• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Has diversity benefited the USA?

Has ethnic/racial/cultural/religious diversity benefited the USA?

• Yes, people are happier and the country is better than ever in history

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • No, people are angrier with escalating conflicts and problems

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Yes and No. It depends which demographic you are

Votes: 20 18.3%
  • Other

Votes: 21 19.3%

• Total voters
Without diversity there would not be a United States. The United States is diversity become a country/nation/people.

Not really! The colonists were WASP supremacists who without moral qualms drove the Indians over the mountains
establishing a society of white men & women along side of African slaves. 180 years later when
Washington became president & the USA became a country of states with a constitution.
The combination of states harbored a population that was still 99% protestant.

Later during the 19th century this vast country was populated almost entirely British, Irish,
German & Dutch afterwards because of expansion west those from Eastern Europe &
Italy enhanced the population. All the newcomers were European, all were white &
nearly all were christian. The 'melting pot' was about the abolition of 'diversity'
& the Americanization of immigrants.

Hardly resembling what's going on with immigration in these times.

Last edited:
Not really! The colonists were WASP supremacists who without moral qualms drove the Indians over the mountains
establishing a society of white men & women along side of African slaves. 180 years later when Washing became president
the combination of states harbored a population that was 99% protestant.

Later during the 19th century this vast country was populated almost entirely British, Irish, German & Dutch & because of expansion
those from Eastern Europe & Italy enhanced the population. All the newcomers were European, all were white &
nearly all were christian. The 'melting pot' was about the abolition of 'diversity' & the Americanization of immigrants.

I see where you are going with this, and I generally agree. I do wonder if it would be a bit more accurate to call early settlers separatist, rather than supremacist. Society's melding is a fairly new concept when considered over the long history of peoples, isn't it?
Regards,
CP

Diversity sucks. I agree.

We should send the Blacks back to Africa.

Send the Hispanics back to Mexico and points South

Send the Whites back to Europe; the Asians back to Asia

And, let's just give the place back to the grizzly bears and elk. :roll:

Oh, a grizzly lover, eh? Send them back too, I say! Put 'em all in a boat back to...where did they come from anyway?
Regards,
CP

That's not true. Hardly the case! The first waves of European immigrants in the 20th Century were massively more "diverse" than from each other or other Americans. Way more than any immigrant today; or even how the United States looks today.

Back then English was not a worldly language taught in the education systems of other countries. Where nearly all non-UK immigrants had zero familiarity with the English language.

Back then Catholics and Protests joined gangs and fought bloody warfare with each other because of religious "differences."

Back then the Irish, Italians and other Southern Europeans were viewed as different, lesser races.

Back then American culture did not have worldwide hegemony: Where you could not go to a bar in rural Thailand and be greeted by Lady Gaga singing her heart out. (... and I can personally vouch for how American Hollywood culture is consumed and celebrated even in the farthest-flung corners of the world.)

Back then, before smartphones, the internet, airline travel, international news organizations (BBC, CNN, Al Jazeera, etc.), Skyping and all the things that allow even a child to meet or visit people from around the world, there was no way for an immigrant to be familiar with or understand a country he/she was moving too.

And back before all the things you mention, I'm guessing the native american indians thought diversity was a good idea and then us next generation americans showed them what's what. Killing off a native population in the name of diversity seems, shallow.

Being constrained by bandwidth of this website, I can only site a few examples of how diversity has benefited this country. There are literally thousands of examples.

Contributions to our space program;
Katherine Johnson an African-American mathematician whose calculations of orbital mechanics as a NASA employee were critical to the success of the first and subsequent U.S. manned spaceflights. Johnson's work included calculating trajectories, launch windows and emergency return paths for Project Mercury spaceflights, including those of astronauts Alan Shepard, the first American in space, and John Glenn, the first American in orbit, and rendezvous paths for the Apollo lunar lander and command module on flights to the Moon. Her calculations were also essential to the beginning of the Space Shuttle program.

