• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who called police on black woman at North Carolina pool no longer has job

Wrong as usual.

I am repeating things here because it proves your assertions wrong. Yet you continue to make absurdly wrong arguments.

Her having a valid key card is irrelevant. It does not mean she is a resident. Do you really not understand that?
Her giving a false address is suspicious and a valid reason to inquire. Do you really not understand this too?
Nothing you said refutes this, nor could it.
It is his job. What did you not understand about that also? Huh?

That is part an parcel of his job. Period. Given the known information, asking was clearly appropriate.

The main question is

What drove him to check to see if she lived in the community?

How often does he check ID?

The main question is

What drove him to check to see if she lived in the community?

How often does he check ID?
As reported.

Bloom's attorney, John Vermitsky, said the video doesn't capture the entire incident. Another board member first asked Abhulimen her address because she didn't recognize her. Abhulimen, however, gave an address on a street where homes weren't yet built, confusing the board member, Vermitsky said.

The member then asked Bloom to verify Abhulimen' address, and when she gave what appeared to be a different one, Bloom said he thought "there's something a little askew" and asked for her ID. (It was later determined that Abhulimen does reside at that address.)

The questioning eventually led Abhulimen to call what was happening racial profiling, and Bloom decided to dial police to allow a "neutral third party" to resolve the situation.

I doubt how often he requested ID is relevant, as it is reported that he has removed several others in the past.

Bloom's job as pool chair included removing people from the pool who were not authorized to be there. He did so several times a year, and people who have been removed include a variety of ages and races, Vermitsky told the paper.

Including your neighbors?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Close neighbors are OK, those who I don't interface more than with once a month not so good.

Why does he not have the right? Do you think that the property manager can't make sure that only permitted guests can use the pool?

His duty is to uphold the rules as posted by the homeowners association, demanding ID's is not on there. Even called the police the homeowners association clearly disagreed with. He went outside of his "jurisdiction" so to speak and now has taken the decision to remove himself from his duties.

He had every right to check. Again, this escalated because she made a scene and refused to procure additional identification.

Again, one did not have to provide ID's to use the pool, just be a homeowner/resident there and she had the correct card with her to gain entry to that pool and he did not have a right to ask to provide her ID.

Wrong as usual.

I am repeating things here because it proves your assertions wrong. Yet you continue to make absurdly wrong arguments.

Her having a valid key card is irrelevant. It does not mean she is a resident. Do you really not understand that?
Her giving a false address is suspicious and a valid reason to inquire. Do you really not understand this too?
Nothing you said refutes this, nor could it.
It is his job. What did you not understand about that also? Huh?

That is part an parcel of his job. Period. Given the known information, asking was clearly appropriate.

Don't you ever get tired of being on the wrong side of issues?

You are repeating yourself because you have no basis for your claims. You are wrong about what his duties where and what her duties as a homeowner with access to that pool was. Now if the homeowners association was tardy with the sign in sheet, that is not the fault of this lady or the pool manager.

But she was a resident, the police was satisfied and that is it. The media even reported specifically that she was a resident and her address was correct.

She did not give a false address because her address has been verified as being correct. Misunderstandings happen when a wannabe pool police person is relaying information that may or may not have been correctly understood.

Nothing you have said is in accordance with the facts.

And his job is to uphold the rules of the pool (which boundaries he overstepped) and manage the running of the pool. And no, when you do something you are not legally allowed to do (ask for a private citizen to provide her ID) then clearly what he did was not appropriate, especially not in the eyes of the homeowners association who's pool it was.

As reported.

Bloom's attorney, John Vermitsky, said the video doesn't capture the entire incident. Another board member first asked Abhulimen her address because she didn't recognize her. Abhulimen, however, gave an address on a street where homes weren't yet built, confusing the board member, Vermitsky said.

The member then asked Bloom to verify Abhulimen' address, and when she gave what appeared to be a different one, Bloom said he thought "there's something a little askew" and asked for her ID. (It was later determined that Abhulimen does reside at that address.)

The questioning eventually led Abhulimen to call what was happening racial profiling, and Bloom decided to dial police to allow a "neutral third party" to resolve the situation.

I doubt how often he requested ID is relevant, as it is reported that he has removed several others in the past.

Bloom's job as pool chair included removing people from the pool who were not authorized to be there. He did so several times a year, and people who have been removed include a variety of ages and races, Vermitsky told the paper.

Except she was authorized, she had the valid card and stated she lived in that street. Which she did as has been since confirmed. He overstepped his position according to those people who appointed him to that position.

Don't you ever get tired of being on the wrong side of issues?
iLOL :lamo
Says you, the one who is always on the wrong side of the issue.

