• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

I refuse to vote for Mitt Romney

I am certain that if Mitt gets the nomination he will be defeated in the worst landslide election in modern history.

I have to disagree with you on that. Romney has positioned himself as the most sane, or should I say least insane, of all the GOP candidates. He is more of a moderate, so has a chance with Independents, who the Republicans need if they are to have a chance knocking Obama off. My opinion is that, should anybody but Romney win the nomination, you will have that landslide for the Democrats, but Romney does stand a chance in the general election.

As a staunch tea party conservative, I take the position that I will vote for any Republican in the field... except for Mitt Romney.

I cannot in my right mind vote for a Massachusetts progressive who practically authored the Obamacare law - I simply won't do it.

I'm not buying the "anybody but Obama" rhetoric Glenn Beck and the right wing media is spouting out.

If it comes to Romeny vs Obama, I will personally sit this election out.

Do other conservatives feel the same way?

While I agree with your assessment of Romney, voting for anyone other than BO means you are canceling out the vote of a person that supports The Chosen One. Romney sucks but four more years of BO will be an epic catastrophe. It is looking like I will need a pair of nose plugs when I go to the voting station next year.

My only hope if Romney wins, the senate will flip and both houses of Congress will MAKE him govern right of center.....that is far better than the uber liberal crap we are getting from Team BO.

As a staunch tea party conservative, I take the position that I will vote for any Republican in the field... except for Mitt Romney.

I cannot in my right mind vote for a Massachusetts progressive who practically authored the Obamacare law - I simply won't do it.

I'm not buying the "anybody but Obama" rhetoric Glenn Beck and the right wing media is spouting out.

I will not be voting for Romney but then again I do not vote for anyone that I do not fully support. I feel that people that vote for lesser evils is part of Americas problem and why we continue down this same old path. I do not believe in playing politics with my vote.

I will not be voting for Romney but then again I do not vote for anyone that I do not fully support. I feel that people that vote for lesser evils is part of Americas problem and why we continue down this same old path. I do not believe in playing politics with my vote.

But I see that you will be voting, and THAT is the right way to do it. IMHO, those who stay home and don't vote don't deserve to bitch, since they decided not to be a part of the process, and pick SOMEONE, no matter how slim his chances are to win. At least, by voting, you ARE making your voice heard, and I can respect the hell out of that.

I will not vote for any republican

Do other conservatives feel the same way?.

I feel similar. I will not vote for any republican.Most likely if Romney or Gingrich wins the primary I will either vote for a 3rd party candidate or not vote for president at all. If the republicans have the nerve to run Romney and Gingrich on the same ticket I will vote for Obama just for the republicans having the audacity to run those two together. Regardless of such I will vote in other elections and ballot issues that may be going on that day.

Fair enough. I'll say that as a person with half a brain, I refuse to vote for Michele Bachmann. In fact, if she ever runs to be my Senator, I will not vote for her.

As a staunch centrist, I will vote for Romney. I will choose Romney over Obama, just as I chose Obama over McCain. I cannot say the same for most of the rest of the Republican field.

I won't sit out the election, but I won't be voting for Romney if that is who the GOP puts up as their candidate. I will go 3rd party. I may go 3rd party if it is Gingrich as well, I will have to see how the campaign goes. I am no longer a registered republican anyway, so I have no allegiance to the party. I am still likely to vote for a majority of republicans in general, but as far as the POTUS election, its not looking likely that I will be voting for the GOP candidate.

Here is the problem with that - By voting the lesser of two evils, there is no incentive for the Democratic and Republican parties to change their thieving ways. Sure, the Libertarian party will only get about 5% of the vote, but the GOP can say to itself "If that vote goes to us, we can win". But, until they mend their ways, that 5% stays off the table for them. I, for one, am not going to whore my vote out to a party that stopped representing me more than a decade ago.

The libertarian party hasn't gained 5% of the vote even if you combine the votes they've managed to get over the past 20 years of elections.

Just heard this on the local news today - Huntsman, Bachmann and Santorum didn't get enough signatures to even get on the Virginia GOP primary. Don't know about other states yet.

Now I have no clue who I'll vote for in the primary.

I'll hold my nose and vote for Romney. I can't NOT vote and I'd have to amputate the arm that would vote for Obama, so I really don't have a choice if it came down to it.

Gingrich and Huntsman have the best chance. But the rest have a good chance, except for Romney.

I agree huntsman...but not Gingrich..the entire gop establishment is against him...he is no doubt a great debater and speaker...better than obama...but obama has more ammo against gingrich than anyone else.
I just find it peculiar you would think romney would lose by the biggest landslide ever....

Single issue voters are interesting. Usually you hear that from Ron Paul supporters, but sometimes others do. The most common issue those others tend to pick as the single issue is abortion, one side of it or the other. They can't vote for someone in favor of killing babies OR can't vote for someone taking away women's control of their own bodies.
I can't vote for anyone that doesn't offer economic and military support for The Southern Ethiopian People's Democratic Movement. I also couldn't vote for anyone who eats pizza with a fork. :cool:

A lot of one issue, right wing voters do seem to pick abortion as their one issue... but Romney isn't really very pro life so I wouldn't count on their support... lol. oh ****, guess they going to have to consider more substantive issues for once.

President Obama thanks you for your support

I won't sit out the election, but I won't be voting for Romney if that is who the GOP puts up as their candidate. I will go 3rd party. I may go 3rd party if it is Gingrich as well, I will have to see how the campaign goes. I am no longer a registered republican anyway, so I have no allegiance to the party. I am still likely to vote for a majority of republicans in general, but as far as the POTUS election, its not looking likely that I will be voting for the GOP candidate.

