• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET[W:134, 926]

Re: Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET

And this is why it is selective outrage. You only comment on the presidents campaign and not Romney's, who has lied and misled and taken out of context every chance he has gotten.

1. we are talking about the effects of Ryan on the ticket

2. Neither Romney nor his superpacs nor Republicans have accused the President explicitly or implicitly of being a felon who wants people to die.

Has there been spin in the Romney campaign? Absolutely. Like the crap that Reid, PrioritesUSA, and the President himself have put out? No.

2. Neither Romney nor his superpacs nor Republicans have accused the President explicitly or implicitly of being a felon who wants people to die.

Has there been spin in the Romney campaign? Absolutely. Like the crap that Reid, PrioritesUSA, and the President himself have put out? No.
My response to #2 is to refer you to #1.

The "spin" dial on the right is already so totally cranked to the maximum insanity level that the comparison is pretty irrelevant. 1/3 of the country thinks Obama is a Muslim for christ's sake. That same third also considers him a communist. There is no way the left could ever out insanity the right at this point.

We can only hope. However, I am not ruling out a Tea Party revolution -- they're still putting nutcases into the running and getting them elected (one in Texas recently beat the Perry-backed lieutenant governor in the Republican primary for a Senate election this fall). Never count the rabid out.
The rabid vote for rabid, the healthy can recognize it a mile away....and put it down. We are not Germany circa 1933, we have not gone over the edge.

I think you guys are over-thinking this by a long shot. Getting out the republican vote is about god and "welfare queens". Given his faith the god vote will be driven by the Obama is not a christian pitch which leaves the "welfare queens". If you think most voters are knowledgeable about the budget and taxes you are giving way too much credit to the voting public. Many of them can't understand it when the evidence is right in front of them. Ryan will be portrayed as getting rid of the "welfare queens" which has worked in the past.

I think you guys are over-thinking this by a long shot. Getting out the republican vote is about god and "welfare queens". Given his faith the god vote will be driven by the Obama is not a christian pitch which leaves the "welfare queens". If you think most voters are knowledgeable about the budget and taxes you are giving way too much credit to the voting public. Many of them can't understand it when the evidence is right in front of them. Ryan will be portrayed as getting rid of the "welfare queens" which has worked in the past.
Bloomberg’s pollers asked this question in three different ways. First, they asked whether respondents were more worried that Republicans would take Congress and “implement their proposed cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and many other domestic programs” or Democrats would hold onto power and “continue their current spending policies.” Republicans proved scarier by eight points. Then they asked about whether a proposal “to replace traditional Medicare so that individuals buy their own private insurance with the help of government subsidies” would make you better or worse off. Worse off led by 23 points. Then they asked whether knowing a Republican candidate “wants to change Medicare to a private pay system with government subsidies” would make him or her more or less attractive. Less attractive took it in a 14-point landslide. So whether you speak about the plan vaguely or specifically, whether you mention its Republican roots or not, it’s very, very unpopular.

Poll: Americans unsure about Paul Ryan but sure about his plan - The Washington Post

Goes both ways, John.

I can't wait for the Ryan vs Biden debate.

Bloomberg’s pollers asked this question in three different ways. First, they asked whether respondents were more worried that Republicans would take Congress and “implement their proposed cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and many other domestic programs” or Democrats would hold onto power and “continue their current spending policies.” Republicans proved scarier by eight points. Then they asked about whether a proposal “to replace traditional Medicare so that individuals buy their own private insurance with the help of government subsidies” would make you better or worse off. Worse off led by 23 points. Then they asked whether knowing a Republican candidate “wants to change Medicare to a private pay system with government subsidies” would make him or her more or less attractive. Less attractive took it in a 14-point landslide. So whether you speak about the plan vaguely or specifically, whether you mention its Republican roots or not, it’s very, very unpopular.

Poll: Americans unsure about Paul Ryan but sure about his plan - The Washington Post

It could backfire on him. I believe many voters see things in more simplistic terms and there's a better than even money chance he can be portrayed as getting rid of all this "out of control spending". Should be interesting to see which message catches on.

It could backfire on him. I believe many voters see things in more simplistic terms and there's a better than even money chance he can be portrayed as getting rid of all this "out of control spending". Should be interesting to see which message catches on.
Well, this is what I don't get.....I thought Romney WOULD go for the "Christian" rwer to build up his weakness, to hold Florida.....but Ryan doesn't play to that and I don't see Ryan getting the backwoods vote.

Though I will say this again, the 2 of them really have the hair in the race.....and good teeth.

