• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the night of the long knives upon us?

Is that what they are calling it now? It looks like the Nazi salute to me.

Hitler-Trump-salute-Getty-TOI-collage.jpg

:roll:

sieg%20heil.jpg

Hillary-salute-2.jpg

AP-APTOPIX-DEM-2016-Sanders.jpg

Is that what they are calling it now? It looks like the Nazi salute to me.

Hitler-Trump-salute-Getty-TOI-collage.jpg
689933ec44ea5f5656821f610b67e0f51b1d506b.jpg

geeez...just think of the bullet you dodged by not getting a religious nazi in the WH.

President-elect Donald Trump's incoming chief of staff WARNED the head of a top government watchdog organization on Sunday to be careful of its public criticism of Trump. WHOA WHOA WHOA. What is he planning? A night of the long knives. witch was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany from June 30 to July 2, 1934, when the Nazi regime carried out a series of political extrajudicial executions intended to consolidate Hitler's absolute hold on power in Germany. He got rid of anyone that did not conform to his way of doing things. Is that a veiled threat by Reince Priebus? Once you start threatening politicians and organizations, and citizens to be careful of it's PUBLIC criticisms. Then we are in danger of a government that will become dangerous to the people of this country. Oil your guns and stock up on ammo people.

First post is a doozy. You go, Boy.

...and technically speaking, it is actually a ROMAN salute.
Just sayin'.

What makes you so sure Trump will last out his term without impeachment? The Congress may decide they would rather have Pence.

Lol... Yea, Im sure you people would be much happier with President Pence over Trump

Or have you even thought this through ?

First post is a doozy. You go, Boy.

Yea its a doozy alright. The Left is literally becoming more and more unhinged by the hour.

The hysteria is just unreal.

No, Trump is not planning to execute his political opponents en-mass. What a ludicrous statement.

Up till now the paranoid far-right seemed to have a monopoly on conspiracy theories about concentration camps and mass roundups of dissidents, but the new Left seems determined to out-paranoid them. Sales of tinfoil hats and black-helo accessories must be booming....

Quite true, so frothing at the mouth borderline insane, maybe someone should check the folks for rabies or something.

Speaking the truth will definitely be challenged by the Trump administration. They have already redefined "truth" as anything that Trump supporters believe to be true. It is right out of "Animal Farm". Could "some are more equal than others" be far behind?
Yes. As Obama sends 4,000 US troops into Poland we hear about truth telling from anti-Trump partisans. Right out of Animal Farm indeed.

President-elect Donald Trump's incoming chief of staff WARNED the head of a top government watchdog organization on Sunday to be careful of its public criticism of Trump. WHOA WHOA WHOA. What is he planning? A night of the long knives. witch was a purge that took place in Nazi Germany from June 30 to July 2, 1934, when the Nazi regime carried out a series of political extrajudicial executions intended to consolidate Hitler's absolute hold on power in Germany. He got rid of anyone that did not conform to his way of doing things. Is that a veiled threat by Reince Priebus? Once you start threatening politicians and organizations, and citizens to be careful of it's PUBLIC criticisms. Then we are in danger of a government that will become dangerous to the people of this country. Oil your guns and stock up on ammo people.

Overreacting much? Trump isn't comparable to the Nazi's, and all that does is hurt your argument, and your credibility (if you had any to begin with).

If you want to go hide in a bunker 100 ft. under the ground, with weapons, ammunition, and non-perishable food, in order to hide from Fuher Trump, then be my guest.

But just know you are acting just as ridiculous as the ones that thought Obama was gonna do the same.

No, there is not going to be an American Kristallnacht... :roll:

Yes. As Obama sends 4,000 US troops into Poland we hear about truth telling from anti-Trump partisans. Right out of Animal Farm indeed.

What is wrong with supporting our allies? It seems a whole lot more logical than supporting enemies like Putin.

Lol... Yea, Im sure you people would be much happier with President Pence over Trump

Or have you even thought this through ?

