• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

New Mexico Store Bans ‘Obama & Other Muslims’

ThoughtEx.

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
"A New Mexico convenience store owner appears to promote his business by making threats of political violence.

The Mayhill Convenience Store has had signs up for more than a year that include phrases like “Bullets Not Ballots” and “Kill Obama” with the word “care” written in smaller letters under it."

New Mexico Store Bans 'Obama & Other Muslims' | The Huffington Post

It saddens me to see an American behaving this way. At least he's honest. Article say's his phones turned off, I wonder if that's because he can't afford it or is tired of the abuse from people looking to shame him into changing. Personally, I say just don't shop there, forcing racists to be politically correct doesn't cure racism. It teaches them how to package their racism as something that seems benign. And I think we all know how that can come back to bite us...

"Kill Obama"?? How the hell has this store not been IMMEDIATELY shut down??

"A New Mexico convenience store owner appears to promote his business by making threats of political violence.

The Mayhill Convenience Store has had signs up for more than a year that include phrases like “Bullets Not Ballots” and “Kill Obama” with the word “care” written in smaller letters under it."

It saddens me to see an American behaving this way. At least he's honest. Article say's his phones turned off, I wonder if that's because he can't afford it or is tired of the abuse from people looking to shame him into changing. Personally, I say just don't shop there, forcing racists to be politically correct doesn't cure racism. It teaches them how to package their racism as something that seems benign. And I think we all know how that can come back to bite us...

He sounds mentally disturbed. The SS should be on his doorstep. We need to nip this kind of **** in the bud.

Obama wasn't coming to their store anyways.

What a moron.

He sounds mentally disturbed. The SS should be on his doorstep. We need to nip this kind of **** in the bud.

If you have ever been to Mayhill NM, it would make a bit more sense. The population is most anarchist types who have their opinions and don't appreciate having them challenged. I can't imagine many, if any, Muslims going through there, much less stopping to shop, but regardless, the people are essentially harmless. They won't get in your face if you don't get in theirs and the usual person encountering them will find them funny, friendly, helpful, and willing to give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

I don't condone the signs, some of which are offensive to me, and I would personally find that culture pretty intellectually stifling and wouldn't want to live there--it is beautiful country though--but it really isn't as bad as the Huffington Post is portraying it.

If you have ever been to Mayhill NM, it would make a bit more sense. The population is most anarchist types who have their opinions and don't appreciate having them challenged. I can't imagine many, if any, Muslims going through there, much less stopping to shop, but regardless, the people are essentially harmless. They won't get in your face if you don't get in theirs and the usual person encountering them will find them funny, friendly, helpful, and willing to give you the shirt off their back if you need it.

I don't condone the signs, some of which are offensive to me, and I would personally find that culture pretty intellectually stifling and wouldn't want to live there--it is beautiful country though--but it really isn't as bad as the Huffington Post is portraying it.

What a surprise about the HuffPost. ;)

I didn't think the huffpo was makimg the community seem bad, on the contrary the part about people being banned for complaining makes me think well of the community. Its this one dude, and he's making himself look bad.

I didn't think the huffpo was makimg the community seem bad, on the contrary the part about people being banned for complaining makes me think well of the community. Its this one dude, and he's making himself look bad.

Again I don't condone it. I wouldn't want to be required to live with that kind of what to me is pure nonsense. But the Huffington Post, as it often does, emphasizes the negative and ignores the bigger picture. In other words, in my opinion, the guy is something of a jerk in that regard, but no black helicopters or guys in trench coats in the shadows are warranted in this case.

Let's give this a little consideration.

Mayhill, NM, according to Wikipedia, has "a post office, a restaurant, and a gas station". - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhill,_New_Mexico

It's one small "unincorporated community" (not even big enough to be a town or a village) in Otero County. The whole of Otero County has less than 70k residents and half of them live in Alamagordo.

The Wiki page for Weed, NM (also in Otero County) shows a population of 63 and even an area code. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed,_New_Mexico - That's like 10 times the information given on Mayhill.

Just ponder, if you will, how much effort someone must have gone to just to discover this convenience store in a back water nobody ever heard of and then how much additional effort they had put forth just to become outraged over the proprietor's signs.

I'm curious. What is it that prompts people to get outraged over this crap? If it wasn't for the internet would anyone even hear about this crap? Would they care? I mean, seriously, one of the reasons people live in tiny little towns out in the middle of nowhere is so that they can express their opinions without causing a stir. Yet, just because they can't find enough stuff to be pissed off about where they live, some idiot has to go out traveling the back roads just to find those opinions and expose them to everyone else. I'm not even going to blame lefties for this. We see people on the right scouring college course catalogues just so they can get all wigged out over the latest "100 reasons to hate white, cicgender males" class.

I'm tired of this ****. I just finished dealing with 8 years of absurd and ever increasing divisiveness. More than that, actually. It's really been since around 2003 that the lunatics started running the media asylum and it shows no signs of stopping. How difficult is it to take a second or two when you see this clickbait crap and think to yourself "I've got about a million things better to do with my time than spend one second getting pissed off over this crap"?

