• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Moscow concert hall terrorist attack: Shooting and explosion reported

I don't recall using either term.

You're acting like the Ukrainians and Russians were on equal footing. They were not.

No it doesn't. Pollack rather clearly illustrates this in "Arabs at War";

"At a tactical level, the Iraqis exhibited the same problems that had plagued them throughout the war... In particular, the same old problems could be seen when, for one reason or another, the situation did not develop as anticipated by Baghdad's plan..., on numerous occasions when Iraqi tactical units were caught off-guard by an Iranian ambush or an unexpected defensive position, this cooperation disintegrated, leading to losses in infantry and tanks. Unforeseen Iranian counterattacks continued to take a disproportionate toll on Iraqi forces: the Iraqis were slow to react, and in every case their only response was to try to beat back the Iranians with overwhelming firepower. Fortunately for them, their advantage in this area was so enormous (and the Iranian forces were so weak) that it usually worked. Overall, Iraqi tanks continued to rely on massed firepower and the shock effect of frontal assaults rather than maneuver... In those few instances when the Iraqis faced Iranian mobile reserves, they generally reverted to their previous practice of charging the Iranians with guns blazing and tended to defeat the Iranians through sheer weight of numbers rather than any skill in handling a tank or tank formations.

Commanders of Iraqi armored and mechanized platoons, companies, and battalions demonstrated little ability to organize and employ their forces as teams. Similarly, Iraqi artillery fire was devastating primarily because of its volume and heavy reliance on chemical warfare. Iraqi artillery batteries only fired preregistered, preplanned fire missions - even in support of the exploitation operations - and as a result, they rarely could contribute if the armored columns took a wrong turn or encountered Iranian resistance where it was not expected. For this reason, Iraqi artillery generally had little effect after the initial breakthrough battle. "

Kenneth M. Pollack. Arabs at War: Military Effectiveness, 1948-1991 (Studies in War, Society, and the Militar) (Kindle Locations 3252-3258). Kindle Edition.

Their performance does not contradict anything; Iraqi forces were at poor at tactical execution in 1988 as they were in 1980. The difference was in 1988 the Iraqis had amassed overwhelming advantages in artillery and armor, and when coupled with poison gas this was enough to overwhelm Irans' badly depleted forces.

What?

That was a political decision, not a military one.

Once again, “but not me personally” doesn’t actually change the narrative that has been throughly established, especially since you haven’t actually said anything against said narrative.

According to the West the Ukrainians are far superior to the Russians, yes. Yet the Ukrainians are the ones who keep losing major battles.

Is that discussing the same operations I already pointed out? Because A) the source I provided displays a very different picture and B) there’s no dates in the quote you provided, leaving it open that it could be any one of the numerous Iraqi offensives in the previous seven years.

It also doesn’t contradict my statement that the Iraqis demonstrated skill in the use of chemical weapons.

The US engaged in large scale anti-partisan operations in both northern Mexico and across much of the Caribbean and Central America, and struggled immensely.

Political and military will are inherently connected.

Once again, “but not me personally” doesn’t actually change the narrative that has been throughly established, especially since you haven’t actually said anything against said narrative.

All you've really done is complain about a narrative you don't think is accurate using poor, deterministic language.

According to the West the Ukrainians are far superior to the Russians, yes. Yet the Ukrainians are the ones who keep losing major battles.

You cite two Russian victories that were separated by a year. Russia did not win these battles through superior skill-at-arms, they won because they had more men and manpower to throw at them then Ukraine.

Is that discussing the same operations I already pointed out? Because A) the source I provided displays a very different picture

It's in reference to the entirety of Iraqs' final offensive operations.

And your source doesn't back up what you're claiming much at all; there is a world of difference between doing a good job planning an operation and actually executing it. You claimed explicitly "the performance of the Iraqi military as a whole proved substantially better than it had been during the earlier phases of the war", and that is demonstrably not true.

Iraqi final offensives were well planned; that doesn't change the fact that when they actually pulled them off, Iraqi forces were still making a host of basic tactical errors and were only succeeding because they had overwhelming advantages in firepower and armor. As Pollack points out, when it came to the actual performance of Iraqi soldiers and formations (what you included "as a whole"), there was no real improvement from 1980 to 1988.

