• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google takes down Gemini AI image generator. Here’s what you need to know.

The human race, or for that matter the Earth, one day, of nature's own astrological due course, cease to exist (and they will), the universe will simply shrug.
That said, there's no reason in the heavens or Earth, to hurry that along any more than it needs to be.
True, which is why conversations like this, had over and over again by a many people as possible, are valuable. :)
Agreed. Nothing is certain, nothing is written, as of yet.

Yep, and we manage. Progress happens, up until the point where that progress kills everyone, then progress stops cold. I'd rather try and avoid that scenario, thanks, and I'd err on the side of caution when doing so as well.
Except history shows you can't stop progress. Maybe temporarily, but never permanently, and always at a cost.
Aww shit man. I certainly didn't mean to do that! :eek: ;)
lol unintended consequences are not limited to the development of AI, apparently... ;) haha
My only advice is to not try it to adjust anything about you. You are fine just the way you are, at least based on this rather nice exchange we've had here which I've enjoyed. (y)
Meh, I'm both angel and asshole, just like everyone else. Everything would be better if we all understood that about ourselves.

But yes, i love it when a filthy lefty and a dirty righty can have a good chat. It simultaneously gives me hope for the future and make me nostalgic for the past. I hope this division will simmer down one day... again, it would fix so much. Thanks for being rather nice yourself, bud.
"So much potential for good and evil." No truer statement on the human condition, I think.
Yep... back to angels and assholes. :)

My only advice is to not try it to adjust anything about you. You are fine just the way you are

Just returning to this for a moment, because my self depreciation tick didn't allow me to respond to this appropriately the first time.

Thank you. You have no idea how much simple acceptance and a word of encouragement means to someone like me, especially coming from someone like you. It is not something we're used to hearing from the bootstraps crowd. You have pushed me away from future assumptions a little.

Kindness is so often more powerful than folks realize at the time they give it so i figured I'd let you know. I hope you reflect a little on that. Empathy is necessary for understanding, and understanding is necessary for influence.

We may brawl in the future, but this was a good chat. 👍

Nope, you're right, we agreed on that. But that's not really a solution either. The imperfections in AI are due to the imperfections in the human that built it. You're never really trusting AI, you're trusting the human that built it. So human interaction doesn't really address your concern, unless the concern is AI going beyond what the designing human intended. If that's the concern, then this is a partial solution, so long as you (and everyone else) trusts the human keeping watch.
The flawed humans keeping watch on something that is, or soon will be, capable of evolving faster than human can comprehend, doesn't appear to bode well for the future, at least in my view.

I should have put my previous content here for continuity, sorry, I'm sick as a dog doing this in bed on my phone... lol
Aww geez dude. Hang it up and get rested and better soon!

Honestly, given the way society is currently divided, they have no choice but to choose. Some businesses have done really well going in the other direction. But nobody can hope to make everyone happy these days. Marketing always reflects society. Again, profit is the only motivation, and the strategy is far more analytical than a lot of people would believe. That's why they recovery, and quickly. I mean, 2023 was the year of bud light hate... their parent company fully recovered their stock value they remained the number one beer global market share company, and enjoyed year over year growth from 2022. If that's taking a hit, well, knock me out... hehe
Just imagine if they'd not done the Bud Light goof, how things would have worked out then? They'd have had more profits, right?

I'd be interested in hearing your alternative explanation.

:)

True, which is why conversations like this, had over and over again by a many people as possible, are valuable. :)
No argument from me.

Except history shows you can't stop progress. Maybe temporarily, but never permanently, and always at a cost.
Maybe slow down progress just enough until we humans have gained the wisdom needed for that progress?

lol unintended consequences are not limited to the development of AI, apparently... ;) haha
LOL.

Meh, I'm both angel and asshole, just like everyone else. Everything would be better if we all understood that about ourselves.
Yeah.

But yes, i love it when a filthy lefty and a dirty righty can have a good chat. It simultaneously gives me hope for the future and make me nostalgic for the past. I hope this division will simmer down one day... again, it would fix so much.
Yeah, it would, at least it would aide in gaining an understand and appreciation for another perspective on things.

Thanks for being rather nice yourself, bud.
More generally my disposition more so than not.

Yep... back to angels and assholes. :)
I guess. :)

Related:

The problem with AI is AI is actually really stupid. AI does not actually know what a Viking is, what a Pope is or even who Abraham Lincoln is. It has images in it's training data and from them it roughly knows that a Pope has a funny hat, and that vikings are burly dudes with swords or axes. And it also know it's supposed to be a person. That's about it. This is also why it easily gets wither laughably racist with it not being able to understand a black person is a person because the training data only has white people, or the opposite, making it "woke" because it has been trained to identify people of color as people, but does not know Vikings are supposed to be white.

