• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How Rex Tillerson Turned The State Department Into a Ghost Ship

Bad ... wanting?

There seems to widespread unpreparedness throughout the Executive Branch.
But, it could all be a part of Trump's Columbo-like genius

https://twitter.com/AishaS/status/885891831082438657/photo/1

"In the packet for new Americans, the welcome letter from POTUS is from Obama."

attachment.php

Last edited:
Bad comparison. The State Department is in fact still functioning. The car you describe wouldn't be considered as functioning.

What substantiation would you bring to the discussion otherwise? I'm willing to consider it. I may amend my position / opinion.
What part of the duties of the Department of State are going wanting?

That question of yours, "What part of the duties of the Department of State are going wanting?" seems to be a difficult and complex question. Maybe it's unfair.

Thanks for the link, but it's not compelling IMO. Understandingly, it's a list of State and MSM patting themselves on the back. I spent enough time in the US Army to understand how that works.

I would say including Ukraine, Libya and a few other places and events would balance the list out a bit.

That question of yours, "What part of the duties of the Department of State are going wanting?" seems to be a difficult and complex question. Maybe it's unfair.

Unfair how? It would seem to be a legitimate question to ask.

Of course the idea that the State Department was previously overstaffed and over burdened with expensive bureaucrats, and that it was time for a house cleaning and a staff optimization just isn't possible in the least, right?

Yes! Because running the county is easy, just like Trump said. Healthcare is easy, foreign policy is easy...All you need is a good looking businessman. who just know how to cuss everyone out and show all those fat cat D.C. bureaucrats how it's done. Heck, he will repeal and replace Obamacare the first day in office, and the world will respect America again, right?

9 charts on how the world sees Trump | Pew Research Center

Last edited:

-----------
Rather, many of the state department officials set to depart in the coming days are responsible for bread-and-butter diplomatic and bureaucratic work that benefits all Americans and should be beyond the reach of politics. They oversaw the production of 19 million U.S. passports last year, the second highest annual total in American history. They helped return some 300 children abducted abroad to their rightful American parents. They are responsible for arranging visas for foreign nationals who come to the United States to do business or spend tourism dollars. They oversee security for more than 275 diplomatic posts overseas. They executed the decision to close Russian diplomatic facilities in response to interference in our election. They make good on our commitment to transparency by processing an unprecedented volume of document requests under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). And they arrange for the evacuation of American citizens amid, for example, medical emergencies or burgeoning foreign crises.
Trump Is Already Damaging the Ability of the State Department to Function | Foreign Policy

How Rex Tillerson Turned The State Department Into a Ghost Ship

By Bob Dreyfuss - 5 hours ago

Rex Tillerson Turned the State Department Into a Ghost Ship - Rolling Stone

When Donald Trump tapped Rex Tillerson, then CEO of ExxonMobil, to serve as secretary of state, expectations weren't high. With zero experience in government or diplomacy, Tillerson got the job after winning the support of Steve Bannon, the iconoclastic former Breitbart News chief, and Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law. From the start, he was widely panned for his close ties to the Russian oil industry, including one deal worth a reported $500 billion, and questions were raised about Tillerson's lack of familiarity about tensions with North Korea, the war in Afghanistan, the battle against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, or the Arab-Israeli problem.

Perhaps, then, Tillerson would find smart people to help him along? Well, no. Six months after taking office, Tillerson's State Department is populated by ghosts, with office after office empty, top positions unfilled, key ambassadorships unnamed. Under Tillerson's uncertain leadership, America's diplomatic expertise – its ability to bring experience to bear on knotty international problems, its facility for reconciling warring parties and conflicts from the Middle East to Asia – has been decimated. And that has given the upper hand to the Pentagon. Whereas Trump and Tillerson have announced plans to cut the budget of the State Department by one-third, the White House is seeking a bump of $54 billion for the Department of Defense.

"The militarization of everything is kind of taking place," Max Bergmann, a former senior State Department official under President Obama, tells Rolling Stone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Trump is preparing America for ENDLESS WARS :doh

'Make America Go To War & Kill Off Our Troops Again' :eek:uch:

Looks like you're right, wonder what's got him occupied? Hmmmm.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-administration-appointee-tracker/database/

correct, as I previously stated based on materials I have read

Trump has NO INTENTION to staff these positions

You can't know what his intensions are.

it's pretty obvious Trump has every intention of destroying DC & America

he's off to a great ****ing start

Wow, you really have him figured out! NOT.

With 30% or more of the appointees traditionally going to campaign donors...perhaps we dont NEED an Ambassador to Luxembourg?

