• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL - 2016/2017 Season [W:290]

Crosby is an ass.

If somebody did that to him, the NHL would crucify the offending player.

Yea I kind of felt bad when he got smoked by Washington. Not so much anymore. Hard to root for an asshole like that. Pretty classless. I'm sure they will be hunting him in game 6.

Yea I kind of felt bad when he got smoked by Washington. Not so much anymore. Hard to root for an asshole like that. Pretty classless. I'm sure they will be hunting him in game 6.

Yeah, it's not like Subban hasn't been taking every cheap shot he could against Crosby the entire series so far. Subban deserved every bit of that. Every team head hunts Crosby.

Yeah, it's not like Subban hasn't been taking every cheap shot he could against Crosby the entire series so far. Subban deserved every bit of that. Every team head hunts Crosby.

It was still classless. Didn't Crosby cut off a guys finger? I have a guy at work who roots for Pittsburgh. Even he says its hard to root for Crosby.

It was still classless. Didn't Crosby cut off a guys finger? I have a guy at work who roots for Pittsburgh. Even he says its hard to root for Crosby.

Crosby is a bit of a jerk, but he's also the best player in hockey right now. Subban is a good player, but he also thinks he's some kind of thug on the ice, and he's tried mightily to do that bit to Crosby. It's a physical game, but there are rules, and Subban has gone beyond them plenty of times so far. He earned that little bit of head smacking and the Ref agreed, I think. It was, after all, happening right in front of him. He could've stopped it at any time.

Crosby is a bit of a jerk, but he's also the best player in hockey right now. Subban is a good player, but he also thinks he's some kind of thug on the ice, and he's tried mightily to do that bit to Crosby. It's a physical game, but there are rules, and Subban has gone beyond them plenty of times so far. He earned that little bit of head smacking and the Ref agreed, I think. It was, after all, happening right in front of him. He could've stopped it at any time.

I don't understand it either, it was right in front of the ref and they got holding penalties. I haven't been watching that much so I will take your word for it on Subban. Crosby is still an ass.

I don't understand it either, it was right in front of the ref and they got holding penalties. I haven't been watching that much so I will take your word for it on Subban. Crosby is still an ass.

No argument, but I still maintain that Subban had it coming and is the bigger ass. Pittsburgh isn't known as a physical team, but that doesn't mean they can't be. If the other team pushes hard enough with the physical play, they'll see the Pens playing like they are tonight after they've had enough of it. Nashville has been pushing it, so this response is welcome from my viewpoint.

After watching all those cross checks in the back of Pens players by Nashville, I don't think I'm wrong in post 533 or the previous posts addressing the issue.

No argument, but I still maintain that Subban had it coming and is the bigger ass. Pittsburgh isn't known as a physical team, but that doesn't mean they can't be. If the other team pushes hard enough with the physical play, they'll see the Pens playing like they are tonight after they've had enough of it. Nashville has been pushing it, so this response is welcome from my viewpoint.

As an objective observer, I've seen Subban play and he's not dirty at all.

I've also seen enough of Crosby to know that Crosby can get away with a lot because of his 'stature'.

Here's the report (and video) from USA Today for chrissake, who actually calls Crosby 'dirty'.

Sidney Crosby repeatedly punched P.K. Subban’s face into the ice in Game 5 | For The Win

Last edited:
As an objective observer, I've seen Subban play and he's not dirty at all.

I've also seen enough of Crosby to know that Crosby can get away with a lot because of his 'stature'.

Here's the report (and video) from USA Today for chrissake, who actually calls Crosby 'dirty'.

Sidney Crosby repeatedly punched P.K. Subban’s face into the ice in Game 5 | For The Win

Crosby isn't loved by the sports media. If you were watching a few minutes ago, an objective observer would have reached the opposite conclusion. Subban was in the penalty box along with two others from Nashville. The Refs are supposed to be objective, and apparently they saw the same thing I'm seeing.

Last edited:
Crosby isn't loved by the sports media. If you were watching a few minutes ago, and objective observer would have reached the opposite conclusion. Subban was in the penalty box along with two others from Nashville. The Refs are supposed to be objective, and apparently they saw the same thing I'm seeing.

I posted video.

You posted anecdote.

I posted video.

You posted anecdote.

Nah 3G. I'm watching the game, and Nashville ended it with a 5 minute major. They'll start game 6 with it. Don't tell me what I'm watching isn't what I'm watching.

Don't listen. Subban gets a bad rap for less than savory reasons, and not that Subban has done anything less than savory in his career.

Furthermore, for the 2016 - 17 season, Subban ranks 150th in the league in penalties, with 2 majors and 17 minors. Crosby ranks 379th, with no majors and 12 minors. So based on the opinions of the referees, Subban is the dirtier player. I rest my case.

Furthermore, for the 2016 - 17 season, Subban ranks 150th in the league in penalties, with 2 majors and 17 minors. Crosby ranks 379th, with no majors and 12 minors. So based on the opinions of the referees, Subban is the dirtier player. I rest my case.

Dude, really? You are going to argue that the reason Crosby gets the benefit of calls from the referee is because he gets called for fewer penalties? Talk about a circular argument...