Mayhill, NM, according to Wikipedia, has "a post office, a restaurant, and a gas station". - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayhill,_New_Mexico

It's one small "unincorporated community" (not even big enough to be a town or a village) in Otero County. The whole of Otero County has less than 70k residents and half of them live in Alamagordo.

The Wiki page for Weed, NM (also in Otero County) shows a population of 63 and even an area code. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weed,_New_Mexico - That's like 10 times the information given on Mayhill.

Just ponder, if you will, how much effort someone must have gone to just to discover this convenience store in a back water nobody ever heard of and then how much additional effort they had put forth just to become outraged over the proprietor's signs.

I'm curious. What is it that prompts people to get outraged over this crap? If it wasn't for the internet would anyone even hear about this crap? Would they care? I mean, seriously, one of the reasons people live in tiny little towns out in the middle of nowhere is so that they can express their opinions without causing a stir. Yet, just because they can't find enough stuff to be pissed off about where they live, some idiot has to go out traveling the back roads just to find those opinions and expose them to everyone else. I'm not even going to blame lefties for this. We see people on the right scouring college course catalogues just so they can get all wigged out over the latest "100 reasons to hate white, cicgender males" class.

I'm tired of this ****. I just finished dealing with 8 years of absurd and ever increasing divisiveness. More than that, actually. It's really been since around 2003 that the lunatics started running the media asylum and it shows no signs of stopping. How difficult is it to take a second or two when you see this clickbait crap and think to yourself "I've got about a million things better to do with my time than spend one second getting pissed off over this crap"?

Yeah, some one must have actually had to get gas. How unlikely is that...

Again I don't condone it. I wouldn't want to be required to live with that kind of what to me is pure nonsense. But the Huffington Post, as it often does, emphasizes the negative and ignores the bigger picture. In other words, in my opinion, the guy is something of a jerk in that regard, but no black helicopters or guys in trench coats in the shadows are warranted in this case.

Are we reading the same article? Huffpo isn't emphasizing anything, or calling for helicopters and trench coats. And what's the bigger picture here they are ignoring? If there's a bigger picture, I missed it completely.

I wouldn't say I'm outraged. But I do feel raising awareness of people like this helps us avoid them, and helps the people they hate avoid them. Hiding these things, ignoring them because they embarrass us, or they are inconvenient only gives them the opportunity to go to far while we are not looking.

It shouldn't piss you off, it should worry you. And that worry should lead you to set an example, and with more worried people setting examples progress is made. Racism isn't curable in a person, you can't make someone not hate something. But with more awareness, more accountability, and more dialogue on the subject the next generation won't have as many racists. And the one after even fewer. It's that liberal indoctrination everyones terrified of... :mrgreen:

Are we reading the same article? Huffpo isn't emphasizing anything, or calling for helicopters and trench coats. And what's the bigger picture here they are ignoring? If there's a bigger picture, I missed it completely.

Hunting for software to insert somewhere: "Understanding metaphors along with developing a sense of humor" or something like that.

Hunting for software to insert somewhere: "Understanding metaphors along with developing a sense of humor" or something like that.

You are an odd bird...

Get it? Lol. Because your an owl, see I have a sense of humor.

Where is the racism?

And I believe that, but it's still moronic and I wish people would just stop.

It actually sounds more like a case of promoting violence rather than making "threats" of violence.

"Kill Obama"?? How the hell has this store not been IMMEDIATELY shut down??
Hi Maggie :2wave: I am in no way endorsing the actions of this store owner; but:

President Obama appears to have been quite adept at bringing out the absolute worst in so many Americans, including his own supporters as well as his detractors such as this fellow.

Far too many of President Obama's supporters project the belief that his Administration condones and justifies their violent racial protests involving vandalism, looting, assaults and even murder.

It seems that many of these so-called "protests" went uninterrupted by police departments that were ordered to stand down as violence and destruction exploded around them.

And Obama's detractors are reacting to 8 years of misguided concern for the rights of illegal aliens, refugees and terrorists while defending the good image of Islam; rather than the safety and welfare of American citizens.

The entirety of the Obama Presidency has been one big set back for race relations in America. I for one have certainly never seen it this bad in my 29 years of life.

And I believe that, but it's still moronic and I wish people would just stop.

Of course it is moronic, most especially when the left uses examples like that to tar us all with that kind of brush. So for that reason, I wish the uber-right wingers were less extreme and I wish everybody would spell out what they actually mean instead of using inflammatory and/or insulting slogans or talking points or sound bites. Yes a sign stating "KILL OBAMA" in big letters followed by "care" in small letters is not calling for anybody to kill the President--it is intended in the same vein as any of us saying "He ought to be shot" or whatever. Intended as humor that definitely falls flat in its impact on most people who read it.

Banning Muslims of course means somebody in a burka who won't show her face or anybody else who could be viewed with suspicion of intent--it isn't like a person's religion otherwise shows when they are dressed as most Americans dress. But at face value, it is taken as racist or Islamophobic.

But then again, liberty allows us to be who and what we are so long as we are violating nobody else's rights, and that means having liberty to be a jerk or ignorant or stupid or insulting.

Back
Top Bottom