I can't wait for the Ryan vs Biden debate.
Greg, you get a lot of grief over the Wildcat thing in Phx?

Goes both ways, John.

Agreed. My point was that he will be judged as good if he can get out the anti "welfare queen" vote. They don't look at things like how much did Ryan's budget cut from defense as opposed to something like social security.

Greg, you get a lot of grief over the Wildcat thing in Phx?

Nah, they know who rules the state. You can see these billboards all over the valley:

arizona-wildcats-billboard.jpg

I remember when Democrats respected Paul Ryan for his intellect and ability to offer alternatives (back when the "Party of No" meme was their attack of choice). That's before he became a serious threat of course; now he's Mr. Scary Extremist somehow.

This is a guy who won 64% of the vote in 2008... in a district that gave 51.4% of its votes to Obama. He's no Sarah Palin. He comes across as far more authentic and thoughtful than the average politician. Picking him won't backfire the way liberals in this thread seem to hope. I honestly think Romney chose him not simply for political points with conservatives (many of whom distrust Ryan for his bailout votes) but because, from what I hear, the two men get along really well and Romney has come to fully trust him.

Anyway, if it really is Ryan, here's hoping he can weather the vicious media smear campaign that's being aimed at him as I type.

Nah, they know who rules the state. You can see these billboards all over the valley:

arizona-wildcats-billboard.jpg
Oh dude, that's on the 10 west of NM....once you get north of Casa Grande, it just ain't so. I'm not a huge Devil's fan ( my folks are in Tucson now after living in Phx since the 60's), but the only thing the 'Cat's have got going is BB.......and even us Aztecs showed you how it was done last year!

Well, this is what I don't get.....I thought Romney WOULD go for the "Christian" rwer to build up his weakness, to hold Florida.....but Ryan doesn't play to that and I don't see Ryan getting the backwoods vote.

Though I will say this again, the 2 of them really have the hair in the race.....and good teeth.

It a tough call but I grew up with many people like those in the video clip. Granted that's a tiny sample size but the only thing he is known for nationally ,that I'm aware of, is cutting government programs and that could really motivate those people. I'm not saying if they really understood the budget they would be for it but I can see Limbaugh and Hannity having great one liners for him. I just don't see him being able to push the christian thing other than his long friendship with Netanyahu. The circus should be fun to watch.

Oh dude, that's on the 10 west of NM....once you get north of Casa Grande, it just ain't so. I'm not a huge Devil's fan ( my folks are in Tucson now after living in Phx since the 60's), but the only thing the 'Cat's have got going is BB.......and even us Aztecs showed you how it was done last year!

Yep, the Tecs got us last year (good squad), but we have the number 2 recruiting class coming in and Sean Miller is a witch and like Dicky V likes to say "The Cats are back on the national BB scene" baby!.

I remember when Democrats respected Paul Ryan for his intellect ....
I don't....

"It really WAS a bold move by the Romney campaign, putting their sole reliable constituency -- old white people -- in play."

Kos

Ryan can possibly be the most "out front" vp candidate, but I don't thin it will matter.

Is there going to be any live coverage of the announcement on the web?

Is there going to be any live coverage of the announcement on the web?

You mean lowering the casket of the Romney campaign into the ground?

Ryan's pick helps Romney now. Ryan's pick puts the Romney campaign into the casket and then 6 feet down come November.

Obama's campaign is going to release salvo after salvo of what's in the Ryan plan. Unlike Obamacare when it's broken down into parts which are then explained to people who end up liking it, the Ryan is an abomination in every piece.

The middle class should vote against the GOP purely on what's in the Ryan plan.

Yeah, let's create a recession, raise the deficit and debt and not even seriously try to balance the budget. The Ryan plan is nothing more then a serious case of deception meant to screw over everyone who isn't phenomenally rich. And even then it might hurt them as their investments tank as the consumer spending in the country dies via the Ryan plan.

:roll:

right, so, is anyone aware of who will be streaming the event live on the web?

:roll:

right, so, is anyone aware of who will be streaming the event live on the web?

Well, it's pretty clear you haven't bothered to read the plan much less do the math.

Ryan doesn't give a **** about balancing the budget.

Ryan doesn't balance the budget for quite some time, that is certainly true. However, there really isn't a politically plausible path to doing that. Ryan's plan is the best we have at current that remains in the realm of possibility.

Romney is boring, cautious, Mr Numbers. Anyone who thinks he made this pick without focus grouping and numbers crunching the hell out of it (and thus having a better analysis than any of us, at 0300 in the morning US time) is fooling themselves.

Back
Top Bottom