You are repeating yourself because you have no basis for your claims.
Wrong as usual.

You are wrong about what his duties where and what her duties as a homeowner with access to that pool was.
Wrong.
All you are doing here is showing (as previously stated) that you know nothing of private pool operation over here. The home owner agrees in writing to (contractual) policies and rules governing the use of the pool. Period. Those policies and rules do not have to be posted.
Again; You know not of what you speak.

Now if the homeowners association was tardy with the sign in sheet, that is not the fault of this lady or the pool manager.
Figures.
Just another irrelevant argument to what occurred. A sign-in sheet would not be verification that she was allowed to use the pool.

But she was a resident,
Irrelevant to the circumstances that she created by given a false address.

the police was satisfied and that is it.
iLOL No.
He allowed that to be it. He didn't have to allow her in simply because she had an access card. He could have demanded ID to verify she was a resident to allow access. And the Police would have had to follow any decision he made.

The media even reported specifically that she was a resident and her address was correct.
iLOL What was ascertained after the fact is irrelevant to the circumstances at the time of the event.
That you do not understand that is a severe lack of logic problem.

She did not give a false address because her address has been verified as being correct.
Now you are just lying.
When she was initially questioned she gave a false address. That was reported.
That she gave a different address when questioned again (regardless of it's accuracy) of course causes confusion. Duh! It is also an indication that the person may be lying.

Misunderstandings happen when a wannabe pool police person is relaying information that may or may not have been correctly understood.
Wannabe? iLOL So because you have no valid argument you now choose to engage in exaggeration. Figures. As reported it was his job. What did you not understand about that?

Nothing you have said is in accordance with the facts.
Wrong as usual.
Gawd, the crap you spew is pathetic. I have been giving you facts as reported, and of course to you, that somehow makes me wrong. Doh!
You are engaged in delusional thinking here.

And his job is to uphold the rules of the pool (which boundaries he overstepped) and manage the running of the pool. And no, when you do something you are not legally allowed to do (ask for a private citizen to provide her ID) then clearly what he did was not appropriate, especially not in the eyes of the homeowners association who's pool it was.
You do not know of what you speak.
Asking for identification was part of his job. It is how you ensure compliance with the rules.
How the **** can you not understand that?

The HOA did not speak to his asking for identification, they spoke to the escalation of calling the police.
And frankly given the fact that she escalated it into a "scene", calling the police as a neutral authority was a prudent thing to do.

Except she was authorized, she had the valid card and stated she lived in that street. Which she did as has been since confirmed.
Stop with the irrelevant arguments.
What was ascertained after the event, is irrelevant to the event as it occurred. As reported, she gave a false address which is an indication of that the person is possibly lying. That is a valid reason to make further inquiry.
And as you were already informed, having a card that could have been given to her by someone else does not mean she is allowed access. Pointing to the fact that she had an access card is irrelevant no matter how many time you state it. Simply having a valid access card does not mean you are a resident or resident's guest entitled to use the pool. How you fail to understand that is beyond me.

He overstepped his position according to those people who appointed him to that position.
A stupid reply. At no point did he over step his authority. The woman falsely made it a racial issue is why it turned out as it did.
Had this been a White person complaining the HOA would likely just supported what he did.

Wrong as usual.

Wrong.
All you are doing here is showing (as previously stated) that you know nothing of private pool operation over here. The home owner agrees in writing to (contractual) policies and rules governing the use of the pool. Period. Those policies and rules do not have to be posted.

Figures.
Just another irrelevant argument to what occurred. A sign-in sheet would not be verification that she was allowed to use the pool.

iLOL No.
He allowed that to be it. He didn't have to allow her in simply because she had an access card. He could have demanded ID to verify she was a resident to allow access. And the Police would have had to follow any decision he made.

iLOL What was ascertained after the fact is irrelevant to the circumstances at the time of the event.

Now you are just lying.
That she gave a different address when questioned again (regardless of it's accuracy) of course causes confusion. Duh! It is also an indication that the person may be lying.

Wannabe? iLOL So because you have no valid argument you now choose to engage in exaggeration. Figures. As reported it was his job. What did you not understand about that?

Wrong as usual.
Gawd, the crap you spew is pathetic. I have been giving you facts as reported, and of course to you, that somehow makes me wrong. Doh!

Asking for identification was part of his job. It is how you ensure compliance with the rules.

The HOA did not speak to his asking for identification, they spoke to the escalation of calling the police.
And frankly given the fact that she escalated it into a "scene", calling the police as a neutral authority was a prudent thing to do.

