• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Parkland shooter video?[W:50]

Lutherf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't know if this is actually the kid and, if so, I don't know how long it will be up on YouTube but this kid is one sick puppy.

Fair warning, the video, while not violent or profane, does show someone with a really messed up head. It could be troubling for some people. For those that do watch it, the kid gives all kinds of reasons for doing what he did and those reasons are the signs you need to look for if you want to catch one of these kids before he pops his cork.

-edit-

I guess this was released due to a public records request by various media organizations.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/parkland-school-shooting-suspect-recorded-videos-discussing-plan-n878746

Last edited:
Re: Parkland shooter video?

And what do you suppose can be done when a kid of legal purchasing age (who you suspect is "about to pop his cork") wants to buy an arsenal?

And what do you suppose can be done when a kid of legal purchasing age (who you suspect is "about to pop his cork") wants to buy an arsenal?

The idea is to recognize the signs of serious mental illness (Borderline Personality and Bipolar II in particular) and get the afflicted person help before they do something that can't be undone.

The idea is to recognize the signs of serious mental illness (Borderline Personality and Bipolar II in particular) and get the afflicted person help before they do something that can't be undone.

Do you think your GOP brethren are ready to support the huge expenditures of tax money that such mental health screening, monitoring and remediation will cost?

HINT: It's not going to happen.
Talking about addressing mental health concerns to reduce gun violence is a smoke screen and a pipe dream.

Do you think your GOP brethren are ready to support the huge expenditures of tax money that such mental health screening, monitoring and remediation will cost?

HINT: It's not going to happen.
Talking about addressing mental health concerns to reduce gun violence is a smoke screen and a pipe dream.

Why does recognizing the signs of serious mental health problems need to be a government program? Why can't you and other people take a little time out of your busy day to give a little consideration to what someone around you said or did? Why can't you at least consider putting some personal effort into the issue of school shootings?

Why does recognizing the signs of serious mental health problems need to be a government program? Why can't you and other people take a little time out of your busy day to give a little consideration to what someone around you said or did? Why can't you at least consider putting some personal effort into the issue of school shootings?

LOL. You are making a lot of foolish assumptions, both about me, and the country we live in.

Suspicion of mental illness is simply not enough to deny someone their second amendment rights... even if there was someone willing/able to implement any programs addressing mental health concerns.

Are you new here?

Because people are generally paranoid. Do you really want Joe citizen to make some sort of pseudo diagnosis and then have the cops called on someone each time that person says something subjective to Joe Citizen? Talk about enacting the thought police.

Are you willing to have YOUR firearms taken away or put on some no-buy list for firearms each time Joe Citizen tells the cops you said something he didn't like?

I can understand you not wanting this to be a government solution but it should at least be a PROFESSIONAL solution and not just Joe Citizen with his "spider senses".

Well, that's it.

My hope was that someone out there would, first, actually watch the video, and second, take a minute to think about what the kid was saying and why he might have been saying it. Per usual, it was a futile effort.

Listen, this isn't supposed to be about gun control. There is a whole different forum for that. This is supposed to be about recognizing signs of serious mental illness in the hope it can stave off a school shooting or two. Believe it or not, there may be other ways to make a positive impact on this matter than just gun bans and more regulation.

The biggest issue we will experience with the mental health aspect to mass shootings is when intervention can occur, and when it does what exactly happens. It is doubtful there will be a one path solution to this nor will it be all that quick.

While the bigger goal may be to get to these people far earlier that becomes an even bigger challenge on identification then applying help.

Unfortunately with this case we are back to a question on who knew what and when to decide what might have happened but it is all after the fact.

We want to focus on the person, it just may take real discussion on how we go about this. The video should provoke that conversation, unsure it will.

Poor, messed up kid...unfortunately we have no one but ourselves/society to blame for breeding this kind of contempt...it's happening all over...no one has any regards for another person's feelings anymore...no buffer...we even see it here...name calling and character defaming...sad, very sad...until society changes, it will continue to escalate ...

Poor, messed up kid...unfortunately we have no one but ourselves/society to blame for breeding this kind of contempt...it's happening all over...no one has any regards for another person's feelings anymore...no buffer...we even see it here...name calling and character defaming...sad, very sad...until society changes, it will continue to escalate ...

Exactly.

The first step to curing this problem
Is the one we take ourselves. We can’t just pawn the problem off on government to fix. We have to be willing to invest a little personal effort or we’ll never get anything done.

For others who have posted here, “personal effort” involves more than ranting on a political discussion board or voting for the politician who says what you want to hear.

For others who have posted here, “personal effort” involves more than ranting on a political discussion board or voting for the politician who says what you want to hear.

For the record... and because it bears repeating since you missed it the first time...

YOU HAVE NO IDEA what others are doing, or have done, to address this, or any other social issue being discussed on this board.
And you look extremely foolish with your insinuations that you do.

Exactly.

The first step to curing this problem
Is the one we take ourselves. We can’t just pawn the problem off on government to fix. We have to be willing to invest a little personal effort or we’ll never get anything done.

