• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET[W:134, 926]

Re: Mitt Romney announcing VP selection tomorrow (Saturday), 9 ET

Chuck Todd is live on MSNBC right now reporting that it is Paul Ryan.
NBC News has confirmed.

I think people are making way too much about the timing. Let's guess it is Ryan. He has a scheduled campaign stop on the USS Wisconsin(the state Ryan is a house member from) at the time of the announcement, so they could just be trying to tie that all together. [..]
Oh my, that is interesting. Good catch.

The idea he is ducking the news cycle seems silly to me.
Your ducking of the idea that he is ducking the news cycle seems silly to me ;)

All the pundits would start talking about Ryan -- instead of Romney. All the tax return talk and all the Bain talk and all the offshore bank account talk would evaporate. Music to Mitt's ears, I'd imagine . . . . .

That will happen to an extent no matter who he picks, and will resume post convention. No candidate offers as much easy amunition as a VP pick as Ryan, but no candidate appeases the far right of the party as much as Ryan.

That will happen to an extent no matter who he picks, and will resume post convention. No candidate offers as much easy amunition as a VP pick as Ryan, but no candidate appeases the far right of the party as much as Ryan.
Sarah Palin does NOT approve of that message :shock:

Actually I think Rubio might have more Tea Party support than Ryan, but I don't think he would be chosen -- for a couple reasons.

Twitter is going nutso with the news...

Sarah Palin does NOT approve of that message :shock:

Actually I think Rubio might have more Tea Party support than Ryan, but I don't think he would be chosen -- for a couple reasons.

Rubio seems to have fallen out of favor, and I am not really sure why.

Chuck Todd is live on MSNBC right now reporting that it is Paul Ryan.
NBC News has confirmed.
Oh my :shock:

There goes granny off the cliff again :lol:

All the pundits would start talking about Ryan -- instead of Romney. All the tax return talk and all the Bain talk and all the offshore bank account talk would evaporate. Music to Mitt's ears, I'd imagine . . . . .

No, I think it has the opposite effect. Ryan's only real thing is trickle down. That's all he talks about, that's what his budget is exclusively about- driving more of the GDP into the pockets of "job creators". I think it plays right into Obama's current strategy. Up to this point we have had to rely on analyst reports that look at the few things he has been willing to say about taxes who figured out that it would mean lowering taxes on the rich and raising them on the middle class, but Romney's campaign has denied that. Ryan has never denied that. He is very open about it. That's what his budget is all about- taking money from the middle class, especially retirees, and giving it to the rich. By picking Ryan, Romney would be removing all doubt that that is the vision he is after. And that just makes his tax returns all the more relevant. He wants to lower his own super rich bracket's taxes, but he won't tell us what he pays currently because it is embarrassingly little and riddled with questionable cheats.

Last edited:

Right and the discusion will shift to ending Medicare and cutting taxes on the wealthy and making the middle class pay for them. Not to mention Ryan has never been in any Statewide race before.

No, I think it has the opposite effect. Ryan's only real thing is trickle down. That's all he talks about, that's what his budget is exclusively about- driving more of the GDP into the pockets of "job creators". I think it plays right into Obama's current strategy. Up to this point we have had to rely on analyst reports that look at the few things he has been willing to say about taxes who figured out that it would mean lowering taxes on the rich and raising them on the middle class, but Romney's campaign has denied that. Ryan has never denied that. He is very open about it. That's what his budget is all about- taking money from the middle class, especially retirees, and giving it to the rich. By picking Ryan, Romney would be removing all doubt that that is the vision he is after. And that just makes his tax returns all the more relevant. He wants to lower his own super rich bracket's taxes, but he won't tell us what he pays currently.

Ryan, and Romney, dont want to raise any taxes on anyone. Romneys plan is a 20% cut in all marginal rates. Obama is the one pushing a tax increase on ppl making $250k+.

Last edited:

Ryan, nor Romney, want to raise any taxes on anyone. Romneys plan is a 20% cut in all marginal rates. Obama is the one pushing a tax increase on ppl making $250k+.

Then Romney's numbers fail, since the only way to make it revenue nuetral as he claims is to cut deductions from the middle class with the result of raising their effective tax rate, while cutting the tax rate of the wealthy.

NBC news website has a banner claiming that Ryan is the pick according to campaign sources.Breaking News & Top Stories - World News, US & Local - NBCNews.com

4th and 20 from the Romney 40. Wow! I guess the candidate thinks he needs a game-changer: a high-risk, high-reward pick. Jack Kemp circa 2012.

