• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Florida Senate passes bill blocking local rules protecting workers from heat

Phys251

Purge evil with Justice
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal

In effect, the bill would strip cities and counties of the ability to require water breaks for workers and time to rest in the shade throughout the day.

The legislation comes after the planet notched its hottest year in recorded history in 2023.

Florida being Flori-duh yet again. :rolleyes:

I won't send my money to Florida unless it's something that my wife or kids really want and it's only made there. They need to eject these idiots from government. We need to help them to do that.

And remember now the republican party is the party that stands for the average worker and right to work states, such as flori-duh. This party sells fear and bullshit to their base in massive amounts and they still can't get enough. Republicans tell us if you would, why this is a good idea?

I've lived in florida for thirty five years and the summers are and have been getting more brutal each and every year. People who have never been to florida in the summer have no idea of how intense the sun is here. Does where you live average over 100 days of ninety degrees or above, like where I live. I would bet it reaches a hundred and thirty in the sun on most summer days. Let these republican politicians put a lounge chair out in the sun with cool drinks and see if they can stand it for more than an hour.

Republicans, they do nothing good for the average citizen, let alone the poor ones who support them.

And remember now the republican party is the party that stands for the average worker and right to work states, such as flori-duh. This party sells fear and bullshit to their base in massive amounts and they still can't get enough. Republicans tell us if you would, why this is a good idea?

I've lived in florida for thirty five years and the summers are and have been getting more brutal each and every year. People who have never been to florida in the summer have no idea of how intense the sun is here. Does where you live average over 100 days of ninety degrees or above, like where I live. I would bet it reaches a hundred and thirty in the sun on most summer days. Let these republican politicians put a lounge chair out in the sun with cool drinks and see if they can stand it for more than an hour.

Republicans, they do nothing good for the average citizen, let alone the poor ones who support them.
Living in a Republican state for decades will teach you everything you need to know about how much that party values workers. I'd describe their attitude as malicious contempt.

Depends on exactly what the rules are and how flexible they are. If the local rules are inflexible and strict and were they are applicable, that could be a problem. You still have OSHA to contend with still. However depending on temps and whatnot what is being done and the variability of weather can make things complicated. Its similar to making people wear FRC's in the oilfield when fire is NOT a major concern. In an office its not a problem, in the winter working outside not much of a problem, in the middle of summer outside doing heavy work, is a major problem. FRC's in the summertime especially, adds to the heatstroke problem that already exists and reduces productivity further. FRC's have their purpose in the appropriate setting where fire can be a concern such as a petroleum processing plant, steel mill, ect. So when adding regulations one needs to be careful about the actual consequences of said regulation. To be honest heat management needs to be done on site with the supervisors to make sure their people are kept out of trouble and to make them as productive can be safely. It is in this day and age in the companies interest to make sure their people are well hydrated and well cooled so as to be as productive as possible for the money they are paying as well as preventing foreseeable accidents that could cost the company in a lawsuit. Many times workers in the heat will get busy doing things and forget to take breaks and hydrate when they should and get themselves into trouble. Its not the company pushing people its people pushing themselves many times.

Depends on exactly what the rules are and how flexible they are. If the local rules are inflexible and strict and were they are applicable, that could be a problem. You still have OSHA to contend with still. However depending on temps and whatnot what is being done and the variability of weather can make things complicated. Its similar to making people wear FRC's in the oilfield when fire is NOT a major concern. In an office its not a problem, in the winter working outside not much of a problem, in the middle of summer outside doing heavy work, is a major problem. FRC's in the summertime especially, adds to the heatstroke problem that already exists and reduces productivity further. FRC's have their purpose in the appropriate setting where fire can be a concern such as a petroleum processing plant, steel mill, ect. So when adding regulations one needs to be careful about the actual consequences of said regulation. To be honest heat management needs to be done on site with the supervisors to make sure their people are kept out of trouble and to make them as productive can be safely. It is in this day and age in the companies interest to make sure their people are well hydrated and well cooled so as to be as productive as possible for the money they are paying as well as preventing foreseeable accidents that could cost the company in a lawsuit. Many times workers in the heat will get busy doing things and forget to take breaks and hydrate when they should and get themselves into trouble. Its not the company pushing people its people pushing themselves many times.

