• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News' Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson programs violated Britain's broadcast standards, watchdog

Oh...I think there is value in pointing out the reality of the differences between our countries. Its especially helpful when peopled start saying "gosh...wouldnt it be swell if we were like THOSE guys?"
No worries, I'd never say that about youse guys.:2razz:

Thank God here In Murica we actually have free speech. Right?

Lol, Britain is now the final arbiter of what is fair and balanced? BTW, you realize Fox no longer uses that blurb, right?

Wait, lemme see if I care. Nope, not a bit. :yawn:

You're confusing freedom of speech with using an official news outlet to disseminate propaganda.

In areas where the authority of "News" is regulated, it is wholly unsurprising that Fox News would fail even the lowest standards of impartiality.

From a country that arrests their citizens for making Facebook posts critical of Fundamentalist Muslims...even arresting British citizens MARRIED to Muslims...its hard to much give a **** about their opinions or laws regarding US broadcasts.

That sounds like the type of throwaway aphorism that's true whenever it's in alignment with partisanship, and false whenever it's not.

Oh...I think there is value in pointing out the reality of the differences between our countries. Its especially helpful when peopled start saying "gosh...wouldnt it be swell if we were like THOSE guys?"

It certainly would make it harder for a foreign adversary to weaponize our idiot class if we didn't have a propaganda network already connected to that very idiot class.

Yup, it came via Sky's satellite (all of Sky's packages do in the UK) and was paywall. Not specifically Fox itself but the package in which it came.

Stopped being commercially viable since in the end it had virtually no subscribers.

Well no subscribers is a bit much.. it was part of the standard package..So anyone who had Sky would have Fox.. but it had no viewers :)

Also found out, that Fox News was removed from all countries in Europe.

Thank God here In Murica we actually have free speech. Right?

Lol, Britain is now the final arbiter of what is fair and balanced? BTW, you realize Fox no longer uses that blurb, right?

Wait, lemme see if I care. Nope, not a bit. :yawn:

Britain has a requirement on its broadcasrters to present a fair and balanced output. Fox failed the test. Sky (The British arm of News International can manage it.)

Britain has a requirement on its broadcasrters to present a fair and balanced output. Fox failed the test. Sky (The British arm of News International can manage it.)

They all can funny enough. Even RT for now..

Well no subscribers is a bit much.. it was part of the standard package..So anyone who had Sky would have Fox.. but it had no viewers :)

Also found out, that Fox News was removed from all countries in Europe.
I recall from times when I still had Sky down here (on account of "the housemate/-mistress") that one could subscribe to different parcels. Most expensive one being the "all-in" which covered the whole lot, including all film channels and anything "sports". The cheapest being "news" and some other inanities like the equivalent of "how to clean house and remain sexy for your hubby at the same time" (or something like that):mrgreen:

In any case, I found it all to be an utter waste of money but the things one does for keeping up the household atmosphere. Even where "Eastenders" did lots towards curbing sanity.:lol:

That was another thing, even where BBC was "free-to-air", it was on the Sky platform and you couldn't get it down here without at least subscribing to the cheapest package. Unless, that is, you used a non-dedicated receiver that Sky did everything to screw up.

They all can funny enough. Even RT for now..
I get (like you, I'd imagine)
CNN international via the 19.2 deg. E. Astra.

Well, their constant "Trump is a dick" approach is pretty tedious. Okay, that's what he is maybe, but one would think there are more news in the world.

I don't bother much with them.

I get (like you, I'd imagine)
CNN international via the 19.2 deg. E. Astra.

Well, their constant "Trump is a dick" approach is pretty tedious. Okay, that's what he is maybe, but one would think there are more news in the world.

I don't bother much with them.

Yea, but they are pretty weak compared to the US channels. CNN International has been going down hill for years, mostly because they are saving money by using US based reporting instead of their great international wing.

I recall from times when I still had Sky down here (on account of "the housemate/-mistress") that one could subscribe to different parcels. Most expensive one being the "all-in" which covered the whole lot, including all film channels and anything "sports". The cheapest being "news" and some other inanities like the equivalent of "how to clean house and remain sexy for your hubby at the same time" (or something like that):mrgreen:

In any case, I found it all to be an utter waste of money but the things one does for keeping up the household atmosphere. Even where "Eastenders" did lots towards curbing sanity.:lol:

That was another thing, even where BBC was "free-to-air", it was on the Sky platform and you couldn't get it down here without at least subscribing to the cheapest package. Unless, that is, you used a non-dedicated receiver that Sky did everything to screw up.

