• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mollie Tibbetts' father in op-ed: She is not a pawn in 'racist' immigration narrative

HenryChinaski

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/40...d-she-is-not-a-pawn-in-immigration-debate?amp
The father of Mollie Tibbetts, the Iowa college student whom authorities say was killed by an undocumented immigrant, urged in an opinion piece published Saturday against his daughter's death being used to advance "racist" views against immigrants.

"Sadly, others have ignored our request. They have instead chosen to callously distort and corrupt Mollie's tragic death to advance a cause she vehemently opposed. I encourage the debate on immigration; there is great merit in its reasonable outcome," he continued. "I encourage the debate on immigration; there is great merit in its reasonable outcome. But do not appropriate Mollie's soul in advancing views she believed were profoundly racist."

"The person who is accused of taking Mollie's life is no more a reflection of the Hispanic community as white supremacists are of all white people," Rob Tibbetts added. "To suggest otherwise is a lie. Justice in my America is blind. This person will receive a fair trial, as it should be. If convicted, he will face the consequences society has set. Beyond that, he deserves no more attention."
I commend this man for standing up and speaking out.

How many threads do we need on his absurd position.

There is no disrespect here with advocating that illegal aliens be deported and the laws changed for better enforcement to help prevent tragedies such as this, regardless of his daughters absurd views on the subject.

There is no disrespect here with advocating that illegal aliens be deported and the laws changed for better enforcement to help prevent tragedies such as this, regardless of his daughters absurd views on the subject.

Liberals do not respect the rule of law.

Have your debates but leave her name out of it. Debate all you want but respect the wish of the father and leave her name out of it.

A name is a private thing. Just as your real name isn't Excon either is it?

Have your debates but leave her name out of it. Debate all you want but respect the wish of the father and leave her name out of it.

Precisely this. You can debate illegal immigration all you want, but leave her name out of your mouth when you do it.

Liberals do not respect the rule of law.

Trump is a liberal? He’s been the one who ignored the rule of law in dealing with immigration. I as a liberal recognize our country’s rights to deport those here illegally, recognize the legal obligation to allow people to apply for political asylum, and the legal requirement not to return refugees. I also understand that illegal immigration is down, and that liberal Obama deported as many or more as his predecessors of both parties.

Convict this guy if guilty; enforce immigration law. But dont make absurd connections between liberals and the two factors. That’s lynch-mob logic.

No.
It is who it happened to.

There is absolutely nothing 'racist' about having or enforcing immigration laws which prohibit and punish any and all illegal immigration. To assert otherwise, or to attempt to equate illegal immigration status with race, is pure nonsense.

Literally true. Any and all. But how many times has Trump accused Canadian illegals of rape? We are all grownups here. To ignore the racial overtones of Trump’s policies and statements is hopelessly naive.

Many on the right really wanted to make this a divisive national issue that Trump could use to deflect from his Russian scandals - but they now are angry that it has been denied to them in the name of decency.

Literally true. Any and all. But how many times has Trump accused Canadian illegals of rape? We are all grownups here. To ignore the racial overtones of Trump’s policies and statements is hopelessly naive.

The fact that Trump often acts like a moron has no bearing on what is or is not good US immigration policy. To assert otherwise is also naive.

The fact that Trump often acts like a moron has no bearing on what is or is not good US immigration policy. To assert otherwise is also naive.

Agreed. But he can make rational discussion of the good and not good much more difficult for both sides.

There is absolutely nothing 'racist' about having or enforcing immigration laws which prohibit and punish any and all illegal immigration. To assert otherwise, or to attempt to equate illegal immigration status with race, is pure nonsense.

This doesn't address what he actually he said. He addressed what is racist about the situation, specifically that his family's story is being used to suggest all Hispanic people and illegals are criminals preying on the population. At no point did he make some nonsense argument that America should not enforce laws.

I am getting really tired of people not being able to separate the issue of racism and white supremacist views from boarder security and enforcing laws. They are not the same issue. They overlap, but her father is talking SPECIFICALLY about the racist element of the issue.

Agreed. But he can make rational discussion of the good and not good much more difficult for both sides.

True but the logic is identical for those who argue that additional crimes by illegal immigrants are preventable if we banned illegal immigrants as for those who argue that crimes committed by illegal gun owners are preventable if we banned illegal gun possession. Both arguments have merit and both rely on extremely rigorous law enforcement not possible with current law enforcement budgets.

Last edited:
This doesn't address what he actually he said. He addressed what is racist about the situation, specifically that his family's story is being used to suggest all Hispanic people and illegals are criminals preying on the population. At no point did he make some nonsense argument that America should not enforce laws.

I am getting really tired of people not being able to separate the issue of racism and white supremacist views from boarder security and enforcing laws. They are not the same issue. They overlap, but her father is talking SPECIFICALLY about the racist element of the issue.

I have yet to see such assertions, perhaps you can post a few prime examples of them for us.

Names are a matter of public record. They are not private things. Nobody is obligated to not cite the terrible thing that happened to mollie tibbets because her father asked that they dont. Further more her father has no idea what her opinion is on this matter since she didn't live long enough to share it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

I have yet to see such assertions, perhaps you can post a few prime examples of them for us.

See her father's statement. Or even check out Excon's post #2.

I think you seem like a decent person, and you have to realize these immigration debates are encouraging to white supremacists and their positions. They were just marching in the streets chanting Jews will not replace them. I don't have a problem with boarder security or discussing immigration issues, but we need to realize when somebody is saying something racist and offensive, otherwise, the conversation gets insanely distracted.

See her father's statement. Or even check out Excon's post #2.

I think you seem like a decent person, and you have to realize these immigration debates are encouraging to white supremacists and their positions. They were just marching in the streets chanting Jews will not replace them. I don't have a problem with boarder security or discussing immigration issues, but we need to realize when somebody is saying something racist and offensive, otherwise, the conversation gets insanely distracted.

Hmm... a reference to Jews not replacing chanting 'white supremacists' is hardly what I would call related to her death at the hand of an illegal immigrant in any way.

Names are a matter of public record. They are not private things. Nobody is obligated to not cite the terrible thing that happened to mollie tibbets because her father asked that they dont. Further more her father has no idea what her opinion is on this matter since she didn't live long enough to share it.

I have no idea how many daughters you had that been murdered but I would go with the father's wish on this one out of decency.

Yes, how dare the father demand people stop using his murdered daughter as a political prop. :roll::roll::roll:

It really won't matter what Mollies family requests. You can't force people to act like decent human beings. Extreme partisans have no concern for anyone or anything but their agenda.

At this point Trump cultists really have no room to whine and cry about being called deplorable......and if you ever wonder why, all you have to do is look at this post.

Oh, and by the way.....we actually do know what her opinion was thanks to this thing called "social media".

Back
Top Bottom