• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Senate passes bill blocking local rules protecting workers from heat

Out in the oilfield of Kern County if it got over 100, worktime was down to 15 minutes per hour by company mandate, which included mandatory FRC PPE. Not fun wearing that in the middle of summer. There were still heat stroke problems. I had my guys running piggyback forklifts with mounted fans and a little ice water sprayer attached to the IGLOO they could turn on. Used a bit more ice but worked pretty good and they could use it with the other hands if need be. We always kept two igloos on the trucks and one on the forklift two with ice and water the other ice and Gatorade. Kept Gatorade powder on hand too.
I have more trouble dealing with heat than with cold. Must be the Canadian in me but I'd rather work in -30C than 30C (85F) above.
How you guys in the American south or (Gawdhelpus!) Australia can do it is beyond me.

Already did.

No you didn't. Unless it was in that horribly-formatted word salad of a post, which you chose not to put in any paragraph breaks. Care to try again, this time with decent writing skills?

You no idea what the local policies are. They could be detrimental to people. Companies still have to meet OSHA standard in any case.

From the article:

"OSHA has not yet issued specific federal rules to protect workers from dangerously high temperatures..."

The Republicans are claiming they did this so the federal and state policies would be consistent and not confusing, lol.

I have more trouble dealing with heat than with cold. Must be the Canadian in me but I'd rather work in -30C than 30C (85F) above.
How you guys in the American south or (Gawdhelpus!) Australia can do it is beyond me.

Heat is the number one weather-related fatality in this country.

Trust me when I say this, I can deal with it because of experience. Don't really like to. That said I would much rather deal with the cold. Its much easier IMO to deal with it. The only thing I don't like about the cold is when its only cold enough to be wet. That just sucks. Dry cold is much better. Sorta like dry heat. :ROFLMAO:

No you didn't. Unless it was in that horribly-formatted word salad of a post, which you chose not to put in any paragraph breaks. Care to try again, this time with decent writing skills?
Nope.

The companies that hire those employees will be pleased and sure to make generous donations to Republican causes.

Florida is an "at will" work state.

I'm surprised Tallahassee hasn't banned Labor Day.

If workers are already protected why are Republicans voting against breaks for workers?
Even in a poorly written article, you must have given extra effort to not actually read it:

"Supporters of Senate Bill 1492 said the measure will help establish uniform regulations, rather than having rules applied inconsistently across the state."

Back
Top Bottom