• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Iraqi TV Reports Strike Kills Powerful Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander

It is possible to believe *both* that:

(1) Soleimani presented a serious and ongoing threat to national and international security; and

(2) The costs to national and international security of targeting and killing him in a US military operation could far outweigh the benefits.

(1) is certainly true (2) remains to be seen. I suspect that there have been other opportunities to get this guy that have not been taken for that exact reason. But it seems the attack on the US embassy changed that. Either way, this was a guy who needed dyin. He had way too much American blood on his hands.

You are a prime example of how being a citizen of the worlds hegemon can lead to moral backwardness and the wish to bully/support to bully others. You act as if the US bullying of Iran over the last 70 years has no bearing on events. That it should be allowed to bully it and economically strangle and isolate it with all of the deprevations on the population ( people you are supposed to care so much about recall ) without them having any recourse to retaliate.
That's correct. Do you have an issue with it?

One of the most fundamental principles of international law is that embassies are foreign spol and that attacking one is Casus Belli. The response to Iran's attack on our embassy was measured, clear and to the point.

To those that expect retaliation, the correct word is escalation. They struck first.

Mossadegh was overthrown under the auspices of the Eisenhower administration, and the overthrow of Mossadegh in Great Britain and the United States are long dead. As is the Soviet Union, which was the main reason for us engaging in cynical power politics on a global level. I am all for talking about the sins of the past, but they are in the past, and we are not bound inextricably by history.

The understanding of history in essential to the understanding of the present. The US administrations didn't care then and don't care about Iraqis , Kurds , Iranians now so stop trying to dupe people that they do.

If you want to look at the sins of the present look at the US initiated destruction of Iraq and further destruction of Afghanistan. It's violation of Syrian sovereignty , the regressive reality of Libya today , the violations of the sovereignty of other nations.

If you want to talk specifically about Iran then just look at how the US , against everyones wishes , scuppered the Iranian nuclear deal , engaged in the economic warfare of sanctions that are crippling the country

(1) is certainly true (2) remains to be seen. I suspect that there have been other opportunities to get this guy that have not been taken for that exact reason. But it seems the attack on the US embassy changed that. Either way, this was a guy who needed dyin. He had way too much American blood on his hands.

Here comes the cavalry. I don't know how you guys live with yourselves.

John Bolton on Twitter: "Congratulations to all involved in eliminating Qassem Soleimani. Long in the making, this was a decisive blow against Iran's malign Quds Force activities worldwide. Hope this is the first step to regime change in Tehran."

Priceless = You are fully unable to counter any of what I said on the best day of your life.
Just to triple check...you support Iran in this latest event...correct? And you are a leftist....correct?

It's actually not a bad argument. Are you willing to send your kids to protect and extract Middle Eastern resources from the people living there, causing death, and destruction and regional instability? Is that what servicemen and women sign up for? Or are they lied to and told that they will be serving Honor and Duty; that they will only be put in harms way when its absolutely necessary?

What exactly is the point in assassinating an Iranian official? Because he is responsible for American deaths? Is that your moral argument? The Reagan Admin supported rape and murder squads. Should anyone in his admin be fair game in retrospect?

You can't talk about transgender people, nor support them, unless you have a a transgender kid. No talking about football unless you play.

It's ****ing asshole stupid.

We don't marginalize political positions based on arbitrary qualification invented to help our "side" win. That's pathetic, anti intellectual and scumbag.

Anyone with an IQ over 100 should see that.

I figured you wouldn't answer honestly. But hey you lefties keep cheerleading for NK and Iran terrorists ...you are electing Trump to his second term all on your own.

I did answer honestly but you don't want to contemplate the history of Western/US state terrorism against Iran and its people because you haven't the stomach for the ugly truth it represents.

I did answer honestly but you don't want to contemplate the history of Western/US state terrorism against Iran and its people because you haven't the stomach for the ugly truth it represents.
No...you didn't. This guy is dead because an American was killed and then this piece of garbage thought it was a good idea to then attack our embassy. **** him and any terrorist sympathizer. Enjoy our pinpoint drone strikes. Your terrorist heroes are on borrowed time.