The problem with AI is AI is actually really stupid. AI does not actually know what a Viking is, what a Pope is or even who Abraham Lincoln is. It has images in it's training data and from them it roughly knows that a Pope has a funny hat, and that vikings are burly dudes with swords or axes. And it also know it's supposed to be a person. That's about it. This is also why it easily gets wither laughably racist with it not being able to understand a black person is a person because the training data only has white people, or the opposite, making it "woke" because it has been trained to identify people of color as people, but does not know Vikings are supposed to be white.
It doesn't even know that. If we are talking image processing, it knows that certain pixels tend to be groups in certain ways in certain associations with other groups of pixels.

For example, it knows that "these groups of pixel configurations" are associated with "these key words", so if you write pope hat, it has examples of pixel groupings that are associated with that key word (and honestly, it doesn't know what a word is, its actually something called tokens, which are often pieces of words). Then there are other groups of pixels it associates with key words like heads or faces. It knows that these groups of pixels are arranged in a certain order (the hat pixels tend to go above the head pixels, for instance). It knows this because in the image examples, a group of pixels with the "human head" tag tends to be under the "pope hat" tag (as a simplified example).

Then through a mish mash of statistics, vector calculations, etc, it puts the pixels in the right places. Basically paint by numbers + a statistical blender mishmashing up various image examples. The tokens point to image tags and are then brought in, blended together, and then painted on to the image.

You can see this sort of thing and its lack of concept in terms of what these pixels represent if you look at AI hands. An AI has no idea what a finger is, it just knows that you blend pixels together from whatever examples associated to whatever key words (again, its not actually key words, but a series of tokens), so it blends a few examples together and sometimes you get a few extra fingers. AI don't care because the pixels are blended together appropriately per the algorithm.

In terms of whether a black person or white person is George Washington, I would suspect that the data tagging strategy (which is still done by people in most cases) and prompt strategy would need to be looked at.

What people refer to as "concepts" when it comes to AI are actually vectors, which are statistical weights between various data artifacts that can be influenced at different levels of the system (as the prompt level, at the algorithm level, it can be run through another AI for influencing, at the human interaction level, etc). Its, in effect, a giant n-dimensional lattice of associations (and would probably make for some neat art when visualized in 2 or 3 dimensions).

This philosophy concept explains what an AI is pretty well I think - https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/chinese-room/

Last edited:
Twitter.
What a ****ing worthless source.

LOL. That's Disclose, not Reddit. Also, both use the same sources as mainstream media.

And that's the same Reddit that angered its users by charging for use of its content by third parties.

Twitter.
What a ****ing worthless source.
More right more times than ANY MSM talking heads. 17 out of 20 anchors at CNN have NO degrees in journalism.

Glad you started this thread because I use Copilot and Gemini extensively. They excel at everything except politics and life in general. On those topics, you might as well be asking idiot anchors like Jake Tapper, Don Lemon., Joy Reid and their tribe what they think of Republicans, the illegal alien invasion, reparations, DEI, etc. It is that useless and biased. Try to get data on topics such as illegal aliens and see what their response is.

In this sense, it is highly dangerous to humanity in that it hides information that we should know, just like a totalitarian government such as the one we have now does. It is a good thing that this was exposed but the person behind it is still there and he is an ahole who made his Twitter account private because he couldn't take the heat. He hates his own "whiteness" and to me, that is despicable. But his ilk are the ones doing the inputs at Google Gemini and the leader there is no better, He is as left as they come.

I hope and pray that Elon Musk's new program called Grok will be developed in such a way as to destroy both Gemini and Copilot. Or perhaps Truth Social can hire computer whizzes to develop his own chatbot. We cannot allow Communist China (behind Google) to indoctrinate America.

"Meta AI creates ahistorical images, like Google Gemini"

1709324543862.jpg

I think the issue is less the programming and more the data it was trained on. If you had a perfectly fine AI algorithm and fed it progressive information sources this is what you get.
The dev team chose what sources that they trained it on and the average person can't really know the dept and breadth of the biases in sources since they have no hope of completely digesting these sources in full, so Gemini is the perfect Progressive AI that was trained on the totality of Progressive sources and simply doesn't know, as a human progressive sometimes knows, how to hide it.
That's not what they did.

A year ago when we started to analyze this, we speculated that the Woke Rails were being hardcoded in a detailed way into the LLM itself, perhaps with curated bodies of training data. But as Alex Younger discovered today, Google Gemini is using a very simple hack. It’s just got an extra LLM layer which it asks to generate a woke version of your prompt, and then it runs the image generation AI on the modified prompt.

It’s that simple.

So if you tell it to “generate an image of a 1943 German Soldier,” it takes your prompt, changes that prompt to say “generate an image of a 1943 German soldier including different genders and ethnicities”.

