• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Kansas Republican lawmaker says black people can’t handle marijuana because of ‘their genetics’

OK, fine, an ignorant, baseless and racist reason to ban pot isn't his complete stance. :roll:

He made his stance on this issue known and yet people still cry racist.

Me thinks people are just using this thread, so they can project perhaps?

He made his stance on this issue known and yet people still cry racist.

Sure, because the reason he gave for banning pot was....clearly and obviously racist. And his so-called apology was maybe a half step above the type of apology with the form of, "Sorry you were offended by me calling you a whore, you whore."

To my knowledge, I haven't claimed HE is racist because I don't know him, but the alternative is he's an obvious moron for passing off racist myth as fact without taking the 5 minutes it would take to verify that in fact there is no evidence blacks get all scary and violent when smoking pot.

Me thinks people are just using this thread, so they can project perhaps?

Could be that, or just the ordinary and necessary act of calling out incredible and offensive stupidity by elected officials. I'll go with that. :peace

Sure, because the reason he gave for banning pot was....clearly and obviously racist. And his so-called apology was maybe a half step above the type of apology with the form of, "Sorry you were offended by me calling you a whore, you whore."

To my knowledge, I haven't claimed HE is racist because I don't know him, but the alternative is he's an obvious moron for passing off racist myth as fact without taking the 5 minutes it would take to verify that in fact there is no evidence blacks get all scary and violent when smoking pot.

Could be that, or just the ordinary and necessary act of calling out incredible and offensive stupidity by elected officials. I'll go with that. :peace

Yes but unfortunately, what the rest of them keep missing is that he is stating the reason why the law was enacted at the time.

I am still looking for a message somewhere that he says, it was a reason that he believes in. Because the only thing that I can find about his own stance on the issue was that he hated to repeat it.

Unfortunately RawStory really isn't one of the most up front news sites I've seen. They basically tear straight away from what he is saying and throw that message from a bygone time to mingle the two. Which is a rather desperate attempt at trying to paint the man in a bad light.

Even the transcript of the interview, shows that he opens it as the reasoning back then and he is already stating it as something that isn't good with his own reciting of it.

Yes but unfortunately, what the rest of them keep missing is that he is stating the reason why the law was enacted at the time.

I am still looking for a message somewhere that he says, it was a reason that he believes in. Because the only thing that I can find about his own stance on the issue was that he hated to repeat it.

Unfortunately RawStory really isn't one of the most up front news sites I've seen. They basically tear straight away from what he is saying and throw that message from a bygone time to mingle the two. Which is a rather desperate attempt at trying to paint the man in a bad light.

Even the transcript of the interview, shows that he opens it as the reasoning back then and he is already stating it as something that isn't good with his own reciting of it.

Here's his comments:

“Basically any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs,” Alford said. “What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas (and) across the United States.

“What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we’re trying to do is we’re trying to do a complete reverse with people not remembering what has happened in the past.”

I'll quit here because it's clear you're going to find some way to defend this guy's comments. But you can't read that transcript and find ANY evidence he didn't believe the (baseless and racist) reason given in the 1930s is still a valid one. He never claimed what you're claiming on his behalf. The best case interpretation is he's a moron who passed along racist myth as fact. I know you'll disagree so I'll just leave it here with his words speaking for themselves. I can't really add much to them.

Here's his comments:

I'll quit here because it's clear you're going to find some way to defend this guy's comments. But you can't read that transcript and find ANY evidence he didn't believe the (baseless and racist) reason given in the 1930s is still a valid one. He never claimed what you're claiming on his behalf. The best case interpretation is he's a moron who passed along racist myth as fact. I know you'll disagree so I'll just leave it here with his words speaking for themselves. I can't really add much to them.

You're not saying much already, seeing as that is already the same information being presented by the article and yes marijuana is usually an entrance drug for many.

Did you actually intend on making a point?

You're not saying much already, seeing as that is already the same information being presented by the article and yes marijuana is usually an entrance drug for many.

Did you actually intend on making a point?

Yes, it's stated in the part you quoted. Can you read?

