• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Only a theocracy would make Jesus' birthday a national holiday

I can't be the only person who thinks this. It's time for atheists and secularists to step up and demand an end to this clear violation of the separation of church and state clause of the constitution.
Then go to work on Monday.

I can't be the only person who thinks this. It's time for atheists and secularists to step up and demand an end to this clear violation of the separation of church and state clause of the constitution.

You clearly have no understanding of protected first amendment rights nor an understanding of free enterprising businesses, the latter who celebrates the holiday on Christmas Day without asking for their atheist and secularist employees their opinion.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

Just consider the idea of secular religions, and you'll be able to accept this.

Says the guy who thinks “Black Holes” is a racist term.

Leave my paid holidays alone.

You have this - In fact, though the term may be used freely, Christmas isn’t really a “national” holiday in the U.S.; rather, it is a federal holiday and a holiday in the states. Neither the President nor Congress exercises the power to declare a holiday that would apply to everyone in all of the states at once, the Congressional Research Service points out.

And - Finally, on June 28, 1870, toward the end of the legislative session, President Ulysses S. Grant signed into a bill designating Christmas a legal, unpaid holiday for federal employees in the District of Columbia.

The legislation also included holidays like the Fourth of July and New Year’s Day. Such holidays were later extended to federal employees outside of D.C., but a provision making sure they got paid on those days didn’t exist until 1938.

Plus - giving federal workers the day off, which is all the federal holiday does, does not ‘support’ any religion — it doesn’t require anyone to do anything religious, it just says the office won’t be open,”

More here - https://time.com/4608452/christmas-america-national-holiday/

I'm very much a secularist too but I don't think this is the right hill to die on. Christmas has become such a secular holiday these days that you get as many Christians complaining as secularists. There are plenty of more insidious religious influences to worry about, especially in the US.

Incidentally, while Christmas was made a national holiday here in the UK under an effective theocracy, it was also banned for many years under puritan rule.

I am all for keeping Christmas a national holiday, cause it is based on pagan traditions, and anything that upsets Jehovah's Witnesses we gotta support!

It’s time for the anti Zionist bigots to stop harassing the Christians and Jews. Freedom of religion doesn’t mean freedom from religion. The Federal government recognizes the majority of religious groups in this country are in fact Christians and will take the day off regardless of your misinterpretations.

He was born and lived, so his birthday is only an acknowledgement of a fact.

Even Jefferson disagrees with you !!

Jefferson wrote, “I am a real Christian, that is to say a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus.” He called Christ's teachings “the most sublime and benevolent code of morals which has ever been offered to man.” He urged “getting back to the plain and unsophisticated precepts of Christ.”

WE can all see why we don't celebrate your birthday

Hate to break it to you, but Jesus wasn’t born in December.

Christmas is a cultural holiday. Plenty of people celebrate Christmas and aren’t practicing Christians
WRONG on 3 counts.

1) Christmas was to celebrate His birth not to establish any date.
2) IF Jesus is mentioned 2000 years later maybe just maybe there is a cultural significance.
3)Nor is it religious in any official way , as you turn it into a "who believes" rather "He who is believed"

Don't you remember Washington on Guy Fawkes day celebrations ??????????????????????

As the American Revolution began, Guy Fawkes was still celebrated in America, too (although the colonists usually called it Pope’s Day). Or, at least, it was celebrated until George Washington intervened in 1775.
On November 5, Washington’s general orders blasted “that ridiculous and childish Custom of burning the Effigy of the pope” and expressed “his surprise that there should be Officers and Soldiers, in this army so void of common sense, as not to see the impropriety of such a step at this Juncture.” He ordered them to stop: “At such a juncture, and in such Circumstances, to be insulting their Religion, is so monstrous, as not to be suffered, or excused,” he concluded.

Yet again,you show poor logic, lack of history knowledge, and misuse of words
Christmas is the recognition of the effect of Jesus and not (as you want it to be) religous test.

Would you give some examples of "clear violation"?

It should be a plank on the Democrat platform. Remove Christmas as a public holiday. When is George Floyds birthday? Paying public employees for the days off or double or triple if they work is an affront to the constitution /s
Christmas does not violate the constitution.

George Floyd was a career criminal who attached a cop and tried to take his gun.
You fined him admirable?

And it had nothing to do with race. Don't believe it? Attack a cop and try to take his gun and see what happens.

Wow, I wonder what the people who were killed for heresy think? If you were a person of science, your life was in danger every day from the church.
Don't confuse The Church with Christianity.
When The Church does something bad, that's the human members of the church, not Christianity.

I'm very much a secularist too but I don't think this is the right hill to die on. Christmas has become such a secular holiday these days that you get as many Christians complaining as secularists. There are plenty of more insidious religious influences to worry about, especially in the US.

Incidentally, while Christmas was made a national holiday here in the UK under an effective theocracy, it was also banned for many years under puritan rule.
As a "secularist" it take it that you don't believe in God.

What is your alternative to creation?

Don't confuse The Church with Christianity.
When The Church does something bad, that's the human members of the church, not Christianity.
And when priests rape little boys it isn't christianity doing it, it's their representatives.

Lol capitalism pulled Christianity's fangs a long time ago. Christmas in America is first and foremost an arreligious orgy of consumerism.

As a "secularist" it take it that you don't believe in God.
That isn't what "secularist" means. It is about not having religion directly involved in government. Plenty of religious people and theists are also secularists (including all the ones who don't know they are).

As it happens, I don't believe in any god or gods, but that's a coincidence. :cool:

What is your alternative to creation?
Why would I need one?

There is no violation of the first amendment by having a federal holiday for Christmas. "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion..."

Where is this clause to which you refer?

Don't practice.

Back
Top Bottom