• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Grocery Store Update:

grip

Slow 🅖 Hand
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My store is a Publix in central FL, and last week, they had fully restocked everything from the initial 2-week run. Now, they are completely out of all paper products, including TP, paper towels, kleenex, napkins, etc. Absolutely, nothing. Thank goodness, I bought heavily during the original TP panic. They were almost completely out of soup, beans, and many canned vegetables. There was a 2 can limit on remaining canned items. Surprisingly, people seem to be going after the ice cream, not to mention liquid soap, hand sanitizer, and rubbing alcohol. Going to be some weight gain from being off work and stress eating.

They have installed protective, plexiglass barriers in front of cashiers. There were no mandatory rules on masks or distances, though they were reminding customers over the PA to keep a distance from each other. Very difficult in narrow isles, lines, and crowds. There were also no special hours, except for the original change from 8 am to 8 pm. Tues and Thurs are open one hour early for seniors, though they don't card you.

Only one out of ten customers were wearing masks or bandanas, and even less of the employees. The cashiers said it was still optional. I was told by another poster that there were all kinds of restrictions and new rules at a majority of chains across the nation, but that seems to be limited here.

Thank you for shopping at DP, we hope you enjoyed your stay. :mrgreen:

I got annoyed because all of a sudden everyone became star bakers. I love to bake, have for some time, but when this thing hit the stores all of a sudden all the baking supplies are gone. I finally got more baking powder this past weekend, but dang, the one plus I thought of was that being home I'll be able to bake/cook a bit more. Lay off the King Arthur's flour, some other folk need that!

Haven't been to a supermarket since March 12th. Today I made my first delivery order from Kroger, supposed to arrive on Friday....no contact delivery.

I have concluded that crisis situations (or even predictions of them) cause a noticeable increase in the local demand for French toast - this is based on the shortage of available bread, milk and eggs during such occasions.

I have concluded that crisis situations (or even predictions of them) cause a noticeable increase in the local demand for French toast - this is based on the shortage of available bread, milk and eggs during such occasions.

Dammit man, now I gots a craving for French Toast with melted butter and maple syrup. :)

Haven't been to a supermarket since March 12th. Today I made my first delivery order from Kroger, supposed to arrive on Friday....no contact delivery.

I haven't either. If you can have it delivered to you that's the way to go. No way I'm going to a crowded or even semi crowded store.

Dammit man, now I gots a craving for French Toast with melted butter and maple syrup. :)

I forgot to check on the available supply of those popular French toast condiments, but I suspect you may be in trouble if your stock of them is depleted.

I haven't either. If you can have it delivered to you that's the way to go. No way I'm going to a crowded or even semi crowded store.

Today was my last time for 2 weeks. I really stocked up as much as my small freezer and pantry will allow.

I live about 1 hour north of NYC.. For about 3 weeks there was no paper products to be found around here.. But this past Saturday I went early in the morning to a local grocery store. They had plenty of everything.. TP, paper towels,etc.... We didn't need any of those.. I went shopping for the typical weekly groceries.. Milk, bread, eggs, etc.. They had all of that too.

Maybe I hit it lucky.. Maybe the 'panic buying' is over here.. IDK..

I forgot to check on the available supply of those popular French toast condiments, but I suspect you may be in trouble if your stock of them is depleted.

If Ikari is right, the Bisquick went real quick. I ain't making them from scratch batter. Frozen!

My store is a Publix in central FL, and last week, they had fully restocked everything from the initial 2-week run. Now, they are completely out of all paper products, including TP, paper towels, kleenex, napkins, etc. Absolutely, nothing. Thank goodness, I bought heavily during the original TP panic. They were almost completely out of soup, beans, and many canned vegetables. There was a 2 can limit on remaining canned items. Surprisingly, people seem to be going after the ice cream, not to mention liquid soap, hand sanitizer, and rubbing alcohol. Going to be some weight gain from being off work and stress eating.

They have installed protective, plexiglass barriers in front of cashiers. There were no mandatory rules on masks or distances, though they were reminding customers over the PA to keep a distance from each other. Very difficult in narrow isles, lines, and crowds. There were also no special hours, except for the original change from 8 am to 8 pm. Tues and Thurs are open one hour early for seniors, though they don't card you.

Only one out of ten customers were wearing masks or bandanas, and even less of the employees. The cashiers said it was still optional. I was told by another poster that there were all kinds of restrictions and new rules at a majority of chains across the nation, but that seems to be limited here.

