. He said that things have already gotten tense and that they would definitely be moving out before the baby is born.

Chalk another one up for the welfare rolls. :rolleyes: We all will be glad to see the dog gone though.

:prof Black dogs are the least adopted dogs.

'Tis true and reminds me of when I got my second dog...

My yellow lab, Ben who is 100lb drooling lummox, was given to me by a friend. I also have a black lab, Riley who is 84 pounds, and I adopted him at the pound.

Took the kids to the pound, and told them we were going to get a little (yorkie-like) lap dog.

Well, we go in and I see all these poor dogs in kennels.. jumping, barking, whining for attention. Broke my heart. Wish I could have taken all of them home....

I spot a black lab in a corner kennel, and there he sits.. calmly wagging his tail and quivering with excitement. He's sporting a southwestern style bandana and the officer on duty told me, "He draws attention, but nobody has taken the plunge with him yet... unfortunately, his time is almost up." He then proceeded to tell me that most of the dogs they get in that are black, wind up being put down because they "scare" people. I don't get it. :(

So I walk over and take him out to the play yard. The kids and him hit it off and the rest is history.

Now I have two huge, drooling, eating me out of house and home Labs who THINK they are lap dogs! :D

That sounds a lot like when we adopted Tally. She was cowering in the cage, but she crawled to the edge to lick my hand. My daughter and I took her outside, and knew she had to come home with us. We meant to get a tiny little dog, and the last thing I planned to adopt was a part pitbull, but she is just so damn sweet. I like that she is a "real dog" versus a puny yappy little thing. She rarely barks, and only if she thinks there is someone outside (or if the fire alarm gets set off), and she's short haired and always smells clean. She's also wicked smart.

The last dog we had was a 100 lb. uncut male American Bulldog, so we know how to be alphas at our house already. We ended up keeping him for a year for a friend of mine.

Last edited:
While some breeds seem to get more media attention for being 'killers', just a reminder that any breed of family dog can 'snap'. They are still animals and they still can bite - no matter what their breed:

Boy attacked by Labrador Retriever
ERIE – Police shot and killed a family dog after it attacked and severely injured a 9-year-old boy on Monday.

The dog, a black Labrador Retriever named Gordie, had been with the family for seven years and never had any problems with other people or kids, according to Amanda Jolliff, the boy’s mother.

"I had that dog for seven years and he never showed any kind of aggression towards a human being at all," said Jolliff.

According to Jolliff, her son, Josh, was playing outside when he heard Gordie whining while chained up.

"He just started doing his puppy whining. Josh went over to pet him, to reassure him, 'It's okay.' The dog just snapped," said Jolliff.

Josh went over to pet Gordie and the dog attacked, biting the right side of his head, left shoulder and left hand, Jolliff says.

“Josh has thousands of stitches to his head, I would say,” said Jolliff./snip/

Veterinarian Barbara Mclucas says it's a painful lesson that any animal can be aggressive at any time. /snip/

While some breeds seem to get more media attention for being 'killers', just a reminder that any breed of family dog can 'snap'. They are still animals and they still can bite - no matter what their breed:

The woman in France who had to receive a face transplant was bitten by her own Labrador.

HAILEY, Idaho (AP) - March 12, 2007 -- A house cat attacked its owner, sending her to the hospital by ambulance with more than 20 bite wounds.

6abc.com: House Cat Loses Temper, Attacks Owner 3/12/07

If people want to take isolated incidents and attach them to every case they will wind up living in a bubble, all alone.

A man in East Midlands killed his two children aged three and four and committed suicide....

An Alabama man is accused of killing his four young children...

A man and his wife allegedly killed their three children in Orissa’s Bargarh district because they could not manage to feed them....

In San-Zhong near Taipei, a man and his wife killed their two little boys, putting them in a sealed room filled with carbon monoxide, and committed suicide...

In an incident of infanticide in Tamil Nadu, a mother named Lakshmi squeezed the milky sap from an oleander shrub, mixed it with castor oil, and forced the poisonous potion down the new-born's throat. The baby bled from the nose, then died soon afterward...

Andrea Yates, a mother of five who methodically drowned all of her children in a bathtub then calmly called police...

Child Murder Incidents | Fillicide Cases | Sexual Abuse | Raped Women

Where are the deductions that parents shouldn't have children?

Some parents shouldn't have children. Some dogs should never be pets.

And some pigs definitely shouldn't fly. :2razz:

I am a dog expert, and I earned that title the hard way. As a power company employee I've literally dealt with thousands of dogs in someone else's yard, and furthermore have recieved professional training in dealing with dogs.

