• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart sued for refusing to sell ammo to Oregon man, 20

What discrimination? That the guy was under age? That store does not have to sell anything it doesn't to as long as that rule applies to ANYONE under 21.

Now, if the store refused to sell ammo only to black people under 21, but white people under 21 could buy it, that would be discrimination. This lawsuit won't survive an hour in court.

Last edited:
I am for selling ammo to a 20 year old.

By the OP's standard of discrimination I'm just trying to find out how not selling to a 20 year old is discrimination but not selling to a 12 year old is okay.

Are you for selling a gun to a 12 year old?

Stupid question since a 12 year old isn't a legal adult. But you knew that, you were just trying to distract from the issue.

So.. Do you support age-based discrimination? C'mon, step up to the plate and stop playing stupid games with semantics and answer the question. You know what the question is and you know what the criteria are, so how about just answering the question instead of trying to play games...

Stupid question since a 12 year old isn't a legal adult. But you knew that, you were just trying to distract from the issue.

huh.... so you are for discriminating against children.

So.. Do you support age-based discrimination? C'mon, step up to the plate and stop playing stupid games with semantics and answer the question. You know what the question is and you know what the criteria are, so how about just answering the question instead of trying to play games...

And in almost any other topic cons are always bitching about how businesses should be able to sell to whomever they want whenever they want however they want. Then this comes along... and the victim card flies out.

What discrimination? That the guy was under age? That store does not have to sell anything it doesn't to as long as that rule applies to ANYONE under 21.

Now, if the store refused to sell ammo only to black people under 21, but white people under 21 could buy it, that would be discrimination.

The kid wasn't under age. It's legal for an 18 year old in Oregon to purchase a shotgun and ammunition. The decision was made at the store or corporate level.

By the OP's standard of discrimination I'm just trying to find out how not selling to a 20 year old is discrimination but not selling to a 12 year old is okay.

Eighteen is the legal age in Oregon to buy not only ammo but long arms...

Twenty is greater than eighteen so the purchase should have been allowed. Now a store can refuse to sell to almost anyone they wish. So they can legally refuse to sell and face the backlash.

Now, if the store refused to sell ammo only to black people under 21, but white people under 21 could buy it, that would be discrimination. This lawsuit won't survive an hour in court.

Try again, it's legal to sell firearms and ammunition to people over the age of 18 in Oregon.
Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Oregon | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

This is store policy, not Oregon law and it is clearly age discrimination. So do you support this kind of discrimination or do you fight against it?

The kid wasn't under age. It's legal for an 18 year old in Oregon to purchase a shotgun and ammunition. The decision was made at the store or corporate level.

Irrelevant. A store does not have to sell it to anyone under 21 as long as they apply that rule to EVERYONE.

huh.... so you are for discriminating against children.

And in almost any other topic cons are always bitching about how businesses should be able to sell to whomever they want whenever they want however they want. Then this comes along... and the victim card flies out.

You forgot "I'm going to play silly games and avoid a serious discussion that would expose my hypocrisy."

I say we fight it. What do you say?

This clearly spells it out:

Oregon law allows residents age 18 and older to buy shotguns, rifles and ammunition for them.

The lawsuits say Fred Meyer, Bi-Mart, Dick's and Walmart violate Oregon statutes protecting residents against discrimination based on race, religion, sexual orientation or age, among other things. The law specifically says that the state can ban the sale of alcohol or marijuana to minors but doesn't mention guns.

The law says 18 and older in that state can buy ammo. I am not too familiar with the complete laws of Oregon but based on the law it does seem like age discrimination restricting people of age by law to buy ammo due to their age.

You forgot "I'm going to play silly games and avoid a serious discussion that would expose my hypocrisy."

Just trying to find any, if at all, consistency in your views. Not that I thought I'd have any success in doing so.

I say we fight it. What do you say?

This clearly spells it out:

The law says 18 and older in that state can buy ammo. I am not too familiar with the complete laws of Oregon but based on the law it does seem like age discrimination restricting people of age by law to buy ammo due to their age.

Hmm...now that I look at it, you may be right. However, I need more info on what businesses can and cannot do in Oregon.

So do we support or fight discrimination??
Fight (or at least object on internet message boards). I’m opposed to refusing to sell firearms to adults based on their age, refusing to bake wedding cakes for couples based on their sexual orientation and refusing to allow innocent people in to your country based on their nationality. Are you with me? :)

It is definitely age discrimination but lots of age discrimination takes place before turning 25 that is legally allowed. If a car rental company can say they won’t rent to adults under 25 then why can’t they say they won’t sell ammo to an adult under 21?

Back
Top Bottom