• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gillibrand says she's worried about top options in Dem 2020 poll being white men

Actually at the national level the democrats had been moving to the center for many years. Hillary Clinton is the most centrist candidate you are going to see for a very long time. Her defeat gave power to the left wing of the party. The GOP has been moving right for some time now, to the point they call actual Republicans RINOs. Very divisive, very divided country.

Yes, Hilary was just as much a crony capitalist as those around her. But I'm talking about the left, not the democratic party.

We've seen those who say they stand on the left, or stand as liberals, or even those that call themselves progressives. Go so far to the left that it can be construed as authoritarian in most cases.

I'm more than willing to acknowledge the problem sources within the right, even though I don't totally transcribe to the party as a whole. I may have left the democratic party, though that didn't stop me from taking my own ideals with me.
We've seen far more on the left come out in avocation for censorship of those on the right, even those that are more centrist than anything. They've supported harassment and even outright violence against those that they deem to be the enemy and they do it all under the guise of some for of social justice, or some other believed moral superiority. While the GOP has stayed nearly the same within the confines of its party's historical movement.

It's one of the reasons I left that side of the isle in the first place.

That wasn't my argument.

Well, of course, so am I. What I also understand is women have different perspectives than men - if you've been married longer than a few months, surely you've grasped this by now, and if you don't agree, ask your wife. :2razz:

And minorities who live in urban areas will have different perspectives than white people who live in the country. Do you dispute this? Seems obvious to me.

Point is if you're a white man, of course you are comfortable with people just like you in power. That's natural. Why would you expect others to be comfortable represented by those NOT like them?

I'm not so bigoted as to hold such a stance.
I couldn't care less if the people in that photo looked like a reunion photo for the village people. Just so long as they were the best people for the job and not just given such a position solely based on what sits between their legs, or what color their skin is.

In short: I don't want someone who looks like me in power. I want the best person for the job.

I'm not so bigoted as to hold such a stance.
I couldn't care less if the people in that photo looked like a reunion photo for the village people. Just so long as they were the best people for the job and not just given such a position solely based on what sits between their legs, or what color their skin is.

In short: I don't want someone who looks like me in power. I want the best person for the job.

It's not bigotry I'm describing. Oh well, I tried...

That was not my personal anecdote, as is clear by the words printed. It was a response to another person's post. I'm surely not having a problem here, in spite of your efforts to cause one. ;)

I agree. I agree.

Glad to hear you surely are not having a problem here.

My efforts were not to cause a problem.

Both you and TD mentioned another person and not yourselves.

Which would rule out a personal anecdote.

Sorry, but I need to use a dictionary defintion to finish making my point.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anecdote

Definition of anecdote

: a usually short narrative of an interesting, amusing, or biographical incident

I would describe what TD wrote as an interesting anecdote.

I would describe what you wrote as an amusing anecdote.

I would describe what I wrote as a biographical anecdote.

Which would be the only one to qualify as a personal anecdote because I wrote about a real incident in my real life.

Roseann:)

Still waiting on Gilli to lead by example. Resign and demand your seat be given to a minority, you White Privileged person!

Yes, Hilary was just as much a crony capitalist as those around her. But I'm talking about the left, not the democratic party.

We've seen those who say they stand on the left, or stand as liberals, or even those that call themselves progressives. Go so far to the left that it can be construed as authoritarian in most cases.

I'm more than willing to acknowledge the problem sources within the right, even though I don't totally transcribe to the party as a whole. I may have left the democratic party, though that didn't stop me from taking my own ideals with me.
We've seen far more on the left come out in avocation for censorship of those on the right, even those that are more centrist than anything. They've supported harassment and even outright violence against those that they deem to be the enemy and they do it all under the guise of some for of social justice, or some other believed moral superiority. While the GOP has stayed nearly the same within the confines of its party's historical movement.

It's one of the reasons I left that side of the isle in the first place.

