• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grocery Store Update:

I’ve been doing that since March 18th.

Stopped going into convenience stores about that time. They got too dangerous. Too many people not observing even basic precautions.

InstaCart is a thing.

I was thinking about waiting till late at night to go to a convenience store and get a few things. I won't go in if there are people there. I'll still look into instacart if I can find someone to get it to me that day. I've found when you have to wait a few days you get less of what you want. I'll gladly pay the extra.

Or toilet paper since you get first dibs.

After this pandemic is over I'm going to check into buying stock at a toilet paper company.

Buy CVS stock is doing well, too. Once they work out a vaccine/treatment plan, CVS stock will skyrocket.

Thank you and be careful...stay safe.

Hey, its a living. Thanks for your concern. We're doing all we really can, but frankly, I consider it a foregone conclusion that I will catch this thing. I have a plan in place for that, when it happens. Already sent my mom back to her condo in myrtle beach. Only thin,g I've really got to worry about are my kids.

I can't speak for all of Canada but our stores here in southwestern Ontario imposed purchasing limits and thus avoided having no products for the most part. We had about a week when TP and paper towelling was very hard to find but that and my beloved red lentils were the only products which I noticed being bought out for more than a day.

I did my emergency shopping in February and gradually laid in a two-month stock of non-perishable foodstuffs by the start of March. We are now cautiously expanding the stock to a three-month supply, without binge buying which will hurt others. We have a house emergency kit with about two weeks of emergency dry rations tucked away too, but that is reserved for a true emergency. I'm building three large raised planters out of cedar and pine right now to put on the side of the house and which can be secured, albeit with a wire mesh lid, to supplement the vegetable garden. Lots of beans and cabbage in our future perhaps.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

We did the same. But our customers simply buy the one, go out, and come back in.

I was thinking about waiting till late at night to go to a convenience store and get a few things. I won't go in if there are people there. I'll still look into instacart if I can find someone to get it to me that day. I've found when you have to wait a few days you get less of what you want. I'll gladly pay the extra.

Not gonna help you.

Those products were handled by people when were stocked, and touched all through out the day by those people you're trying to avoid.

You touch the box, then your face, then you're infected.

Buy CVS stock is doing well, too. Once they work out a vaccine/treatment plan, CVS stock will skyrocket.

I was thinking that buying stock in Campbell's soup would have been great. That stuff flew off the shelves asap.

Hey, its a living. Thanks for your concern. We're doing all we really can, but frankly, I consider it a foregone conclusion that I will catch this thing. I have a plan in place for that, when it happens. Already sent my mom back to her condo in myrtle beach. Only thin,g I've really got to worry about are my kids.

I hope you don't get it, or your kids. Hope you all stay safe. Being on the front lines of this thing is tough. Who knew how important certain jobs would turn out to be when push came to shove.

We did the same. But our customers simply buy the one, go out, and come back in.

Kevin Kohler:

Well, if you're In the grocery business, then a big thank-you for your selfless service to your community. You, like healthcare workers and emergency personnel are on the front line of managing this crisis. Thus you all deserve our heart-felt thanks and respect for the risks you are taking for yourselves and your families by continuing to serve the public in these very difficult times. Thank you and be well.

Here in my corner of Canada there are private security guards either outside of the store or just inside the entrance who are there to limit the numbers of clients in the store at any one time. If they see return customers reappearing without good reason, they shut that down right quick. More of a problem are families who do tag-team shopping but security cameras or overseers covering the parking lot usually detect that too after a time. Things are pretty well in hand up here. That is largely due to the populace replacing a "me-first mentality" with a "we-first outlook" where almost everybody tries to do what's best for the greater good.

Cheers and than you for your service.
Evilroddy.

I wish to God we lived in Canadia.... :(

Hey CBS, we have nothing if not plenty of room up here. You're more than welcome to visit and if you so decide to resettle up here along with your wife and family, after the crisis abates. Don't be a stranger!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Kevin Kohler:

Well, if you're In the grocery business, then a big thank-you for your selfless service to your community. You, like healthcare workers and emergency personnel are on the front line of managing this crisis. Thus you all deserve our heart-felt thanks and respect for the risks you are taking for yourselves and your families by continuing to serve the public in these very difficult times. Thank you and be well.

Here in my corner of Canada there are private security guards either outside of the store or just inside the entrance who are there to limit the numbers of clients in the store at any one time. If they see return customers reappearing without good reason, they shut that down right quick. More of a problem are families who do tag-team shopping but security cameras or overseers covering the parking lot usually detect that too after a time. Things are pretty well in hand up here. That is largely due to the populace replacing a "me-first mentality" with a "we-first outlook" where almost everybody tries to do what's best for the greater good.

Cheers and than you for your service.
Evilroddy.

That is one of the good things coming out of this "crisis". A silver lining for sure. That's how it goes with us humans sometimes. It takes something bad to happen before we start thinking of others and showing compassion, otherwise we get complacent and think of only "me me me".

At our house, we have alternated delivery of groceries and shopping at the store for several years. It used to be that we could arrange next-day delivery from Safeway or CostCo. Now our experience is typically more than a week out (min 5-days) and lots and lots of shortages - even on items that make no sense (mozzarella cheese sticks?). So, we order early and often, and expect to only get a portion of our order. We get by (but we don't always get buy).

I was thinking that buying stock in Campbell's soup would have been great. That stuff flew off the shelves asap.

Progresso had a 2 for 1 sale and was down to Minestrone w/sausage, Clam Chowder, and Chicken w/rice.