Contributions to Medicine;
Henrietta Lacks. was an African-American woman who unwittingly contributed to medical science and paved the way for current day cancer treatments and more. Henrietta Lacks was a victim of two things, cancer and medicine. At the time, The Johns Hopkins Hospital was one of only a few hospitals to treat poor African-Americans. Dr. Gey, a research scientist at Johns Hopkins, discovered that Mrs. Lacks’ cancer cells were unlike any of the others he had ever seen: where other cells would die, Mrs. Lacks' cells doubled every 20 to 24 hours. He never got the consent of Henrietta Lacks or her family to use and to sell these cells to researchers all over the world. Today, these incredible cells— nicknamed "HeLa" cells, from the first two letters of her first and last names — are used to study the effects of toxins, drugs, hormones and viruses on the growth of cancer cells without experimenting on humans. They have been used to test the effects of radiation and poisons, to study the human genome, to learn more about how viruses work, and played a crucial role in the development of the polio vaccine. Although Mrs. Lacks ultimately passed away on October 4, 1951, at the age of 31, her cells continue to impact the world.

Mario J. Molina
was the first Mexican-born scientist to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Mario Molina discovered the serious environmental threat posed by chlorofluorocarbon gases (CFCs). Along with fellow chemist Sherwood Rowland, Molina found that CFCs—chemicals commonly used as refrigerants, and colloquially known as Freon—released into the atmosphere were contributing to ozone depletion.

Albert Baez
, father of singers Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña, Mexican-American physicist Albert Baez was the co-inventor of the X-ray reflection microscope. Though he created the device, which allows scientist to examine living cells, in 1948, it’s still considered a crucial scientific tool to this day.

Ted Taylor, born in Mexico City was a Nuclear physicist who worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in the 1940s and 1950s, where he helped design small nuclear weapons and reactors, as well as the Super Oralloy Bomb, which was the largest pure fission bomb ever detonated.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
was the predominant leader in the Civil Rights Movement to end racial segregation and discrimination in America during the 1950s and 1960s and a leading spokesperson for nonviolent methods of achieving social change. Happy Birthday!

Michael Jordan
- does anyone need to say any more about Michael Jordan?
Tiger Woods - same thing

Last edited:
And back before all the things you mention, I'm guessing the native american indians thought diversity was a good idea and then us next generation americans showed them what's what. Killing off a native population in the name of diversity seems, shallow.

There are a lot of "back then's" co-joined in the post. Killing off a native population wasn't an one time exercise. It took place gradually and for differing reasons, none of which were meant to benefit the native population. In the interest of accuracy and neutrality about a thing I couldn't control; American Indians weren't peacefully demonstrating against our determination to populate the new world. There were several massacres of European settlements. Had those massacres not occurred, maybe we would have benefitted more from diversity. It is true native Americans( called that I guess because they migrated here first?) were pushed off some lands, but consider imminent domain.
Regards,
CP

Being constrained by bandwidth of this website, I can only site a few examples of how diversity has benefited this country. There are literally thousands of examples.

Contributions to our space program;
Katherine Johnson an African-American mathematician whose calculations of orbital mechanics as a NASA employee were critical to the success of the first and subsequent U.S. manned spaceflights. Johnson's work included calculating trajectories, launch windows and emergency return paths for Project Mercury spaceflights, including those of astronauts Alan Shepard, the first American in space, and John Glenn, the first American in orbit, and rendezvous paths for the Apollo lunar lander and command module on flights to the Moon. Her calculations were also essential to the beginning of the Space Shuttle program.