What was ascertained after the event, is irrelevant to the event as it occurred. As reported, she gave a false address which is an indication of that the person is possibly lying. That is a valid reason to make further inquiry.
And as you were already informed, having a card that could have been given to her by someone else does not mean she is allowed access. Pointing to the fact that she had an access card is irrelevant no matter how many time you state it. Simply having a valid access card does not mean you are a resident or resident's guest entitled to use the pool. How you fail to understand that is beyond me.

A stupid reply. At no point did he over step his authority. The woman falsely made it a racial issue is why it turned out as it did.
Had this been a White person complaining the HOA would likely just supported what he did.
then put up or shut up: offer us an instance where such a scenario happened to a white woman at the pool; a situation where the police were called on a white woman being denied access to this private pool for which she was eligible to enter

i look forward to reading your example

No, it is just a fact, you keep trying to claim things that fly right in the face of truth and reality. This case is no different.

Wrong as usual.

:lamo Nope.

Wrong.

Well, I posted the shield at the pool with the rules. And again, she had a valid card and he had no right to ask for her ID, the police sided with her, not him.

Figures.

Don't you ever get tired of not making sense? The sign in sheet was mentioned on the rules posted on the pool. Who knows, the sign in sheet pool could very well mean she would have to write down her address, fact is that the homeowners made public that they would reinstate that sign in sheet to prevent further issues.

Prove that. She lived where she said she lived as was ascertained.

iLOL No.

He had no leg to stand on, he did not have a legal right to demand an ID.

Sure. because you always now best :lamo :lamo :lamo

Now you are just lying.

Were you there? Me neither, she gave an address and it was verified as her actual address, that is the only fact that matters.

Fact, she was a resident, she had her card, all the rest is nonsense.

Wrong as usual.

No, you are giving me the opinions of a man who has resigned and who was afterwards rebuked by his homeowners association for having done the wrong thing.

No, he could ask whatever he wanted, there is no reason whatsoever that this woman had to comply with his questions, how difficult is that to understand that she was in compliance and the pool manager was not?

And he called the police because he was on a power trip and he failed.

I will not stop making relevant arguments, just because you have no leg to stand on with your views is not my problem.

Except that is not the view of the people who ran the pool.

then put up or shut up: offer us an instance where such a scenario happened to a white woman at the pool; a situation where the police were called on a white woman being denied access to this private pool for which she was eligible to enter

i look forward to reading your example

That is never gong to happen. It would never make the news. Just like the Asian kid having the police called in my neighborhood didn't make the news. He didn't have the privilege of being black so that the community would care and it would make headlines.

In seven years as chairman of the pool, Bloom occasionally has had to ask people of all ages and races to leave for violating rules, according to the statement.

Or do you really think white women have never been asked to leave a pool?

That is never gong to happen. It would never make the news. Just like the Asian kid having the police called in my neighborhood didn't make the news. He didn't have the privilege of being black so that the community would care and it would make headlines.

Or do you really think white women have never been asked to leave a pool?

i really think no cop was ever called to prevent a white woman from entering the pool
the black resident was treated in a disparate manner when compared to white residents

i really think no cop was ever called to prevent a white woman from entering the pool
the black resident was treated in a disparate manner when compared to white residents

you are just silly. The attorney says the client has removed people of all ages and races from the pool in the past 7 years (at least 4 times per year, I believe). Apparently, you think only black people have cops called on them. White people never have cops called and are never asked to leave a pool :roll:

This is part of the problem with the media coverage of these instances. They only become stories if black people are the "victim". Creating this perception that similar things never happen to other people.

I, a white male, have been asked to show ID at my parent's community pool. I showed my ID, and didn't think twice about it. Guess what? It didn't make the news.Had I not shown my ID.. I would have been asked to leave. If I refused, what do you think would have happened?

I've given an example before, of a time a store worker called the cops on me and a friend, because we were waiting for his parents while a snow storm raged outside. That didn't make the news either. Cops made us leave.

you are just silly. The attorney says the client has removed people of all ages and races from the pool in the past 7 years (at least 4 times per year, I believe). Apparently, you think only black people have cops called on them. White people never have cops called and are never asked to leave a pool :roll:

This is part of the problem with the media coverage of these instances. They only become stories if black people are the "victim". Creating this perception that similar things never happen to other people.

I, a white male, have been asked to show ID at my parent's community pool. I showed my ID, and didn't think twice about it. Guess what? It didn't make the news.Had I not shown my ID.. I would have been asked to leave. If I refused, what do you think would have happened?

