• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mother accidentally shoots and kill teenage daughter

Well, what you and I are specifically discussing is whether it's irresponsible for someone to purchase a firearm and forego safety training if they've never had it.
Are there any other rights specified in the Bill of Rights that you believe people should be required to have training on before they exercise them?

Are there any other rights specified in the Bill of Rights that you believe people should be required to have training on before they exercise them?
None come immediately to mind.

I don't believe we know if the gun had a manual safety or not.
So, change my question to "did the gun have a safety, and if so, was it enabled". Happy now?

So, change my question to "did the gun have a safety, and if so, was it enabled". Happy now?
AFAIK, we do not know what the gun was, so there's no way to answer that.
Not all guns have manual safeties.

Assuming her gun had a trigger safety and not an external manual safety, why would she carry it in her purse with a round chambered?

Assuming her gun had a trigger safety and not an external manual safety, why would she carry it in her purse with a round chambered?
Because having to chamber a round before you can fire the gun can get you killed.

Because having to chamber a round before you can fire the gun can get you killed.
Carrying the gun in her purse in that fashion got her daughter killed.

A holster would have been a more appropriate carry option if she insisted on a chambered round.

She might have come to that conclusion, with proper training.

Carrying the gun in her purse in that fashion got her daughter killed.
This neither addresses nor negates the validity of what I said.

Of course it does,
Not in the slightest.
The fact someone died from an accidental gunshot does not in any way address or invalidate, the reasons for carrying with a round in the chamber.

AFAIK, we do not know what the gun was, so there's no way to answer that.
Not all guns have manual safeties.
I said what it was, with a photo early in the thread.
.44 Pistol.
Which has a 6.5lb. trigger.
The chances of shooting a 6.5lb trigger by simply looking for keys is pretty unlikely.
Couple that with the mother makes a gofundme page within hours of killing her 13 year old daughter.
That is over-the-top suspicious to me.

Not in the slightest.
The fact someone died from an accidental gunshot does not in any way address or invalidate, the reasons for carrying with a round in the chamber.
What it does do is force one to examine how one safely carries a firearm in such a state.

With in the particulars of this story a purse was not optimal.

.44 Pistol.
Unless the gun was in the purse with the hammer cocked back, an accidental discharge from a revolver is -extraordinarily - difficult to affect.

Could have been an M&P .40. Also striker fired with a trigger safety.

Safeties are an option on the M&Ps.

I mentioned most of this stuff pages ago.

Unless the gun was in the purse with the hammer cocked back, an accidental discharge from a revolver is -extraordinarily - difficult to affect.
Within hours she sets up a gofundme page, goes on social media making several post about woe is me... who the hell could possibly do that within hours of killing your child??
I think all of us with children here know damn well if this was you, you would need sedation and suicide watch.
The horror of that situation would be unbearable.
And she plops in a chair and makes a gofundme page?????
GTFO

.44 Pistol.
The chances of shooting a 6.5lb trigger by simply looking for keys is pretty unlikely.
Couple that with the mother makes a gofundme page within hours of killing her 13 year old daughter.
That is over-the-top suspicious to me.
Do you think she murdered her daughter because she needed a reason to create a GoFundMe page?

Are there any other rights that can kill you or someone else if you exercise them carelessly?

Negligence requires that someone ignored an obvious risk or acted with disregard for the safety of others.
If you're the DA, do you think you can prove either?
The fact that they gun fired accidentally and killed someone proves it was negligence on the part of the owner.

Religion, for starters.
Believing in god and worshiping doesn't kill anyone, which are the limit of our First Amendment religious rights.

Last edited:
Do you think she murdered her daughter because she needed a reason to create a GoFundMe page?
I have no idea, and never will.
If i was an investigative officer, my "customer" is not the mother, it is the daughter.
And I would clearly raise an eyebrow at the unlikeliness of triggering a 6.5lb trigger just by looking for keys.
Then I would also raise an eyebrow and how on earth was one of the first things this woman did after killing her daughter is go on the internet and make social media posts and setup a gofundme.
I am a parent of 2 children. If I accidently shot and killed one of them... the sheer shock, horror and grief would be more than I could take. I would absolutely, like most people, would need sedatives and people around me to ensure I don't kill myself.
The last possible thing I would do is go on Facebook and make a gofundme.

Back
Top Bottom