• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nfl 2019

I think he was obviously completely in the wrong but I do think the coverage of this is over the top. Its a sport where legit criminals, wife beaters, murderers, cheats etc play or have played and yet we all act "horrified" and "stunned" when something like this happens in the heat of the moment lol. I have seen men in Ice hockey beat people to a pulp and this incident has people doing somersaults in disbelief. Angry black men historically get that reaction from mainstream America though.

SubCKwn.jpg

The fact that the QB who tried to pull off a players helmet wasnt even suspended shows the full pussifaction of the NFL.

They might as well wear flags.

A league where a QB (of no importance to the league) can start a major fight get 3 pro bowl linemen suspended is a child's league.

I think he was obviously completely in the wrong but I do think the coverage of this is over the top. Its a sport where legit criminals, wife beaters, murderers, cheats etc play or have played and yet we all act "horrified" and "stunned" when something like this happens in the heat of the moment lol. I have seen men in Ice hockey beat people to a pulp and this incident has people doing somersaults in disbelief. Angry black men historically get that reaction from mainstream America though.

Fighting in hockey is an every game occurrence, and nobody really gives a crap about hockey.

This was a nationally televised NFL game(the most popular game in the US, by a mile) which included 1 of the more popular 'national' teams, and for all of football's violence I don't remember anyone hitting another player over the head with a 6 lbs helmet.

This was pretty newsworthy.

Fighting in hockey is an every game occurrence, and nobody really gives a crap about hockey.

This was a nationally televised NFL game(the most popular game in the US, by a mile) which included 1 of the more popular 'national' teams, and for all of football's violence I don't remember anyone hitting another player over the head with a 6 lbs helmet.

Thursday night football is national televised in the same way a makeup tutorial youtube video is "national televised", everyone has the ability to watch it just no one wants to

Thursday night football is national televised in the same way a makeup tutorial youtube video is "national televised", everyone has the ability to watch it just no one wants to

Somebody does watch it though... It's #1 on Thursday night ratings and double the number or viewers as 2nd place show. Triples the 19 to 49 age group. And as far as I know that's not even including the Amazon and Yahoo streaming of the game.

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ holds, ‘Young Sheldon’ improves – TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com

Somebody does watch it though... It's #1 on Thursday night ratings and double the number or viewers as 2nd place show. Triples the 19 to 49 age group. And as far as I know that's not even including the Amazon and Yahoo streaming of the game.

TV Ratings Thursday: ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ holds, ‘Young Sheldon’ improves – TV By The Numbers by zap2it.com

11 million? thats about the number that would watch 2 and a half men the season with ashton kutcher, sunday night football draws double that and the sunday games often triple it

11 million? thats about the number that would watch 2 and a half men the season with ashton kutcher, sunday night football draws double that and the sunday games often triple it

??? It's still #1 by a mile on Thursdays.. And it's still a nationally televised game.. I don't understand your point.

??? It's still #1 by a mile on Thursdays.. And it's still a nationally televised game.. I don't understand your point.

That people don’t care about Thursday night football. Yes it’s first on old TV but that’s like being first in the special olympics these days. Thursday night has half to a third viewership of a regular NFL game and the worst games are chosen on purpose to be put on Thursday nights.

That people don’t care about Thursday night football. Yes it’s first on old TV but that’s like being first in the special olympics these days. Thursday night has half to a third viewership of a regular NFL game and the worst games are chosen on purpose to be put on Thursday nights.

lol... Ok.. whatever. I don't think anyone ever said, or thought Thursday's games would be as popular as Sunday's games, which been on TV for DECADES.

Have a nice night

lol... Ok.. whatever. I don't think anyone ever said, or thought Thursday's games would be as popular as Sunday's games, which been on TV for DECADES.

Have a nice night

Thursday night football was almost dead and would have been cut in 2016 except they forced more teams into it and they got it streaming.

Thursday night football has been irrelevant since it began and is a continual pain to both players and fans

I’ve heard people calling this the worst thing they have seen in sports. It’s excessive for me.

I’ve heard people calling this the worst thing they have seen in sports. It’s excessive for me.

