• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen pleads guilty to lying to Congress about Trump real estate project in Russia

That's a lot of hate you have there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You better friggen believe it and you would too if you could only comprehend what this person and all his co-conspirators have gotten away with and the devastating damage this has done to this country. The fact that you aren't 'a hater' only tells me you could care less about the security and preservation of our country and only care about your racial prejudices, jobs, and the wall.

It absolutely is.

Nixon offered Hunt clemency via a backchannel and it blew-up in his face.

Presidents are allowed to pardon people, but those pardons are not be used to influence the testimony of government witnesses. There's already been one House Judiciary that has deemed such conduct bribery, and the next should also, if it can be established such a thing happened.

Watergate Articles Of Impeachment
I will say, I do wonder if Giuliani did this all on his own without Trump's explicit green light. It certainly is possible. Giuliani is definitely corrupt enough and stupid enough to do it.
To the bolded: That's a great historical and contextual reference, MP! :thumbs:

The plethora of Trump-Nixom parallels are astounding!

Also one of Nixon's articles of impeachment was, "Lying to the Public". I'd do anything to go back to those days and standards. Trump would have been long-gone by now, or at the least well-reigned-in.

Only now, most of what's coming out on the news is factual, not hypothetical.

Then it would behoove you to start writing factual information instead of writing hypothetical scenarios. -------> Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
We would sure save a 'crap load' of money if Trump is found guilty of money laundering and all his assets are seized and turned over to the U.S. Treasury. (yay us)

I agree with you that if Trump is found to have conspired with Russia and knowingly accepted their help it would shake our nation deeply. However, while I fully expect this to happen, if not far worse before we are done, in the end, Trump and his Trumpkins will ultimately retreat to this position: I had to do it to stop an even great threat to America - namely Hillary Clinton.

You watch - in the end that will be the supposed justification for all the criminality, all the lying, all the attacks on basic American democratic institutions.

Flip Wilson used to get laughs with the line "the devil made me do it". Soon, it will be Trump arguing that "Hillary made me do it".

Good Gawd... I simply cannot believe the conspiracy crap some come up with on this forum.

The Trump Tower meeting happened in the signature building of the Trump empire. I opine that Trump had his own “wires tapped!”

My building would have video/audio capabilities.
That's an interesting thought.

So in essence, we need to find the Rose Mary Woods of Trump Tower? :mrgreen:

Good Gawd... I simply cannot believe the conspiracy crap some come up with on this forum.

I agree. Everyday I see the Trumpkins with their heads in sand imitating ostriches in denial of the Trump crime family crimes, I wonder if they have periodic meetings where they comfort each other to den basic reality that has been painfully obvious for two years now.

To the bolded: That's a great historical and contextual reference, MP! :thumbs:

The plethora of Trump-Nixom parallels are astounding!

Also one of Nixon's articles of impeachment was, "Lying to the Public". I'd do anything to go back to those days and standards. Trump would have been long-gone by now, or at the least well-reigned-in.
My take on the Manafort thing is this.

I don't believe the lack of a gag order was to open the door for Manafort's side to leak to the WH. My guess is that Manafort was permitted to keep his JDA with the WH, but only under the condition that confidential information the SC had obtained, remain confidential.

Somehow, either the WH and Manafort camp said something in their discussions with Mueller, which they weren't supposed to know, and would only be known to them if one party was coaching the other.

OMG!

Eddie Burke is the old "Silver Fox" Southside Canaryville boss, from the days of "Old Man Daley's" organization. I believe he is the oldest serving Alderman, literally since the sixties.

Through all the fed busts through the decades starting with the old regime, everyone in the city wondered how was it he survived and stayed out of jail as everyone around him fell. He is the Teflon Don, of Chicago Aldermen. Actually, he's one better. He's the Teflon Don on steroids, since he's never been successfully prosecuted.

It would be an absolutely acute irony, if he took a fall due to Trump. It would show once & for all, that everything Trump touches turn to crap.

Dream on.
Trumpsters will never turn on Donald.....ever.