Paragraph breaks are your friend. And why are you defending this sick policy?

Way I heard it Gatorade was developed at the University of Florida because their football team, the Gators, had a terrible problem with cramping from practicing in the Florida summers.
Back in the day job site water coolers, those stainless steel Igloo coolers, all had a box of salt tablets attached but then 'salt' became a four-letter word. I used to carry a canteen when I was way above ground.
Point being that working in the heat can be a definite health hazard if precautions aren't taken.

I do my best every election cycle.
I'm in a similar situation, and I do the same. Do you often find that the Democrats don't even field a candidate in some state and local races? I do. It makes me angry.

Paragraph breaks are your friend. And why are you defending this sick policy?
You no idea what the local policies are. They could be detrimental to people. Companies still have to meet OSHA standard in any case.

Living in a Republican state for decades will teach you everything you need to know about how much that party values workers. I'd describe their attitude as malicious contempt.
I think cruelty is the point. Right to work state almost automatically means lower wages than other states and you are in luck if you can get into a union place here in flori-duh.

How the base can by into their leadership's bullshit election after election is what truly amazes me. These poor southern states, all run by republicans, where the conditions never get better and yet election after election they vote for folks like tommy tuberville, mtg, and gaetz and of course trump. You can't fix gullible or stupid has become crystal clear to me, sadly it hasn't to these folks.

You no idea what the local policies are. They could be detrimental to people. Companies still have to meet OSHA standard in any case.

Explain to us how breaks from the oppressive Florida heat are "detrimental to people."

I'm in a similar situation, and I do the same. Do you often find that the Democrats don't even field a candidate in some state and local races? I do. It makes me angry.
My local elections for my very small city, basically all republicans and like most florida counties too, all republicans. Only the cities tend to go blue.

Way I heard it Gatorade was developed at the University of Florida because their football team, the Gators, had a terrible problem with cramping from practicing in the Florida summers.
Back in the day job site water coolers, those stainless steel Igloo coolers, all had a box of salt tablets attached but then 'salt' became a four-letter word. I used to carry a canteen when I was way above ground.
Point being that working in the heat can be a definite health hazard if precautions aren't taken.
Indeed it was for the gators football team.

My local elections for my very small city, basically all republicans and like most florida counties too, all republicans. Only the cities tend to go blue.
I find it to be ridiculous. I went to vote on an off year, and there were only Republicans running in every race. I had to cancel my ballot and leave. I mean, at least ****ing run somebody so that we can vote against Republicans. It's like the Democrats in some states aren't even trying. I assume that it's a money thing, but FFS.

Out in the oilfield of Kern County if it got over 100, worktime was down to 15 minutes per hour by company mandate, which included mandatory FRC PPE. Not fun wearing that in the middle of summer. There were still heat stroke problems. I had my guys running piggyback forklifts with mounted fans and a little ice water sprayer attached to the IGLOO they could turn on. Used a bit more ice but worked pretty good and they could use it with the other hands if need be. We always kept two igloos on the trucks and one on the forklift two with ice and water the other ice and Gatorade. Kept Gatorade powder on hand too.

Indeed it was for the gators football team.
In Mexico you can buy bottles of electrolytes in the grocery and convenience stores. In the Yukatan Peninsula the locals, of Mayan stock, all drink them too.
When we first got there, before I knew that, the dehydration was so bad it started to affect my brain function. I was having trouble navigating the alphabetical system in my Spanish-English dictionary, for example.

Explain to us how breaks from the oppressive Florida heat are "detrimental to people."
The breaks are not the problem, its how they are mandated, and those mandates are implemented.

The breaks are not the problem, its how they are mandated, and those mandates are implemented.

Explain. All you've been doing is spewing soundbites.

Back
Top Bottom