• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart sued for refusing to sell ammo to Oregon man, 20

So is discrimination based on age in most states, including Oregon.

Indeed it is. I found this. The stores are in fact in the wrong:

https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analy...rifles-to-those-under-21-is-probably-illegal/

One of these days, maybe we'll get cons to understand that discriminating against gay people is wrong too, but I doubt it.

Maybe the stores can say selling ammo to those under 21 is against their sincerely held religious beliefs. Seems to be a good enough excuse to discriminate against people like me.

Irrelevant. A store does not have to sell it to anyone under 21 as long as they apply that rule to EVERYONE.

How about not selling cakes to LGTB weddings as long as it is applied to everyone?

What discrimination? That the guy was under age? That store does not have to sell anything it doesn't to as long as that rule applies to ANYONE under 21.

Now, if the store refused to sell ammo only to black people under 21, but white people under 21 could buy it, that would be discrimination. This lawsuit won't survive an hour in court.

Oregon bans age discrimination in retail sales. If he can legally purchase the ammo they are legally obligated to sell to him.

What discrimination? That the guy was under age? That store does not have to sell anything it doesn't to as long as that rule applies to ANYONE under 21.

Now, if the store refused to sell ammo only to black people under 21, but white people under 21 could buy it, that would be discrimination. This lawsuit won't survive an hour in court.

Age discrimination is still discrimination and is I expect a protected class. So not selling to anyone under 25 (of whatever product is discrimination, just as the decision not to sell to jews or blacks would be

I believe Oregon bans age discrimination in retail sales. If he can legally purchase the ammo they are legally obligated to sell to him.

See post #28. Already conceded and addressed with link.

Age discrimination is still discrimination and is I expect a protected class. So not selling to anyone under 25 (of whatever product is discrimination, just as the decision not to sell to jews or blacks would be

Read post #28.

I'd say the guy has a good case here. Oregon law does include age discrimination in public accommodation laws (as long as over 18). The only exceptions are for things that are already age limited higher in laws, like alcohol and marijuana.

Civil Rights Division ENFORCING CIVIL RIGHTS LAWS

"A place of public accommodation is defined in state law as any place that offers the public accommodations, advantages, facilities or privileges, whether in the nature of goods, services, lodging, amusements or otherwise. It is illegal to discriminate in places of public accommodation on the basis of race, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, physical or mental disability, or age (18 years of age and older)."

Personally, I think people need to just be legally an adult at one single age (prefer 18 since that is when most people graduate high school and get out on their own, making their own decisions). I'm for changing alcohol laws (and marijuana laws if they are at alcohol age rather than cigarette age) to 18. And I'm against not renting to those under 25. In fact, over 20 years ago car rental places in at least NY were told that they had to rent to those under 25.

https://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/30/nyregion/car-rental-companies-ordered-to-accept-young-drivers.html

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/car-rental-tip-sheet

It will depend on if a state includes age in their public accommodation laws, but at least some do. And part of it comes down to things like whether anyone has challenged policies or not as well.

Everyone is not LGBT. So your post makes no sense.

Not everyone is under 21 or over 21 so the law does not apply to everyone

The government has made laws that do discriminate regarding age (based on assumed maturity levels to "protect" the young), which makes it legal. But a business who creates an age based discriminatory policy is very open towards lawsuits

Not everyone is under 21 or over 21 so the law does not apply to everyone

The government has made laws that do discriminate regarding age (based on assumed maturity levels to "protect" the young), which makes it legal. But a business who creates an age based discriminatory policy is very open towards lawsuits

See post #28. I'm going to keep saying it until you read it.

Yeah I should learn to read the entire thread before posting. Sorry about that.

Thanks! I was wrong. Now if we could just get some of our conservative members to admit that once in a while, it would be a much better forum. ;)

And age discrimination isnt allowed either. But you are purposely ignoring that.

No, I'm not. Does anyone read past page one? See post #28. I'm not like many posters here. I can admit when I make a mistake.

Indeed it is. I found this. The stores are in fact in the wrong:

https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analy...rifles-to-those-under-21-is-probably-illegal/

One of these days, maybe we'll get cons to understand that discriminating against gay people is wrong too, but I doubt it.

Maybe the stores can say selling ammo to those under 21 is against their sincerely held religious beliefs. Seems to be a good enough excuse to discriminate against people like me.

I might have been wrong too. It appears that age is only included in some states' laws regarding public accommodations (New York and Oregon are the two I can confirm to have found). But unlike many other such characteristics, it is hard to find a list of which states include it. There are definitely several that I found that do not include age (and I knew it wasn't included in the federal CRA).

I might have been wrong too. It appears that age is only included in some states' laws regarding public accommodations (New York and Oregon are the two I can confirm to have found). But unlike many other such characteristics, it is hard to find a list of which states include it. There are definitely several that I found that do not include age (and I knew it wasn't included in the federal CRA).

I think that's why I had the initial reaction I did.

WTF? Where does that come from? Unless you mean BB gun.

I mean the OP was going to use age discrimination as his angle to fly his victim card... so how is any imposed age limitation not age discrimination then?

The whole thing is over the Parkland shooting and kids being led by the nose and fed what to say.What? You think this shooting is somehow magically different then any other,that events aren't being helped along?

Back
Top Bottom