• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama remains only President to record trillion-dollar deficits!

Umm, that's what YOU are doing. The deficit is growing drastically during a time of economic prosperity and your ONLY consolation is that it did not grow as much as the CBO originally predicted.

You could not be more transparent if you tried.
Not really. I've said several times that the deficit needs to be brought under control and the rising tax revenues from Trump's tax cuts is part of the answer. Stem outlays is the key now. And that is a bi-partisan problem.

Obama's deficits were carried during a severe recession. What's Trump's excuse?
That recession ended five months after Obama took office. What's your excuse for the other three and a half years of trillion-dollar deficits?

LOL@such delicious economic illiteracy and historical revisionsim. "On it's own"?

Oh, man, thanks for the chuckle.
Your unquestioning worship of Obama is far more hilarious, as is your abject ignorance of economics.

Conservatives still do. Politicians claiming to be "conservative" - not so much.

I haven't heard a conservative mention the national debt for years. So where are these debt conscious conservatives hiding?

That recession ended five months after Obama took office. What's your excuse for the other three and a half years of trillion-dollar deficits?

The CBO link says the deficit is billions, not trillions...

The federal budget deficit was $984 billion in fiscal year 2019, the Congressional Budget Office estimates.

I don't have an excuse other than we were in a slow recovery. Again, nothing of the sort is going on now, so why is Trump running such large deficits?

Suicide watch? For crying out loud, could you be more blatantly desperate? Nobody, and I mean no body gives a flying **** about this crap. You guys are getting so pathetic in your deflection I can smell your fear from here.
Seriously? Obama's deficit? You need to try a LOT harder than that. Suicide watch fer****sakes. What a stupid post.

That’s quite the tantrum for not giving a flying ****.

:lol:

Yes, because economic effects of a recession have always been known to start and stop instantaneously.

What a ridiculous comment.
Not really.
Yes, really. The CBO predicted above $1t deficit and most people who paid attention used that number. But because that number was only slightly off, you created a thread specifically to troll those who believe differently than you, while missing the entire point of the $1t number in the first place, a number we are most definitely going to hit in FY20, three years before the CBO predicted we would hit it prior to the Trump administration.

The entire point of this thread was to needle those who don't agree with you politically, and in order to do that, you had to dishonestly parse the intent behind what the others have said.

So, yes, that is exactly what you are doing.

I've said several times that the deficit needs to be brought under control and the rising tax revenues from Trump's tax cuts is part of the answer.
That's just so stupid it makes my brain hurt to think anyone could say anything so stupid.

How does tax cuts increase tax revenues? It doesn't. A better economy definitely increases tax revenues, but there is no hard evidence the Trump tax cuts significantly altered the economic trend which started long before him.

It's like you are doing everything you can to say the stupidest things possible.

Stem outlays is the key now. And that is a bi-partisan problem.
The only way you can do that is to make old people die faster. Because Social Security and Medicare are the biggest area of growth in outlays. I don't see that happening.

What we SHOULD be doing is taxing more in a time of economic prosperity. The government should be working down the deficit, so when the next economic downturn occurs (because it will), the government will have more leverage to confront and minimize the damage. But due to the loss of revenues from the Trump tax cuts (and other factors as well, but we're mostly talking tax cuts in this post), our ability to confront the next downturn will be hampered.

Last edited:
Democrats nation-wide on suicide watch! After two years of ranting about Trump's tax cuts causing a trillion dollar deficit, CBO says it didn't happen. It also says tax revenues went up 4% and corporate tax revenues went up 12%.

Extra credit: a little background on tax revenues for the past few fiscal years.

If you have friends who are Democrats (yeah, it COULD happen) please keep an eye on them. :lamo

Obama's last year in office, Deficit was $500 B

2019: Deficit is nearly $1 T

MAGA, right? :roll:

Am I missing something here?!? You just repeated what I typed...

I was just pointing out that, technically, Obama was president during the Great Recession, meaning that you can hang the recession and the corresponding deficits on Obama.

Ummm, technically caused by bush/cheney. Take a look at a dow stock chart for bush's last two years and then tell me it was all obama's fault the economy was crap when he took over.