Another thank you from President Obama

I have to disagree with you on that. Romney has positioned himself as the most sane, or should I say least insane, of all the GOP candidates. He is more of a moderate, so has a chance with Independents, who the Republicans need if they are to have a chance knocking Obama off. My opinion is that, should anybody but Romney win the nomination, you will have that landslide for the Democrats, but Romney does stand a chance in the general election.

agreed

One thing I commend the dems for is they support their party's candidate. I know tons of Hillary supporters who were (and rightfully so) livid that a clown like Obama with a resume thinner than a postage stamp was given kid glove treatment by a fawning press and was able to beat their candidate, but these Hillary supporters rallied around Obama. The GOP has a bunch of turds like Buchanan who lose in the primaries and then tries to be a spoiler and run as independents. If you want to run as an independent you should not compete in the primaries

Now I have no clue who I'll vote for in the primary.

I truly don't know why any of the 3 let this happen. If its any consolation, I do believe Huntsman was the best of the bunch.

On the bright side there is the possibility he was hanging in as long as he could to get name recognition for a run in 2016. I feel that is a strong possibility.

Pretty much articulates why the Republicans are going to have to wait until at least 2016.

Im a moderate republican and I would never vote for Ron Paul....he frightens me

I'm a liberal Republican and I think that unless any other politicians campaign for it Ron Paul is the only way we can start reducing the corruption between Big Business, Congress, and Big Media.

There are a lot of things that I disagree with Ron Paul about. But I'm also tired of establishment politicians voting for things like FISA, the PATRIOT Act, NDAA 2012 and SOPA. And I don't know of any American voter who is in favor of those latter two laws.

But the House, the Senate, and even President Obama aren't listening to the concerns of the people on these issues. Rather, they're listening to whatever lobbyists pay them to listen to. So our liberties and freedoms are being sold off to the highest bidder.

And it's got to stop somewhere.

And even if Ron Paul doesn't win the presidency doesn't mean something good can come of it. What a Ron Paul candidacy could do is realign the political parties so that the Republican Party gets an influx of populist civil libertarians. True, there will be a liberal faction who are civil libertarians but are social and economic liberals.

But right now neither party is taking a stance on civil liberties and if something isn't done - and I mean really done, not just campaigned on - then there are going to be some pissed off populist movements that are going to continue and possibly even escalate.

Which, I think, many in Congress and the White House know which is why they sought the powers to detain American citizens indefinitely using military force.

Sure man, vote with your heart. I just hope your head realizes that voting for a fringe candidate like Santorum, Bachmann, Paul, perhaps Perry at this point doesn't really achieve anything. :shrug:

Actually, I think that Ron Paul could pull on independents and even some Democrats who are disaffected with the corruption of big business and lobbyists in D.C.

After all, Obama hasn't done anything about it, and the other GOP candidates aren't speaking out about it either.

Actually, I think that Ron Paul could pull on independents and even some Democrats who are disaffected with the corruption of big business and lobbyists in D.C.

After all, Obama hasn't done anything about it, and the other GOP candidates aren't speaking out about it either.

Of course not. They are all pigs at the trough.

Sure man, vote with your heart. I just hope your head realizes that voting for a fringe candidate like Santorum, Bachmann, Paul, perhaps Perry at this point doesn't really achieve anything. :shrug:

Let's say that Ron Paul does become the candidate. And let's say that he doesn't win the presidency.

Okay. Fine.

But what else can a Ron Paul candidacy do?

It can force these issues of government overreach of civil liberties and civil rights to be talked about on a wider platform that the political, business, and media establishments refuse to even recognize. Or that the rest of the Republican Party or even the Democratic Party refuses to recognize.

And once these issues come out in a run against Obama it can popularize these issues and we can get politicians who advocate real serious change despite the money spent to prevent that change.

So there is still a lot of good in a Ron Paul candidacy even if he loses the election to Obama. Because, let's face it, an Obama presidency won't be that much different from a Romney presidency or a Gingrich presidency anyways. Wanna know why?

Because all of them will listen to whatever their advisers tell them. And their advisers are only going to tell the President, no matter who it is, whatever the highest bidder tells them to say.

But with a Ron Paul candidacy now it could cause a trend to a realignment that will popularize anti-corruption politicians and will help them get elected in later elections.

Let's say that Ron Paul does become the candidate. And let's say that he doesn't win the presidency.

Okay. Fine.

But what else can a Ron Paul candidacy do?

It can force these issues of government overreach of civil liberties and civil rights to be talked about on a wider platform that the political, business, and media establishments refuse to even recognize. Or that the rest of the Republican Party or even the Democratic Party refuses to recognize.

And once these issues come out in a run against Obama it can popularize these issues and we can get politicians who advocate real serious change despite the money spent to prevent that change.

So there is still a lot of good in a Ron Paul candidacy even if he loses the election to Obama. Because, let's face it, an Obama presidency won't be that much different from a Romney presidency or a Gingrich presidency anyways. Wanna know why?

Because all of them will listen to whatever their advisers tell them. And their advisers are only going to tell the President, no matter who it is, whatever the highest bidder tells them to say.

But with a Ron Paul candidacy now it could cause a trend to a realignment that will popularize anti-corruption politicians and will help them get elected in later elections.

I'd say most of these points are moot because a candidate like Ron Paul is never going to appeal to enough voters to win anything significant in the primaries. Even if he became President, he couldn't fulfill half the promises he makes without becoming a complete dictator.

Back
Top Bottom