I've given an example before, of a time a store worker called the cops on me and a friend, because we were waiting for his parents while a snow storm raged outside. That didn't make the news either. Cops made us leave.

there is no indication that a cop was ever called to address whether a white woman was eligible to enter that pool
which causes this to exemplify disparate behavior against the interest of a minority member

there is no indication that a cop was ever called to address whether a white woman was eligible to enter that pool
which causes this to exemplify disparate behavior against the interest of a minority member

How do you know a cop was never called to that address? If an individual of a different race was asked for ID.. Did they just provide ID or did they just leave, meaning no call to the police was even needed? You have no idea and are just making assumptions due to lack of news articles about non-blacks..

How do you know a cop was never called to that address? If an individual of a different race was asked for ID.. Did they just provide ID or did they just leave, meaning no call to the police was even needed? You have no idea and are just making assumptions due to lack of news articles about non-blacks..

show that a white resident was ever treated like this black resident and i will withdraw my assertion of disparate treatment

show that a white resident was ever treated like this black resident and i will withdraw my assertion of disparate treatment

Lack of news coverage, doesn't mean lack of occurrence. We do know that the same guy has asked other non-blacks to leave the pool.

But, I just indicated that I was asked to show my ID at my parent's community pool. I was there for Thanksgiving, just 8 months ago. I also indicated to you a cop had me and a friend leave a store because the worker was worried about us. Shrug.

Man who called police on black woman at North Carolina pool no longer has job

Good!

Irrational, ignorant, and unfair people of all stripes need to be marginalized....and the sooner, the better, and the more of them who are, the better.

Black folks at all levels of society have for decades been saying that almost daily they are subjected to some sort of racially aligned denigrating behavior or remarks that whites just don't endure, and for just as long, the retort has been tantamount to saying that they're all makin' it up. They aren't and they weren't, and finally we're seeing regular and recurring evidence that they are not.

"Barbecue Becky (May)," Permit Patty (June)," the Yale incident (May), the Starbucks incident (May), and now "Pool boy (July)." That's just five events, but with 20M black folks, it's highly unlikely those five are all that've happened. And what the people involved in those incidents experienced aren't the only ways in which bias against blacks manifests.

Lack of news coverage, doesn't mean lack of occurrence. We do know that the same guy has asked other non-blacks to leave the pool.

But, I just indicated that I was asked to show my ID at my parent's community pool. I was there for Thanksgiving, just 8 months ago. I also indicated to you a cop had me and a friend leave a store because the worker was worried about us. Shrug.

then you imply you are unable to show that a cop was called to intervene when a white resident tried to enter the pool

we are approaching a prima facie circumstance of disparate treatment of the black resident

then you imply you are unable to show that a cop was called to intervene when a white resident tried to enter the pool

we are approaching a prima facie circumstance of disparate treatment of the black resident

Or at least a prima facie circumstance of disparate reporting of black inconvenience. non-black people were removed form the pool by the same guy, and just didn't make the news. Shrug.

Or at least a prima facie circumstance of disparate reporting of black inconvenience. non-black people were removed form the pool by the same guy, and just didn't make the news. Shrug.

A lot of those being removed could have been for being drunk, not controlling their children, or in general creating a disturbance more than normal for a pool

We do not know how many residents in this community who have access to the pool are black, or how many blacks go to the pool on a regular basis.

If we were to know that say 10% or more of pool users are black, then I would go with the guy was just an overreacting idiot. If it turns out that very few users are black, then I would hazard a guess the guy is an idiot and a racist

A lot of those being removed could have been for being drunk, not controlling their children, or in general creating a disturbance more than normal for a pool

Could be. While I suspect not, we really don't know.

I guarantee you that if one of those being removed for not controlling their children were white, there is zero chance we would have heard about it. If it had been a black family not controlling their children and being removed, it would have been a racist situation resulting in the firing and public shaming of everyone involved.

It's just the times we live in, I guess...

Could be. While I suspect not, we really don't know.

I guarantee you that if one of those being removed for not controlling their children were white, there is zero chance we would have heard about it. If it had been a black family not controlling their children and being removed, it would have been a racist situation resulting in the firing and public shaming of everyone involved.

It's just the times we live in, I guess...

I am sure that kids of all races in the US get kicked out of pools for not being controlled

I doubt people of all races have had police called because they wanted to use a pool they had paid access to (community fees)

I doubt people of all races have had police called because they wanted to use a pool they had paid access to (community fees)

I am sure they have, when giving an incorrect address that doesn't exist to a board member as "proof" they live in the community then refusing to provide verification of proper access or leaving. It's impossible to prove, though, as the media wouldn't bother with that story. Just as it appears that only black non-customers and never white non-customers have been asked to leave a private business by cops, when we know that just is not true.

Back
Top Bottom