• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Zealand gun crimes rise to highest in a decade despite strict gun bans

New Zealand gun crimes rise to highest in a decade despite strict gun bans

The same thing in England. And Australia sees more guns than pre-ban.

That wasn't supposed to happen

Gun crime rates and killings involving guns in New Zealand reached their highest level in a decade this year despite the country's strict gun control measures lauded by left-wing politicians in the United States.

The figures, obtained from police under the Official Information Act by news outlet RNZ, show that gun crime has increased in the country in 2018 and 2019:

Last year, there were 3540 occasions where an offender was found with a gun.

And in both of the last two years, the rate of deadly incidents involving a firearm was the highest it had been since 2009.

The number of guns seized by police is also on the rise, up almost 50 percent on five years earlier at 1263 last year.

An officer was attacked by someone wielding a gun 13 times in 2019, up two on 2018 but remaining steady over the past five years.

New Zealand earned praise from gun control advocates in the spring 2019 after Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern banned all "military-style semi-automatic weapons" and "assault rifles" in the wake of a massacre of 50 people at two mosques in Christchurch. As a part of the ban, the government implemented a gun buyback program allowing legal gun owners to surrender their firearms to the government for "fair and reasonable compensation." Proponents of the ban assumed that it would result in fewer guns in the country, and thus, fewer gun crimes. But that evidently is not what has happened so far.

New Zealand gun crimes rise to highest in a decade despite strict gun bans - TheBlaze

Conservative propaganda is sooo for stupid people..

New Zealand has so few gun deaths per year it is NOTHING to skew the numbers.

that is like me trying to say “shark attacks have doubled this year!! This year there were 2!”

BWAHAHAHAHA. I MEAN DAMN..

New Zealand AVERAGES 2.5 gun deaths per million people..

The US averages 32.5 gun deaths per million..

New Zealand vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~ And why was the UK ban implemented?

Why the ban?

Hmm. I asked a question about the US general gun crime statistics for 2019 and never got an answer.

Anyhooo, gun bans happen in countries when it is demonstrated that easy access to guns leads to mass slaughter or mass shootings as you in America are so good at. In the UK, the Dunblane massacre followed after Hungerford and most guns were banned or severly limited. Remember, what is good for everyone else does not work for the USA and equally, what works for Americans (more guns because of guns) doesn't work anywhere else in the world.

Now, someday, someone will take me up on where I can find last years all gun-crime statistics...

There is no lie of omission.

No matter how fervently you try to make it so....

There is an increase in gun violence .

There is an increase in gun violence in spite of a ban.

And there most certainly is a relationship... Why was the ban implemented?

Think for a moment before you answer.

And why was the Australian ban implemented?

And why was the UK ban implemented?

Why the ban?

You might get the relationship if you think.

Yet i have already shown that the rise in violent crime was predicted 10 years before the ban. You have given nothing to show anyone in nz expected to stop that prediction by a gun ban.
Your making a poor association and depending a lot on the hope that people cannot tell time.

The idea that a gun ban will stop violence is nothing more than an idea created by pro gun people on the basis of if they can think up a stupid reason for doing something and then start demanding that must be the reason then they have proved it is a stupid reason.
Your problem is you do not think. It gets in the way of being a sheeple and spreading lies.

Conservative propaganda is sooo for stupid people..

New Zealand has so few gun deaths per year it is NOTHING to skew the numbers.

that is like me trying to say “shark attacks have doubled this year!! This year there were 2!”

BWAHAHAHAHA. I MEAN DAMN..

New Zealand AVERAGES 2.5 gun deaths per million people..

The US averages 32.5 gun deaths per million..

New Zealand vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, nothing to add about a ten year high in gun crimes is spite of a ban.

Got it.

Yet i have already shown that the rise in violent crime was predicted 10 years before the ban. You have given nothing to show anyone in nz expected to stop that prediction by a gun ban.
Your making a poor association and depending a lot on the hope that people cannot tell time.

The idea that a gun ban will stop violence is nothing more than an idea created by pro gun people on the basis of if they can think up a stupid reason for doing something and then start demanding that must be the reason then they have proved it is a stupid reason.
Your problem is you do not think. It gets in the way of being a sheeple and spreading lies.

Why was a ban instituted?

It is a simple, simple question.

Hmm. I asked a question about the US general gun crime statistics for 2019 and never got an answer.

Anyhooo, gun bans happen in countries when it is demonstrated that easy access to guns leads to mass slaughter or mass shootings as you in America are so good at. In the UK, the Dunblane massacre followed after Hungerford and most guns were banned or severly limited. Remember, what is good for everyone else does not work for the USA and equally, what works for Americans (more guns because of guns) doesn't work anywhere else in the world.

Now, someday, someone will take me up on where I can find last years all gun-crime statistics...

Perhaps I didn't answer because this thread is about New Zealand gun crime increases in spite of a ban.

