• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

McConnell should not take the oath

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Impeachment Trials and the Senator’s Oath of Impartial Justice | Take Care
For McConnell will certainly violate that oath by the way he is handling the trial against Trump in the Senate. He will work with the defendant, Trump, to see that there is a little hurt to Trump's chances of re-election as possible and has stated that the outcome is already predetermined. All of which violates the oath he will take as a juror in the trial. Of course, we have seen that McConnell has never even taken his oath of office seriously, so I guess that violating this oath means even less to him. I wonder if he has gone to one knee and taken a solemn oath to subjugate himself to the will of Trump as it seems he must have done. Perhaps that is the oath he is really willing to obey?

For McConnell will certainly violate that oath by the way he is handling the trial against Trump in the Senate. He will work with the defendant, Trump, to see that there is a little hurt to Trump's chances of re-election as possible and has stated that the outcome is already predetermined. All of which violates the oath he will take as a juror in the trial. Of course, we have seen that McConnell has never even taken his oath of office seriously, so I guess that violating this oath means even less to him. I wonder if he has gone to one knee and taken a solemn oath to subjugate himself to the will of Trump as it seems he must have done. Perhaps that is the oath he is really willing to obey?

It will be to his benefit to rush through the Senate trial. Dragging it out would be undesirable because there's a chance that John Bolton might speak or Rudy Giuliani may be indicted and start spilling the beans.

I don;t think they care about their oaths"? Party uber alles.

First of all, y’all just want a easy walk to the end and I honestly hope that we impeach 46 the day after

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The impeachment is 100% partisan at this point. Zero republicans have signed on.

So why shouldn't he act partisan? Everyone else is.

Yet, on Friday the 13th, the House Dems in the Judiciary Committee are voting to move forward with their coup.

The impeachment is 100% partisan at this point. Zero republicans have signed on.

Impeachment Is Partisan Because the GOP Changed Its Mind

When the Ukraine scandal burst into the news, a widespread consensus agreed that the allegations were deeply improper, and quite likely impeachable. “I think it would be wildly inappropriate for an American president to invite a foreign country’s leader to get engaged in an American presidential election. That strikes me as entirely inappropriate,” pronounced Republican Senator Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania. “If there is evidence of a quid pro quo, many think the dam will start to break on our side,” one Republican told the Washington Examiner in September. “Maybe if he withheld aid and there was a direct quid pro quo,” add another. Even a sycophant like Lindsey Graham conceded at the time that he might support impeachment “if you could show me that, you know, Trump actually was engaging in a quid pro quo, outside the phone call, that would be very disturbing.”

The primary effect of the proliferation of evidence upon the Republicans has been to persuade them to change their standards as to what is acceptable presidential conduct. Oklahoma representative Tom Cole said in September that the whistle-blower complaint is “a serious matter, and I will continue to thoughtfully consider information as it becomes available.” But Cole quickly decided that he was tired of considering information thoughtfully. “It doesn’t matter much anymore,” he said last month.

Yet, on Friday the 13th, the House Dems in the Judiciary Committee are voting to move forward with their coup.

Impeachment is no more a coup than is the electoral college. In other words, neither are. What the Constitution gives, the Constitution can take away.

Isn’t there something criminal about swearing an oath of impartiality, that he will have to do prior to the senate hearings, when he has already declared he knows exactly how he will vote before the hearing has even begun?

It sounds to me like McConnell and Nunes are going to be keeping Trump company in jail eventually. It even looks like Pence may join them. That way Cohen, Manafort, Flynn, etc... will not be feeling so lonely there anymore. It’ll be a party!

Way to drain the swamp, guys!

Last edited:

A constitutional process is not a coup.

This is the language of authoritarianism.

First of all, y’all just want a easy walk to the end and I honestly hope that we impeach 46 the day after

Because you're projecting. You have no idea what morals or the rule of law are, so to you, they're just words to seize power, because that's all it would be to you, which is what you want to do to the next president in revenge.

Impeachment is no more a coup than is the electoral college. In other words, neither are. What the Constitution gives, the Constitution can take away.

At no time in the history of the United States, has a single political party moved to negate the will of 63 million citizens, and unilaterally remove the President of the United States.

