• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell to delay the vote on health care bill until after July 4 recess

Probably a dozen Senators or more told McConnell they would vote no if he forced a premature vote. What this does is force Senators to go home for the July 4 congressional recess and face constituent questions and undoubtedly protests also. This pause will also give analysts and the media the time needed to digest the GOP bill, flesh out more statistics and ask more pointed questions. This is precisely the scenario that McConnell desperately sought to avoid, hence all the super-secrecy and haste to bring a vote to the Senate floor. If changes are made to the existing bill (and this is a certainty), a new CBO score will be required. By 2026 under this Senate bill and among people under age 65, 49 million more Americans will be uninsured, compared with 28 million who would lack insurance that year under current law (ACA/Obamacare)

CBO/JCT | H.R. 1628, Better Care Reconciliation Act of 2017

I'm guessing your life was already destroyed before this potential bill.

If you want to blame someone, blame Barack Obama. Obama was arrogant, assuming he would pass a universal health care plan unanimously. He even had the gall to say if you like your healthcare plan you can keep it.

Obamacare may have saved my life. I used to weigh 260 and was gaining because I couldn't really... walk. I could stand. I'll leave it at that. Anyway, now I weigh 160 and have pain management therapy which is through an amazing neuroscience center. My story has been posted enough.

I hated my healthcare plan so I didn't keep it, but I kept all my doctors until I found the current, better ones. I didn't lose any doctors. So blame Obama for... oh, for something about you? That's fine. Was your life becoming empty, meaningless and headed toward you dying young too? Or is this more of a "I'm a Republican" thing?

DDVu4cuW0AAuZuH.jpg

That's a great point. Maybe if the Republicans hadn't concocted this whole thing in secret, they might have had more leverage to convince the public that it was a decent bill.

People can say whatever they want to about Obamacare, but at least there were multiple open hearings and meetings prior to passage.

Danarhea, who actually likes paying taxes?

Create a fair flat tax. People making higher income shouldn't be severely penalized for being successful.

People shouldn't be rewarded for being born in the United States. Bill Gates wouldn't be a billionaire if he was born in Somalia. He was born here, so he had the education, infrastructure, defense, as well as state and federal programs he could utilize to get to where he got. If we allow billionaires to pay less in taxes than a middle class family (like that guy who's President, Donald Trump) is that fair? Is them paying the same amount fair? Or is paying what you can, within reason, to give the next Bill Gates the chance to make this country continue to flourish fair?

If billionaires or millionaires start losing their homes due to income taxes I'll be happy to rethink my position.

The Senate bill is also opposed by:

The National Governors Association
The American Medical Association (AMA)
The American Cancer Society
The National Association of Medicaid Directors
The American Academy of Family Physicians
The American Academy of Pediatrics
The American Hospital Association
The Federation of American Hospitals
The Children’s Hospital Association
America’s Essential Hospitals
American Surgeons Association
The Catholic Health Association of the United States
The American Cancer Society Action Network
The American Lung Association
AARP

CBS News ✔
@CBSNews
GOP congressman: “Nobody dies because they don’t have access to health care"
4:18 PM - 6 May 2017

That GOP Congressman is Idaho Republican Rep. Raul Labrador. Contrary to what this dufus believes, for every 1 million people who lose health insurance, about 1,300 people nationwide could die early, according to an Annals of Internal Medicine review. With a CBO score of 22 million more uninsured under the GOP Senate healthcare bill than would be the case under Obamacare, about 28,600 more people could die every year in the US if a proposed Senate health care bill becomes law suggests a review of medical studies released on Monday.

I don't think the Senate puts the AHCA to a vote before their next recess. Even among the GOPs, this bill generates too much disagreement.

Greenbeard posted a poll on Sunday 6/18 asking if the Senate would vote for their version of Obamacare Replacement, their BCRA of 2017, before the July 4th Recess.

Votes as follows: 5 YES/PASS; 4 YES/FAIL; 4 DELAY (this included my vote).

My version of what happened - too many GOP Senators did not want to face the anger of those who viewed the Bill as Wealthcare not Healthcare. No amount of spin, no amount of Blah Blah, could change the CBO Score.

Schumer stated four conditions for Bipartisan Senate support: 1. Fix ObamaCare, don't replace it. 2. Do not rollback the Medicaid Coverage provisions of ObamaCare. 3. Do not include Tax Breaks for the Wealthy. 4. Seek a 60 vote Bipartisan Mandate.

Count me among those who consider Healthcare as part of our Common Welfare. May those tasked with creating Healthcare Legislation never lose sight of the goal to provide high quality Healthcare for the greatest number of people.

As a nation, we are yearning for tax cuts.

The nation is yearning for tax cuts? You're doing the bidding of the ultra-rich if you think we're hurting for tax cuts.
80% of the population pays an effective tax rate of 15.6%. WHAT ARE YOU YEARNING FOR EXACTLY?!?
mcbride20110824.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_tax_in_the_United_States
Total Effective Federal Tax rates:

Lowest 20%:..1.5%
Second:.........7.2%
Third:......... 11.5%
Fourth:....... 15.6%

Fifth/highest: 24%

Top 1%: 29.4%

Mitch McConnell to delay the vote until after recess - CNNPolitics.com

:applaud

Looks like just enough GOP Senators decided to stare down the fact that Trumpcare would have thrown over 20 million Americans off of insurance coverage!