Contributions to Medicine;
Henrietta Lacks. was an African-American woman who unwittingly contributed to medical science and paved the way for current day cancer treatments and more. Henrietta Lacks was a victim of two things, cancer and medicine. At the time, The Johns Hopkins Hospital was one of only a few hospitals to treat poor African-Americans. Dr. Gey, a research scientist at Johns Hopkins, discovered that Mrs. Lacks’ cancer cells were unlike any of the others he had ever seen: where other cells would die, Mrs. Lacks' cells doubled every 20 to 24 hours. He never got the consent of Henrietta Lacks or her family to use and to sell these cells to researchers all over the world. Today, these incredible cells— nicknamed "HeLa" cells, from the first two letters of her first and last names — are used to study the effects of toxins, drugs, hormones and viruses on the growth of cancer cells without experimenting on humans. They have been used to test the effects of radiation and poisons, to study the human genome, to learn more about how viruses work, and played a crucial role in the development of the polio vaccine. Although Mrs. Lacks ultimately passed away on October 4, 1951, at the age of 31, her cells continue to impact the world.

Mario J. Molina
was the first Mexican-born scientist to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry, Mario Molina discovered the serious environmental threat posed by chlorofluorocarbon gases (CFCs). Along with fellow chemist Sherwood Rowland, Molina found that CFCs—chemicals commonly used as refrigerants, and colloquially known as Freon—released into the atmosphere were contributing to ozone depletion.

Albert Baez
, father of singers Joan Baez and Mimi Fariña, Mexican-American physicist Albert Baez was the co-inventor of the X-ray reflection microscope. Though he created the device, which allows scientist to examine living cells, in 1948, it’s still considered a crucial scientific tool to this day.

Ted Taylor, born in Mexico City was a Nuclear physicist who worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in the 1940s and 1950s, where he helped design small nuclear weapons and reactors, as well as the Super Oralloy Bomb, which was the largest pure fission bomb ever detonated.

Martin Luther King, Jr.
was the predominant leader in the Civil Rights Movement to end racial segregation and discrimination in America during the 1950s and 1960s and a leading spokesperson for nonviolent methods of achieving social change. Happy Birthday!

Michael Jordan
- does anyone need to say any more about Michael Jordan?
Tiger Woods - same thing

I guess you really do have a band width problem. In 200+ years, this is your list? You say thousands, but list 8. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, what? I'm amazed you didn't mention Oprah. I won't argue diversity hasn't helped the US, that would be foolish, but your list does nothing to make the case. It almost diminishes it. What of Crispus Attucks? He was an American hero and long before Tiger or MJ..
Regards,
CP

I guess you really do have a band width problem. In 200+ years, this is your list? You say thousands, but list 8. Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, what? I'm amazed you didn't mention Oprah. I won't argue diversity hasn't helped the US, that would be foolish, but your list does nothing to make the case. It almost diminishes it. What of Crispus Attucks? He was an American hero and long before Tiger or MJ..
Regards,
CP

I think what I said was perfectly clear. "There are literally thousands of examples."
I won't apologize to Oprah Winfey for overlooking her in favor of scientists that made contributions to all of mankind.

I think what I said was perfectly clear. "There are literally thousands of examples."
I won't apologize to Oprah Winfey for overlooking her in favor of scientists that made contributions to all of mankind.

You mean of course the 3 1/2 scientist, in which you included a patient as a somehow contributor to science, that you mentioned in a list of 8(literally thousands.?) No, you don't owe her an apology. You left out a lot more important people than her.
Regards,
CP

You mean of course the 3 1/2 scientist, in which you included a patient as a somehow contributor to science, that you mentioned in a list of 8(literally thousands.?) No, you don't owe her an apology. You left out a lot more important people than her.
Regards,
CP

"somehow contributing to science" ?

She most certainly contributed much more than you'll ever understand. Nevertheless, she and her family were robbed of the millions upon million of dollars profited from the sale of her HeLa cancer cells. Cells that were sold to countries all around the world. Because she was African-American living in a segregated state, she was treated as a non-person with no rights. There possibly has been no other person living or dead, past or present that has contributed so much to cancer research and the development of cancer fighting drugs than Henrietta Lacks. I know you would prefer to disregard her gift to mankind because she took no credit or glory for it. As was then the practice, no consent was obtained to culture her cells, nor were she or her family compensated for their extraction or use. The 'immortal' HeLa cells have been sold by the billions. Don't doubt for one second that this woman has helped more people with a cancer diagnosis than any other person known to science. Jonas Salk was using HeLa cells in his research to develop the Polio Vaccine.