I only saw it on the news and I have to say, that's pretty damned shameful. American sports are supposed to be civil, that's what makes us proud of our teams. There's nothing to be proud of after seeing that.

Lets play the "what if" game. What if the helmet is cocked an inch to the left. What if the linemans arm doesnt knock Rudolphs head back 2 inches. What if the helmet lands full swing square and hits Rudolphs head? Garrett is extraordinarily lucky he didnt wake up today in a jail cell.

I think there are a lot of "there but for the grace of God..." things happening right there and its a minor miracle Rudolph wasnt hit full on and busted open. You can blame this on whatever you want...a rivalry, Rudolph grabbing Garretts helmet, you can maybe get away with justifying pulling his helmet off. I dont care if Rudolph sad nasty things about Garretts momma. You cant excuse the full on swinging at a mans head with a helmet. Even the pros all see that the same way. Some lines are just never crossed. Thats akin to a batter charging the mound with a bat and attacking the pitcher.

I'm a Steelers fan, and the 1st thing this morning I said Garrett should get 10-12 games, no permanent ban, no assault charges. But if he does anything close to this again, he's gone from football forever

He lost control. He shouldn't have but it happened and he needed to be severely punish. And he is.

But to say this shouldn't be a story, is crazy. Of course it was going to be big news. It's the most popular game in the country. A bitter rivalry. On prime time TV. Involving 1 of the most popular team in football. Add in social media and 24/7 sports talk and it was going to be big. The fact that the NFL handed out penalties within hours after the game proves that.

I'm a Steelers fan, and the 1st thing this morning I said Garrett should get 10-12 games, no permanent ban, no assault charges. But if he does anything close to this again, he's gone from football forever

He lost control. He shouldn't have but it happened and he needed to be severely punish. And he is.

But to say this shouldn't be a story, is crazy. Of course it was going to be big news. It's the most popular game in the country. A bitter rivalry. On prime time TV. Involving 1 of the most popular team in football. Add in social media and 24/7 sports talk and it was going to be big. The fact that the NFL handed out penalties within hours after the game proves that.

Fair points

Lets play the "what if" game. What if the helmet is cocked an inch to the left. What if the linemans arm doesnt knock Rudolphs head back 2 inches. What if the helmet lands full swing square and hits Rudolphs head? Garrett is extraordinarily lucky he didnt wake up today in a jail cell.

I think there are a lot of "there but for the grace of God..." things happening right there and its a minor miracle Rudolph wasnt hit full on and busted open. You can blame this on whatever you want...a rivalry, Rudolph grabbing Garretts helmet, you can maybe get away with justifying pulling his helmet off. I dont care if Rudolph sad nasty things about Garretts momma. You cant excuse the full on swinging at a mans head with a helmet. Even the pros all see that the same way. Some lines are just never crossed. Thats akin to a batter charging the mound with a bat and attacking the pitcher.

Based on the limited information I have read and seen Rudolph contributed to this melee in two ways:
1. it is alleged he attempted to remove the helmet of the offending defensive player; and
2. the QB continued to pursue the defender while helmetless, accompanied by two other teammates. Garrett had to fend off three players simultaneously at the moment he used Rudolph’s helmet as a weapon
Why is the league ignoring Rudolph’s participation and instigation in this affair?

Based on the limited information I have read and seen Rudolph contributed to this melee in two ways:
1. it is alleged he attempted to remove the helmet of the offending defensive player; and
2. the QB continued to pursue the defender while helmetless, accompanied by two other teammates. Garrett had to fend off three players simultaneously at the moment he used Rudolph’s helmet as a weapon
Why is the league ignoring Rudolph’s participation and instigation in this affair?
Assume everything you said is correct. Then throw it all out the window.

Nothing justifies swinging at a mans head with a helmet. Cant imagin the type of person that would still be trying to minimize it, wouldnt see it as the heinous act that it was, or would try to introduce some sort of qualifier as justification.

Assume everything you said is correct. Then throw it all out the window.