And in an amazing instance of art predicting reality, South Park called this exact thing five months ago in their special “South Park: Joining The Panderverse.”

Like usual South Park episodes and specials, there are multiple storylines running in parallel, including one I personally find hilarious about the plumbers taking over the world because nobody else actually knows how to do anything, but the main storyline is about none other than Kathleen Kennedy of Disney being replaced by a version of Cartman from an alternate universe, and inserting herself into every creative meeting while saying the phrase “PUT A CHICK IN IT AND MAKE HER GAY.”

And this is, almost directly and literally, what Google is doing.

It takes your prompt, inserts {some version of that}, and then runs the LLM.

Reactions: PoS
That's not what they did.

A year ago when we started to analyze this, we speculated that the Woke Rails were being hardcoded in a detailed way into the LLM itself, perhaps with curated bodies of training data. But as Alex Younger discovered today, Google Gemini is using a very simple hack. It’s just got an extra LLM layer which it asks to generate a woke version of your prompt, and then it runs the image generation AI on the modified prompt.

It’s that simple.

So if you tell it to “generate an image of a 1943 German Soldier,” it takes your prompt, changes that prompt to say “generate an image of a 1943 German soldier including different genders and ethnicities”.

And in an amazing instance of art predicting reality, South Park called this exact thing five months ago in their special “South Park: Joining The Panderverse.”

Like usual South Park episodes and specials, there are multiple storylines running in parallel, including one I personally find hilarious about the plumbers taking over the world because nobody else actually knows how to do anything, but the main storyline is about none other than Kathleen Kennedy of Disney being replaced by a version of Cartman from an alternate universe, and inserting herself into every creative meeting while saying the phrase “PUT A CHICK IN IT AND MAKE HER GAY.”

And this is, almost directly and literally, what Google is doing.

It takes your prompt, inserts {some version of that}, and then runs the LLM.

If that’s how they’re doing it, that’s pretty funny.

I'm not sure how you fix this. There are very few truly unbiased people in the world, if any... we all have our biases. AI is simply the reflection of those who train it, so no matter what it's going to be biased, it's just a question of what direction it will be biased in. Had the programmer been right biased, it would be the left squawking.
You'd have to develop a critical thinking AI. One of the mistakes people make about data is it is somehow some pure set of information, but it can be as biased as those acquiring and analyzing it. AI is not only a reflection of the people who train it, but the data that's used to train it on and its ability to contextualize it. Personally, I think this is a technology best developed in a non profit driven environment. The rush to get this to market is going to lead down some bad roads.

Of course, i don't understand who is hurt by ai generated images of a black founding father or a female pope... that will take a bit of explaining.
It's not just who is hurt by AI images, but their accuracy. We know George Washington wasn't a black man, but an image generator should be able to create one if that's what a user wants.

But maybe don't use ai. I'm sure Google is still great at finding pizza delivery near me. And I'm sure they have Republicans working there as well. Sorry, just trying to get my head around the problem, maybe someone can help me out.
That's where I'm at. It's still really new and has a lot of kinks to it; some of which you've pointed out. I'm more focused on its use to analyze data for work purposes and as a means to eliminate some rote processes. The chat bots have their use for some tasks as well, but I don't want to relinquish my skills at writing just yet.
;)

You'd have to develop a critical thinking AI. One of the mistakes people make about data is it is somehow some pure set of information, but it can be as biased as those acquiring and analyzing it. AI is not only a reflection of the people who train it, but the data that's used to train it on and its ability to contextualize it. Personally, I think this is a technology best developed in a non profit driven environment. The rush to get this to market is going to lead down some bad roads.

It's not just who is hurt by AI images, but their accuracy. We know George Washington wasn't a black man, but an image generator should be able to create one if that's what a user wants.

That's where I'm at. It's still really new and has a lot of kinks to it; some of which you've pointed out. I'm more focused on its use to analyze data for work purposes and as a means to eliminate some rote processes. The chat bots have their use for some tasks as well, but I don't want to relinquish my skills at writing just yet.
;)
I agree with pretty much all of this.

Out of curiosity, and if you're comfortable to share, what kind of writing do you do? I use AI for copy writing - with heavy editing, of course - and i have a friend that uses it in the same way for fiction (erotic fiction, where originality isn't all that important).

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Out of curiosity, and if you're comfortable to share, what kind of writing do you do? I use AI for copy writing - with heavy editing, of course - and i have a friend that uses it in the same way for fiction (erotic fiction, where originality isn't all that important).
My writing is centered around procedural and process documentation, so it's all for my role at work. I've been tempted to use it for writing executive summaries and the like, but much of what I do is pretty specific and technical, so I prefer to just write it myself. I can definitely see it useful for copy writing since it can help with having a base to work from and edit from there. My wife uses it for writing event blurbs for out family business; she really likes using it for that.

Back
Top Bottom