I appreciate your opinion. I feel the far left is guilty of much of what you claim, but think you are somewhat blind to the transgressions of the right. I do not understand how long time Republicans can be labeled RINO's by the right it the GOP is true to its historical movement.

"...a more inclusive America is a stronger America" ???????

except if you are male and white.
I have heard this old song being played before.
...and they wonder why were are always so angry?

It is because everyone under the sun thinks it is OK to attack white males.
White males are pretty ****in included. It's not an attack to suggest other people should be included also. Jesus Christ. Touchy, are we?

Still waiting on Gilli to lead by example. Resign and demand your seat be given to a minority, you White Privileged person!

The Gillibrand Doctrine:

'I aspire for our country to recognize the beauty of our diversity at some point in the
future and I hope someday we have a woman president," she continued, when asked to elaborate.
"I love the fact that Barack Obama was our president for eight years, I hope more people of color not only aspire [but] win the presidency, because that’s what makes America so extraordinary, that we are all of that, we are everything, and I think a more inclusive America is a stronger America."

She's on the road to ethnomasochism. A dirt road decades ago, give it time & it will be a paved 8 lane
highway. It needs a leader & Gillibrand intends to fill that roll.

Last edited:
Gillibrand says she's worried about top options in Dem 2020 poll being white men

What's wrong with "three top white guys" atop the presidential list????
Gillibrand's response to Van Jones, perhaps unintentional, appears as sexist and racist as Jone's question... When will some ever learn to get over themselves and realize that skin color and gender have nothing to do with the overall picture? If people even notice gender or sex instead of concentrating only on their political belief when voting, I really have to wonder about them.

It's actually kind of funny that she thinks voters shouldn't determine elections.

Business as usual for Republicans. Nothing to see here, all is normal and as it should be:

View attachment 67246232

this reminds me of Clinton's cabinet. Liberals used to brag about his cabinet. It had lots of diversity

you had Ron Brown. Lee Brown, Togo West and Mike Espy-African Americans and African American Females including Alexis Herman
you had Latinos Cisneros and Pena
you had a vertically challenged Jew-Robert Reich and other Jews like Rubin and Kantor
you had alleged Lesbians Donna Shalala and Janet Reno and several straight women such as Carol Browner and Alice Rivlin
you had Italian American Leon Panetta
In other words, you had a ton of people with different heritages, and races and they all thought pretty much the same way. Left wing diversity-people who look different but have almost no diversity of thought

Left wing diversity-people who look different but have almost no diversity of thought
Where's your evidence they had no diversity of thought, and contrasted with the White Republican Boys club being so incredibly diverse?

Where's your evidence they had no diversity of thought, and contrasted with the White Republican Boys club being so incredibly diverse?

my perception based on what they said while in office. You seem rather hung up on race. Why is that?

this reminds me of Clinton's cabinet. Liberals used to brag about his cabinet. It had lots of diversity

you had Ron Brown. Lee Brown, Togo West and Mike Espy-African Americans and African American Females including Alexis Herman
you had Latinos Cisneros and Pena
you had a vertically challenged Jew-Robert Reich and other Jews like Rubin and Kantor
you had alleged Lesbians Donna Shalala and Janet Reno and several straight women such as Carol Browner and Alice Rivlin
you had Italian American Leon Panetta
In other words, you had a ton of people with different heritages, and races and they all thought pretty much the same way. Left wing diversity-people who look different but have almost no diversity of thought

That's lazy stereotyping.... Can't someone from the Ivy League do better?

That's lazy stereotyping.... Can't someone from the Ivy League do better?

are you upset about the Ivy league? and you really have no room to talk about lazy stereotyping do you? you seem to think that what counts is the race of a person rather than their character or ideas.

He's doing a Sean Hannity imitation. It's the intellectually lazy form of "Republicans good, Democrats bad."

are you upset about the Ivy league? and you really have no room to talk about lazy stereotyping do you? you seem to think that what counts is the race of a person rather than their character or ideas.