Did I say I would be happier with Pence? Congress might be but not me. Pence is everything that is wrong with the GOP personified.

Well, now, wait a minute. Part of the lesson of history to be divined from the rise of the Third Reich (among many other regimes) is that very few people, inside or outside Germany, had any reason to think beforehand that the Nazis would turn out to be so bad. Heck, most party members didn't know that the final solution would be outright genocide (or even murder) until roughly 1939/40--most Nazis thought Hitler meant to ship the Jews off to Palestine and Madagascar. And if Krystalnacht might have tipped off more astute observers of history that more than deportation was in store for the Jews, at least, no one except the conspirators themselves saw the Night of Long Knives coming.

I do not think hysteria warranted (is it ever?). But I would put it to you and anyone that taking even one step towards the sort of political millieu that characterized Nazi Germany must be done with extreme caution, and should raise all kinds of red flags. Arguing against someone who criticizes you is fair game--absolutely. Doing so answers like with like. Warning someone who criticizes you that there will be consequences for doing so is not fair game--even if the consequences in mind are less severe than execution. People have a right to criticize whom they will, in what way they will, and a free society recognizes that right.

In short, while I agree that mass executions are very unlikely, they just became a tad less unlikely--and that small incremental increase in likelihood should have people just a little worried.

Dude, 100+ ****ing people died. You really think Trump is going to ORDER THE EXECUTION OF 100+ CONGRESSMEN? You need to seriously take a history refresher course. Trump would be obliterated, or did you forget just how utterly terrifying the U.S. Military really is?

As a Jewish person, I say...

...wait, no, that'll get me infracted.

I will say that I despise Trump, but that is an unhinged post if I've ever seen one.

I have little doubt that he'll do everything he can to take revenge on anyone that pierces his oh-so-pierceable skin, but he won't be ordering any mass executions.

Yea its a doozy alright. The Left is literally becoming more and more unhinged by the hour.

"The left."

By the same logic, "the right" is literally becoming a neo-nazi party. I know that because neo-nazis are saluting Trump.

Abbazorkzog said:
Dude, 100+ ****ing people died. You really think Trump is going to ORDER THE EXECUTION OF 100+ CONGRESSMEN?

No...as I said quite clearly in the post to which you responded. Specifically, I wrote: "... I agree that mass executions are very unlikely." I think most people would understand that the question you've posed was already answered.

Abbazorkzog said:
You need to seriously take a history refresher course.

Hmmmm...did I say anything that was incorrect? Here is a breakdown of the claims I made:

1. Very few people, inside or outside Germany, had any reason to think beforehand that the Nazis would turn out to be so bad. (by "beforehand" I mean "before the Nazis were voted into power").

2. Most party members didn't know that the final solution would be outright genocide (or even murder) until roughly 1939/40--most Nazis thought Hitler meant to ship the Jews off to Palestine and Madagascar.

3. If Krystalnacht might have tipped off more astute observers of history that more than deportation was in store for the Jews, at least, no one except the conspirators themselves saw the Night of Long Knives coming.

So, which of those is false? Doesn't seem to me that any of them are. Presumably, if the average German voter could have foreseen May 1945, they'd not have voted for Hitler. Chamberlain wouldn't have returned to England to applause if there was widespread understanding that he'd made a huge error in coddling Hitler. Jews weren't forced into Ghettos until September of 1939. The Night of the Long Knives was, for obvious reasons, kept secret.

Abbazorkzog said:
Trump would be obliterated, or did you forget just how utterly terrifying the U.S. Military really is?

Conditions change, and dictators start out in a democratic atmosphere, which they then gradually change to something else. Part of what allows them to do so is a chorus of people going "no way! That's just impossible! That cannot happen here! That guy would be toast!"

So now, if you've read all that and think I believe Trump is going to do what Hitler did, you haven't understood either of my posts.

No...as I said quite clearly in the post to which you responded. Specifically, I wrote: "... I agree that mass executions are very unlikely." I think most people would understand that the question you've posed was already answered.

