• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Does "God" Actually "Bless America"???

Are you gonna take some imbecile's word for it or the Bible's/God's...

America is not mentioned by the bible, so I take it that we can't be his favorite.

Is America "god's" darling?

Does "god" not bless Australia, Denmark, or Japan?

1. Of course, "God" does NOT bless the United States of America.

a. Look at all the horrible violent crime every day.
b. Look at the terrible ethnic unpleasantness.
c. Look at the destruction of the middle class.

etc., etc., etc.

2. At present, at least, "God" DOES bless Japan.

a. Look at the absence of violent crime.
b. Look at the absence of graffiti on buildings, trains, etc.
c. Look at the cleanliness of the country.

BUT Japan will lose "God" 's blessing if it ever relaxes its strict policy as to who may come and settle there.

I think you'll be happier in general when you get to being ok with folks believing differently than you.

Why do you keep insisting I have a problem with people thinking differently????

Why do you keep insisting I have a problem with people thinking differently????

Because all your posts seem designed to get people to renounce your faith, and sometimes you seem frustrated that you can't make that happen.

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong...it's just the way you come off. Don't worry, I still love ya bud...otherwise I wouldn't be here chatting. It's just that some of these threads seem to have a goal attached, and I'm not sure you're ever going to realize that goal.

Whatever God is, it certainly isn't something that involves itself in the trivial tribal matters of culture-bearing primates on this particular planet in this particular remote star system.

OM

Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.
Isaiah 40:15

America is not mentioned by the bible, so I take it that we can't be his favorite.

Most Bibles are flawed.

Defective Bible Omits Any Mention Of America

Defective Bible Omits Any Mention Of America | The Babylon Bee

-----------

When someone pleads "God Bless America" is it a given that they want God to curse all others?

Behold, the nations are as a drop of a bucket, and are counted as the small dust of the balance: behold, he taketh up the isles as a very little thing.
Isaiah 40:15

Ah yes, Deutero-Isaiah, an acolyte of Proto-Isaiah (Isaiah ben Amoz), and initiating his own set of writings at a time when he's giddy with the prospect that his Babylonian masters are cowering under the advance of Cyrus. And of course, as a Jew, was superstitious enough to believe that his choice of deity was somehow involved in all of that.

OM

Well, America, though not mentioned by name, is mentioned in prophecy and not so much in a good way...in the book of Revelation 13:11, the 7th world power is described as having “two horns like a lamb"...depicting the British Empire and the America, joined by common language, principles, and policies, working together...in many respects a dual English-speaking world power...this dual world power, having two horns like a lamb, suggesting a pretense of inoffensiveness but speaking like a dragon indicating that it uses threats, pressure, and violence to enforce acceptance of its form of rulership...

Well, America, though not mentioned by name, is mentioned in prophecy and not so much in a good way...in the book of Revelation 13:11, the 7th world power is described as having “two horns like a lamb"...depicting the British Empire and the America, joined by common language, principles, and policies, working together...in many respects a dual English-speaking world power...this dual world power, having two horns like a lamb, suggesting a pretense of inoffensiveness but speaking like a dragon indicating that it uses threats, pressure, and violence to enforce acceptance of its form of rulership...

:lamo

Prophecy means whatever people want it to mean.

It was a cryptically-veiled reference to the rule of Domitian after Nero; had nothing to do with western empires 2000 years later.

OM

The British Empire and America. A woolly little lamb. Harmless.

Things are so vague and symbolic, various passages are interpreted in so many ways that it makes every single interpretation out there as meaningless. When the situation changes, what the prophecy is allegedly about will change yet again.

Because all your posts seem designed to get people to renounce your faith, and sometimes you seem frustrated that you can't make that happen.

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong...it's just the way you come off. Don't worry, I still love ya bud...otherwise I wouldn't be here chatting. It's just that some of these threads seem to have a goal attached, and I'm not sure you're ever going to realize that goal.

Think about this for a second. Look at any thread posted anywhere here at DP.
What's the purpose of that thread? Is it to change somebody's mind? Does that ever happen? Ever?
Has anybody "changed" their political lean here at DP because of the threads they've read here?

In reality, every thread ever started here is nothing more than a talking point to flesh out what people think and how they think.
It's not about changing anyone's mind.

Asking questions. Digging for more information. Fleshing out the thought process and finding something more than just what's on the surface is an exercise in
establishing better understanding.

It may have absolutely NOTHING to do with understanding where Elvira and Logicman are coming from, and EVERYTHING to do
with understanding where I'm going.

I'm sick to death of politics. So I entertain myself with asking questions and debating positions here.
If I had any intention of trying to "convert" anyone away from religion I certainly wouldn't pick anonymous people on the internet
to convert. I've got more than enough family members I could focus on.

Does "god" play favorites with countries? Is America "god's" darling?

Is it a popularity contest or something?