Meanwhile...back in the real world...Iran a terrorist nation attacked and American and our embassy. Nighty nite terrorists. Please keep supporting terrorists...we need the left to shout this at the top of their lungs so every American can see how you all think before the next election. I bet you support NK over Trump as well right?

The " real world " ? You appear to live in a world that has been completely shaped by your own propaganda system with the ability to apply the same standards to other nations that you demand be applied to your own completely lacking. That conditioning has insulated you from the state terrorism your own country regularly engages in and thus you don't see the outrageous hypocrisy of you claiming that others are those who are " supporting terrorism "

I believe that peoples should be allowed to define their own nations and conduct their own affairs free from the rolling pin of US imperialsim , from anyones imperialistic dictates in fact. That people like you cannot see it and childishly equate it to " support fro terrorism " is as hysterical as it is sad.

Do you have a point in there somewhere?

Yes. I see that it went over your head. You guys ache for war and you’re never held accountable after you get it. This assassination was in the planning for a LONG time. Just like the Iraq Invasion before 9/11. Just so bloodthirsty neocons can wreak havoc in a land that was never theirs.

The " real world " ? You appear to live in a world that has been completely shaped by your own propaganda system with the ability to apply the same standards to other nations that you demand be applied to your own completely lacking. That conditioning has insulated you from the state terrorism your own country regularly engages in and thus you don't see the outrageous hypocrisy of you claiming that others are those who are " supporting terrorism "

I believe that peoples should be allowed to define their own nations and conduct their own affairs free from the rolling pin of US imperialsim , from anyones imperialistic dictates in fact. That people like you cannot see it and childishly equate it to " support fro terrorism " is as hysterical as it is sad.

Heres what we know...American killed, embassy attacked, missile up the ass of the iranian piece of absolute **** that was reaponsible. Nighty nite terrorist. I bet he wished he had taken a different path in life. Ouchie....I bet that stung.

Why not tell us what other Terrorist faces we shouldnt drive a missile through? That way we have a good start!

Terrorist = Fighting in your own land, for your own interests, against an invading nuclear power that has decimated the region for oil and resources. Iran hasn’t invaded another nation since it faced 300 Spartans. As bad as Iran is, America is DEFINITELY the worst actor in this conflict.

Terrorist = Fighting in your own land, for your own interests, against an invading nuclear power that has decimated the region for oil and resources. Iran hasn’t invaded another nation since it faced 300 Spartans. As bad as Iran is, America is DEFINITELY the worst actor in this conflict.

Who educated you. The embassy is American soil. It was attacked...YES or NO?

Why not tell us what other Terrorist faces we shouldnt drive a missile through? That way we have a good start!

The difference between us is that I’m morally consistent. You wax and wane your morals depending on the whims of the Republican agenda. I have a depth of knowledge and you think history begins and ends whenever America is wronged. Jesus would disapprove.

No...you didn't. This guy is dead because an American was killed and then this piece of garbage thought it was a good idea to then attack our embassy. **** him and any terrorist sympathizer. Enjoy our pinpoint drone strikes. Your terrorist heroes are on borrowed time.

The embassy protests in Iraq were a response to US airstrikes against Iranian backed militias, the same militia types tha have been ridding Iraq from ISIS fighters

Actually it is your own reign of terror that is on borrowed time imo.

The empires that overstretch themselves militarily are the ones that tend to crumble in record time and your nation is crumbling.

Additionally don't start looking for any sympathy if those you seek to crush strike back on your home territory in the not too distant

As soon as the question arises of the eviction of the American president from the White House to the cold, it immediately becomes clear that democracy has not yet been built in some places on planet Earth...

Who educated you. The embassy is American soil. It was attacked...YES or NO?

" Attacked " ?

Protesters threw stones at it because US airforce jets had attacked and killed Iraqi militia in airstrikes !!

So who started it in reality ?

" Attacked " ?

Protesters threw stones at it because US airforce jets had attacked and killed Iraqi militia in airstrikes !!

So who started it in reality ?

and why did we attack the militia?

Re: Iraqi TV Reports Strike Kills Powerful Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander immediately

Braindrain:

In one week the military of the United States attacked three sovereign states without any legitimate reason. You are legally at war with none of these three states. In case you haven't figured it out yet, in this region at this time, you are the baddies. You are the aggressor state, attacking any and all you choose to with seeming impunity. You are also the domestic enemies of the American people as you continue to squander their lives by the thousands and their treasure (tax revenue) by the trillions in a continuing series of wars of adventure which your people don't need or want. With all due respect (and that's a pretty low threshold IMO), your own militarists are a far greater threat to the real interests of your own citizens and your republic than any of these three states which you have unilaterally attacked since 2003. In my opinion it is the domestic enemies who should be arrested, charged, tried and, if convicted, locked up for decades in places like Guantanemo Bay. …

Honestly, your tirades of subjective and pejorative characterizations (also known as a rant of hot air) don't offer much of substance to reply to. However, there are a few items in need of examination.

First, one does not 'attack a sovereign state' just because one retaliates against other another foreign force also in the same third party country - not anymore than the precipitating Qud militia attack on US forces were an an 'attack on a sovereign state'. So let's not be silly, shall we?

Second, one might question whether the retaliation should have been more proportional to the provocation, but strikes at operational commanders in zones of conflict are customary in military conflicts, at least since the end of the 18th century. Those who died were not just 'visitors', they were the top commanders of the hostile forces that (not for the first time) targeted Americans and American soldiers in an attack. As such when they initiate war against American units, and are commanding those units in the field of battle, they a subject to a counter-attack and command decapitation.

Third, were it Abrams or Westmoreland in Vietnam, Schzwartkopf in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait, Patton in France, etc killing them would have been justly conducted under the rules of military conflict.

Four, there is no problem with expulsion. If Iraq demands US forces leave Iraq, they will do so. If the Afghanistan government demands the same, the US forces will also do so. The same applies to every country in the middle east EXCEPT the one country that is embroiled in a civil war with many foreign proxies - Syria, of which no one will leave.

Five, the pompous call to "drive" US and other European forces from the mid-east is curious. Do you honestly think that the "forever-wars" would end because the west stopped battling the crazies on their home turf? How historically ignorant would it be to ignore the fact that this area of the world (as with many others) are congenitally violent, anti-democratic, religiously jihadist, and at each others throats without a single western boot on the ground? Indeed, it was the collapse of Western influence that precipitated the Iraq-Iran war, the Persian Gulf war, etc. - just as the ascendency of Soviet influence precepted the Afghan war. As we write, there are civil wars happily engaged with or without outsider support.

Last, I will add that it may be strategically unwise to have decapitated the puppet masters in Iraq, it was more than well deserved. I couldn't be happier that such masters of evil are no more.

Last edited:
You can't talk about transgender people, nor support them, unless you have a a transgender kid. No talking about football unless you play.

It's ****ing asshole stupid.

We don't marginalize political positions based on arbitrary qualification invented to help our "side" win. That's pathetic, anti intellectual and scumbag.

Anyone with an IQ over 100 should see that.

Now address my post. I don’t know WTF you’re talking about.

Now address my post. I don’t know WTF you’re talking about.

Very simple:

I don't marginalize political opinion based on bs qualification I invent to benefit my "side".

Because I'm above that.

Soleimani is dead because our government can't think even a few seconds into the future.

What did we actually gain? Lets put this in sports terms. The key is value over replacement. Iran has a professional military. Soleimani will be replaced and we have no reason to suspect that his replacement will degrade Iranian capabilities in any way. Say Mattis had been killed by an IED in Iraq. Would that have hurt the overall US war effort or would it have galvanized US public support for the war and increased US presence?

So we gained nothing. What did we lose? What we wanted was to push back against Iran because of their support for groups that attacked our embassy. But this is like trying to put out a grease fire with water. Its far to provocative. It does not smother tensions. Iran has to retaliate. Tensions now have to escalate.

Where does Iran attack us next? Does Iran have nuclear weapons? If not they're going to be making a full out push to get them. And what of other countries? The lesson we're broadcasting to the world is that you're only safe from the US if you have nuclear weapons.

Re: Iraqi TV Reports Strike Kills Powerful Iranian Revolutionary Guard Commander immediately

Third, were it Abrams or Westmoreland in Vietnam, Schzwartkopf in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait, Patton in France, etc killing them would have been justly conducted under the rules of military conflict.

Would the Soviet Union have been justified assassinating the Director of the CIA due to it's conduct of Operation Cyclone?

Back
Top Bottom