You are lying. There are all sorts of restrictions the national chains implemented. I cant help it if you live in some armpit ignorant area where they arent taking those restrictions seriously.

I gave you 3 links as examples of national chains and their restrictions. NATIONAL. You lie when you pretend your personal experience negates that. And if you really believe your experience is the ONLY reality...then your grasp of reality is poor. Certainly in the face of the facts I provided.

Attempting to try and look 'right on the Internetz' reflects a small, petty mind and low self-esteem.

I live about 1 hour north of NYC.. For about 3 weeks there was no paper products to be found around here.. But this past Saturday I went early in the morning to a local grocery store. They had plenty of everything.. TP, paper towels,etc.... We didn't need any of those.. I went shopping for the typical weekly groceries.. Milk, bread, eggs, etc.. They had all of that too.

Maybe I hit it lucky.. Maybe the 'panic buying' is over here.. IDK..

I think location, supplier stock, distributors, and manufacturing all play a role. I expect there will continue to be spotty shortages for as long as the lockdown lasts.

I got annoyed because all of a sudden everyone became star bakers. I love to bake, have for some time, but when this thing hit the stores all of a sudden all the baking supplies are gone. I finally got more baking powder this past weekend, but dang, the one plus I thought of was that being home I'll be able to bake/cook a bit more. Lay off the King Arthur's flour, some other folk need that!

When I see a lone package of spaghetti I'm like OHMYGODSPAGHETTI.

If Ikari is right, the Bisquick went real quick. I ain't making them from scratch batter. Frozen!

Dude, it took us 2 weeks to find ****ing pancake mix.....that's just insane to me.....I had to ask the guy if he had in any back, just because I did not believe that was an item that would be a must rush out to get....

You are lying. There are all sorts of restrictions the national chains implemented. I cant help it if you live in some armpit ignorant area where they arent taking those restrictions seriously.

I gave you 3 links as examples of national chains and their restrictions. NATIONAL. You lie when you pretend your personal experience negates that. And if you really believe your experience is the ONLY reality...then your grasp of reality is poor. Certainly in the face of the facts I provided.

Attempting to try and look 'right on the Internetz' reflects a small, petty mind and low self-esteem.

Trying to think of what's National.....Walmart, Sams Club, and....what Costco?

That's about it, everything else I can think of is Regional, including Publix, Safeway, Aldi's, Kroger.

I think location, supplier stock, distributors, and manufacturing all play a role. I expect there will continue to be spotty shortages for as long as the lockdown lasts.

I'm sure there will be shortages again. Over the past month we've gone out to shop 2-3 times, and there were plenty of shortages. But this past Saturday I was a little surprised that they had just about everything.. I did see sign of only ONE TP package and paper towel package per person(most packages had 4-6 rolls in each).. But there was plenty on the shelves.

Flour is making its way back on our shelves in the UK but yeast is unavailable. People selling 2 sachets of 7g yeast at £5.40 on ebay.

It's really odd because bread is not in short supply.

Lidl was out of onions and eggs. Onions I get because this is easter week, but being out of eggs makes no sense whatsoever.

Trying to think of what's National.....Walmart, Sams Club, and....what Costco?

That's about it, everything else I can think of is Regional, including Publix, Safeway, Aldi's, Kroger.

OK. I'll accept that. I had links from Walmart, Target, and Costco. Our Safeway and Fred Meyer are doing some of those too.

Plus even our gun stores and other businesses are doing the separation: duct tape outside the stores at 6 foot intervals for waiting and letting only a certain # of people in at a time. Masks requested in some places, forced in others or no admittance.

Grip denied this stuff was common...I said it was, nationally and locally.

Dude, it took us 2 weeks to find ****ing pancake mix.....that's just insane to me.....I had to ask the guy if he had in any back, just because I did not believe that was an item that would be a must rush out to get....

Well, you know, when there's a natl crisis, people get hungry for pancakes and waffles.....lol

Lidl was out of onions and eggs. Onions I get because this is easter week, but being out of eggs makes no sense whatsoever.

They're using those for the french toast, pancakes, and waffles, I guess. :)

They're using those for the french toast, pancakes, and waffles, I guess. :)

Aunt J just requires a little water for them pancakes and waffles.

I was able to get a couple of heads of cabbage, some onions and some cauliflower yesterday as well as apples. Canned goods, paper goods and cleaning supplies are totally non-existent in Tucson.

Back
Top Bottom