• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Final 2012 Presidential Debate, Foreign Policy

I disagree. The president is responsible for all of the job, not just the economy, as Pres. G.W. Bush discovered nine months after he took office.

I don't disagree, but I don't think many voters will be choosing based on perceived foreign policy ability, and I don't think they have since the Vietnam War ended.

I don't disagree, but I don't think many voters will be choosing based on perceived foreign policy ability, and I don't think they have since the Vietnam War ended.

I understand your reference to Vietnam, but 2004 was a pretty rancorous election based on national security.

The economy is our most prominent concern, but it's great hubris if we don't examine the whole package. It can come back to bite us.

Romney's performance last night left me with some concerns.

I understand your reference to Vietnam, but 2004 was a pretty rancorous election based on national security.

The economy is our most prominent concern, but it's great hubris if we don't examine the whole package. It can come back to bite us.

Romney's performance last night left me with some concerns.

His desire for nuclear armament scared me snotless.

I missed that. I searched around, but I can't find a definitive statement.

I missed that. I searched around, but I can't find a definitive statement.

Romney criticized Obama for nuclear disarmament; he was discussing another nation's stockpile of weapons. Russia, maybe.

I actually heard the debate twice, so I'm fairly confident I heard that correctly. For someone like me, who grew up doing air raid drills and remembers the Cuban Missile Crisis, Romney's eagerness for the red telephone is terrifying.

Romney criticized Obama for nuclear disarmament; he was discussing another nation's stockpile of weapons. Russia, maybe.

I actually heard the debate twice, so I'm fairly confident I heard that correctly. For someone like me, who grew up doing air raid drills and remembers the Cuban Missle Crisis, Romney's eagerness for the red telephone is terrifying.

I'll go check a transcript. I had to get up a few times during the debate, so it's very possible I missed it.

I'm a bit younger, so I don't remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I do remember sirens going off during lunch or recess at one school and then in another, we lined up in the hallway and they drew the "blast curtains". Someone who would like to increase arms, is definitely an issue with me.

Thanks Pinkie. :)

Snotless?
I have allergies, so if you really are in short supply, I can send you some snot....:shock:

Snotless?
I have allergies, so if you really are in short supply, I can send you some snot....:shock:

I feel ya. It's hay fever season here and when it rains, I feel like I'm breathing mud.

:(

Snotless?

Don't get snotty with Pinkie, young man.

I'll go check a transcript. I had to get up a few times during the debate, so it's very possible I missed it.

I'm a bit younger, so I don't remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, but I do remember sirens going off during lunch or recess at one school and then in another, we lined up in the hallway and they drew the "blast curtains". Someone who would like to increase arms, is definitely an issue with me.

Thanks Pinkie. :)

Dagnabit -- I tried to google this and all I got was the candidates' POVs on nuclear capability for Iran.

I feel ya. It's hay fever season here and when it rains, I feel like I'm breathing mud.

I grew up in east TX, in humidity....once I discovered dry climates, I left TX and never went back....have lived in ID, UT, and AZ since leaving the Navy in 1977....

When they were debating this, Obama said something to Romney like "Don't worry. You'd still have more than enough to blow up the whole world." And I think Romney said he'd consider nuking Iran. If I am remembering that right, he's one helluva friend of Israel, assuming he realizes that nuking Iran is exactly the same as nuking the entire region.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's close.

BTW, Obama is no saint on nuclear disarmament himself -- he restarted this nation's nuclear weapons manufacture last year. He just doesn't seem as trigger-happy as Romney did.

Dagnabit -- I tried to google this and all I got was the candidates' POVs on nuclear capability for Iran.

I did as well. :( Maybe you will remember where you heard it later.

When they were debating this, Obama said something to Romney like "Don't worry. You'd still have more than enough to blow up the whole world." And I think Romney said he'd consider nuking Iran. If I am remembering that right, he's one helluva friend of Israel, assuming he realizes that nuking Iran is exactly the same as nuking the entire region.

I'm paraphrasing, but that's close.

BTW, Obama is no saint on nuclear disarmament himself -- he restarted this nation's nuclear weapons manufacture last year. He just doesn't seem as trigger-happy as Romney did.

I doubt he is trigger happy. Most likely he is trying to appear more Reagan-like as opposed to Obama's Carter-like position....remember how that turned out? We got the first of many who never saw a deficit he didn't like....

I doubt he is trigger happy. Most likely he is trying to appear more Reagan-like as opposed to Obama's Carter-like position....remember how that turned out? We got the first of many who never saw a deficit he didn't like....

I'd hate to think anyone so demented as to see nuclear war as a viable alternative could ever get this close to the white house.

Ah, a fellow Boomer.

Nice to meetcha, UtahBill.
likewise.... Been retired for 8 years, got "offered a deal I couldn't refuse" from my employer....retire early now or get laid off next year. But, the domestic supervisor was still working and getting paid well, the house was paid off, the kids out of college and on their own, so it was OK. I like it that so many decent citizens are still paying into Social Security for us old folks...

I'd hate to think anyone so demented as to see nuclear war as a viable alternative could ever get this close to the white house.

we won't start it, that will most likely happen in the middle east first...

:alert History Lesson Time :alert:ind::cuckoo:

Let me remind you of General Curtis LeMay

VP running mate of George Wallace in 1968

"I think there are many times when it would be most efficient to use nuclear weapons. However, the public opinion in this country and throughout the world throw up their hands in horror when you mention nuclear weapons, just because of the propaganda that's been fed to them."

or as one old timer put it to me, "Curtis LeMay pretty much united everyone by scaring the hell out of the entire country when he said that nuclear bombs were just another weapon in the American arsenal and we should use them."

Dagnabit, I can't find the portion of the debate transcript I want. I'm sorry Gina; I'm not sure how else to look.

I could be misremembering, but I really don't think so.

Dagnabit, I can't find the portion of the debate transcript I want. I'm sorry Gina; I'm not sure how else to look.

I could be misremembering, but I really don't think so.

it's worse when you find that you are remembering things that didn't happen..been there done that.

Back
Top Bottom