I hope Paul Ryan has studied history and looked at the odds making it to POTUS as the losing VP. Its only happened once in the current election format (FDR).

Last edited:

Ryan, and Romney, dont want to raise any taxes on anyone. Romneys plan is a 20% cut in all marginal rates. Obama is the one pushing a tax increase on ppl making $250k+.
Both of their plans are unrealistic fantasies, left over voodoo laffer nonsense that got us in this mess.

This is going to be so easy.

Huffington Post claims that it's going to be Ryan.

this from the CNN poll released earlier today

While Romney's favorable rating has remained steady (47% now compared to 48% in July), his unfavorable rating has jumped from 42% last month to 48% now. The president's 56%-42% favorable-unfavorable rating now is little changed from July.

Among independents, the poll indicates Romney's image has taken a beating. In May, only 40% of independents had an unfavorable view of Romney. Now, 52% of independents have a negative view of him.

Other findings: Sixty-four percent of all Americans, and 68% of independents, think Romney favors the rich over the middle class. And 63% of the public thinks Romney should release more tax returns than he has already made public, a figure which rises to 67% among independents.

Ryan takes those negative numbers and makes them far worse.

Ryan, nor Romney, want to raise any taxes on anyone. Romneys plan is a 20% cut in all marginal rates. Obama is the one pushing a tax increase on ppl making $250k+.

No, Romney has said three things about his tax plan-

1) He will cut rates 20%
2) He will eliminate deductions
3) It will be revenue neutral

So, in order to figure out what deductions he would need to eliminate to make it revenue neutral is pretty easy. It turns out that you would need to eliminate almost all of the deductions the middle class get, which amount to more than a 20% cut in the rates.

Ryan indeed did not raise taxes on the middle class in his budget. What he did was much more serious. He proposed cutting $1.8 trillion from Medicare every decade. Given that there are around 50 million retirees relying on Medicare, that means their insurance costs will go up $3,600 per year. If a couple is currently 10 years away from retirement, that works out to them needing to save around an additional $20k - $25k a year for retirement each of those 10 years.

Romney is subtle about trickle down. Ryan is a giant ticker tape parade for trickle down and always has been.

Both of their plans are unrealistic fantasies, left over voodoo laffer nonsense that got us in this mess.

This is going to be so easy.

Well if thats what you believe great, but to spew things you have no proof of is just childish. What is Obama's tax plan?

Moderator's Warning:
I know I did it too(bad me), but let's keep deep discussion of policy elsewhere and talk about the more general aspects of the VP pick in this thread. I know all too well how quickly those discussions can derail a thread. Thank you.

This is Willard's play for the ultra conservative tea bags, the negatives far outweigh the positives.

NBC News now claiming they have 3 inside/knowledgeable sources Confirming it's Paul Ryan with the Backdrop USS Wisconsin.
(Previous credit in string Redress that backdrop)

Last edited:

No, Romney has said three things about his tax plan-

1) He will cut rates 20%
2) He will eliminate deductions
3) It will be revenue neutral

So, in order to figure out what deductions he would need to eliminate to make it revenue neutral is pretty easy. It turns out that you would need to eliminate almost all of the deductions the middle class get, which amount to more than a 20% cut in the rates.

Ryan indeed did not raise taxes on the middle class in his budget. What he did was much more serious. He proposed cutting $1.8 trillion from Medicare every decade. Given that there are around 50 million retirees relying on Medicare, that means their insurance costs will go up $3,600 per year. If a couple is currently 10 years away from retirement, that works out to them needing to save around an additional $20k - $25k a year for retirement each of those 10 years.

Romney is subtle about trickle down. Ryan is a giant ticker tape parade for trickle down and always has been.

What Ryan has stated time and time again is that he plans to stop automatic increases to Medicare spending. That is not cutting current levels.

Anyway, back on topic, I really really hope the sources saying it is Ryan is not true. Boring VP is the way to go!

Last edited:

Great news, the 2 of them are such a target rich environment when it comes to economic policy.
Perhaps, but Ryan will bring the Tea Partiers onboard with gusto... if Romney picked some milquetoast VP, the truly rabid might stay home. As it is, with someone willing to gut Medicare like Ryan, they'll be out having Glen Beck rallies, storming townhalls, and having book bonfires, all to get out the really right wing vote ;)

Keep in mind that the target right wing base voter thinks they're rich too, or will be someday (soon)... so they have no problems with tax cuts for the rich.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom