• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Nfl 2019

Eli the Brady killer?

Winning Superbowls, when you are expected to lose, pays. Ask that Foles dude.

That happened over 8 years ago. I can understand why Eli doesn't update his resume.

Gotta love the pundits and other NFL "experts" who have already buried the Steelers for next year.

To recap:

1. The Steelers played all of last year without Bell and he was at best a non-entity and at worst a minor irritation to the team for the first few weeks until he missed the cut-off for reporting to the team and had to sit out the entire year. Bell gave up $14 million plus and signed a worse deal with the Jets (the Jets!!!!!) and the guy will be a nothing burger in no-time as the Jets will be unable to take advantage of his talents and Bell won't have the offensive line and schemes the Steelers used to make him a star. Advantage Steelers

2. Brown, while extremely talented, benefitted greatly from having Big Ben as his QB. However, his ego got too big for his talent and as the last two years progressed JuJu became Big Ben's and the offensive coordinator's number one target. Brown's disruptive attitude was more harmful than his contributions on the field. He's happy to go to the Raiders and the Steelers are happy to see him go. Advantage Steelers.

3. Last year, while not successful by Steelers' standards, was not the disaster many would like to claim it to be. They lost 6 games by a total of 25 points. Their last four loses were by 3 points each, and they lost by 5 to the Chargers and 8 to the Ravens in the other two loses. Their placekicker had a horrendous year, by anyone's standards, but particularly so by his own standards and past history. Not going to happen two years in a row. And their defense is still young and improving and they still have a dynamic offense with a very capable QB who is coming off a career year.

Have to laugh at those who are claiming the Browns are going to win the division and the Steelers are done. Will put my money on the Steelers having a big year next year.

Gotta love the pundits and other NFL "experts" who have already buried the Steelers for next year.

To recap:

1. The Steelers played all of last year without Bell and he was at best a non-entity and at worst a minor irritation to the team for the first few weeks until he missed the cut-off for reporting to the team and had to sit out the entire year. Bell gave up $14 million plus and signed a worse deal with the Jets (the Jets!!!!!) and the guy will be a nothing burger in no-time as the Jets will be unable to take advantage of his talents and Bell won't have the offensive line and schemes the Steelers used to make him a star. Advantage Steelers

2. Brown, while extremely talented, benefitted greatly from having Big Ben as his QB. However, his ego got too big for his talent and as the last two years progressed JuJu became Big Ben's and the offensive coordinator's number one target. Brown's disruptive attitude was more harmful than his contributions on the field. He's happy to go to the Raiders and the Steelers are happy to see him go. Advantage Steelers.

3. Last year, while not successful by Steelers' standards, was not the disaster many would like to claim it to be. They lost 6 games by a total of 25 points. Their last four loses were by 3 points each, and they lost by 5 to the Chargers and 8 to the Ravens in the other two loses. Their placekicker had a horrendous year, by anyone's standards, but particularly so by his own standards and past history. Not going to happen two years in a row. And their defense is still young and improving and they still have a dynamic offense with a very capable QB who is coming off a career year.

Have to laugh at those who are claiming the Browns are going to win the division and the Steelers are done. Will put my money on the Steelers having a big year next year.

The Steelers were a non-playoff team last year. Forget about the Patriots, The Steelers will be looking up to the Browns now.

This should be fun...

Raiders sign controversial linebacker Vontaze Burfict despite ugly history with Antonio Brown..

Despite his declining quality of play and controversial style of play that has led to countless suspension and fines, it took linebacker Vontaze Burfict only one day to find a new home after getting cut by the Bengals on Monday.

As first reported by NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport, the Raiders are signing Burfict to a one-year contract in a move that reunites Burfict with Paul Guenther, the Raiders' defensive coordinator who worked closely with Burfict in Cincinnati as the Bengals' linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. Rapoport reported that Burfict's deal can reach $5 million with incentives.

The Raiders have since confirmed the signing.

Raiders sign controversial linebacker Vontaze Burfict despite ugly history with Antonio Brown - CBSSports.com

This should be fun...

Raiders sign controversial linebacker Vontaze Burfict despite ugly history with Antonio Brown..

Despite his declining quality of play and controversial style of play that has led to countless suspension and fines, it took linebacker Vontaze Burfict only one day to find a new home after getting cut by the Bengals on Monday.

As first reported by NFL Network's Tom Pelissero and Ian Rapoport, the Raiders are signing Burfict to a one-year contract in a move that reunites Burfict with Paul Guenther, the Raiders' defensive coordinator who worked closely with Burfict in Cincinnati as the Bengals' linebackers coach and defensive coordinator. Rapoport reported that Burfict's deal can reach $5 million with incentives.