Does "America" include Canada, Mexico, all of South America and Central America too?
Is Peru on the same level of "blessed" as say Kentucky?

Does "god" not bless Australia, Denmark, or Japan?

I mean, considering absolutely NONE of the biblical anything ever takes place in the USofA I have to wonder why so many in the USofA seem to think
"god" truly has a special place in his/her/it's "heart" for America?

How do we know that "god" truly likes America more than Iran? Or more than Greenland? Or more than China?

Is there anything biblical that suggests the USofA is somehow "god's chosen land"?
Or that citizens of the USofA are now "god's favorite people"?

If the biblical "god" is a real thing, wouldn't that "god" be getting rather frustrated and kinda pissed off at the USofA?

No. It's Germany. In both WW I and II tens of millions of German soldiers had *Got mit Uns* on their belt buckles, US soldiers did not. So the vote was in. Who are you to defy democracy?

Think about this for a second. Look at any thread posted anywhere here at DP.
What's the purpose of that thread? Is it to change somebody's mind? Does that ever happen? Ever?
Has anybody "changed" their political lean here at DP because of the threads they've read here?

In reality, every thread ever started here is nothing more than a talking point to flesh out what people think and how they think.
It's not about changing anyone's mind.

Asking questions. Digging for more information. Fleshing out the thought process and finding something more than just what's on the surface is an exercise in
establishing better understanding.

It may have absolutely NOTHING to do with understanding where Elvira and Logicman are coming from, and EVERYTHING to do
with understanding where I'm going.

I'm sick to death of politics. So I entertain myself with asking questions and debating positions here.
If I had any intention of trying to "convert" anyone away from religion I certainly wouldn't pick anonymous people on the internet
to convert. I've got more than enough family members I could focus on.

Well, then, you do you, bud...so long as you expect a lecture from time to time when you start talking out your ass. ;)

I like talking to you about this stuff...but sometimes the generalized things you say make me think you're calling me an asshole, which has about the same effect on me as it would on anyone else enjoying a conversation with someone they respect, and suddenly getting called an asshole. I've explained that sensitivity a few times now - it means something different to us than to you, we get that, and I think you do too. You probably shouldn't come in here with bait-y threads, and then act all injured and indignant when people call you out on it.

God Bless America is a prayer, not a statement. God blesses as God sees fit. I would suggest many people in America are blessed. I also know you don't believe in God, so therefore would not believe that Americans are blessed, and I cannot prove it to you. So, your question is unanswerable, except to reaffirm your own lack of belief - if we say no, you get to be right, and if we say yes, we're wrong because we believe in something we cannot prove, and you get to be right again. You're smart enough to think this through to the conclusion, so why ask the question? One can only assume it's either to give yourself an opportunity to be mean to fundies, or to pat yourself on the back for being such a genius.

If you want to ask the same question in such a way as to get good responses that don't end in the two outcomes above, try "What does your faith tell you about if America is blessed" or "does God care what happens to individual nations" or "does God pick sides in international conflict"...or even "what does the Bible say about divine intervention in politics". And leave off the scare quotes, everyone knows you're an atheist, when you're asking a question to folks who aren't you don't have to be a prick about it. Seriously, atheists are worse than vegans, get over it. ;)

God Bless America is a prayer, not a statement.

Yeah, um....not to many apparently.

To many Americans, not you damn Canadians, and for sure not those damn Mexicans, but the REAL Americans, the ones from the USof F'n A are god's new chosen people.

Yeah, um....not to many apparently.

To many Americans, not you damn Canadians, and for sure not those damn Mexicans, but the REAL Americans, the ones from the USof F'n A are god's new chosen people.

lol...well...you guys do patriotism like no other, so this isn't surprising. ;)

Yeah...I promise you that kind of thing is a bigger cringe for me than it is for you.

Religion has always been a tool to some. I'll never deny that. It's not what religion is...but anything can be weaponized and / or politicized. I'm surprised they'd make that claim with Carter still with us.

Yeah...I promise you that kind of thing is a bigger cringe for me than it is for you.

This is why there's great joy among many of us when we see that less and less people are participating in organized religion.

This is why there's great joy among many of us when we see that less and less people are participating in organized religion.

That's a sad thing. So many more people get something positive out of religion than abuse it - yes, I truly believe that. The positive impacts on community are so firmly established as to be taken for granted to the point of invisibility, while those who abuse it are front and center, seemingly celebrated by critics of the Church.

Everything aside, it's a hurtful thing...but an understandable one, I suppose. No one likes to be misrepresented...

That's a sad thing. So many more people get something positive out of religion than abuse it - yes, I truly believe that. The positive impacts on community are so firmly established as to be taken for granted to the point of invisibility, while those who abuse it are front and center, seemingly celebrated by critics of the Church.

Everything aside, it's a hurtful thing...but an understandable one, I suppose. No one likes to be misrepresented...

Even God...

Back
Top Bottom