• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hagia Sophia - church or mosque or museum? What should it be?

Hagia Sophia - church or mosque or museum? What should it be?

• church

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • mosque

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • museum

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • something else

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no opinion

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
Some more info:

It is an ancient monument revered by different ideologies for centuries.

Turkey's Hagia Sofia - one of the world's most contested buildings - is creating controversy once again.

It was the largest Christian cathedral in the Eastern Roman Empire for 1,000 years.

Now, one of the busiest tourist attractions in Istanbul is a museum.

But not for much longer, if Turkey's government gets the go-ahead to convert it back into a mosque as it was during the Ottoman Empire.

The proposal has been opposed by some secular groups as well as the head of the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Greek government and the United States.

Turkey's highest consultative body met on Thursday and said it will announce its ruling within 15 days.

Will Hagia Sophia become a mosque again? | Europe | Al Jazeera

Question:

Has none of you ever heard of the famous Hagia Sophia?

Maybe some think it is one of those "parochial" German churches? :cool:

25 views and only one vote.

Is anything that happens outside the US so un-interesting to you?
A pity.

Here is a video.

Btw: The Hagia Sophia is situated in Turkey.

Not in some parochial German village,

The whole area was Christian back then and the Muslim raiders took entire countries,
It was always the custom of Islam, to turn the Christian churches into Mosques.

1 x church
1 x museum

A pity.

There, I voted... sorry your thread is not catching on, I've heard of the Hagia Sophia, I'm just not all that opinionated on the status of buildings in countries I don't plan on visiting. :shrug:

There, I voted... sorry your thread is not catching on, I've heard of the Hagia Sophia, I'm just not all that opinionated on the status of buildings in countries I don't plan on visiting. :shrug:

I do not plan on visiting Turkey either. :cool:

I do not plan on visiting Turkey either. :cool:

Cool... I mean, I'd love to go, my father went a few years back, and found it to be extremely welcoming and interesting. I guess I've just got other destinations on my bucket list, so for me it's a matter of prioritization. If I win the lottery, I'd probably make it there, but even still, cities hold less interest to me than the rural areas or seaside, if applicable.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll figure out what to do with this old building...and I'm sure it'll still be available for people to check it out, no matter what it becomes.

Let the people of Turkey decide. Just like the majority of Americans should decide the fate of American historical monuments, not the priviliged few backed by rioting mobs who burn things down if they don't get their way.

Exactly...it's none of our business nor should it be...

Now 3 out of 7 say: museum :)

Exactly...it's none of our business nor should it be...

What is our business anyway?
Not much.

But we may have an opinion on things.
And I doubt that dear Erdogan will obey our opinion.

:cool:

Btw: How do you oronounce Hagia?

As "aya" or as "hagia"?

I still say "hagia".

Somebody aks this question as well:

Hagia Sophia pronunciation

Apologies if this has been asked before. I just don't understand how or why Wiki says it is pronounced "aya sofia" I'm not confused on the silent "h" due to the smooth breathing in the beginning. But the Greek spelling clearly has a "gamma" in there, Αγία Σοφία. I've heard English speakers pronounce it this way and also "Hagia Sofia" as well. Which is correct? More importantly, why? How does that gamma become a "y" sound?

Hagia Sophia pronunciation : AncientGreek

It should be part of a glass parking lot.

Let the people of Turkey decide.

People of Turkey?

Erdogan will decide,

And let's not forget: The Hagia Sophia is a UNESCO world heritage site

A pity.

No one cares because there is not reason to. The reason there is no reason to is because the Turkish government is going to do whatever it is going to do.

If the USA, if government owned it could not be a church.

I read up a lot on the city and its fall, plus the final battle there in a very old book that went into great detail of that battle. There were no cowards on either side and it was another Alamo-type hopeless defense.

I voted museum because the only other real option is a Mosque - and the radicals organizing around and fighting for control of it. Sunni or Shia type fighting.

Back
Top Bottom