Pit bulls are not, to my experience, inherently vicious unless someone made them that way. That is not to say they are "safe", as NO DOG IS SAFE. Any dog, I don't give a rat's ### what breed, may bite under the right circumstances. The only dog that is 100% sure to never bite is one that has no teeth.

The problem with Pitts is twofold:
1. Many people DO deliberately make them vicious, with the intent of using them as guard dogs. Drug dealers are particularly prone to this, and many dealer houses will be literally surrounded with Pitts on chains so that you cannot approach without encountering at least one.
2. IF A PITT does "go bad" or attack someone they shouldn't have, the Pit-bull's incredible musculature and powerful jaws make him a deadly threat.

I have "known" probably a hundred or more Pitbulls. Many of them were sweet and friendly dogs. Some were vicious. I have been attacked by a Pitt, once. The attack was very serious, the dog tried to kill me with great persistence. I was forced to kill the dog to prevent him from killing me.

Despite this I don't automatically fear Pitbulls, instead I observe their behavior before getting out of the truck and determine whether they are a threat... most Pits are NOT if not provoked, unless they've been raised to be vicious as I said. If I judge them a threat, I don't fool with them. If a pitbull was in my yard and showed any sign of aggression I would shoot him immediately. A "Bad" pit is no joke.

Some people want to ban the breed. I wouldn't go that far, but possibly classifying them as a "dangerous breed" and holding owners in higher liability if they get loose and harm someone might be reasonable.
With all due respect to your experience, I believe that breed is inherently vicious. I think they are made more so by some owners who have intentions to use them for sporting purposes, but I doubt every pitbull is used that way. With an overwhelming 50% of biting incident statistic, it is obvious that something is wrong with this breed. I know a lot of people try to defend the breed, and for a long time I withheld judgment because things aren't always what they seem. But I was looking for a small dog to own and went to several animal shelters in my area. The overwhelming majority were pitbulls or derivatives. The people working there said that they either left out as litters or people just can't handle them and bring them in. There is just too much circumstantial evidence to ignore.

Some parents shouldn't have children. Some dogs should never be pets.

No, some people shouldn't have pets. They are too ignorant and irresponsible.

No, some people shouldn't have pets. They are too ignorant and irresponsible.

I can agree with this to some extent.

So the lady in France who was passed out from taking some painkiller or something and whose face was eaten by her dog--what do you think she did or could have done wrong as a dog owner?

I have a problem when someone's face gets chewed up by a dog while essentially passed out.

So the lady in France who was passed out from taking some painkiller or something and whose face was eaten by her dog--what do you think she did or could have done wrong as a dog owner?

I have a problem when someone's face gets chewed up by a dog while essentially passed out.
Kept the dog bowl full? :mrgreen:

With all due respect to your experience, I believe that breed is inherently vicious. I think they are made more so by some owners who have intentions to use them for sporting purposes, but I doubt every pitbull is used that way. With an overwhelming 50% of biting incident statistic, it is obvious that something is wrong with this breed. I know a lot of people try to defend the breed, and for a long time I withheld judgment because things aren't always what they seem. But I was looking for a small dog to own and went to several animal shelters in my area. The overwhelming majority were pitbulls or derivatives. The people working there said that they either left out as litters or people just can't handle them and bring them in. There is just too much circumstantial evidence to ignore.

So would you favor outlawing a specific type of gun because it was popular in drive-by attacks, carjackings, and armed robberies?

Kept the dog bowl full? :mrgreen:

OMG! You are on a roll, my friend! :rofl

IT, that cannot be your answer!

I am literally laughing out loud.

I believe she had a seizure and it freaked the dog out.

It was an unfortunate incident. But it was an isolated incident.

Do you think that women shouldn't have relationships with professional athletes because of OJ Simpson?

I believe she had a seizure and it freaked the dog out.

It was an unfortunate incident. But it was an isolated incident.

Do you think that women shouldn't have relationships with professional athletes because of OJ Simpson?

Her doctors all say she had argued with one of her daughters before taking the pills.She passed out on a sofa in her apartment as the pills took effect and her black Labrador, Tania, apparently tried to wake her, pawing at her face and eventually biting and chewing at her lips, nose and chin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/14/world/europe/14iht-face.html?_r=1&pagewanted=2

I guess I don't understand why we can't be disgusted with these dog attacks. I am NEVER going to get a dog. I will make generalizations as I see fit. If I am wrong, I couldn't care less. I would never hurt a dog (unless it did something to me first).

I was asking you a genuine question--what did an owner like her do wrong to cause the dog to attack her? You're blaming dog attacks on the owners. Why don't you substantiate your allegation?

Back
Top Bottom