Hey, the recession and the massive deficits were under Obama's watch.

Tell that to Japan and their "lost decade." The Great Deficit started in 1929. We didn't recover until after WWII--1945.

You know what helped us recover from the Great Deficit? Massive government stimulus.

If Obama had done what Republicans wanted him to do--austerity--we would have double dipped.

Regardless, your claim that economies always bounce back is nonsense. Moreover, when Obama left we were down to 4.7% unemployment wich is 1% off record lows. We also had the longest streak of job growth in history at the time. Was that destined to happen too?

The reality is Obama is a moderate. He supported saving the banks and supported helping the auto industry. The stimulus worked.

The economy goes through ups and downs all the time. To deny that is ridiculous.

I was just pointing out that, technically, Obama was president during the Great Recession, meaning that you can hang the recession and the corresponding deficits on Obama.

Eh, no. The recession started before Obama took office. You can lay the deficits on him though.

The economy goes through ups and downs all the time. To deny that is ridiculous.

The downs can last a decade or more. To deny that is ridiculous.

The Lost Decade or the Lost 10 Years (失われた十年 Ushinawareta Jūnen) was a period of economic stagnation in Japan following the Japanese asset price bubble's collapse in late 1991 and early 1992. The term originally referred to the years from 1991 to 2000,[1] but recently the decade from 2001 to 2010 is often included so that the whole period is referred to as the Lost Score or the Lost 20 Years

Lost Decade (Japan) - Wikipedia

Obama got handed a terrible economy and he did a good job. Why is that so hard for you to admit?

You forgot to mention obama was handed by a republican president a crashing economy and turned it around. Trump is only adding to the deficit in a good economy.

And you forgot to mention it was the worst economic recovery on record. He did a lousy job.

The Trump cult lives in an alternate reality of alternate facts.

Your unquestioning worship of Obama is far more hilarious, as is your abject ignorance of economics.

What's even better is your utter inability to post honestly or accurately and your desperation to bring Obama into everything as a foil to hide your ignorance. "On it's own"? Comedy GOLD!

And that's fun!

Obama's deficits included the interest paid on Bush charging two wars to the credit card and his tax cuts.

You may be right, but these figures are estimates, not final numbers. I don't remember candidate trump saying he was going to bring in deficit spending just under a trillion dollars,

"Previous to that, in March 2016, he told Bob Woodward that he could get rid of the debt “fairly quickly.” When pressed, he said, “Well, I would say over a period of eight years.” Since Trump took office, his own budget director called that promise “hyperbole.”

You may also want to say that President Obama's deficit of a trillion dollars occurred in 2009. His first year in office. The year after a near global economic collapse. That was also the year when our adventurism in Iraq went onto the budget (previous Republican president was not including that expenditure on budget figures). Don't try to paint our president as any type of economic expert (except maybe on bankruptcy laws).

The CBO link says the deficit is billions, not trillions...

The federal budget deficit was $984 billion in fiscal year 2019, the Congressional Budget Office estimates.

You do understand what estimate means right? These numbers mean that if the estimate is of by 1.6%, a trillion dollar deficit will have occurred.

Based on the OP, It seems that Trump voters are really just misinformed voters.

Obama's deficits included the interest paid on Bush charging two wars to the credit card and his tax cuts.
LOL, trotting out all the bull**** liberal tropes, are we? Explain why the deficit dropped to $163 billion under Bush if he was running up all that debt. Of course, when the Dems took control of Congress in 2007, all bets were off and the deficits exploded.

LOL, nice cherry picking. "Nearly $1T ISN"T a TRILLION is it? Whereas FOUR CONSECUTIVE YEARS OVER $1T TOTALLING OVER $5.5 IS.

LOL, nice cherry picking. "Nearly $1T ISN"T a TRILLION is it? Whereas FOUR CONSECUTIVE YEARS OVER $1T TOTALLING OVER $5.5 IS.
Uh, I think the point is that orange is not dealing with a depression, as you termed it recently.....and.....his BEAUTIFUL PERFECT tax scheme was going to reap YUGE levels of revenue.

a sucker born every minute.

Back
Top Bottom