This is why I don't understand why the the left is having such a cow over this healthcare stuff. They're just doing it for political reasons only because this thing isn't even going to pass the Senate. It doesn't have the votes now and if they change it one way or another it will alienate votes from each opposing side. Then, if a miracle should happen and it passes the Senate, it is highly unlikely to pass the House. But, clapping to save Obamacare is misguided. The only thing that can actually save us is if the Democrats agree that Obamacare needs to be repealed and then we can come up with a bipartisan plan which would be way better than Obamacare. As long as both sides say it has to be their way or the highway we are stuck with a healthcare system that is crumbling fast.

As a nation, we are yearning for tax cuts. This is an unfortunate setback however I am optimistic this bill will get passed. Mitch mcConnell is the sheriff and will round up the votes!

Tax cuts are needed. Not only will they improve healthcare, but our overall economy.

A shame you don't see 1 Democrat Senator lending a helping hand to Trump or McConnell. Their true colors have been revealed. Democrats don't want to see improved health care. All they want to do is complain.

Wow....how is the "nation yearing for tax cuts?" Please provide 3rd party evidence of this statement.

How do tax cuts improve healthcare?

Don't bore us with your faux outrage of Democrats not being willing to help. You are either being disingenuous or extremely ignorant.... the only thing that Republicans want to accomplish here is to dismantle a Obamacare because that is what they promised. This is not only "not a healthcare bill", its is an excuse to free up money to create tax cuts. Expecting Democrats to participate in such is like asking a conquered town to burn itself. If the Republicans really wanted to fix healthcare and have the Dems help, they would start with trying to shore up the PPACA, not destroy it.

why are the Grumpy Old Phucks afraid of putting their health death bill to a vote?

this is the second time ................... number two .............. smelly ...........

I make less than $10,000 dollars a year before taxes.

Then you're a "poor person freeloading off the middle class" Seriously, that is the one thing that makes me ashamed to be an American. This sociopathic "I got mine, **** the disenfranchised and those that need help"

Mitch McConnell to delay the vote until after recess - CNNPolitics.com

:applaud

Looks like just enough GOP Senators decided to stare down the fact that Trumpcare would have thrown over 20 million Americans off of insurance coverage!
I am glad they're delaying it, but I won't be happy unless they spend at least 3 months on this thing. It needs careful thought and discussion, both in the Senate and among the voters.

And frankly, I worry that this short delay could simply be an attempt to make us forget about it and slack off the voter opinion contacts (email, phone, etc) long enough that the big donors can throw enough influence at them to get the thing passed when it does come up for vote.

OR something. I don't trust these mfers as far as I can throw them, and given my current state of fitness that's about 5 feet at most. If they're not resisting.

This isn't about middle class Americans. It's about people, like yourself, making over 200,000/yr, and who will get a tax cut that will amount to nearly 4 trillion dollars by 2036. So the question is this: Why do you need more than the $200,000 you're already making so that other people don't have access to medicaid?
Because the poor, disabled and elderly should man up, grow a pair and stop crying..

Anyone who considers this to be a long term victory needs to go outside and experience a real, tangible short term enjoyment, like a nice hike, boat ride or a date with the wife/husband. Or just rent some bad movies and get drunk by yourself. Whatever. Point is, just about anything is more tangible than this "victory."

Then the follow up is to make sure this bill goes down to defeat.

Meanwhile the 19th ACA coop just failed. Great program. Just great.

LOL Cardinal. You assume people in poverty have it bad. They get free housing, They get food stamps. They don't pay taxes. They get discounted health care.

IMO that is discriminatory. People need to be less selfish and understand some people don’t like to take responsibility for their own ****.
Well of course people tiny amounts or no money get support, they can't afford their basic sustenance needs without it. Sometimes not even with it.

And with monetary gates on every way out...

McConnell is in a pickle. Make it meaner and enough moderate Republicans will block it. Make it less mean and enough far right Republicans will block it. This bill is dead.

Better be safe and keep calling senators to make more no votes

This is why I don't understand why the the left is having such a cow over this healthcare stuff. They're just doing it for political reasons only because this thing isn't even going to pass the Senate. It doesn't have the votes now and if they change it one way or another it will alienate votes from each opposing side. Then, if a miracle should happen and it passes the Senate, it is highly unlikely to pass the House. But, clapping to save Obamacare is misguided. The only thing that can actually save us is if the Democrats agree that Obamacare needs to be repealed and then we can come up with a bipartisan plan which would be way better than Obamacare. As long as both sides say it has to be their way or the highway we are stuck with a healthcare system that is crumbling fast.

You expect Democrats to sabotage a program that keeps tens of millions of Americans insured? Not going to happen. If you guys finally do torpedo that coverage, it will be on you and you alone.

You expect Democrats to sabotage a program that keeps tens of millions of Americans insured? Not going to happen. If you guys finally do torpedo that coverage, it will be on you and you alone.
I'd personally support repealing Obamacare if and only if there were a replacement already spun up and ready to take over.

The current bill is NOT an acceptable replacement.

Tax cuts my friend will improve health care.

Here is what people on the left are missing.

Instead of spending resources on treating pepole, why isn't all our resources going on finding cures for Cancer, Aids, alzheimer, etc?

Food for thought.

Healthcare will be so expensive people won't have any money left for food.

Then you're a "poor person freeloading off the middle class" Seriously, that is the one thing that makes me ashamed to be an American. This sociopathic "I got mine, **** the disenfranchised and those that need help"

Right. I get 25ish hours a week and I make a low wage. But, I'm in school. So, I'm trying to apply myself. But, there are some coworkers of mine who will be slaving at restaurants as a cook for the rest of their lives. They make a living as honest as anyone else and deserve a decent life too.

Back
Top Bottom