• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Bennett says Las Vegas cops threatened to “blow my f—ing head off”

Top Cat

He's the most tip top
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Bennett described a chaotic scene as he was leaving the recent Mayweather-McGregor fight, when a loud sound was heard which sounded like gunshots. Bennett said he ran away from the sound for consideration of his own safety, a police officer pulled a gun on him, ordered him to the ground and threatened to shoot him if he moved. He said a second cop then came and put a knee in his back to detain him, and he was handcuffed and put in the back of a police car until they confirmed his identity.

“The Officers’ excessive use of force was unbearable,” Bennett wrote. “I felt helpless as I lay there on the ground handcuffed facing the real-life threat of being killed. All I could think of was “I’m going to die for no other reason than I am black and my skin color is somehow a threat.’ My life flashed before my eyes as I thought of my girls. Would I ever play with them again? Or watch them have kids? Or be able to kiss my wife again and tell her I love her.”

Michael Bennett says Las Vegas cops threatened to “blow my f—ing head off” – ProFootballTalk

Read the letter here

https://mobile.twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/905430701595652096/photo/1

Yeah, but I bet that officer stands and puts his hand over his heart for the national anthem, so it's all right.

The Bennett brothers are certified loons. I would take whatever they say with a giant grain of salt.

Just a Normal Day America ... trying to stay out of the Evening News.

Wow! Thats impressive. The one black guy in the crowd....

What is the police officers version of events?

Although I have not seen it, my understanding is that there is video evidence that supports his claim. TMZ supposedly has it.

This man is making an assumption that he was treated that way because he was black. More than likely he was treated that way because cops thought there was a gunshot as well and perceived him as fleeing.

More than likely? You know this how?

Michael Bennett is many things. He strikes me as sincere and passionate. Like him or not. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

The Bennett brothers are certified loons. I would take whatever they say with a giant grain of salt.

I don't agree. Michael is certainly unique. But I am not inclined to believe this is anything less than the facts as he sees them . And I believe the videos support his contentions.

Michael Bennett is many things. He strikes me as sincere and passionate. Like him or not. I give him the benefit of the doubt.

"More than likely" because I can't know the workings of others' minds. And no matter how sincere and passionate Bennett is? He can't know that either.

I find it very difficult that the cops saw a black man running from what they probably thought were gunshots as well and said, "Let's go get that guy. He's black."

In situations such as this, I give no one the benefit of the doubt. And I'm seldom proved wrong. Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle.

"More than likely" because I can't know the workings of others' minds. And no matter how sincere and passionate Bennett is? He can't know that either.

I find it very difficult that the cops saw a black man running from what they probably thought were gunshots as well and said, "Let's go get that guy. He's black."

You find that hard to believe? Why?

Because I don't automatically assume every cop is prejudiced. Because I didn't see it. Because I have no idea if he was the only black man in sight. And because I've heard so many blacks play the prejudice card with cops that I'm inclined to look at total circumstances. And I don't KNOW the total circumstances. You?

Or more likely

"Lets stop that guy, as he might be involved" The reason thinking he was involved was due to his being black.

So they probably stopped him because they thought he was involved, and I am guessing their was a crowd of people in the area all trying to flee if a gunshot was heard, any one of which may have been involved, but the police decided to believe that a black man was probably involved. Only one the reason being his was a younger black man

Because I don't automatically assume every cop is prejudiced. Because I didn't see it. Because I have no idea if he was the only black man in sight. And because I've heard so many blacks play the prejudice card with cops that I'm inclined to look at total circumstances. And I don't KNOW the total circumstances. You?

No I don't know. But I also don't know what it's like to be arrested for running while black. He did nothing wrong. The cops didn't answer him when he asked why.

Or more likely

"Lets stop that guy, as he might be involved" The reason thinking he was involved was due to his being black.

So they probably stopped him because they thought he was involved, and I am guessing their was a crowd of people in the area all trying to flee if a gunshot was heard, any one of which may have been involved, but the police decided to believe that a black man was probably involved. Only one the reason being his was a younger black man

Exactly.

Here's one video

So basically, if you're black and someone else starts shooting off a gun, do not run for your life. It confuses the police, their initial instincts are to hone in on the black guy running as the likely suspect. Which isn't racist, because only stupid people think cops are prejudice. So black people do your part, if someone starts firing in a large crowd calmly lay down face first on the ground and put your hands on the back of your head. This way the police can quickly apprehend you, and waste less time identifying the actual shooter.

And don't worry if you're laying on the ground with your hands on your head, they probably won't beat the **** out of you and then charge you with resisting. No promises though.

Back
Top Bottom