Agreed. Far too many of the Trumpkins would be like martyrs willing die for their religion. They will never turn on him. In the end, all of Trumps crimes and actions and lies will be justified by the excuse that he had to stop Hillary Clinton from becoming president and that goal justified everything he did.

And loads and loads of Trumpkins will nod their heads and buy it.

Well, what we're seeing here is a battle between the President and his DOJ, that has not been seen since Watergate. And Watergate did indeed shake the country. If Trump or his campaign is found to have colluded with an enemy foreign power to throw the election, I submit that would shake the republic as well. Ironically, the last time we saw a President attempt to conspire with a foriegn power to throw an election was again Nixon, in the Chennault Affair. Some of the Nixon-Trump parallels are indeed astounding.

Regardless of the majority of the country not getting too excited about this as they go about their ordinary lives, these are huge concerns that must be addressed. The heart of our democracy, the electoral process, was attacked and faith in our elections and the validity of the Presidency are at stake here.

45 years ago was a different time. What was scandal then doesn't hold attention today.

Your bolded statement would be shocking, but "throwing" an election means that you can change votes, which nobody is alleging has or even can take place(besides the crazies). If that could be possible, then yes, I agree, we would have to enter a period of marshal law while the Constitution is rewritten. We probably would never re-emerge as the same place.

In all honesty, if that is what the intent or expectation of the SC is( the invalidation of an election ), then I agree, the country is over.

Dream on.
Trumpsters will never turn on Donald.....ever.

The politicians will turn first. Once the information, charges and other tidbits Muller drops, as the noose tightens, more leaks, elected R's will start to run from TDS- Trump Defecation Syndrome, which sprays everyone in reach.
And it leaves a stink that cannot be washed away.

I agree with you that if Trump is found to have conspired with Russia and knowingly accepted their help it would shake our nation deeply. However, while I fully expect this to happen, if not far worse before we are done, in the end, Trump and his Trumpkins will ultimately retreat to this position: I had to do it to stop an even great threat to America - namely Hillary Clinton.

You watch - in the end that will be the supposed justification for all the criminality, all the lying, all the attacks on basic American democratic institutions.

Flip Wilson used to get laughs with the line "the devil made me do it". Soon, it will be Trump arguing that "Hillary made me do it".
Well we got through Nixon's Watergate, and we'll get through Trump's Russian Collusion. I have faith in our Republic.

My biggest concern is, how far do Russian interests reach into the GOP? Not just with Maria Butina, but with guys like ex-congressman Rohrabacher. He seems dirty as hell too, and is under investigation himself.

Then it would behoove you to start writing factual information instead of writing hypothetical scenarios. -------> Originally Posted by HumblePi View Post
We would sure save a 'crap load' of money if Trump is found guilty of money laundering and all his assets are seized and turned over to the U.S. Treasury. (yay us)

In no way, shape or form was my comment meant to be anything other than hopeful musings of a person with intense hatred of Trump. Notice the word "IF" inserted?

But the ones you describe are a minority of the country. There are plenty of Indies that vote either way, along with Conservatives and Moderate GOP that are principled and would not put up with clear-cut collusion or criminality by the President. Many of the latter have been chased-out or ostracized from the party, and the party is consequently shrinking, but they're still some there.

To the bolded: I think you're correct here.

But I think Trump's supporters are so loyal and they are such a large part of the GOP, that finding 20 GOP senators to go against Trump will be unlikely.

My take on the Manafort thing is this.

I don't believe the lack of a gag order was to open the door for Manafort's side to leak to the WH. My guess is that Manafort was permitted to keep his JDA with the WH, but only under the condition that confidential information the SC had obtained, remain confidential.

Somehow, either the WH and Manafort camp said something in their discussions with Mueller, which they weren't supposed to know, and would only be known to them if one party was coaching the other.
No idea. You're guess is as good as mine.

So how did this real estate project go? Where is it?

It absolutely is.

Nixon offered Hunt clemency via a backchannel and it blew-up in his face.