Nothing justifies swinging at a mans head with a helmet. Cant imagin the type of person that would still be trying to minimize it, wouldnt see it as the heinous act that it was, or would try to introduce some sort of qualifier as justification.

if that man - the one who just attempted to remove my own helmet - continued to pursue me - helmetless - accompanied by two teammates, i am going to defend myself, even tho it might require me to use the helmet in doing so
look at 21 seconds in on this video of rudolph trying to pull off garrett's helmet:
[video]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/belichick-mocks-social-media-in-comments-on-garrett-incident/ar-BBWPkrA[/video]

if that man - the one who just attempted to remove my own helmet - continued to pursue me - helmetless - accompanied by two teammates, i am going to defend myself, even tho it might require me to use the helmet in doing so
look at 21 seconds in on this video of rudolph trying to pull off garrett's helmet:
[video]https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/belichick-mocks-social-media-in-comments-on-garrett-incident/ar-BBWPkrA[/video]
The moment you swing a helmet at a mans head (or endorse it) everything you ever say on this site is forever polluted by the stupid.

I don't think the coverage was over the top and that's a good thing for the NFL. If this incident was passed off as nothing to be worried about or something to be cheered as Bucky seems to think, then it would be far worse for the NFL. It's been a hot issue today because it happened last night and the NFL, with lightning speed for them, dealt with it immediately and with the seriousness it deserved. The NFL did a good job here.

As for hockey, fighting had traditionally been a big part of the sport because it was seen as a way for players to let off steam and seek retribution without using equipment, like sticks, to cause damage. I've been watching hockey for about 60 years and never have I seen anything like Garrett's actions. In fact, as was usual, players removed their helmets and threw them aside when they got into a fighting situation. But I say "was usual" because you rarely see fighting in hockey today - the game has advanced past that part of its history because a newer generation of fans and players didn't enjoy it and/or consider it necessary or advantageous to the sport as a whole.

Both football and hockey can, by design, be sports prone to violence. It is up to their leagues to ensure that violence is limited to game action and not after whistle escalations. Both sports do a pretty good job of disciplining the deviants.

The moment you swing a helmet at a mans head (or endorse it) everything you ever say on this site is forever polluted by the stupid.

if i have two linemen chasing after me intending to do harm, plus a helmetless quarterback, hell yea i am going to fight back
but why was the QB left out of the punishment, since it was he who initiated the brawl by attempting to remove the defender's helmet

Based on what I saw and have subsequently heard:

1. Rudolph was pile driven into the turf by Garrett after the play and Garrett stayed on Rudolph longer than is normal for a legitimate sack, which this wasn't, particularly considering the timing and circumstances in the game. As a result, Rudolph in trying to get Garrett off of him clawed at his helmet, presumably to get his attention.
2. While Garrett was on Rudolph, two Steeler players came over and started to remove Garrett from on top of Rudolph and Garrett then, not just giving up and ending the situation, pulled Rudolph's helmet off and Rudolph reacted verbally and as the Steeler players removed Garrett from Rudolph, Rudolph continued to verbally challenge Garrett for his actions. Garrett, for reasons only he can know, chose to swing Rudolph's helmet over the shoulder of one of the Steelers moving him away and into the head of Rudolph.
3. The league is not "ignoring" Rudolph's participation in this affair - he is subject to a fine but no suspension as reported by those close to the league. The league, however, disagrees with your interpretation that Rudolph instigated the affair and although I'm biased as a Steelers' fan, any fair minded individual could not look at that entirety of the situation and claim that Rudolph is to blame.

if i have two linemen chasing after me intending to do harm, plus a helmetless quarterback, hell yea i am going to fight back
but why was the QB left out of the punishment, since it was he who initiated the brawl by attempting to remove the defender's helmet

What the hell did you watch? "Two linemen chasing me intending to do me harm"? Never happened, my friend. The two linemen you refer to picked Garrett off Rudolph and were moving him away from the situation, as players often do, to deescalate the situation. Had Garrett not removed Rudolph's helmet, it's questionable that Rudolph would or wouldn't have pursued Garrett verbally but maybe he would have but a shouting match is slightly less dangerous than an assault with a weapon. As for the two linemen, they only "intended Garrett harm" after Garrett swung the helmet and connected with Rudolph's head - the instigator of any "harm" to Garrett was Garrett.

Do you mean like the people in this thread that want to kick him out of the league forever?

Ya, talk about being prisoner of the moment.

Back
Top Bottom