Raiders sign controversial linebacker Vontaze Burfict despite ugly history with Antonio Brown - CBSSports.com

Picking up the legacy of Jack Tatum.

Got to wonder what the hell Gruden is doing.. He's got a ton of picks. So it will be a young team. But then he adds headcases like Brown and Burfict?

This should be fun...

should make training camp 'interesting'
smart pick up by the raiders

Got to wonder what the hell Gruden is doing.. He's got a ton of picks. So it will be a young team. But then he adds headcases like Brown and Burfict?

head cases who are also premiere football players
smart play

After this off season of Beckham, Bell and Brown I'm not sure what you are talking about..

that they are premiere football players as you will see in 2019

your posts smell of envy

The Raiders of old.

lolwhut? Tatum was a hard hitter who played within the rules set during his era, he wasnt a cheapshot artist like Burfict is.

lolwhut? Tatum was a hard hitter who played within the rules set during his era, he wasnt a cheapshot artist like Burfict is.

I think Burfict would have fit in just fine in the old days.

head cases who are also premiere football players
smart play

I agree. A one-year deal for a linebacker that can rack up 100+ tackles for $5 million in incentives.

Good deal.

I think Burfict would have fit in just fine in the old days.

He would have gotten his clock cleaned if he cheapshoted other players back in the old days.

The Brown move makes sense...he's too talented to not take a chance on. Burfict...that has to be like a cap move or something.

The Brown move makes sense...he's too talented to not take a chance on. Burfict...that has to be like a cap move or something.

We'll see if Brown's talent was his or a lot of it was Roethlisberger. I mean Bells good, don't get me wrong but it turned out that a lot of Bell's success was because of the Steelers o line and was because of the Steelers system.. . We'll see what goes on with Brown when he has Carr throwing to him and not Roethlisberger.

????? You dont know what you are writing about. The Raiders are the Original Gangsters in the NFL. Or should I say OC's the Original Cheaters. Stickum, electronic and aircraft based spying. Theft of play books. In jail on Saturday, playing on the field Sunday, drunk again on Monday. Never forget they invented a lot of cheating methods the NFL has banned. They are the primary reason for the NFL drug policy. The Patriots cant hold their jock strap, when it comes to the masters of cheating, the Oakland Raiders.

karen salmansohn quote:

“I'd rather have an enemy who admits that they hate me, than a friend who secretly puts me down.”

I think AB has more respect for Vontez than Big Ben.

Here is an ex-teammate saying Big Ben fumbled the ball on purpose:

Ex-Steeler says Roethlisberger once fumbled on purpose to spite Todd Haley

A lot of Big Ben's teammates hated playing with him.

I think the NFL should fine the Steelers, take draft picks away from them and suspend the whole coaching for at least a year. I've never heard of such cruelty and inhuman treatment.. Can you imagine? Paying players MILLIONS and then asking those football players to train and play football? SHOCKING!!

Bell, who signed a four-year contract with the New York Jets last week, also said that the Steelers don't treat players like "a human," saying that all they want you to do is work out and play football. You can't play video games, play basketball or be yourself on social media.

Le'''Veon Bell: Pittsburgh Steelers Don'''t Treat Players Like Humans

My "routine" is pin people down and make them explain themselves when their objection is unclear - complaining that the raiders, near the defensive bottom in 2017, because they didn't get much worse in 2018 without Mack (and Irvin) says ZERO about why you think Gruden knows what he is doing.

There isn't any doubt that he jettisoned a young and great pass rusher who has propelled Chicago's defense to number one, in order to recruit a great and expensive 31 year old recvr. To that end, his defense which could have been so much better in 2018 regressed and has the worst pass rush in the NFL, for an offensive player who is too old to plan to build around. (He might hang on in the slot...maybe).

And in the process, Gruden and Davis shattered the team morale. As far as I am concerned, its appropriate that the Raiders are heading to Vegas - where else would a fickle and unserious ownership go?

But then, it can't get too much worse than 4-12, can it?

the Sloan Sports Conference anyway, when a bunch of analytically-minded folks in the sports space decided to hand the Raiders a giant trophy as part of being named winner of the "Best Transaction" award.

Yes, the trade of Khalil Mack -- largely ripped by everyone, including yours truly right here on this website -- was considered the Best Transaction in all of sports in 2018 from an analytical perspective.

Raiders receive 'Best Transaction' award at analytics conference for trading Khalil Mack to Bears - CBSSports.com

The Raiders trading away Mack was an intelligent move. Dee Ford for example had more sacks than Mack and was traded for a second round pick. Jaso-Pierre Paul was traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick and had more sacks than Mack as well.