You are claiming "well they worked, so Iraq must have been good", is a logical fallacy. As Pollack points out, Iraq succeeded in spite of the fact that their forces remained poorly skilled at executing complex maneuvers, because they had overwhelming firepower at their disposal, not because their forces got better at pulling off combines arms operations. As Pollack mentioned, whenever the Iraqis encountered something "offscript", all that planning went out the window and Iraqi forces could only flail about, lacking the skill necessary to seize the initiative.

It also doesn’t contradict my statement that the Iraqis demonstrated skill in the use of chemical weapons.

Using a lot of posion gas on the enemy is not a good mark of conventional capability, so citing it is not really proving your argument especially when Iraq was reliant on US provided intel to guide their usage of it.

The US engaged in large scale anti-partisan operations in both northern Mexico and across much of the Caribbean and Central America, and struggled immensely.

When?

Political and military will are inherently connected.

Not in the way you are trying to present them. That the US lost the political will to maintain a peacekeeping mission in Somalia has little resemblance to the Ukraine war at all. This whole line of argument for you is nonsensical; we are talking about a single battle where Russia allegedly lost 16,000 KIA over the course of ~four months, to two separate wars America waged for the better part of two decades, during which a global financial crisis developed, four Presidential Administrations came and went, along with all the political changes and upheaval that came with it. They are apples and oranges.

Last edited:
It's like what McNamara said in Fog of War: something is not a war crime if you're victorious but is if you're not.

which in turn makes 'murica no different from countries that it criticizes.

That's called an "appeal to hypocrisy," and it is a logical fallacy. No amount of non-Russian hypocrisy can excuse bad Russian behavior. Americans learn that in preschool. You don't get to be naughty just because someone else got away with it last week when no one was looking.

That's called an "appeal to hypocrisy," and it is a logical fallacy. No amount of non-Russian hypocrisy can excuse bad Russian behavior. Americans learn that in preschool. You don't get to be naughty just because someone else got away with it last week when no one was looking.

Actually, I wasn't talking about hypocrisy.

because the longer a battle goes on the more resources are expended in the process. You use ammunition, you use fuel, you lose soldiers, you lose vehicles, etc. An attempt to retreat after additional weeks or months of constant fighting is going to see your forces with less of everything, and that means adjusting plans to deal with that. It’s genuinely amazing that you can’t grasp that.

It’s still a major fortified Ukrainian position that the Russians captured, after seriously repulsing the Ukrainian offensive that was being compared to D-Day.

Given the fact that you can’t bring yourself to face the fact the town was heavily fortified that’s a meaningless accusation.

I dismiss the constant claims of Russia supposedly being utterly weak and incompetent, yes, especially the same people who try and claim that also turn around and start babbling about what a threat Russia supposedly is at the same time.
I don't think some of these people know just how massive those Ukrainian defences are along a front hundreds of miles long, they had 8 years with Nato help to prepare them.

And thousands missing/abducted to Russia.
No they were not abducted by Russia they were taken out of a war zone where those Ukrainian fascists were shelling, it's what civilised people do, it's what happened to my Mother and her siblings from Manchester in WW2 because the City was bombed every night.

Of course, and I fully agree. Any nuclear exchange at all is unacceptable. It is something to be avoided at all costs. This is something Russia should remember before they carelessly get into a hot war with NATO, as the US is fully prepared to respond to any imminent nuclear threat with overwhelming force.
There won't be a hot war with Nato if they keep out.

I was talking about realpolitik.
I know. You are accusing the US of realpolitik as a way of diverting attention from Russian realpolitik. This is a logical fallacy. US behavior has no bearing on Russian behavior. Perhaps I am equally critical of US behavior?

There won't be a hot war with Nato if they keep out.
NATO won't need to get involved as long as Russia doesn't engage in or sponsor a military strike in a NATO country or use tactical nukes in Ukraine.

Judge Napolitano needs to stop trying to legitimize a CTer/Russian propagandist.

You need to stop spinning/shilling for terrorism. Look at all the innocent people who died.
Terrorists don't just convenient strike at moments of your geopolitical convenience.

Watch the video @14:41 and see further comments from other experts like Dr Gilbert Doctorow.

Last edited:
I know. You are accusing the US of realpolitik as a way of diverting attention from Russian realpolitik. This is a logical fallacy. US behavior has no bearing on Russian behavior. Perhaps I am equally critical of US behavior?

No, you don't. You've wasted enough of my time.

There is something wrong with you if you believe the assertion that the US, UK and impressive were behind this attack. It's plain idiotic.
There's nothing idiotic about it.

Plenty of dirty tricks in the history of US foreign policy.

Back
Top Bottom