Got it.

Do you even know what factors are behind that rise in violence? Anyone in nz could tell you. And laugh at you if you suggest it is because of the gun ban.

Do you even know what factors are behind that rise in violence? Anyone in nz could tell you. And laugh at you if you suggest it is because of the gun ban.

Who suggested the violence increased because of the gun ban?

I suggest you address what I say and not create fantasy tales....

So, why was the ban implemented?

Let's play your game for a moment...

What are the factors that are behind the rise in gun violence?

More evidence, if ever it was needed, that the private ownership of guns needs to be banned.

Gun crime is bad....so how can the answer be to supply even more guns causing even more gun crime ?

And put it in perspective. NZ gun crime is still NOTHING like we see in the USA.

it was never that way, the difference is cultural

Name a small furry animal from South America....

This thread is about New Zealand and their ban.

You live in a notoriously violent society, and pointing elsewhere does nothing to change that. Remove the log from your eye before complaining of the motes in others'

Why was a ban instituted?

It is a simple, simple question.

The ban was introduced because nearly everyone in nz wanted the government to take some firm steps and not be seen to be as weak and as pathetic as the american government. The words you want to hear though is that the gun ban was introduced because of a mass shooting.

However before you shout victory you are still required to show what association there is between a rise in violence that was predicted 10 years ago and has nothing to do with why the ban was introduced somehow means that there is a rise in violence despite a gun ban. Or why a mas shooting has anything to do with a rise in violence whose source and reason has nothing to do with the mass shooting.

You really do not bother to listen just keep mouthing lies.

The gun ban was a year ago yet the rise in violence was predicted 10 years ago. So really, the only thing to add here is to ask if you can count or is it just that you do not let facts get in the way of pro gun propaganda

The ban was introduced because nearly everyone in nz wanted the government to take some firm steps and not be seen to be as weak and as pathetic as the american government. The words you want to hear though is that the gun ban was introduced because of a mass shooting.

However before you shout victory you are still required to show what association there is between a rise in violence that was predicted 10 years ago and has nothing to do with why the ban was introduced somehow means that there is a rise in violence despite a gun ban. Or why a mas shooting has anything to do with a rise in violence whose source and reason has nothing to do with the mass shooting.

You really do not bother to listen just keep mouthing lies.

The gun ban was a year ago yet the rise in violence was predicted 10 years ago. So really, the only thing to add here is to ask if you can count or is it just that you do not let facts get in the way of pro gun propaganda

Is the bolded not true?

Was there not a mass shooting and was this not a reaction to same?

And you keep accusing me of lying yet you cannot put into words what lie you imagine I told.

Just nebulous "lie of omission" nonsense.

Now, I also asked you to lay out what the reasons are for the increased gun violence? Or is another rant about nebulous imagined lies in the offing?

Is the bolded not true?

Was there not a mass shooting and was this not a reaction to same?

And you keep accusing me of lying yet you cannot put into words what lie you imagine I told.

Just nebulous "lie of omission" nonsense.

Now, I also asked you to lay out what the reasons are for the increased gun violence? Or is another rant about nebulous imagined lies in the offing?

No, i accuse you of spreading lies. And you prove it true every time you fail to make an association with the rise in violence and the gun ban

No, i accuse you of spreading lies. And you prove it true every time you fail to make an association with the rise in violence and the gun ban

Maybe this hasn't occurred to you.... To spread lies one must tell lies.

And I called it. Rather than discuss you want to accuse.

And the reason for the rise in violence is australia deporting violent gang members to nz. Most of the gun violence in nz at the moment can be laid at the feet of gang rivalry from australian gangs moving in and competing for territory with nz gangs. All this started 10 years ago and has nothing to do with the mass shooting or with why the gun ban was introduced.

Maybe this hasn't occurred to you.... To spread lies one must tell lies.

And I called it. Rather than discuss you want to accuse.

FFS I must ask you once again. Do you actually comprehend what a lie by omission is? Your op article left out information that would have negated his view that there is a rise in violence despite a ban. It was a biased based on the knowledge that pro gun sheeple will buy any lie that supports their ideology. You are nothing more than another sheeple following where lead.

And the reason for the rise in violence is australia deporting violent gang members to nz. Most of the gun violence in nz at the moment can be laid at the feet of gang rivalry from australian gangs moving in and competing for territory with nz gangs. All this started 10 years ago and has nothing to do with the mass shooting or with why the gun ban was introduced.

Good. At least you are trying.

And did ANYONE say the mass shooting had ANYTHING to do with the immigration problem you have?

As to the gun ban...

New Zealand Passes Law Banning Most Semiautomatic Weapons, Weeks After Massacre - The New York Times

Not one mention of gang violence.

Not one.

Plenty of references to your mass shootings.

But no gang crime.

Back
Top Bottom