Yea they use to have packages... Entertainment, News, Children and 2 or 3 more. Now days it looks like standard package and you add on movie, sports and certain individual channels. You do know you can get Sky News on 19.2e right?

Yea they use to have packages... Entertainment, News, Children and 2 or 3 more. Now days it looks like standard package and you add on movie, sports and certain individual channels. You do know you can get Sky News on 19.2e right?
Yup, got it. Even where I've held a ferocious enmity for Murdoch for years now.

Yup, got it. Even where I've held a ferocious enmity for Murdoch for years now.

Yea but Murdoch does not control Sky News (yet). In fact did you see that they are thinking of closing Sky News if it means that the whole Sky-Newscorp-Fox-Disney deal can go through...

Yea but Murdoch does not control Sky News (yet). In fact did you see that they are thinking of closing Sky News if it means that the whole Sky-Newscorp-Fox-Disney deal can go through...
Yeah.

No great loss IMO.

My dislike for Murdoch stems from the (UK) Sky platform times and from the shenanigans imposed upon subscribers, but more from the mindlessness in which subscribers took it.

Okay, I took it as well but on account of the mindlessness of the household member that felt she couldn't live without it.

Then again she didn't have German or French as I do, so she couldn't really appreciate the merits of free-to-air that I could.

I believe Sky has a (paywall) German Sat-platform but isn't doing all that well there. Too much competition from an abundance of German free-to-air channels.

Heck they even have a Sky Espana thing down here (streaming via the net) but most aren't prepared to cough up the subscription fee (€ 10 per month?).

Yeah.

No great loss IMO.

My dislike for Murdoch stems from the (UK) Sky platform times and from the shenanigans imposed upon subscribers, but more from the mindlessness in which subscribers took it.

The company should not exist. Ever read up about how they ruined the competition back in the day? Absolutely criminal, but because it was done via Israel and the early internet, then nothing happened.

I believe Sky has a (paywall) German Sat-platform but isn't doing all that well there. Too much competition from an abundance of German free-to-air channels.

They do.. but they have football.

Heck they even have a Sky Espana thing down here (streaming via the net) but most aren't prepared to cough up the subscription fee (€ 10 per month?).

Yea seen it. Problem is, the channels you get are a bit.. hmmz. Only one I might want to see is SYFY. However saying that, it is a ton cheaper than the alternative to get these channels... via Movistar or other expensive solutions.

The company should not exist. Ever read up about how they ruined the competition back in the day? Absolutely criminal, but because it was done via Israel and the early internet, then nothing happened.
Ya, pointed it out at the time but Eastenders ruled out everything. And that (vomit, retch, gag) wasn't even Sky but the only way one could get it down here was via the Sky Sat-platform.
They do.. but they have football.
As do a load of others, but most have a paywall, I believe.
Yea seen it. Problem is, the channels you get are a bit.. hmmz. Only one I might want to see is SYFY. However saying that, it is a ton cheaper than the alternative to get these channels... via Movistar or other expensive solutions.
Yeah, true enough. I'm up in the hills anyway with no internet via cable. Have to live with WIMAX and where that'll do for everyday use, streaming can be a drudge. Cell is no better, at times I have to go outside to just make a call.

As do a load of others, but most have a paywall, I believe.

No.. Sky have Champions League, Europa League and the German league in Germany. The competitor has La Liga and the PL.

Yeah, true enough. I'm up in the hills anyway with no internet via cable. Have to live with WIMAX and where that'll do for everyday use, streaming can be a drudge. Cell is no better, at times I have to go outside to just make a call.

Same here, although my WIMAX has been for the most part good. ****ty thing is, that right across the road.. fiber, but since I am the only house on this side of the road... grr.

Didn't RT also get banned for a while?

I remember the UK allowing a Muslim Imam to speak publicly, & he openly teaches the virtues of killing gays during his sermons. Oh, but Hannity and Carlson sure are scary, aren't they?

Sigh... Hannity and Carlson are on a news channel regulated by an industry made and run regulator.... the Imam is in a mosque... do you understand the difference?

I remember the UK allowing a Muslim Imam to speak publicly, & he openly teaches the virtues of killing gays during his sermons. Oh, but Hannity and Carlson sure are scary, aren't they?
Do you even try to attempt posting in a manner where one thing has something to do with the other?

It's the UK. You can go to jail for singing "Kung Fu Fighting" in the UK.
Then you'll have no problems in presenting us all with the charge sheet, let alone the sentence that led to being jailed.

Excerpts will do.

Back
Top Bottom