Hey CBS, we have nothing if not plenty of room up here. You're more than welcome to visit and if you so decide to resettle up here along with your wife and family, after the crisis abates. Don't be a stranger!

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Canada will never take me, my wife or my son.
I'm too old, too unhealthy and I am nearing retirement age and I am in fact MEDICALLY retired because my failing eyesight has pretty much ended my cinematography career. Wifey is a 100% service connected disabled Navy veteran who lives in a power wheelchair and my son was born with five very major heart defects.
You wouldn't know it to see him, but you'd know it after you walk about half a block with him, which is about when he needs to sit down and take a break.

Also, Canada's immigration system is pretty much merit based for the most part, so the time I could have made the move would have been back in the 1990's before I married Karen, which of course would have been a huge mistake on my part because Karen is the best thing that ever happened to me.

DSC00647.jpg

Where I am, there's no shortage of TP, there is a shortage of peanut butter and junk food though.

The second TP wave will be real. We're not talking stockpiling. We're talking need it and willing to fight for it.

Is your TP organic?

I can't speak for all of Canada

Oh yeah? Well the one Tim Horton's branch at the mall near my place is closed! And they had guaranteed that it was supposed to stay open 24 hours- I demand you reopen it!

Not gonna help you.

Those products were handled by people when were stocked, and touched all through out the day by those people you're trying to avoid.

You touch the box, then your face, then you're infected.

I would think minimizing interactions with people would be by far the safest thing you can do now. Sure you can get infected by touching your face after touching an infected box. Am I missing something regarding the risk of buying these products? If you wipe down the containers and wash your hands often and especially before touching your face you should be fine. This is mostly a person to person transfer.

I wonder what the odds are of an infected person touching a product and then another person touching that product getting sick? The virus stays on different surfaces longer than others. If you did touch a surface with the virus on it and then touched your face would you for sure get infected? Does there need to be a certain amount of viral load taken in? I'd think my odds of avoiding the virus are significantly better going someplace during off hours when it was basically just be and the clerk.

You are lying. There are all sorts of restrictions the national chains implemented. I cant help it if you live in some armpit ignorant area where they arent taking those restrictions seriously.

I gave you 3 links as examples of national chains and their restrictions. NATIONAL. You lie when you pretend your personal experience negates that. And if you really believe your experience is the ONLY reality...then your grasp of reality is poor. Certainly in the face of the facts I provided.

Attempting to try and look 'right on the Internetz' reflects a small, petty mind and low self-esteem.

Hey honey darlin, he might be in a different state with different rules and the store he goes to didnt do the masks and stuff when he went. He's not lying he's telling you HIS experience. You might want to cool your jets. Your getting hot. I had the same experience in California at a Walmart and Lowes in Bakersfield last week.

Hey honey darlin, he might be in a different state with different rules and the store he goes to didnt do the masks and stuff when he went. He's not lying he's telling you HIS experience. You might want to cool your jets. Your getting hot. I had the same experience in California at a Walmart and Lowes in Bakersfield last week.

Well sugar pop, you werent privy to the entire conversation we had in another thread.

So you might want to do your homework before firing your jets. I provided him with several links and he still denied it.

OTOH, I dont know why you'd bother...be smart and 'cool your jets' :lol:

OK. I'll accept that. I had links from Walmart, Target, and Costco. Our Safeway and Fred Meyer are doing some of those too.

Plus even our gun stores and other businesses are doing the separation: duct tape outside the stores at 6 foot intervals for waiting and letting only a certain # of people in at a time. Masks requested in some places, forced in others or no admittance.

Grip denied this stuff was common...I said it was, nationally and locally.

What if you can't get one? Do they accept any other face covering?

What if you can't get one? Do they accept any other face covering?

They are saying that you can use anything cloth and the main reason for doing so is to keep your own secretions from spreading to others, not to protect you from the virus (necessarily.) It's to retain your own coughing and sneezing droplets.

Well sugar pop, you werent privy to the entire conversation we had in another thread.

So you might want to do your homework before firing your jets. I provided him with several links and he still denied it.

OTOH, I dont know why you'd bother...be smart and 'cool your jets' :lol:

Well darling apparently your facts didnt match his experience. Maybe your facts are wrong, more likely incomplete. I read the post you wrote and you were trying to light him up like a firecracker.

Me smart? Were would you get such a silly notion? :2razz:

Well darling apparently your facts didnt match his experience. Maybe your facts are wrong, more likely incomplete. I read the post you wrote and you were trying to light him up like a firecracker.

Me smart? Were would you get such a silly notion? :2razz:

Yeah honey bunches, and it triggered you. LOLOLOL

Again, I posted facts in direct response to his comments...then he backpeddled with 'his own experience.'

You are now doubling down on a conversation and information you've never even seen...:doh

Ok, carry on!

Lat Friday. Plenty of everything except TP, thanks to maniacs. Done with Easter shopping and no need to shop for two months or more. In a month or two, I should buy TP. It occurs to me that all the normal people who did not partake in the mania, and have since missed their regularly scheduled TP buy, will be a second wave when TP finally stays on the shelves. The maniacs have set off a TP cascade event in which some people's supplies are dwindling and a now somewhat legitimate concern arises.

The second TP wave will be real. We're not talking stockpiling. We're talking need it and willing to fight for it.

That's when those face masks and bandanas come in handy

People are using bandanas, cut up t-shirts or other clothing.

Thanks, I was wondering how strict they are in light of the shortages.

Back
Top Bottom