No, I'm just surprised that someone who claims a superior education throws out swill like that as an argument. You'd never have gotten away with that stuff in law school.

And of course you are also lazily and dishonestly characterizing my position - which is typical of someone trolling versus the argument we'd expect from a highly educated lawyer.

Do you dispute that women might have a different perspective than men? Or that urban blacks might see the important issues differently than a country club rich white boy? Bottom line is there isn't any doubt that's true - you can look at polling or voting and see clear divides by demographics, rural versus urban, women versus men, by race, by religion, region, education. Who's views are correct? Depends on your perspective.

I don't have a problem with you preferring rich white dudes who like guns - they'll do a fine job protecting your interests because they'll likely see the world much like you do. From their privileged perch, things look a certain way. Why wouldn't others also prefer to see those with power with similar perspectives of their own, whatever that is?

my perception based on what they said while in office. You seem rather hung up on race. Why is that?
So no evidence to back it..just your partisan “perception”...OK thanks for playing.

So no evidence to back it..just your partisan “perception”...OK thanks for playing.

and what do you have-pictures of people with nothing else. you have no idea if women sought the jobs those republicans have. You are just guessing that the GOP somehow prevented people who support the GOP agenda who were not white from running.

White males are pretty ****in included. It's not an attack to suggest other people should be included also. Jesus Christ. Touchy, are we?

When you hear the same mantra from the same group over decades, YES...you get a little "touchy" about it.
About as "touchy" as black males are about the N word.

...but, in all fairness, as i am a fair person, I have not experienced any of their hate personally. Only their rhetoric. They love to talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Still, I don't like hearing it one bit. Yes, i am touchy about it.

...and kudos to you, my friend, for your perceptive skills. :2wave:

:lol: We all have our own little touchy buttons, don't we?

I appreciate your opinion. I feel the far left is guilty of much of what you claim, but think you are somewhat blind to the transgressions of the right. I do not understand how long time Republicans can be labeled RINO's by the right it the GOP is true to its historical movement.

Blind to what transgressions?
Because if you can point out violence and hate, then I will stand right there with you and fight it.

I've seen violence and hate come from both sides of the isle. However a vast majority of it has been coming from the left and not the right.

Citation for this please.

It's not bigotry I'm describing. Oh well, I tried...

Then do you mind not forming your questions as such?

Because the last two times, it's been based on me making a decision solely on how these people look. Not how well they perform at their own job.

Then do you mind not forming your questions as such?

Because the last two times, it's been based on me making a decision solely on how these people look. Not how well they perform at their own job.

Recognizing that people who are different have different perspectives isn't bigotry. It's the opposite of bigotry in fact - 180 degrees from bigotry. It's embracing people who are different because they are different and recognizing the value of different perspectives and welcoming those differences of perspective as useful.

It's actually kind of funny that she thinks voters shouldn't determine elections.

Oh man I fell asleep last night and woke up in 2020 because apparently people have voted.

At some point the Democrats will need to decide what's more important to them, diversity or winning elections. I'm not saying they should pander to the racist, sexist segment of the population that will only ever vote for white men. At the same time, pandering to the segment of Democrats who insist on diversity quotas isn't a winning strategy either. Obama absolutely got votes simply because he's black. He was also well-qualified, articulate, and charismatic. Clinton got votes because she's a woman. She lost the election because she was not particularly articulate or charismatic. If the Democrats want to run a woman or a minority, then find the right one that can win the election. Otherwise we're in for another 4 years of Trump.

Although in this particular case, the age of the Democrats' top 3 candidates has me a lot more concerned than their race or sex. I like both Sanders and Biden, but either of them would be significantly older than any other candidate that has ever run for President let alone one. I feel like either of them would be limited to one term due to their age. Beto O'Rourke is young, but I don't know that much about him to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom