• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Now we know The Trump Administration is really Afraid.

Absolutely.

What's worse and different in this instance is the GOP control, which is essentially extending the problem from a White House cover-up to a government cover-up.

This strikes me as potentially far more dangerous than Nixon, by an infinite margin.

For about 2 years, we'll be at the mercy of GOP self-assessment.

62545480cb2594a309ec5cfc1ca9c8a5.jpg

Sure they are, but what they are covering up is that Trump was hot to trot to make a deal with Putin to advance the interests of the USA in places like Syria and Europe, if he should get elected, it was never about Putin helping to get Trump elected. That is how any story is going to get told though, because Trump is a parasite in need of off-loading according to the elite, and they will stop at nothing to get it done.
Rrrrrrriiiiiggggghhhhtttt.....

Yes, and it is very disappointing how few of us know this.

Trump is different, he marches to his own drummer (as do I), but he is not very complicated.

And you are basing this off what evidence?

And you are basing this off what evidence?

I know the man, I have known more than a few like him though they are almost all dead or "reformed" now, that is all I need.

Your mileage may vary.

wind14.gif

This is one reason I like Canada better than the US. If the law is broken, there is no way a politician can be involved. If the RCMP decides an investigation is warranted and they can get warrants etc., the only thing that could stop them would be WW3. Not even Parliament in a unanimous vote. The closest that cold come would be the appointment of an independent investigator to "review" the RCMP case. He would be named by the Speaker of the House which means he answers to no one.

I am not saying there is no corruption, hell no we just raked some Senators over the coals, but it prevents a demi-god with a handful of key insiders from doing what Trump is obviously trying to do, crown himself

The fact that being a prosecutor is in America considered the fast track to poltical success says all.

Absolutely.

What's worse and different in this instance is the GOP control, which is essentially extending the problem from a White House cover-up to a government cover-up.

This strikes me as potentially far more dangerous than Nixon, by an infinite margin.

And potentially nothing more than yet another Red Scare.

That's the problem, because justice requires probable cause before making a charge.

So many in America are no longer willing to be that civil, they've got an agenda to fill and they dont care much how they get it filled.

Nunes - "No future hearings for the Russia investigation are on the books."

Nunes said the plan was to further question FBI Director James Comey and NSA director Mike Rogers instead, but then postponed that hearing as well, citing scheduling issues. A series of additional meetings were postponed as well. Democrats say that explanation doesn't add up and want the hearings immediately rescheduled. Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA), a member of the intelligence committee, told MSNBC on Wednesday that "no future hearings for the Russia investigation are on the books."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcn...ered-questions-about-rep-nunes-russia-n740231

This is the typical Conservative Play-Book ... Ignore it and it will go away quietly. :mrgreen:

Wrong. These congressional investigations are nothing but political theater. No matter what Nunes or anyone else does, the FBI investigation continues

The fact that being a prosecutor is in America considered the fast track to poltical success says all.

And judges are elected.

When I was in high school there in the 60's, I thought the US system was the epitome of democracy. Then I started reading material NOT on the NY state approved educational material list.

Since then the underground press has died and so did Hunter S. Thompson and no one gives a **** anymore so long as "my tribe" wins. I have not seen an iota of 'statesmanship' since Lyndon Johnson decided to save the country the trouble and decided not to run again. Since then it's been all partisan bull****. The US stopped being a real democracy when thew voters let Bill Clinton get away with lying under oath. That sent a message to those who would follow that once in office you can get away with anything when you control the world's largest propaganda machine; thus "Mission Accomplished" and "you can keep your plan"

And judges are elected.

When I was in high school there in the 60's, I thought the US system was the epitome of democracy. Then I started reading material NOT on the NY state approved educational material list.

Since then the underground press has died and so did Hunter S. Thompson and no one gives a **** anymore so long as "my tribe" wins. I have not seen an iota of 'statesmanship' since Lyndon Johnson decided to save the country the trouble and decided not to run again. Since then it's been all partisan bull****. The US stopped being a real democracy when thew voters let Bill Clinton get away with lying under oath. That sent a message to those who would follow that once in office you can get away with anything when you control the world's largest propaganda machine; thus "Mission Accomplished" and "you can keep your plan"

I liked my hometown boy John B. Anderson.

But maybe I am biased.

I got raked over the coals last summer when I said Donald was far more dangerous than Nixon, even if you allow for Nixon having 'provoked' the Kent State Massacre in a speech the week before. This guy, if he can, will shred the constitution.

I would not be surprised if, two three years from now America faces a huge crisis and Trump gets his congress to cancel elections, temporarily until the crisis is over" which will be long after he has handed control to his daughter...the Tsarina
Sorry, but you brought it up [again], you see you were raked over the coals last summer because you, after you had just heralded your journalist creds, specifically stated that it was Nixon himself that ordered in the troops at Kent State. I could never get you to issue a retraction at the time... will you do it now?

Although I guess your amending it now to only "provoked" is a sure admission.

Good lord, what a disaster dreamer. So Trump isn't the Manchurian Candidate, but the Moscovian, eh? Ha ha ha ha....But then, many gullible people thought the broadcast of War of the Worlds was true, too.

And potentially nothing more than yet another Red Scare.

That's the problem, because justice requires probable cause before making a charge.

So many in America are no longer willing to be that civil, they've got an agenda to fill and they dont care much how they get it filled.
Well Flynn's just asked for immunity, and although Russia related I believe his deeds may not be fully tangential the Russian hacking, but it's a good start.

Manafort is the guy that I think may hold the key to turning on the spigot, and I do see him with a good chance of indictment. I'm thinking chances are substantial more than 50-50. If he sings, he can bring the whole mess down. Let's hope. We shall see.

All recent indications seem to be we have a White House in cover-up.

Remember, this president is not just about political power. He has the power that occurs from having enormous wealth. It's obvious to me he's gotten to Nunes (and others).

I believe sooner or later some brave and honest individual beyond reproach will talk, and the Americans and legislators supporting this President must decide if their support for him is worth a Constitutional crisis, and indeed what the Constitution means to them and what exactly does it mean to be an American itself.

I have never seen an Admin the "cover up" mode. Is this the way Nixon did it too?

Wrong. These congressional investigations are nothing but political theater. No matter what Nunes or anyone else does, the FBI investigation continues

Keep watching ... it's going to get better.

The Fat Lady is clearing her voice :mrgreen:

For about 2 years, we'll be at the mercy of GOP self-assessment.

<snip>
I wish I was that sanguine!

But it's going to take quite a bit to break the GOP Party control of our government. As long as they're getting what they want from Trump, and Trump is maintaining reasonable approval ratings with the Republican rank & file voters, Trump is secure.

Well Flynn's just asked for immunity, and although Russia related I believe his deeds may not be fully tangential the Russian hacking, but it's a good start.

Manafort is the guy that I think may hold the key to turning on the spigot, and I do see him with a good chance of indictment. I'm thinking chances are substantial more than 50-50. If he sings, he can bring the whole mess down. Let's hope. We shall see.

I am thinking that they are here to say "What are you fools doing, there is real work you should be doing, nothing happened here and whats more you never had any reason to think otherwise" but who knows.....I have been wrong.

I'm not sure how much fear the Trump Administration is feeling, if they're not guilty, but Nunes is definitely a collaborator. Often it's the covering up that gets politicians in trouble, more than any actual crime.

I am thinking that they are here to say "What are you fools doing, there is real work you should be doing, nothing happened here and whats more you never had any reason to think otherwise" but who knows.....I have been wrong.
Also possible, but the White House - for whatever reason - is giving-off consistent appearances of being in cover-up mode. I have little doubt Flynn is guilty of various violations, so could that be it? Perhaps. Or perhaps even more. But there's an awful lot of smoke coming out of the place, and perhaps the cover-ups may become more damaging than whatever they're hiding. But something's surely up, IMO

I'm not sure how much fear the Trump Administration is feeling, if they're not guilty, but Nunes is definitely a collaborator. Often it's the covering up that gets politicians in trouble, more than any actual crime.
Unequivocally!

And he can get away with the unthinkable because of GOP control of our government.

Unequivocally!

And he can get away with the unthinkable because of GOP control of our government.

It'll cost him politically though. He looks like a weasel, even to his own constituents.

What was true for benghazigate and emailgate doesn't apply to actual scandals like watergate.

Don't assume that the left is as dishonest as the right.

It'll cost him politically though. He looks like a weasel, even to his own constituents.

Not very much. He's only lost a few % in approval ratings.

I think you overestimate how much people hear about this stuff. Most of his supporters are chasing the balls he's blindly throwing down the hallway, they've been immunized against the media and, by extension, reality.

Not very much. He's only lost a few % in approval ratings.

I think you overestimate how much people hear about this stuff. Most of his supporters are chasing the balls he's blindly throwing down the hallway, they've been immunized against the media and, by extension, reality.

I agree people are becoming lost to the truth of anything by disinformation and lack of touch with reality.

I have never seen an Admin the "cover up" mode. Is this the way Nixon did it too?
Similar in some ways, but not in others.

Just like today, the media led the way following a string of whistle-blowers and those referencing others (ex: WaPo --> Deep Throat). It also took an extremely long time to develop, and as it did it grew in momentum as various small pieces and corroboration came together.

But unlike now, there was a Democratic Congress carrying-out a legit investigation along with earnest Republicans (ex: Howard Baker) on the investigative committee. Reference in contrast, today's Republicans and Devine Nunes!

Also, when the Nixon cover-up became feverish he started pressuring the DOJ to release the independent prosecutor (Saturday Night Massacre)! Obviously Trump hasn't gotten that far, even though his seemingly unrelated firing of Sally Yates had some in the media calling it the "Monday Night Massacre"! (Yate's firing would seem to indicate Trump's Nixonian modus operandi, however)

For your reference, please contrast and compare the following videos:

(Shep Smith's piece is chilling - we badly need a special prosecutor a'la the Nixon era Archibald Cox)

Additional reference: Wikipedia: Saturday Night Massacre

I suspect there's always going to be some swatch of the country, maybe 30 odd percent, that so want to rip the government and country apart, that they will always support him even if he was marched out of the White House in handcuffs and leg irons. Trump is a very dangerous man.

Back
Top Bottom