No, really, Crosby gets away with alot, and today was another example. Crosby spearing guys in the nuts, slashing their fingers almost clean off, and not getting called as has happened just this year, that would be more evidence.

The game was a mess today for Nashville. Pitt clearly made some adjustments to start, and Nashville looked totally confused by the changes. No one knew who to cover, or even what position to be in. By the time they got it sorted out, they where down 3-0 and kinda gave up.

I often don't enjoy games with such lopsided scores.

But I thought the play in general was well done, some interesting pass plays, etc.

It looked to me like the Penguins had a complicated offensive zone pass play they executed more than once. I suppose it might have been coincidence. But it looked to me like they might have practiced it.

The goalies also told a story. Pulling the Predator's starting goalie probably didn't matter. But I'd have done it sooner.

And the Penguin's goalie had a fabulous night! A shut-out against one of the best teams in the league. TBD whether they're the best, or the second best. We'll know by Thursday.

Dude, really? You are going to argue that the reason Crosby gets the benefit of calls from the referee is because he gets called for fewer penalties? Talk about a circular argument...

No, I'm assuming the refs are generally objective, but realize they don't see everything. Have you ever noticed that the coaches talk to the refs? Crosby and Subban have been going at it throughout the series and I think the ref let 'em get some of it out of their systems, and gave 'em both a minor.

No, really, Crosby gets away with alot, and today was another example. Crosby spearing guys in the nuts, slashing their fingers almost clean off, and not getting called as has happened just this year, that would be more evidence.

Oh, none of that every happens to Crosby or any other player on the ice. Give me a break. It's hockey. Every premier player on every team is a target. Crosby is just a bigger one because of his play. Yeah, he's a jerk. It's a hockey contest, and not a run for high school class president.

" Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post

"No, I'm assuming the refs are generally objective, but realize they don't see everything. Have you ever noticed that the coaches talk to the refs? Crosby and Subban have been going at it throughout the series and I think the ref let 'em get some of it out of their systems, and gave 'em both a minor." h @ #546
That seems self-serving to me.

Fewer penalties could also be explained by a cleaner style of play, actually perpetrating fewer penalties.

And yes. It wouldn't surprise me if reputation carries some weight in deciding "benefit of doubt" calls. The guy with the worst penalty record in the league might well be more likely to have a marginal infraction called against him than the same infraction committed by a choir boy.
"No, really, Crosby gets away with alot, and today was another example. Crosby spearing guys in the nuts, slashing their fingers almost clean off, and not getting called as has happened just this year, that would be more evidence." #546
That's either true, or not.
I'll take your word for it, accept it as fact, for now.

BUT !!

If it's true, it's true for a reason. If it's true for a reason, WHAT IS THE REASON?
It's YOUR thesis. So YOU tell US why it is, if the explanation currently on the table is rejected.
"Oh, none of that every happens to Crosby or any other player on the ice. Give me a break. It's hockey. Every premier player on every team is a target. Crosby is just a bigger one because of his play. Yeah, he's a jerk. It's a hockey contest, and not a run for high school class president." #546
It's difficult for me to cut through your bias to know for sure. But without me claiming a single supernatural power, I deduce you're not a Penguins fan.

Love him or hate him, Crosby is a skilled hockey player.

That seems self-serving to me.

Fewer penalties could also be explained by a cleaner style of play, actually perpetrating fewer penalties.

And yes. It wouldn't surprise me if reputation carries some weight in deciding "benefit of doubt" calls. The guy with the worst penalty record in the league might well be more likely to have a marginal infraction called against him than the same infraction committed by a choir boy.

That's either true, or not.
I'll take your word for it, accept it as fact, for now.

BUT !!

If it's true, it's true for a reason. If it's true for a reason, WHAT IS THE REASON?
It's YOUR thesis. So YOU tell US why it is, if the explanation currently on the table is rejected.

It's difficult for me to cut through your bias to know for sure. But without me claiming a single supernatural power, I deduce you're not a Penguins fan.

Love him or hate him, Crosby is a skilled hockey player.

First video from March 21, second from March 23:

I think that should dispense with the "cleaner style of play".

Also, note the "Reply with Quote" button at the bottom right of each post. If you use that, you get nice quote boxes, with a link to quoted post, and the person you quoted gets a notification so they can come see what you said about them :mrgreen:

R #548

Excellent.

You may think you can buffalo me w/ anecdotes. You can't.

The 3 questions are:

a) Where does Crosby land on the spectrum.

b) What was done to him before such incidents? *

c) Do NHL striped-shirt officials accord Crosby special consideration? Make calls for or against him by criteria different from that applied to other players?
If the answer to this last question is no, then what's your point? If the answer is yes, then for what reason? Why would they risk their careers for a scumbag?

* I've seen some serious $#@! that out of context might seem like sociopathy. But in context of what was done to them to provoke the retaliation, it's different.

I saw what Crosby did to Subban last night, grinding Subban's head into the ice, out of sight of officials.
Why Crosby did it, whether there was provocation I don't know.
But why must players either be seen being assaulted, or bleed, to gain official NHL attention? Why can't a player simply report the assault to the striped-shirts, and let the video tell the story?

Great hockey game so far. 0-0 halfway through two.

Back
Top Bottom