• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting

There has been a drastic increase in cop killings and ambushes, police are human and know that the slightest hesitation could result in them not being able to go home to their families. Simply looking at the issue from one side without accounting for the reasons police might be on edge is rather ignorant of the danger these people face. Changing ones mindset when it could very well mean life or death is a rather tall order.
So you are OK with a police killing someone just because they are to scared to do the job, and pee their panties?

If they are on edge, they shouldn't have a firearm.

Period!

Also, in this swatting incident it wasn't someone calling about being held hostage. From the police's perspective it was the hostage taker and the phone appearing to originate from that property. There was no way for them to know that it was a prank.

No way?

Like maybe making a phone call to the inside? Even if it was cell phones only, the police would have access to phone numbers of the people living there. Did they even try telephonic communications?

911... There's an assault team outside my house. I'm afraid to do anything. Will you send some legitimate police out here please...

You assume that you can make it to a courtroom.

Andrew Finch didn't - he is in the morgue, and he didn't even fight.

In a perfect world this stuff wouldn't happen. But we don't live in a perfect world and never will. Mistakes will happen. Even mistakes that cost lives. What it seems that your wanting is impossible to achieve in reality.

I would call 911 and tell them what I see. If they tell me they are legitimate officers, I would query why they are there.

Just the same, it appears the police went straight for the assault setup, and they will pay millions for that mistake if so, and hopefully at least one gets sentenced for manslaughter.

Over-zeolous police need to be held accountable for their actions, and not pull, the trigger because they pee their panties.

I can pretty much agree with everything here except the bolded. I see no reason to sentence them for manslaughter for simply doing their job and making a mistake. Police are human beings. Not God.

You do know that they don't go in "unannounced" right? They're often screaming "police" (or whatever lettered agency they are from) along with get down or some such. Not to mention the clothing and bulletproof jackets they are wearing have POLICE (or whatever lettered agency they are from) in big bright letters on them. Only time this doesn't actually happen is when they use flash bang grenades through the windows.

Besides, if you are going to go shooting at people that use flash bangs and heavy gear to raid your place before attempting to ascertain just who they are before firing then I've got to wonder what the hell you're up to that you're prepared to shoot first in such situations.

I wonder who wouldn't, as that type of situation doesn't give you anytime to sit there and think about things.

Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting | Fox News

The police were told that the man had killed someone and was threatening to kill others and himself. A completely crazy, violent person, in other words. So when they went there, and the guy failed to keep his hands in the air, they shot him.

He wasn't even the guy who Barriss argued with.

A lot of people are angry with the police, but I don't think that this is a case where they can just go up and knock on the door in a plain uniform. On the other hand, there has to be a better way to do this than shooting someone because he's confused and reaches for his pants. Of course, such reasoned judgments are difficult in the heat of the moment.

As for Barriss, if he is convicted of doing what is alleged I wish upon him the most medieval of punishments. According to Forbes and others, he has done this sort of thing multiple times in the past.

He should be put in trial for murder and he got the cops. to do it.
Not the first time I have heard of this.

One guy was in his house playing call of duty and the police busted down his down in riot gear because a
Neighbor called in as a prank saying they were hearing someone shoot off machine gun fire.

I can pretty much agree with everything here except the bolded. I see no reason to sentence them for manslaughter for simply doing their job and making a mistake. Police are human beings. Not God.

I do not find it acceptable to kill out of fear. If they cannot do their job without wetting their panties, they should have never joined. I also wonder how many join for the chance to kill someone. I'm sur at least a small percentage do, and maybe it's these ones who are killing the innocent?

I do not find it acceptable to kill out of fear. If they cannot do their job without wetting their panties, they should have never joined. I also wonder how many join for the chance to kill someone. I'm sur at least a small percentage do, and maybe it's these ones who are killing the innocent?

What reason is acceptable, if not for fear of ones life?

What reason is acceptable, if not for fear of ones life?

I should have specified in a job that you will be put in such situation.

Other criteria too.

You guys can rationalize the killings by police all you want. I simply do not agree to the pathetic low standards you hold the police to.

Generally when someone is going into a situation that they believe has someone in it that just murdered someone in cold blood that someone isn't going to take chances. Justifiably so. The one that should be charged with murder is the prank caller. His actions and statements led to what happened. This is not a case where the cops should be blamed.

Other criteria too.

You guys can rationalize the killings by police all you want. I simply do not agree to the pathetic low standards you hold the police to.

What pathetic low standards? Standards based on them human beings?

Other criteria too.

I'm not rationalizing anything, I was asking you a legitimate question.....at what point in your mind does lethal force become justified?

I wont comment on this incident as I was not there and did not witness the events that led of to the shooting; its not my place to second guess anyone with such sparse details.

I'm not rationalizing anything, I was asking you a legitimate question.....at what point in your mind does lethal force become justified?

I wont comment on this incident as I was not there and did not witness the events that led of to the shooting; its not my place to second guess anyone with such sparse details.

Under imminent danger only.

Under imminent danger only.

Imminent danger is a pretty vague description that changes from situation to situation.....could you be a bit more detailed?

Example...Our ROE in Iraq changed on a monthly basis; at one point we were not even allowed to open fire unless fired upon.....unfortunately, the damage ( or deaths) were already done at that point.

There was a actually a series of steps required before we could fire....usually resulting in casualties unless the service members "skipped" steps and went straight to lethal force.

