• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama remains only President to record trillion-dollar deficits!

You need to get an education in basic civics. Presidents have nothing to do with budgets, deficits, or surpluses, particularly when Congress passes the budget with a veto-proof majority. There was no "Trump tax cut" or "Trump deficit" or "Trump" anything. These are acts of Congress, not the President. Trump has had no opportunity to have any influence on the budget since he has taken office. Not a single budget he has proposed was ever passed by Congress.

So the next time you want to discuss the budget, deficits, and/or surpluses, leave the President out of it because they have nothing to do with any of that.

Hmmm, I remember the signing ceremony, and the crowing about his tax cut still continues. Tell me why to leave Agent Orange out of it again?

You're right, it was the slowest recovery. And it has created the longest period of economic expansion in our nation's history. No you can go ahead and claim djt is responsible for the economic growth, and explain why he added $1.2 trillion in stimulus to a growing economy.
LOL, yeah, an economy "growing" at 1.6% :roll: A DJIA that gained barely 1000 points in his final two years - not counting the "growth spurt" after Trump was elected.

LOL, yeah, an economy "growing" at 1.6% :roll: A DJIA that gained barely 1000 points in his final two years - not counting the "growth spurt" after Trump was elected.

LOL The Dow went up more under Obama.

dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years.png

The standards you apply seems to vary depending on whether or not you like who is in office.

Probably not; I criticized GWB for lack of spending control, too. I liked his tax policies, disagreed with him on other things. Back then there were even a few TRUE LIBERAL DEMS (not progressives) that I respected. Not so much anymore.

LOL Not according to this....

dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years.png

This absolutely supports what I said; Obama's final two years were 2015 and 2016. Trump was elected in early November so his "growth spurt begins toward the end of 2016. Let's be generous and call the djia at the beginning of 2015 18000; now follow that 18,000 line across. Notice the big upward swing near the end of 2016? That's the "Trump bounce" beginning at around 18,000.

The actual DJIA numbers:

Jan 9, 2015: 17,737
Nov 4, 2016 (Trump election day, beginning of trump bounce) 17888
Jan 20, 2017 (Trump Inauguration) 19,827

QED

This absolutely supports what I said; Obama's final two years were 2015 and 2016. Trump was elected in early November so his "growth spurt begins toward the end of 2016. Let's be generous and call the djia at the beginning of 2015 18000; now follow that 18,000 line across. Notice the big upward swing near the end of 2016? That's the "Trump bounce" beginning at around 18,000.

The actual DJIA numbers:

QED
The orange bounce happened BEFORE he took office, so he gets credit for it!

The actual DJIA numbers:

QED

Yes massive tax cuts and Govt. spending increases do help increase the Dow. But at the cost of equally massive deficit increases. But of course Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. :lamo

You're correct on that; Obama's recovery was the slowest of any since WW II.

I agree, it was the slowest recovery since WWII. It was also the start of the longest period of sustained economic growth in our nation's history. Run down Obama's GDP numbers? Read what djt claimed (At a Cabinet meeting Wednesday, Trump told reporters he's holding out for the prospect of U.S. gross domestic product more than doubling to a 6 percent annual growth rate), compare it to facts, and tell me again how his GDP is doing now.

You need to get that education yourself; particularly in the federal budget process. And also learn how the President works with congress on tax and budget issues.

You are obviously ignorant of the fact that not a single proposed budget by any President has ever passed Congress. Not one. The only voice a President has is with his veto authority, and that assumes the bill isn't passed with a veto-proof majority. Which they have been in Trump's case. Congress also passed 6 of the 8 budgets under Obama with veto-proof majorities, and 5 of the 8 budgets under Bush43.

The House originates all appropriations, not Presidents. You are embarrassing yourself with your lack of civics education.

Your answer is truly pathetic. I know you want to blame congress since they control the purse strings but if you look back people didn't dare go against bush and his war for fear of being called a traitor to america, not after nine eleven. The bush/cheney/rumsfeld trio of evil pushed america into that war and bush BORROWED and spent, he didn't have the balls to tax and spend and that left america in a deep hole that obama dug us out of.

My answer is based upon basic civics. Yours is based upon fantasy. Presidents have nothing do with the economy. At the very best you might be able to argue that because the President appoints the Chairman of the Federal Reserve they can very indirectly effect the economy, but that would be stretching it. There was nothing any President has done that has harmed or helped the economy. They don't have that power, and if you actually read Article II of the US Constitution you would know that, but clearly you don't because you haven't.

It was the Democrat-controlled House that destroyed the economy in 2007 and 2008, and it was 2 years of Democrats and 6 years of Republicans controlling the House that kept the economy stagnant and unproductive for the entire 8 years Obama was President. Once again, it had absolutely nothing to do with Obama, who didn't even have any say in 6 of the 8 budgets passed by Congress. The slightly improved economy (it is still far from being good) since Trump was elected was also nothing Trump did or didn't do, since every budget passed by Congress while Trump has been President was veto-proof. Trump has had no say whatsoever.

Hmmm, I remember the signing ceremony, and the crowing about his tax cut still continues. Tell me why to leave Agent Orange out of it again?

