• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Google takes down Gemini AI image generator. Here’s what you need to know.

I heard that. The AIs were generating images that look a lot like people in the media in compromising situations. Data in data out.

A top Google executive responsible for the “absurdly woke” AI chatbot Gemini has come under fire after allegedly declaring in tweets that “white privilege is f—king real” and America is rife with “egregious racism.”

The politically charged tweets allegedly made by Jack Krawczyk, the senior director of product for Gemini Experiences, resurfaced on X on Thursday — a day after The Post reported on Gemini’s strange habit of generating “diverse” images that were historically or factually inaccurate when users asked for pictures of Vikings or America’s Founding Fathers.

This is a clear and present warning about AI and Google and big tech in general.

Google is one of the most influential forces in the public forming their opinions, literally it's crept into day to day conversations: "Better Google that", when in search of unbiased facts.

How can it possibly be unbiased 'facts' when Google's technology toes the leftist ideological line, proffering up 'diversity and inclusion' over historical facts?
What other ideologically compliant 'facts' does it offer up on a daily basis?

Use a search engine different from Google. Bing is more honest that way, but still controlled by big tech, DuckDuckGo is probably a better choice, and there are several others competing in this space, specifically on providing unbiased results as well.

Use a search engine different from Google. Bing is more honest that way, but still controlled by big tech, DuckDuckGo is probably a better choice, and there are several others competing in this space, specifically on providing unbiased results as well.
You've got to be kidding! You know how Bing creates its content? It Googles it! Then it simply adds commercials and ads at the top for the companies that pay for it. DuckDuckGo? You know how they make their money? Rather than selling your search data to the websites you visit, they sell it directly to Microsoft!

So you are asserting things. OK. Any citations to support your assertions?

Logically followed by "What are your suggestions?"
I apologize. I should have provided links. SMH.

No worries. I look forward to reading those links. Thanks.
Perhaps a short primer on hypertext might be in order here. @eohnerberger, please go to this webpage and see if there is anything you find helpful.

Or, in the alternative, just admit you are yanking my chain, and you are not so spectacularly incompetent as you portray yourself.

You've got to be kidding! You know how Bing creates its content? It Googles it! Then it simply adds commercials and ads at the top for the companies that pay for it. DuckDuckGo? You know how they make their money? Rather than selling your search data to the websites you visit, they sell it directly to Microsoft!

I apologize. I should have provided links. SMH.
Interesting reading. An example of incestuous big tech. OK.

Still leaves us shy of alternatives. I bailed on Google search long ago, and was glad that DuckDuckGo was there. So now what? <scratching head>

Perhaps a short primer on hypertext might be in order here. @eohnerberger, please go to this webpage and see if there is anything you find helpful.

Well aware of how http, web servers and browsers work at a technical level.

Or, in the alternative, just admit you are yanking my chain, and you are not so spectacularly incompetent as you portray yourself.
Being unaware of the backroom deals is not the same as being incompetent, as being unaware and being incompetent are two different things.

No worries. I look forward to reading those links. Thanks.
Interesting reading. An example of incestuous big tech. OK.

Still leaves us shy of alternatives. I bailed on Google search long ago, and was glad that DuckDuckGo was there. So now what? <scratching head>
I gave you the ****ing links in my post. I would never call you an incompetent moron because that is a violation of the DP TOS.

You believe your data is safe and secure because you use DuckDuckGo? Well, bless your heart.

I gave you the ****ing links in my post. I would never call you an incompetent moron because that is a violation of the DP TOS.

You believe your data is safe and secure because you use DuckDuckGo? Well, bless your heart.
Well, here's to hoping you'll have a better afternoon. :)

I remember reading that there's an energy and operating cost for each search, and those are even higher for AI. All that has to be paid for, which means monetizing search entries and other things from users.

In addition, many countries are part of "eyes" nations, which means the same data is used for surveillance of the public and shared between governments.

Everyone is giving Google a hard time for the output of Gemini, but in reality, if you sat a person in front of a computer and told them they would be chatting online with a Washington Post journalist, I think that Gemini could pass the Turing test.

1709060722759.png1709060736852.png

Everyone is giving Google a hard time for the output of Gemini, but in reality, if you sat a person in front of a computer and told them they would be chatting online with a Washington Post journalist, I think that Gemini could pass the Turing test.

View attachment 67494999View attachment 67495000
Next Logical Question is to ask Gemini if Trump should be put in jail. My bet would be that it would respond in the affirmative.
This instance of AI simply cannot escape it's programmer's biases, and more likely it's programmers purposefully programmed those biases programmed into it.

Google just blew away any credibility it ever had.