Again....I wasn't there, I don't know what happened, but I do know that there is no pat answer or perfect protocol to use in every situation.

What would you suggest?

For me, imminent danger is real danger. Not imagined danger.

Keep in mind also, this was not a war zone.

No way. That is not justifiable. The police had cover behind cars. The police shot immediately.

You should not be supporting a police officer that is to damn scared, and pees his pants so readily.

He needs to serve time for manslaughter.

Great -- so now you want officers that just hide behind their cars. Good thinking. :roll:

Heck, why even go out on calls at all? That'd be even safer.

I doubt the cop will be charged with anything, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that he loses his job.

The caller now -- that guy is going away to the big house for a very long time.

Great -- so now you want officers that just hide behind their cars. Good thinking. :roll:

I doubt the cop will be charged with anything, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that he loses his job.

I'm saying because the police were in relatively safe positions, none of them needed to open fire.

For me, imminent danger is real danger. Not imagined danger.

Keep in mind also, this was not a war zone.

That would depend upon the city in question and ones perspective.

More importantly, ones perception of "real danger" will vary from person to person.

Strictly speaking, the courts have ruled that the Police have no legal obligation to protect the citizens.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone - The New York Times

I'm saying because the police were in relatively safe positions, none of them needed to open fire.

I could be totally wrong, but it seems as if the cops weren't just looking after their safety, but, because the caller said he'd already killed and was prepared to kill again, they were intent on stopping that as well. I think there's always a question of when should a cop use deadly force to prevent additional killings? Should they wait until the guy points a gun directly at someone else? Should they jump the gun (as they did in this case) just because he reaches toward his waistband? The one thing we know is that the mindset of the officers was one of being involved in a murder/hostage situation where a split-second decision might be required in order to save lives. In my opinion, that's what happened here. It was the caller that created that mindset. Had the caller reported a lost dog, the mindset would have been very different.

It went bad here, we can all agree on that, and I think we can also agree that the officer who fired is probably too emotional to work in that career, but we still have to put the blame where it really lies -- on the person whose actions led the police to the door of an innocent person that night. The police believed the caller, that's why the shooting occurred.

And, on some level, I'd bet the little asshole that made the call was hoping for this type of an outcome. He'd already done time for making multiple bomb-threat calls to a TV station. I don't believe he didn't know the risk he was putting on innocent people. He knew better. He'd already gone to prison for hoax calls. He was just upping the ante here. This was not a teenager or a first offense. Laws are being considered in different states to make punishments much more severe for swatting, because this "game" is endangering lives.

Strictly speaking, the courts have ruled that the Police have no legal obligation to protect the citizens.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone - The New York Times

Thank you for that link. I've heard something similar before but it's good to know for sure.

We're seeing "de-policing" in inner cities that suffer from high crime rates as a result of the "anti-cop" attitudes that have developed in the past few years. And, it makes sense to me. Why would a cop want to risk his life in situations that are likely to work against him? Yes, it's his job, but the salary of an average beat cop isn't going to make him risk his neck (or job) if he feels his actions will be held against him.

I don't know what it will take to restore respect toward law enforcement but the current atmosphere isn't helping matters.

You mean to tell me that people don't make up stories to the cops all the time and the cops don't have the skills or wherewithal to make heads or tails of a situation. They cant figure if the phone call is local or not?

Stories like that? I seriously hope not! Although over 400 calls over a year in this country that fit this category of 'swatting' is too many, it's not a usual incident in many cities and towns.

In this day of cell phones, how would you know if it's really local? You take your number with you. Whatever your area code is will show up regardless where you are, so if I'm in CA and call 911, it's going to show up as a NY number. Should they say never mind then? Yeah, they could eventually figure it out, but that takes time.

You don't seem to realize the seriousness of what the call was. They have to take every call seriously, it's their job. Do you want to have to call for an emergency, oh say, someone in your house with a gun, and they tell you they have to verify everything first? And quiz you to see if you are making it up?

Not me. If they ever get a call when my life might be in danger, I'd like them to show up quickly please.

Not when they have a chance to put on the riot gear and play out their favorite rainbow six fantasy

That is such an unfair comment to make. Can I ask what age group you are in? I am thinking you are much younger.

Not when they have a chance to put on the riot gear and play out their favorite rainbow six fantasy

Oh, we are so going to disagree on this one. This one is totally 100% on the police. They ****ed up big time.

What danger? There was no one else in the room.

Brailsford is a trigger happy murderer and I won't cry a bit if someone points a gun at him, makes him crawl, and shoots him.

He deserves nothing less.

I would call 911 and tell them what I see. If they tell me they are legitimate officers, I would query why they are there.

Just the same, it appears the police went straight for the assault setup, and they will pay millions for that mistake if so, and hopefully at least one gets sentenced for manslaughter.

Over-zeolous police need to be held accountable for their actions, and not pull, the trigger because they pee their panties.

None of you armchair quarterbacks have the balls to do the job that they do.

Deal with the **** they deal with day in and day out, putting themselves out there as targets in uniforms because people these days think nothing of killing each other over dirty looks. And try and save innocent people from the actions of others, even ignorant people that think they know how to do their job better. Tell the wives and family of those cops who were killed just because they wore a uniform, that their loved one doesn't do their job right because you know better how to react in any given situation. I dare you.

Back
Top Bottom