• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL Teams Rangers, Blackhawks, Wild Refuse To Wear Gay Pride Jerseys

Should NHL plyrs who refuse to wear Pride jerseys be fined/disciplined?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 84.6%

• Total voters
Another fictional, made-up scenario.
You say that like NHL quality players have no other options. You pull that shit, alienating players like that, and you'll end up putting a team on-ice made up of the weakest players in the league. You'll get high draft picks every year and lose your draft picks the next year.
My team you wear what I say within the rules

Let them strike. In hockey the minor leagues would take all their jobs

I.love minor league hockey

My team you wear what I say within the rules

Let them strike. In hockey the minor leagues would take all their jobs

I.love minor league hockey
Like I say, get used to having the worst players in the league.

Minor hockey ends at age 17, right? Midgit? You must mean those leagues for scrubs that couldn't get drafted to the NHL from the CHL (Canadian major junior leagues) or American university system.

Like I say, get used to having the worst players in the league.

Minor hockey ends at age 17, right? Bantam? You must mean those leagues for scrubs that couldn't get drafted to the NHL from the CHL (Canadian major junior leagues) or American university system.
Minor leagues end at 17????

Dude come on

Football already did this......and won

The NHL Chicago Blackhawks announced yesterday that they’re scrapping plans for players to wear rainbow spangled on Sunday's Pride Night.

Other NHL teams have refused to wear Gay Pride jerseys as well; The NY Rangers and Minnesota Wild have also refused to wear Pride jerseys.

Should NHL players who refuse to wear Gay Pride jerseys be fined or disciplined by the league?

Some argue that while the hockey players are on the ice, they should wear whatever jerseys the franchise owners tell them to. Others argue it is a freedom of speech/freedom of religion issue, and players have a right to refuse to wear the Pride jerseys.
I do believe that employers make and control the 'uniform policy' during working hours. And employees get to decide what they wear when they are not at work. But if I owned a franchise, I wouldn't have anything to do with in any retribution should a player object to a 'gay pride' jersey. You are just increasing division resentment and tension, and it defeats the purpose.

I don't want anyone putting on a 'gay pride' adornment or attending a gay pride event, if they don't feel the message behind the sentiment. That's Just plain stupid. They may just come around to being an ally one day, but shove this thing down their throat, you have lost them forever. Why make an enemy out of someone for what amounts to a power play?

Last edited:
Minor leagues end at 17????

Dude come on

Football already did this......and won
I don't know how it is in the US but minor hockey in Canada is kids leagues. Everyone who wants to can play. Maybe it's different in the US.
The Junior hockey leagues, the Q, the O and the Dub, hold a draft and chose the best minor players. In the US players that age and calibre go to the university system.

The Q, the O and the Dub are the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League, and the Dub is the WHL, the Western Hockey League.

I don't know how it is in the US but minor hockey on Canada is kids leagues. Everyone who wants to can play. Maybe it's different in the US.
The Junior hockey leagues, the Q, the O and the Dub, hold a draft and chose the best minor players. In the US players that age and calibre go to the university system.

The Q, the O and the Dub are the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League, and the Dub is the WHL, the Western Hockey League.
We have professional teams below the NHL Like the echl.

This is an easy fix.

We have professional teams below the NHL Like the echl.

This is an easy fix.
Gotcha. Farm teams. We have those too. Some guys make their whole careers on the farm.

The NHL Chicago Blackhawks announced yesterday that they’re scrapping plans for players to wear rainbow spangled on Sunday's Pride Night.

Other NHL teams have refused to wear Gay Pride jerseys as well; The NY Rangers and Minnesota Wild have also refused to wear Pride jerseys.

Should NHL players who refuse to wear Gay Pride jerseys be fined or disciplined by the league?

Some argue that while the hockey players are on the ice, they should wear whatever jerseys the franchise owners tell them to. Others argue it is a freedom of speech/freedom of religion issue, and players have a right to refuse to wear the Pride jerseys.
As a general observation, I would far prefer those kinds of efforts be voluntary. I don't really see the point of forcing someone to wear something that advances a cause they oppose. Let them not wear 'pride' gear and then they can explain why their 'religion' or whatever means they can't support whatever they think the pride flag/colors represents. To me it's about treating gay people with respect, and affording them the same rights as the rest of us. I don't see the conflict between that and religion, but if someone does they can take questions from the local media and answer what part of the 'agenda' they oppose.

I guess I don't know how much good is done by forced compliance - you WILL express your support, or ELSE!! The players are providing no services, denying no one their rights or prerogatives, and therefore their refusal is just optics. I imagine a "Church" promotion and then asking players to wear a cross or whatever in support of 'Christians.' Surely we can agree no one should be forced to do that, such as a Jew or atheist.

Gotcha. Farm teams. We have those too. Some guys make their whole careers on the farm.
It's great hockey. $20 tickets and any seat you want

We wanted to see the Nashville predators recently. $700 for three crappy seats

Hockey thread smells eerily like fish, specifically ------ BAIT.