I remember the Polio epidemic in the United States, I lived through that Polio epidemic. Did you?

All the great seafaring countries of western Europe had their sphere of influence in the new world.
France annexed territories in Haiti, Quebec & New Orleans & later the Louisiana Territory by the end of 19th
century they were finished. The Dutch dominated by the British settled in NY, NJ & Connecticut & the West Indies.
Portugal's primary sphere influence was & is Brazil & the Spanish ruled much of South & Central America for centuries.

There is a reason why world wide the areas colonized by the British turned out to be the paradise over the water where all desire to
immigrate to USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand. While those areas colonized by other imperialistic nations are not so
much of a desirable destination for immigrants, with the possible exception of Argentina which to this day is
the most homogenous country in the continent still with 90% European ancestry comparable to the
way the USA used to be before the 'glorious age of diversity.

Last edited:

She most certainly contributed much more than you'll ever understand. Nevertheless, she and her family were robbed of the millions upon million of dollars profited from the sale of her HeLa cancer cells. Cells that were sold to countries all around the world. Because she was African-American living in a segregated state, she was treated as a non-person with no rights. There possibly has been no other person living or dead, past or present that has contributed so much to cancer research and the development of cancer fighting drugs than Henrietta Lacks. I know you would prefer to disregard her gift to mankind because she took no credit or glory for it. As was then the practice, no consent was obtained to culture her cells, nor were she or her family compensated for their extraction or use. The 'immortal' HeLa cells have been sold by the billions. Don't doubt for one second that this woman has helped more people with a cancer diagnosis than any other person known to science. Jonas Salk was using HeLa cells in his research to develop the Polio Vaccine.

I remember the Polio epidemic in the United States, I lived through that Polio epidemic. Did you?

I certainly did. I've got the scar to prove it. I must include here the word you used unwittingly I understand your confusion. You mention cancer, then speak of Jonas Salk. I will no longer dismiss her, as her legacy seems important to you and I have reason to trouble you, Sorry if I have.
I just ask that when you consider contribution to our great country, you include first those who contributed knowingly and with regard more for their country than themselves. There are thousands of them, all colors, all stripes!
Regards,
CP

All the great seafaring countries of western Europe had their sphere of influence in the new world.
France annexed territories in Haiti, Quebec & New Orleans & later the Louisiana Territory by the end of 19th
century they were finished. The Dutch dominated by the British settled in NY, NJ & Connecticut & the West Indies.
Portugal's primary sphere influence was & is Brazil & the Spanish ruled much of South & Central America for centuries.

There is a reason why world wide the areas colonized by the British turned out to be the paradise over the water where all desire to
immigrate to USA, Canada, Australia & New Zealand. While those areas colonized by other imperialistic nations are not so
much of a desirable destination for immigrants.

:lol: I am absolutely sure you believe that nonsense.

much of a desirable destination for immigrants.

Slick, you understand you've opened yourself to all manner of history revision blather from the fairy tale folk among us.
Good luck, stay strong!
Regards,
CP

I certainly did. I've got the scar to prove it. I must include here the word you used unwittingly I understand your confusion. You mention cancer, then speak of Jonas Salk. I will no longer dismiss her, as her legacy seems important to you and I have reason to trouble you, Sorry if I have.
I just ask that when you consider contribution to our great country, you include first those who contributed knowingly and with regard more for their country than themselves. There are thousands of them, all colors, all stripes!
Regards,
CP

Perhaps if you read it more thoroughly, it was clearly explained in my comment that the HeLa cells were used both for cancer research AND Dr. Jonas Salk used them to develop the Polio vaccine.