"But you can't read that transcript and find ANY evidence he didn't believe the (baseless and racist) reason given in the 1930s is still a valid one. He never claimed what you're claiming on his behalf. The best case interpretation is he's a moron who passed along racist myth as fact."

Yes, it's stated in the part you quoted. Can you read?

"But you can't read that transcript and find ANY evidence he didn't believe the (baseless and racist) reason given in the 1930s is still a valid one. He never claimed what you're claiming on his behalf. The best case interpretation is he's a moron who passed along racist myth as fact."

Yes, do you still not get it?

Asians are sensitive to alchole, where Irish are less sensitive to the effects of alchole. Thats why you get stereo types of Irish men drinking to much and asians not being able to hold their liquer. Its science

Seriously.... What the F**K? That's un-f**king real.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/ka...t-handle-marijuana-because-of-their-genetics/

Hope that guy gets voted out of office.
Can you prove him wrong? Would be a kick in the nads to find out he is right, no? I don't know if he's right or not, but at least have something to back up your argument before taking away his job. Just like Jimmy the Greek got the boot after he had the nerve to say blacks were "Bred" to be bigger and stronger.

Asians are sensitive to alchole, where Irish are less sensitive to the effects of alchole. Thats why you get stereo types of Irish men drinking to much and asians not being able to hold their liquer. Its science

And this relates to the OP how?

Can you prove him wrong? Would be a kick in the nads to find out he is right, no? I don't know if he's right or not, but at least have something to back up your argument before taking away his job. Just like Jimmy the Greek got the boot after he had the nerve to say blacks were "Bred" to be bigger and stronger.

The burden of proof here is on the guy making arguably racist justifications for banning pot. If you want, you can find some links backing him up:

“Basically any way you say it, marijuana is an entry drug into the higher drugs,” Alford said. “What you really need to do is go back in the ’30s, when they outlawed all types of drugs in Kansas (and) across the United States.

“What was the reason why they did that? One of the reasons why, I hate to say it, was that the African Americans, they were basically users and they basically responded the worst off to those drugs just because of their character makeup, their genetics and that. And so basically what we’re trying to do is we’re trying to do a complete reverse with people not remembering what has happened in the past.”

Well its true that blacks are genetically more sensitive to salt which causes increased risk of heart disease and high blood pressure. It wouldn't be impossible that they are also more sensitive to THC.

But it's not. That's a fact. Pesky little things that get in the right wing way.

Well, it was used to target minorities, but it was really about paper.

Hearst, kimberly-clark, and I believe it was Dow Chemical had invested iirc a billion dollars (in the 30's) buying timber rights and building pulp paper plants and the chemical plants to support them.

Then the department of agriculture released a new technology for removing the fibers from hemp stalks that would have made hemp papaer far cheaper than the wood pulp paper.

So the pulp paper investors went to Washington and had it made illegal.

Never could have happened in the age of C-SPAN.

They literally made one claim and then the opposite claim the next time it was brought up. Repeatedly.

There's a book that was well researched on the subject. "The emperor wears no clothes" by Jack Herer.

Support for the prohibition was garnered by pointing at Mexicans and blacks and fearmongering.

Actually saying things like pot makes black men want white women.

Reefer Madness was produced by Hearst as propaganda.

Anslinger was hand selected and an amoral attack dog.

Its an interesting read. Impossible to come to any conclusion than that pot prohibition was about pulp paper and all those people have had their lives destroyed so corporations wouldn't lose their investments to a superior product.

The most amusing thing is that hemp for paper doesn't get you high.

So there was never a "public health" issue to begin with from hemp.

They just conflated the two different plants to achieve their agenda of making hemp illegal.

No hemp, no competition.

Yip I read that book decades ago, very good book and explains clearly how a simple plant that does more good.than harm ( other than those caught up in the legal system)became what we have today.

This 'genetic' racism was described well when pedophile tess nugent called President Obama a 'subhuman mongrel' ...

Pedophile and draft dodger.

I am a hunter but that stain of humanity does not speak for me...

Back
Top Bottom