Exactly...if you're not part of the solution, then you are definitely part of the problem...the ranting done here doesn't help matters any either...people think they can say anything they want anonymously on the net and it definitely carries over into real life...

Well, that's it.

My hope was that someone out there would, first, actually watch the video, and second, take a minute to think about what the kid was saying and why he might have been saying it. Per usual, it was a futile effort.

Listen, this isn't supposed to be about gun control. There is a whole different forum for that. This is supposed to be about recognizing signs of serious mental illness in the hope it can stave off a school shooting or two. Believe it or not, there may be other ways to make a positive impact on this matter than just gun bans and more regulation.

As for me, I appreciate you posting the video. It gave me a lot of insight into the person that committed this awful act. It also made me ask myself how anyone that affected by, what to me is, obvious mental illness was never identified as needing mental health assistance. How could no one have seen where this boy was at mentally? Friends, neighbors, teachers, classmates, his parents or other family members?

It was chilling for me to watch. Yet, it should be watched by everyone that wants to see signs they can be aware of in others, to just maybe be able to help another person that's going through a similar mental health issue, and save their life, and maybe the lives of many others.

Again, thank you for posting this video.

Mental health care and recognizing signs of mental health problems will have a cost associated to it.

If someone believes John Doe has mental health problems and reports it, for that to be effective something will have to be done about it. I doubt anyone will accept having a private company come along and commit a person to an institution for mental health observation without a government order approving it. I doubt Americans will approve the police being able to take guns away from people with a medical diagnoses saying the person has mental health issues and presents a danger to themselves of others.

The above would have to be funded, and I doubt the person who has mental health issues would be willing to pay for the cost of being committed or have his/her guns taken away because they were required to pay for a psychiatrist they did not want to pay for.

The government would have to be the one to pony up the costs to support any mental health programs meant as a way to help control mass shootings. No other potential payers would be willing. Certainly not those with mental health issues (real or just accused of)

For the record... and because it bears repeating since you missed it the first time...

YOU HAVE NO IDEA what others are doing, or have done, to address this, or any other social issue being discussed on this board.
And you look extremely foolish with your insinuations that you do.

Then tell us. What have YOU done to help the situation? What are you willing to do?

Then tell us. What have YOU done to help the situation? What are you willing to do?

I've worked for MANY years in the mental health field.

Now it's your turn.
What have you done?

EDIT: Actually... you know what? Don't bother.
It's obvious from your naivete here that you have no experience with this.

Last edited:

I'm so disappointed! I thought this was going to be some footage, finally, from one or more of the 26 video surveillance cameras inside the school that would show Cruz in action doing the dirty deed. Alas, not to be.

Instead we get some ramblings from a youngster raised on powerful psychoactive drugs seeking his 15 minutes of fame.

Oh well, life goes on.

I'm so disappointed! I thought this was going to be some footage, finally, from one or more of the 26 video surveillance cameras inside the school that would show Cruz in action doing the dirty deed. Alas, not to be.

Instead we get some ramblings from a youngster raised on powerful psychoactive drugs seeking his 15 minutes of fame.

Oh well, life goes on.

lol...

Why the act? It's not like you'd admit to being wrong if it was complete video of the shootings. You'd just say people weren't running in the way they should run, therefore conspiracy. Or maybe that it was filmed elsewhere and they're all crisis actors.

After all, when one has used a psychotic lie like "crisis actor", they are quite obviously ready to dismiss any and all evidence that contradicts whatever delusion they're selling.

This kid is a piece of crap and should be flushed ASAP.

Well, that's it.

I watched part of the vid clip last night...until the grandiosity got to me.

And the thing about Cruz is that there were myriad missed opportunities.

Oh well, life goes on.

Not for the innocent people he killed. Flippancy for the loss.

Not for the innocent people he killed. Flippancy for the loss.

Not for the people executed on St. Valentine's Day, no. Problems are that those reporting seeing the shooter(s) describe him as being dressed differently than Cruz was that day, and from 26 surveillance cameras we have seen nothing. If it was such a certain thing, the cops would have pictures of it all over the media.

So far, no proof that Cruz was the assassin.

Not for the people executed on St. Valentine's Day, no. Problems are that those reporting seeing the shooter(s) describe him as being dressed differently than Cruz was that day, and from 26 surveillance cameras we have seen nothing. If it was such a certain thing, the cops would have pictures of it all over the media.

So far, no proof that Cruz was the assassin.

So I guess it's physically imppossible for someone to change clothes in the same day.

So I guess it's physically imppossible for someone to change clothes in the same day.

Your guess would be wrong. People change clothes all the time. So far, no reports from the police or anybody else that Cruz did so. They claimed to have found his gun, but no word about clothes. They have not reported finding any clothes that match the description provided by witnesses to the shooters.

With an announced training exercise going on, you would think they would be especially vigilant regarding finding discarded body armor and face masks.

Back
Top Bottom