I have noticed that State Department leaks have stopped.

The leaks weren't coming from the State Department....they're coming from the WH....and no, they haven't stopped.

The leaks weren't coming from the State Department....they're coming from the WH....and no, they haven't stopped.

They were. They have stopped, along with the foot dragging anybody sentient noticed when State was tasked with producing documentation or vetting documents under the Obama administration.

They were. They have stopped, along with the foot dragging anybody sentient noticed when State was tasked with producing documentation or vetting documents under the Obama administration.

Nope...the leaks are still coming...from the White House.

Senate panel alarmed by frequency of White House leaks | New York Post

Trump admits White House staff is source of damaging leaks | TheHill

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/kellyanne-conway-white-house-leaks/

NBC Reporter: This White House Leaks Like No | The Daily Caller

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I'm talking about State - the topic here - and those leaks have stopped.

Since Trump took office most if not all the leaks have been coming from the WH. So your point is moot.

Yes! Because running the county is easy, just like Trump said. Healthcare is easy, foreign policy is easy...All you need is a good looking businessman. who just know how to cuss everyone out and show all those fat cat D.C. bureaucrats how it's done. Heck, he will repeal and replace Obamacare the first day in office, and the world will respect America again, right?

9 charts on how the world sees Trump | Pew Research Center

What does Trump's statements have to do with whether the Department of State is adequately staffed or not? Oh, right. NOTHING. :roll:
(Keep bitchin')

Wow. Imagine that. Trump's nominations are being treated worse than Obama's. Yet more new lows set by congressional Democrats.

I wonder how much they are going to like this treatment when it comes back around at them next time around. Oh, I'm sure it'll be all 'Racist!' and 'Sexist!' and 'Bigots!' - as it usually is from them.

The Democrats in congress are forcing the 'race to the bottom', aren't they?

Wow. Imagine that. Trump's nominations are being treated worse than Obama's. Yet more new lows set by congressional Democrats.

They may indeed be treated worse, than Obama's.

But evidence indicates that the Dem's reluctance is only a contributing factor.
The main source of the problem is el Trumpo's Admin.

Obama had sent about 400+ appointees
And Trumpo has sent only about half of that.

attachment.php

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-administration-appointee-tracker/database/

:shrug:

What you gonna do?

You're physically unable to stop supporting Trump now.
You're unable to change your mind.
So, what can you do, but figure out how Trumpo's failure to send nominees to Congress is a sign is strength rather than failure.

Feel free to pontificate about how Trumpo's inaction is actually good for America.

They may indeed be treated worse, than Obama's.

But evidence indicates that the Dem's reluctance is only a contributing factor.
The main source of the problem is el Trumpo's Admin.

Obama had sent about 400+ appointees
And Trumpo has sent only about half of that.

attachment.php

:shrug:

What you gonna do?

You're physically unable to stop supporting Trump now.
You're unable to change your mind.
So, what can you do, but figure out how Trumpo's failure to send nominees to Congress is a sign is strength rather than failure.

Feel free to pontificate about how Trumpo's inaction is actually good for America.

I dunno about "physically unable to stop supporting Trump". When Trump does something I agree with, I'll support him. When he doesn't, I won't.

Just because there were so many people and position previously doesn't mean there needs to be so many people and positions now, nor that all those people and positions are warranted. I don't see how a smaller government, consuming less money, less overhead, is necessarily a bad thing. I'm more of the mind that it was high time that it was trimmed down.

Trump's Leaner White House Payroll Projected To Save Taxpayers $22 Million
If the White House payroll is a leading indicator of the president’s commitment to shrink government then voters have a reason to cheer. Projected four-year savings on the White House payroll could top $22 million. Savings come from President Trump’s refusal to take a salary as well as big reductions in other areas including the absence of czars, expensive “fellowships,” and spending on FLOTUS staff.

On Friday, the Trump administration released their annual report to Congress on White House Office Personnel. It includes the name, status, salary and position title of all 377 White House employees. (Search the recent Trump administration payroll data – and last two-years of the Obama administration - posted at OpenTheBooks.com.)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/adaman...ayroll-projected-to-save-taxpayers-22-million

At least Trump is leading by example.

I wonder how much they are going to like this treatment when it comes back around at them next time around. Oh, I'm sure it'll be all 'Racist!' and 'Sexist!' and 'Bigots!' - as it usually is from them.

The Democrats in congress are forcing the 'race to the bottom', aren't they?

Democrats are mind-numbed mouthfoaming robots.

Back
Top Bottom