Some of the greatest humans who ever lived were abused the worst by unsaved sinners having no respect for other humans with civilized morals, values, and good godly characters.

Perhaps if you read it more thoroughly, it was clearly explained in my comment that the HeLa cells were used both for cancer research AND Dr. Jonas Salk used them to develop the Polio vaccine.

I did read it, and I explained that if that is important to you, I have no desire to go further with it. I am not trying to irritate you. I just measure things a bit differently than you seem. If I catch the flu and they use my cells to cure cancer, the mange, or whooping cough, I wouldn't consider myself a hero. Perhaps, if it were you, you would want yourself on a list of those contributing to science.
I am sorry we got off to this aside.
Regards,
CP

Well then... since it hasn't happened to you i doubt it has happened to any of the other 150 million or so males either...

Wait!

Wait...

...it has happened to me. I have had black women yell at me in a Whiteness Studies class that I was racist because I was white and that I was oppressive because I was a man. I have also been insulted by dyke lesbian man hating bitches several times while I was waiting tables that I was bad because I was a man... for no reason, just bitches that needed to get **** off their chest... and the professor that got mad at me when I disagreed that I was not racist simply for being a white man... etc. That is being villified. Others have it far worse... and some have a fairy tale life... Like You! :lol: ;)

Judging from your aggressive demeanor, I'd guess they may have had a reason to insult you. (duh)

I did read it, and I explained that if that is important to you, I have no desire to go further with it. I am not trying to irritate you. I just measure things a bit differently than you seem. If I catch the flu and they use my cells to cure cancer, the mange, or whooping cough, I wouldn't consider myself a hero. Perhaps, if it were you, you would want yourself on a list of those contributing to science.
I am sorry we got off to this aside.
Regards,
CP

Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was asking for. "Has diversity benefited the USA?" Specific to the question, I unquestioningly confirm that 'yes' diversity has greatly benefited the USA.

Judging from your aggressive demeanor, I'd guess they may have had a reason to insult you. (duh)

What is aggressive about describing a person... I bet if I said that some man was a ****ing asshole to me for no reason while I was waiting tables and was a total dick you would have no problem with that one.... that said, as a professional waiter in a 5 star restaurant, I am nothing but polite... I was perfectly kind and polite to them the entire time... because that is how you make fat tips and keep your job... even as the dismissed me and ignored me... but you want to justify assholes treating a nice person poorly because that is part of your agenda... defend women... screw men... even if the woman is the abuser. Nice attitutde... duh.

Maybe I misunderstood what the OP was asking for. "Has diversity benefited the USA?" Specific to the question, I unquestioningly confirm that 'yes' diversity has greatly benefited the USA.

..as did I. Diversity isn't a choice, if one is to live in a multicultural, multiracial world and forward looking society.
Regards,
CP

Strange, you are willing to accept that this man had it coming. You never did address the women or others who disrespected him for being white, and giving his perspective. Oh, that's right, only the races you select can be insulted. For just one moment, I fantasized I was living in an equitable world. You need to feel shame for writing such a slanted and inconsiderate(of all peoples) post. I feel shame for you.
Bodhisattva = you did not deserve that treatment and I and people of total conscience are with you! There needs to be a stop to hating on the Caucasian! if everyone will stop hate, maybe hate will go away.
Regards,
CP

What is aggressive about describing a person... I bet if I said that some man was a ****ing asshole to me for no reason while I was waiting tables and was a total dick you would have no problem with that one.... that said, as a professional waiter in a 5 star restaurant, I am nothing but polite... I was perfectly kind and polite to them the entire time... because that is how you make fat tips and keep your job... even as the dismissed me and ignored me... but you want to justify assholes treating a nice person poorly because that is part of your agenda... defend women... screw men... even if the woman is the abuser. Nice attitutde... duh.

Uh-huh :neutral:

Back
Top Bottom