Presidents are allowed to pardon people, but those pardons are not be used to influence the testimony of government witnesses. There's already been one House Judiciary that has deemed such conduct bribery, and the next should also, if it can be established such a thing happened.

Watergate Articles Of Impeachment
9. Endeavouring to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favoured treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony

I will say, I do wonder if Giuliani did this all on his own without Trump's explicit green light. It certainly is possible. Giuliani is definitely corrupt enough and stupid enough to do it.
No.
An article of impeachment is not law and does not create law. It is an opinion as to why they think he should be impeached.
And as this article never saw the light of day to impeach anyone, it is irrelevant.

45 years ago was a different time. What was scandal then doesn't hold attention today.

Your bolded statement would be shocking, but "throwing" an election means that you can change votes, which nobody is alleging has or even can take place(besides the crazies). If that could be possible, then yes, I agree, we would have to enter a period of marshal law while the Constitution is rewritten. We probably would never re-emerge as the same place.

In all honesty, if that is what the intent or expectation of the SC is( the invalidation of an election ), then I agree, the country is over.
Actually I hesitated when I used "throw the election", rather than "influence the election", and I'm still not sure which is appropriate.

The reason I say this, is the released emails surely - in my mind - influenced enough voters to flip those razor thin wins in the 3 Electoral College states that gave Trump the win (MI, WI, PA).

No one knew that at the time, so the proper term then would seem to be "influenced". But with the emails seemingly being one of the key components giving Trump the win, it also could be argued the emails indeed flipped the election. Of course the same could be said of Comey's statement and perhaps several other things, so I suppose "influenced" would have been my better choice.

However with all that being said, I still am holding my final opinion to be based upon Mueller's report. And I'll respect and abide by the report, whatever it shows. Hopefully, the country will peacefully move-on from there.

I think most of us are waiting for Mueller's report.
In the meantime, it is a lot of fun to speculate about the significance of every development as they occur.:)

To the bolded: I think you're correct here.

But I think Trump's supporters are so loyal and they are such a large part of the GOP, that finding 20 GOP senators to go against Trump will be unlikely.
Exactly. My thoughts exactly.

In addition, if the GOP acquiesce and accept a poor Mueller report to remove Trump, they've just committed near-term Kamikaze, in terms of the next election cycle - as was seen during Watergate.

No, in this Trumpian era it's been proven that lying and doubling down succeeds. I don't see why they'd break their pattern if it's still (relatively) working.

Now if they get spanked in the next election, they may run from Trump. But they won't until it's been proven otherwise, is my suspicion.

"I have had dealings over the years where I sold a house to a very wealthy Russian many years ago. I had the Miss Universe pageant — which I owned for quite a while — I had it in Moscow a long time ago. But other than that, I have nothing to do with Russia," Trump said.

linkypoo...

I wonder what work-around the trump sheep will bleat for this one?

*edit... NVM :lol:

Great find! Good work. Like the video pre-election that has him denying he has met Putin nine times, and boasting he knew him well...

His problem is, he has no idea what is the reality of the situation, everything is filtered through his self image of a perfect human being who is incapable of making a mistake, that he is "the greatest" even recently claiming he's the best president for blacks.

So he either sees something in total fear mode, exciting him into really caustic behavior or in total grandiose mode, that HE is the cause of all that is good. He's been a serial liar all his life, even talk he bought his college degree, and probably doesn't know where truth ends and personal fabrication begins...which would terrify him knowing that his words are going into a legal record and that he's more than likely to tell a lie in any situation, without even knowing it.

The reason it took a battery of lawyers and him months to provide written answers....there is no way he's clean in this., His every act has been that of a guilty man

Well we got through Nixon's Watergate, and we'll get through Trump's Russian Collusion. I have faith in our Republic.

My biggest concern is, how far do Russian interests reach into the GOP? Not just with Maria Butina, but with guys like ex-congressman Rohrabacher. He seems dirty as hell too, and is under investigation himself.

Dwight Eisenhower, spinning his grave, is probably generating enough raw power to light up all of Kansas.

Back
Top Bottom