• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Movies You Have Watched Over and Over Again

Submarine movies: My favorite is The Enemy Below. Curt Jurgens, encouraging a senior crewman while under severe depth charge attack: "We build them good in Germany, Eh Heine?"

Thank you, Jack. I think I need to order that one again. I gave my copy to a friend that was going on deployment with the Air Force when I lived in Rapid City.

Remember when Robert Mitchum heard the little party they were having down below, and just gave a knowing smile at the tactic?

For serious movies, Casablanca...especially bearing in mind that it was made in 1942, when the outcome of WWII was still very much in doubt. It had all the great themes - honor, duty, courage, bravery, romance, love, compassion...all in a time of near-hopeless desperation. It was the perfect movie. And - from the guy's point of view - yeah, we can have a great love story and be chock-full of testosterone, the little guy facing a monstrous war machine, at the same time.

It was indeed the perfect movie. And I get teary every time the customers of Rick's Cafe Americain begin singing the Marseilles as their only means of rebellion against the Nazis. It's the most patriotic scene in any movie I can think of, bar none. Damn, but that does make a man want to take up arms against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and, by opposing, end them!

let's not forget the term it left us with for decades to come....." the USUAL suspects ".

Thank you, Jack. I think I need to order that one again. I gave my copy to a friend that was going on deployment with the Air Force when I lived in Rapid City.

Remember when Robert Mitchum heard the little party they were having down below, and just gave a knowing smile at the tactic?

That's when Mitchum decided he and Jurgens would be friends under other circumstances.

Forest Gump

The Godfather

Wizard of Oz

Anything with John Wayne in it.

For serious movies, Casablanca...especially bearing in mind that it was made in 1942, when the outcome of WWII was still very much in doubt. It had all the great themes - honor, duty, courage, bravery, romance, love, compassion...all in a time of near-hopeless desperation. It was the perfect movie. And - from the guy's point of view - yeah, we can have a great love story and be chock-full of testosterone, the little guy facing a monstrous war machine, at the same time.

It was indeed the perfect movie. And I get teary every time the customers of Rick's Cafe Americain begin singing the Marseilles as their only means of rebellion against the Nazis. It's the most patriotic scene in any movie I can think of, bar none. Damn, but that does make a man want to take up arms against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and, by opposing, end them!

Claude Rains gets the best lines. "Rick, you must stop throwing away women. Someday they may be valuable."

May I suggest "The Sand Pebbles". It's the best Navy movie I can think of.

Claude Rains gets the best lines. "Rick, you must stop throwing away women. Someday they may be valuable."

One never realizes how many lines from Casablanca survive today - even if they weren't the real lines (e.g. "Play it again, Sam"). There was "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"...and I know there were several more.

One never realizes how many lines from Casablanca survive today - even if they weren't the real lines (e.g. "Play it again, Sam"). There was "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship"...and I know there were several more.

You are spot on. Incredible writing. "What watch?" "Ten watch."

Midway for me. I love Hal Holbrook as the intel officer.

The reason I loved The Sand Pebbles so much were the confusion and the conflicts of duty in a foreign land, the conflicts of culture...and it helped that Steve McQueen played an Machinist's Mate First Class (which was what I was) and the descriptions in the engineering scenes were very accurate.

The reason I loved The Sand Pebbles so much were the confusion and the conflicts of duty in a foreign land, the conflicts of culture...and it helped that Steve McQueen played an Machinist's Mate First Class (which was what I was) and the descriptions in the engineering scenes were very accurate.

It is indeed an excellent flick.

Round up the usual suspects.

Hal Holbrook in Midway, replying after Charlton Heston says, "You're just guessing."

"We like to call it analysis."

Any Harry Potter movie
Matrix
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki
Akira
Serenity (Firefly)
The Maltese Falcon
By Akiro Kurosawa:
Rashomon
Yojimbo
Ran
Seven Samuri​

I don't recall to whom he said it. Schell is likely correct. My favorite character after Mason is James Coburn as a wily enlisted veteran of the Eastern Front.

What is not to like about James Mason. To me, he will always be Rommel. I understand he was so good in the role, he played Rommel in a few other movies too.
The saddest role he was in was a plantation owner in Mandingo. He of course was good as usual, but it was hard for me to wrap my head around Rommel owning a plantation.:)

Yup, it was James Coburn who said it to Maxamillion Schell, after Sgt Steiner's (Coburn's) entire squad was wiped out due to some friendly fire and trickery on Schell's part. He grabbed him and said, " you are my squad now. Let me show you were the iron crosses grow ". Schell said, I accept your challenge and off they went.