Don't like the word "coup", to bad.

You misunderstand that 0% Republicans can mean partisan Republicans, not partisan Democrats.

And it does.

To be fair, an abuse of the impeachment power to remove a president without legitimate grounds could be called a "coup" - like what the Republicans tried to do to Bill Clinton. But the current impeachment is not that, and it's not even remotely a coup.

At no time in the history of the United States, has a single political party moved to negate the will of 63 million citizens, and unilaterally remove the President of the United States.

Having a sitting president is going to necessarily mean that lots of people voted for him. However, note that the constitution does not say that should be no reason to impeach. It was one of their safeguards against mob rule.

If you want to get rid of that, be ready for the next populist Democrat president to do whatever illegal thing he wants too, with you having no recourse. We will just say millions of people voted for him, and it shouldn’t matter. Right?

To be fair, an abuse of the impeachment power to remove a president without legitimate grounds could be called a "coup" - like what the Republicans tried to do to Bill Clinton. But the current impeachment is not that, and it's not even remotely a coup.

Indeed. What I am saying though is that based on their logic, one could call the electoral college a coup because the president who was chosen does not reflect the will of the people. And he is being impeached by legislators who do reflect the will of the people.

Having a sitting president is going to necessarily mean that lots of people voted for him. However, note that the constitution does not say that should be no reason to impeach. It was one of their safeguards against mob rule.

If you want to get rid of that, be ready for the next populist Democrat president to do whatever illegal thing he wants too, with you having no recourse. We will just say millions of people voted for him, and it shouldn’t matter. Right?

What a remarkably weak argument.

Impeachment is a serious process, with monumental impact.

Using that power unilaterally, as the Dems have, via the laughable evidence they have fabricated, is an affront to all citizens.

While the majority in control of the House has every right to proceed as they have, that right doesn't insulate them from the scorn that the present, and history, will assign to them.

Pandora will get her revenge, and Friday the 13th will take on new meaning for Democrats for a very long time to come.

What about the will of 65 million people? I don't think you want to play that game.

As I pointed out earlier, the Republicans changing their mind about the president committing a quid pro quo made it partisan.

Because you're projecting. You have no idea what morals or the rule of law are, so to you, they're just words to seize power, because that's all it would be to you, which is what you want to do to the next president in revenge.

look in the mirror.....this is revenge for Clinton impeachment

The fact that zero republicans have signed on is also partisan......

Indeed. What I am saying though is that based on their logic, one could call the electoral college a coup because the president who was chosen does not reflect the will of the people. And he is being impeached by legislators who do reflect the will of the people.

I understand your argument; but I think the word coup more closely fits the abuse of impeachment than the electoral college, which has different motives, and is not aimed at a particular presidential candidate. I think a phrase like 'systemic violation of democracy' is more accurate than 'coup' for the electoral system.

Republicans' argument is, "if you just ignore trump's crimes, then impeaching him is a coup." Their argument is, "impeaching a president of OUR party for crimes, is wrong - presidents of OUR party should be above the law and free to break it." trump's argument is, as president he can do anything he wants. His party agrees that HE can, but not a Democrat.

What a remarkably weak argument.

Impeachment is a serious process, with monumental impact.

Using that power unilaterally, as the Dems have, via the laughable evidence they have fabricated, is an affront to all citizens.

While the majority in control of the House has every right to proceed as they have, that right doesn't insulate them from the scorn that the present, and history, will assign to them.

Pandora will get her revenge, and Friday the 13th will take on new meaning for Democrats for a very long time to come.

As pointed out earlier, many Republicans claimed that what Trump was accused of doing was very serious and could cause Republicans to support impeachment, so there was bi-partisanship. Once it was shown that he did what he was accused of saying, Republicans changed their minds, and now want to complain that its partisan

Their action may be described as corruption.

Last edited:
What about the will of 65 million people? I don't think you want to play that game.

As I pointed out earlier, the Republicans changing their mind about the president committing a quid pro quo made it partisan.

What about it?

Who is President? I'll play whatever game you think you can play.

Nobody changed their mind.

You can make up any facts you want, but don't expect people to accept them.

Back
Top Bottom