Hmmmm...did I say anything that was incorrect? Here is a breakdown of the claims I made:

1. Very few people, inside or outside Germany, had any reason to think beforehand that the Nazis would turn out to be so bad. (by "beforehand" I mean "before the Nazis were voted into power").

2. Most party members didn't know that the final solution would be outright genocide (or even murder) until roughly 1939/40--most Nazis thought Hitler meant to ship the Jews off to Palestine and Madagascar.

3. If Krystalnacht might have tipped off more astute observers of history that more than deportation was in store for the Jews, at least, no one except the conspirators themselves saw the Night of Long Knives coming.

So, which of those is false? Doesn't seem to me that any of them are. Presumably, if the average German voter could have foreseen May 1945, they'd not have voted for Hitler. Chamberlain wouldn't have returned to England to applause if there was widespread understanding that he'd made a huge error in coddling Hitler. Jews weren't forced into Ghettos until September of 1939. The Night of the Long Knives was, for obvious reasons, kept secret.

Conditions change, and dictators start out in a democratic atmosphere, which they then gradually change to something else. Part of what allows them to do so is a chorus of people going "no way! That's just impossible! That cannot happen here! That guy would be toast!"

So now, if you've read all that and think I believe Trump is going to do what Hitler did, you haven't understood either of my posts.
If you think typing out a wall of text and bullet-points makes your OP any less absurd (let alone that anyone rational enough to discern between Hitler and Trump would waste their time reading such nonsense) or anymore relevant than the right-wingers claiming Obama is a Muslim, then you have been duped by the divide-and-conquer agenda.

Abbazorkzog said:
If you think typing out a wall of text and bullet-points makes your OP any less absurd (let alone that anyone rational enough to discern between Hitler and Trump would waste their time reading such nonsense) or anymore relevant than the right-wingers claiming Obama is a Muslim, then you have been duped by the divide-and-conquer agenda.

Two points:

1. You think that tiny bit of text is a "wall"? C'mon...have education standards fallen that low? Nevermind, I need only to look to my recent crop of undergrads...yeah, they have.

2. Your reply isn't substantive, so I have to assume you have no substantive reply. Which is fine, because you clearly didn't understand what I wrote from the get-go.

Two points:

1. You think that tiny bit of text is a "wall"? C'mon...have education standards fallen that low? Nevermind, I need only to look to my recent crop of undergrads...yeah, they have.

2. Your reply isn't substantive, so I have to assume you have no substantive reply. Which is fine, because you clearly didn't understand what I wrote from the get-go.

Assume what you want, but I'm not going to spend an hour pouring over every sentence and word of your post and replying to each one in tandem to impress you, because - unlike you - I do not put reasoning second to ideology. You wanna compare Trump to Hitler, and accuse Russians of hacking into people's brains, that's fine. But I am not going to waste anymore time dealing with your kind.

Just wanted to let you know how absurd you were being.

:2wave:

Abbazorkzog said:
Assume what you want, but I'm not going to spend an hour pouring over every sentence and word of your post and replying to each one in tandem to impress you, because - unlike you - I do not put reasoning second to ideology. You wanna compare Trump to Hitler, and accuse Russians of hacking into people's brains, that's fine. But I am not going to waste anymore time dealing with your kind.

Just wanted to let you know how absurd you were being.

You cannot sensibly make a judgment about whether someone is being absurd if you won't actually read, and do not understand, their posts. Anyway, I don't know what ideology you think I have, and I haven't said anything about Russia or Russians. Since you were kind enough to recommend that I take a refresher history course, let me return the favor: if it would seriously take you an hour to read and respond intelligently to my posts in this thread, you should engage a reading tutor and take some classes in logic.

When are people going to figure out that still frames of someone waving can bear a vague resemblence to the nazi salute and this doesn't mean anything?
Doesn't fit the agenda though, if you put it into context.

Next thing you know, people are gonna think George Bush isn't really a chimp, just because he said "who" during a photograph, and now it's been turned into a political meme.

Back
Top Bottom