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I remember Clinton taking credit for the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, after he vetoed it twice and threaten to veto it a third time before it passed the Republican-controlled Congress with a veto-proof majority. Politicians often take credit for things which they have no involvement. Just like presidential candidates who make promises that only Congress can keep. They know that the American voter is largely civically illiterate and so stupid they will believe anything.

That doesn't surprise me in the least. I remember Clinton taking credit for the Welfare Reform Act of 1996, after he vetoed it twice and threaten to veto it a third time before it passed the Republican-controlled Congress with a veto-proof majority. Politicians often take credit for things which they have no involvement. Just like presidential candidates who make promises that only Congress can keep. They know that the American voter is largely civically illiterate and so stupid they will believe anything.

I'm sorry, that wasn't you claiming that djt had nothing to do with the recent 'benefit the top' tax cut? Your credibility is slipping.

Democrats nation-wide on suicide watch! After two years of ranting about Trump's tax cuts causing a trillion dollar deficit, CBO says it didn't happen. It also says tax revenues went up 4% and corporate tax revenues went up 12%.

Extra credit: a little background on tax revenues for the past few fiscal years.

If you have friends who are Democrats (yeah, it COULD happen) please keep an eye on them. :lamo

Doh. You've maligned Obama's economy. Now Vern will show up. He's like a termite on a piece of soft maple.

~ The 9/11 attacks had a very negative economic impacts, some of which continue to this day. Bush was not very good at dealing with things. At such a low point things could only improve - not get worse. Obama was lackluster in dealing with the economy - much like Bush.
Trump is spending on much needed military defense and infrastructure. All Obama did was increase illegal immigration, crime, and destroyed the insurance industry.
There are fewer Americans on welfare now than before. Lower income wage earner are doing much better. Minority unemployment is at an all time low. Trade deals are being renegotiated to balance better. Manufacturing is slowly increasing in the U.S. Patriotism is no longer frowned upon.
Trump is making America American again.

I'm sorry, that wasn't you claiming that djt had nothing to do with the recent 'benefit the top' tax cut? Your credibility is slipping.

Who enacted the tax cut into law? If you claim it was Trump then we will all know that you are civically illiterate and don't know how your own government functions. Bills passed by Congress become law automatically after 10 calendar days (excluding Sundays) while Congress is in session. The President's signature is not required.

Who enacted the tax cut into law? If you claim it was Trump then we will all know that you are civically illiterate and don't know how your own government functions. Bills passed by Congress become law automatically after 10 calendar days (excluding Sundays) while Congress is in session. The President's signature is not required.

Fine, who is enforcing the tax law? The Executive, djt's involved. Trying to say he wasn't just makes you sound ignorant.

Democrats nation-wide on suicide watch! After two years of ranting about Trump's tax cuts causing a trillion dollar deficit, CBO says it didn't happen. It also says tax revenues went up 4% and corporate tax revenues went up 12%.

Extra credit: a little background on tax revenues for the past few fiscal years.

If you have friends who are Democrats (yeah, it COULD happen) please keep an eye on them. :lamo

The funny thing is that your link doesn't even talk about the deficit. But this one does...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/12/bud...est-in-seven-years.html?__source=twitter|main

The U.S. government’s red ink for fiscal 2019 swelled past the $1 trillion mark in August, the first time that level has been eclipsed in seven years, the Treasury Department reported Thursday.

The total shortfall rose to nearly $1.07 trillion, thanks to a difference between revenue and expenses of more than $214.1 billion in August.

My answer is based upon basic civics. Yours is based upon fantasy. Presidents have nothing do with the economy. At the very best you might be able to argue that because the President appoints the Chairman of the Federal Reserve they can very indirectly effect the economy, but that would be stretching it. There was nothing any President has done that has harmed or helped the economy. They don't have that power, and if you actually read Article II of the US Constitution you would know that, but clearly you don't because you haven't.

It was the Democrat-controlled House that destroyed the economy in 2007 and 2008, and it was 2 years of Democrats and 6 years of Republicans controlling the House that kept the economy stagnant and unproductive for the entire 8 years Obama was President. Once again, it had absolutely nothing to do with Obama, who didn't even have any say in 6 of the 8 budgets passed by Congress. The slightly improved economy (it is still far from being good) since Trump was elected was also nothing Trump did or didn't do, since every budget passed by Congress while Trump has been President was veto-proof. Trump has had no say whatsoever.

And you think that's the way government works? The president has nothing to do with the economy? Let's ask the farmers if they think that's true. The president started a trade war and who is it benefiting? The president sets the agenda and it's the job of congress to decided if they go along or not.

The funny thing is that your link doesn't even talk about the deficit. But this one does...

Budget deficit smashes $1 trillion mark, the highest in seven years

The U.S. government’s red ink for fiscal 2019 swelled past the $1 trillion mark in August, the first time that level has been eclipsed in seven years, the Treasury Department reported Thursday.

The total shortfall rose to nearly $1.07 trillion, thanks to a difference between revenue and expenses of more than $214.1 billion in August.
That's true; because of timing of certain payments and receipts resulted in a deficit slightly over a trillion. However, as the CBO reported the deficit for the entire fiscal year ended up below one trillion.

Back
Top Bottom