Raiders receive 'Best Transaction' award at analytics conference for trading Khalil Mack to Bears - CBSSports.com

The Raiders trading away Mack was an intelligent move. Dee Ford for example had more sacks than Mack and was traded for a second round pick. Jaso-Pierre Paul was traded for a 3rd and 4th round pick and had more sacks than Mack as well.

LOL an analytics conference? Whoever attended it must be on drugs. Mack may not have gotten the record in sacks last season, but the Bears used him in a wide variety of schemes, not just as a pass rusher- and they won the division handily because of it. A smart viewer would have figured that out easily. :lol:

If trading away for Mack was an intelligent move, it wasn't because Dee Ford or Paul on much different teams and defenses. The drop of Raiders from 30 plus sacks with Mack the prior year to 10.5 sacks this year, in spite of a much improved secondary, is due to the absence of Macks presence - someone who often required double-teaming (and sometimes even that didn't work). The impact of a player is not only in their direct play, but in the effect of their presence. AS the only defensive linemen of serious talent (the rest being marginal to terrible) he was a necessary start to rebuilding the defense.

A few additional points;

- If you think the raiders will find a talent better than Mack (5th pick) at the 27th pick (Chicago's pick), good luck.

- The so-called analytics is based on the value of losing a 5th rounder of extreme talent, plus risking a new pick at 27th, and the following year a swap of first and second round picks. RISK is just that: its a 50/50 risk that the player drafted will make it in the NFL, let alone that he will be a pro-bowl or MVP caliber.

- If they non-exclusive franchised tagged Mack, they would paid about the same as they had offered, and next year (which is this year) when Mack hit free agency they would have gotten 2 first round picks from the team that got him - no strings attached. However, that depended on the raiders making up there mind before July 15, 2018. And that requires a coherent strategy which, apparently, they didn't have.

- Everyone ripped the raiders, rightly, when their primary "logic" was that couldn't pay the money asked for not even for a franchise tag (which would have been less than 17.5 million). We now know that is B.S.

- The Raiders took a risk, and they paid for it. The 27th pick is NOT what they expected, nor the 24th pick for Cooper.

- None of this makes particular sense in turning around and paying the money they said they didn't have for a trade for A. Brown and free agent T. Brown, two aging players who won't be around for long but will be on a team that has barely begun to rebuild.

So no, I am not "impressed" by the analytics of the entire Gruden-Davis-McKenzie saga: the failure to revitalize Cooper, and failure to wisely handle Mack, or get full 1st round draft choice value. But I am impressed with Maycock, who got what Gruden-Davis were willing to lavishly pay for and to snag Williams, who I believe will be a gem choice as a second WR.

And should this translate into Maycock bringing in real quality talent for the 24th and 27th pick this year, and an unknown pick next year, an it is equal to what was lost (assuming Gruden will listen to him), at least the deal will have been no worse than breaking even. If Maycock hits on all three picks (the third being a swap), it will be a plus (although that is highly unlikely).

But we shall see.

Last edited:
If trading away for Mack was an intelligent move, it wasn't because Dee Ford or Paul on much different teams and defenses. The drop of Raiders from 30 plus sacks with Mack the prior year to 10.5 sacks this year, in spite of a much improved secondary, is due to the absence of Macks presence - someone who often required double-teaming (and sometimes even that didn't work). The impact of a player is not only in their direct play, but in the effect of their presence. AS the only defensive linemen of serious talent (the rest being marginal to terrible) he was a necessary start to rebuilding the defense.

A few additional points;

- If you think the raiders will find a talent better than Mack (5th pick) at the 27th pick (Chicago's pick), good luck.

- The so-called analytics is based on the value of losing a 5th rounder of extreme talent, plus risking a new pick at 27th, and the following year a swap of first and second round picks. RISK is just that: its a 50/50 risk that the player drafted will make it in the NFL, let alone that he will be a pro-bowl or MVP caliber.

1. This is deep draft with a lot of great defensive linemen. According to cbs:

Defensive tackles: 7 Instant high-quality starters
Edge Rushers: 6 No. 1 edge rushers

2019 NFL Draft: Ranking all 28 edge rushers to know, from Nick Bosa to Titus Davis - CBSSports.com

Most mock drafts I see have the raiders taking at least 1 defensive linemen in the draft with 1 of their 3 first round picks.

2. I see the Bears really struggling in 2019. Matt Nagy is unproven. The Bears still lack a high-powered passing game. That pick imo will be a top-10 pick.

Back
Top Bottom