***********************************************************************************************

I do not know how they did it, but there is a scene early on when the Russians attack, and they finally get their MG-42 back in operation and chewed the Russians up with it. How in hell they got it to look like that? It was about as realistic as all get out. The MG-42 was an awesome weapon indeed, and fired that 7.92 ammo at about 1200 rounds per minute as I recall. How they got it to look so real, was amazing.

Once I was watching a news report about fighting international piracy, and they were talking to a Dutch sailor on his ship, and in the background, mounted on a rail was an MG-42!

As I understand it, the machine gun was so good, there was no need for any other to be designed, so all they did was rechamber it for the 7.62 NATO round.

Light, reliable, quick change barrels, and a high rate of fire. What's not to like. One day I may drive to the Big Sandy machine gun shoot just to fire one. It might cost me $200 to fire a belt of ammo, but hell, why not...just once. A not-so-cheap thrill.

What is not to like about James Mason. To me, he will always be Rommel. I understand he was so good in the role, he played Rommel in a few other movies too.
The saddest role he was in was a plantation owner in Mandingo. He of course was good as usual, but it was hard for me to wrap my head around Rommel owning a plantation.:)

Yup, it was James Coburn who said it to Maxamillion Schell, after Sgt Steiner's (Coburn's) entire squad was wiped out due to some friendly fire and trickery on Schell's part. He grabbed him and said, " you are my squad now. Let me show you were the iron crosses grow ". Schell said, I accept your challenge and off they went.

***********************************************************************************************

I do not know how they did it, but there is a scene early on when the Russians attack, and they finally get their MG-42 back in operation and chewed the Russians up with it. How in hell they got it to look like that? It was about as realistic as all get out. The MG-42 was an awesome weapon indeed, and fired that 7.92 ammo at about 1200 rounds per minute as I recall. How they got it to look so real, was amazing.

Once I was watching a news report about fighting international piracy, and they were talking to a Dutch sailor on his ship, and in the background, mounted on a rail was an MG-42!

As I understand it, the machine gun was so good, there was no need for any other to be designed, so all they did was rechamber it for the 7.62 NATO round.

Light, reliable, quick change barrels, and a high rate of fire. What's not to like. One day I may drive to the Big Sandy machine gun shoot just to fire one. It might cost me $200 to fire a belt of ammo, but hell, why not...just once. A not-so-cheap thrill.

Excellent memory, better than mine. I recall a scene in which the perspective is that of the man being shot & killed. Only time I ever saw that on film.

Any Harry Potter movie
Matrix
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
Serenity (Firefly)
The Maltese Falcon
By Akiro Kurosawa:
Rashomon
Yojimbo
Ran
Seven Samuri​

I would add Serial Experiments Lain,

Not too many.

River's Edge.
Kagemusha.
Tampopo
Parents (Randy Quaid's only truly great role)
Payback (One of Jame's Coburn's shortest, funniest moments)

All I can think of for now.

I watched Top Gun many many times all the way into the aughts, but I wore it out.

I will always watch Ferris Buellers's day off if I see it on the tv. Shawshank Redemption is another favorite of mine. Fried Green Tomatoes is also a personal favorite.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Gone with the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Chicago (best musical ever made)
The Big Short (right now I'm hooked on this one; I've seen it about 5 times so far)
Oklahoma
My Fair Lady
South Pacific
The Music Man

Gone with the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Chicago (best musical ever made)
The Big Short (right now I'm hooked on this one; I've seen it about 5 times so far)
Oklahoma
My Fair Lady
South Pacific
The Music Man

I'm seeing a theme.

one of my husband's is White Christmas. He also likes this one called Robin and the Seven Hoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any Harry Potter movie
Matrix
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Akira
Serenity (Firefly)
The Maltese Falcon
By Akiro Kurosawa:
Rashomon
Yojimbo
Ran
Seven Samuri​

I love Samurai movies, Ive got an extensive DVD collection on them too. Mostly Criterion stuff.

In addition to the ones you listed, here are my other Samurai faves:

Zatoichi movie series
Lone Wolf and Cub movie series
Kill
13 Assassins
Hanzo the Razor

I love Samurai movies, Ive got an extensive DVD collection on them too. Mostly Criterion stuff.

In addition to the ones you listed, here are my other Samurai faves:

Zatoichi movie series
Lone Wolf and Cub movie series
Kill
13 Assassins
Hanzo the Razor

I have the entire Lone wolf and cub manga. I have to admit the ending was disconcerting.

Back
Top Bottom