If it is before the game...respect their rights

During the game suit up in a chicken outfit if the owner tells you
I strongly suspect you NEVER played a team sport. You would realize, that imposing your will on ALL players despite their personal feelings, is bound to lead to disunity in the locker room and a losing team. AND to answer what will likely be the expected retort - yes I have.

I strongly suspect you NEVER played a team sport. You would realize, that imposing your will on ALL players despite their personal feelings, is bound to lead to disunity in the locker room and a losing team. AND to answer what will likely be the expected retort - yes I have.
Settle down benchwarmer. I could care less. Play the game or the minors will take your place

During the game you work for the owners

Settle down benchwarmer. I could care less. Play the game or the minors will take your place

During the game you work for the owners
As I suspected............

From what I am reading the league has no intention of disciplining anyone for refusing to participate. The fear of reprisal for Russian players and/or their families as one reason for doing so is a sad testement to that oppressive regime's reach.

Don't know how many remember this incident:

On 22 February 2021, Panarin announced he would take a personal leave of absence after the Russian tabloid newspaper Komsomolskaya Pravda published allegations that he physically assaulted an 18-year-old woman in 2011, and bribed law enforcement to drop the charges.[43] Panarin and the Rangers denied the story's veracity, stating: "This is clearly an intimidation tactic being used against [Panarin] for being outspoken on recent political events." The allegations were made by his former KHL coach Andrei Nazarov, who coached him during his time with Vityaz Chekhov.[44] The story was released after Panarin voiced his support for Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, openly criticizing Putin.[43] Nazarov said that he was motivated to make the allegations after Panarin voiced his support for anti-government protests in Russia.[45] Nazarov claimed that Panarin's then teammate, Mikhail Anisin, was there at the incident. While Anisin confirmed there was an encounter with young women, he denied that there was any violence, and called the allegations "disgusting".[46]

The owners want to display gay pride jerseys, they can wear them. It's just stupid. Telling people who may not agree with that lifestyle choice to have to wear a jersey indicating they do support it. I wouldn't wear the thing either. What would the left do if their boss told them they had to wear a MAGA T-shirt?

The owners want to display gay pride jerseys, they can wear them. It's just stupid. Telling people who may not agree with that lifestyle choice to have to wear a jersey indicating they do support it. I wouldn't wear the thing either. What would the left do if their boss told them they had to wear a MAGA T-shirt?
Then sit on the bench

They wear the maga jersey if allowed by the rules

They would be obliged to wear the MAGA t-shirt if you follow the arguments of some on this thread who have claimed - what the boss says has to be followed. AND RIGHTIES would likely chime in and tell "the left" that is just the way it is, wear the MAGA t-shirt or be benched.

They would be obliged to wear the MAGA t-shirt if you follow the arguments of some on this thread who have claimed - what the boss says has to be followed. AND RIGHTIES would likely chime in and tell "the left" that is just the way it is, wear the MAGA t-shirt or be benched.
That's right

That didn't happen.

I do believe that employers make and control the 'uniform policy' during working hours. And employees get to decide what they wear when they are not at work. But if I owned a franchise, I wouldn't have anything to do with in any retribution should a player object to a 'gay pride' jersey. You are just increasing division resentment and tension, and it defeats the purpose. . .

. . . I guess I don't know how much good is done by forced compliance - you WILL express your support, or ELSE!! The players are providing no services, denying no one their rights or prerogatives, and therefore their refusal is just optics. I imagine a "Church" promotion and then asking players to wear a cross or whatever in support of 'Christians.' Surely we can agree no one should be forced to do that, such as a Jew or atheist.

Well stated - all . . .

I do believe that employers make and control the 'uniform policy' during working hours. And employees get to decide what they wear when they are not at work. But if I owned a franchise, I wouldn't have anything to do with in any retribution should a player object to a 'gay pride' jersey. You are just increasing division resentment and tension, and it defeats the purpose.

I don't want anyone putting on a 'gay pride' adornment or attending a gay pride event, if they don't feel the message behind the sentiment. That's Just plain stupid. They may just come around to being an ally one day, but shove this thing down their throat, you have lost them forever. Why make an enemy out of someone for what amounts to a power play?
Read the story.

As a general observation, I would far prefer those kinds of efforts be voluntary. I don't really see the point of forcing someone to wear something that advances a cause they oppose. Let them not wear 'pride' gear and then they can explain why their 'religion' or whatever means they can't support whatever they think the pride flag/colors represents. To me it's about treating gay people with respect, and affording them the same rights as the rest of us. I don't see the conflict between that and religion, but if someone does they can take questions from the local media and answer what part of the 'agenda' they oppose.

I guess I don't know how much good is done by forced compliance - you WILL express your support, or ELSE!! The players are providing no services, denying no one their rights or prerogatives, and therefore their refusal is just optics. I imagine a "Church" promotion and then asking players to wear a cross or whatever in support of 'Christians.' Surely we can agree no one should be forced to do that, such as a Jew or atheist.
Read the story.

Back
Top Bottom