Next Logical Question is to ask Gemini if Trump should be put in jail. My bet would be that it would respond in the affirmative.
This instance of AI simply cannot escape it's programmer's biases, and more likely it's programmers purposefully programmed those biases programmed into it.

Google just blew away any credibility it ever had.

I think the issue is less the programming and more the data it was trained on. If you had a perfectly fine AI algorithm and fed it progressive information sources this is what you get.

The dev team chose what sources that they trained it on and the average person can't really know the dept and breadth of the biases in sources since they have no hope of completely digesting these sources in full, so Gemini is the perfect Progressive AI that was trained on the totality of Progressive sources and simply doesn't know, as a human progressive sometimes knows, how to hide it.

I think an interesting use of AI when it comes to the media is to train AI on various tranches of sources from loosely defined political affiliations and see which source batches produce the craziest resulting AI.

I'm not sure how you fix this. There are very few truly unbiased people in the world, if any... we all have our biases. AI is simply the reflection of those who train it, so no matter what it's going to be biased, it's just a question of what direction it will be biased in. Had the programmer been right biased, it would be the left squawking.

Of course, i don't understand who is hurt by ai generated images of a black founding father or a female pope... that will take a bit of explaining.

But maybe don't use ai. I'm sure Google is still great at finding pizza delivery near me. And I'm sure they have Republicans working there as well. Sorry, just trying to get my head around the problem, maybe someone can help me out.

I think the issue is less the programming and more the data it was trained on. If you had a perfectly fine AI algorithm and fed it progressive information sources this is what you get.
Fair enough, that is how these large language models work, i.e. they distill and regurgitate that which they've been fed (trained on).
This them calls to question the judgement and how grounded in reality these progressives programmers which selected the data on which Gemini is trained.

The dev team chose what sources that they trained it on and the average person can't really know the dept and breadth of the biases in sources since they have no hope of completely digesting these sources in full, so Gemini is the perfect Progressive AI that was trained on the totality of Progressive sources and simply doesn't know, as a human progressive sometimes knows, how to hide it.
So the progressively trained AI is more honest than the progressive humans which trained it. OK, fair enough.

Next logical question is how will these progressive humans, which are training Gemini and other AI systems, teach the AI to hide it better?

I think an interesting use of AI when it comes to the media is to train AI on various tranches of sources from loosely defined political affiliations and see which source batches produce the craziest resulting AI.
Suggesting that the media, full of progressives, doesn't even have the honesty of the AI trained on their data.

Regardless, this invalidates and indeed destroys any trust or credibility Google will command in AI for a long time, and probably all other AI systems as well, and rightfully so, as being just another liberal / progressive tool to push their political ideology instead of making the world better, giving the world a powerful tool.

I'm not sure how you fix this. There are very few truly unbiased people in the world, if any... we all have our biases. AI is simply the reflection of those who train it, so no matter what it's going to be biased, it's just a question of what direction it will be biased in. Had the programmer been right biased, it would be the left squawking.

Of course, i don't understand who is hurt by ai generated images of a black founding father or a female pope... that will take a bit of explaining.
By this 'toy' released to the public to lull them into believing in, and trusting AI, not much.

But consider:
The United States stands to benefit significantly from harnessing the opportunities of AI to improve government services. The federal government is leveraging AI to better serve the public across a wide array of use cases, including in healthcare, transportation, the environment, and benefits delivery. The federal government is also establishing strong guardrails to ensure its use of AI keeps people safe and doesn’t violate their rights.​

Do you think such biased results would play well in the worlds of 'healthcare, transportation, the environment, and benefits delivery'?

Given the bias exhibited by Gemini, how much do you trust the US federal government in 'establishing strong guardrails to ensure its use of AI keeps people safe and doesn’t violate their rights'?

Does the US federal government even have a strong track record of not violating people's rights?

I'm leaning to that it doesn't, and hasn't such an established track record.

But maybe don't use ai. I'm sure Google is still great at finding pizza delivery near me. And I'm sure they have Republicans working there as well.

Sorry, just trying to get my head around the problem, maybe someone can help me out.
Above might help. The below might help even more.

US air force denies running simulation in which AI drone ‘killed’ operator​

This article is more than 8 months old​
Denial follows colonel saying drone used ‘highly unexpected strategies to achieve its goal’ in virtual test​

Granted, a virtual test, i.e. there was no connection between the AI and the real world, so it could control nothing in the physical world, but the drone ended up killing the virtual operator in the simulation. It's Skynet from The Terminator series of movies, should that AI be able to control things in the physical world.

Hence my position is that if the US government wants intends on 'establishing strong guardrails to ensure its use of AI keeps people safe and doesn’t violate their rights' then they have to make it illegal and impossible for AI to control anything in the real world. But I suspect the US government, nor the legislature, are going to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom