• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you get angry when people speak a foreign language?

Do you get angry when people speak a foreign language?

• Total voters
Are you the kind if person who gets angry or even afraid when you hear others around you speaking in a language you don't understand?

If you're an American citizen, do you get angry when people in America speak a language that isn't English?

Would you ever confront someone speaking a language you don't understand and yell at them to stop speaking that way?

Personally, I find foreign languages quite intriguing and often times beautiful to listen to.
When members of the opposite sex speak a language I don't understand it can quickly become quite sexy in my mind.

I can't imagine getting pissed off at anyone for simply speaking in a language I don't understand.

I would have to be angry with myself much of the time, and my business would dry up awfully fast.

Though people I deal with often speak a lingo I barely understand, we usually find another language we can get along in.

A funny story from a guy who did business in an Arabic country 20-years ago. He did not understand the language, but he knew their numbers. When negotiating, he could decipher their numbers, and negotiate better... great... deals.

A guy I know who spoke Mandarin, did the same 25-years ago. Nobody expected him... a very young 6’4” round eye to speak the language. He was able to negotiate deals just above their threshold of pain.

As for the opposite sex... being a foreigner always helps.

PS. Arabic languages sound like they are angry.

Last edited:
I would have to be angry with myself much of the time, and my business would dry up awfully fast.

Uh oh, another anti-American. And a self professed conservative.

Are you the kind if person who gets angry or even afraid when you hear others around you speaking in a language you don't understand?

If you're an American citizen, do you get angry when people in America speak a language that isn't English?

Would you ever confront someone speaking a language you don't understand and yell at them to stop speaking that way?

Personally, I find foreign languages quite intriguing and often times beautiful to listen to.
When members of the opposite sex speak a language I don't understand it can quickly become quite sexy in my mind.

I can't imagine getting pissed off at anyone for simply speaking in a language I don't understand.

Nope. People can speak w/e language they want but if they are permanent residents here they should have a basic understanding of English. I'd expect nothing different than people permanently living in France to know French, Germany to know German, Arabic in the various MENA regions.

That's the only distinction I make and I do not assume, or even am bothered to think, if someone is speaking a different language than English that that's all they speak. I couldn't care less.

The real question is this: why are we allowing people to immigrate who can't speak English? Does that really benefit Americans?

Depends on what language those Americans speak, I guess... hehe

Depends on what language those Americans speak, I guess... hehe

You forgot yer “eh?”... “eh?”.

Test for ya:
What part of the country would you be in if you heard the following?

Stay where yer at B’y, I’m comm’in where ya to.

Test for ya:

In Eastern Canada a similar expression of "Stay where ya be, I'll come to where you're at. Except in Puerto Rico where it is in Spanish

In Eastern Canada a similar expression of "Stay where ya be, I'll come to where you're at. Except in Puerto Rico where it is in Spanish

Yep... Eastern Kanuckistani’s.
I heard two Newfie’s on a golf course use it. I can do a pretty good impression of them :)

I’ll trust Ol’Nate to give an honest reply. He’s a good egg.

I heard two Newfie’s on a golf course use it. I can do a pretty good impression of them :)

Yes he is, and Newfoundlander's, if you are not aware took in a massive number of US citizens when planes were grounded on 9/11
Many of these people had little to nothing to spare, fed them, bought them things they needed.Good people.

China has 2 different forms of Chinese: Mandarin, and Standard. The other languages are primarily Asian languages. The US has many different languages, English, Spanish, German, etc.

The two main versions of Chinese are called Mandarin and Cantonese, not standard. That is for spoken Chinese. For written it is traditional and simplified . The traditional versions would be mostly seen outside of mainland China Hong Kong Taiwan etc. Simplified was introduced during Mao to make it easier.
Of course different areas of China have different spoken versions of Chinese making it difficult for people to understand each other

I apologize for asking you why you get angry.

Why would you be upset at people who chose to live as they want? Isn't that supposed to be a central feature of America/being an American, personal freedom?

Again, you are trying to put words in my mouth....

Not good

I said that people should try to assimilate after coming here...as I tried when I went to Germany

Language and communication is important....learning the language of the country that you are joining would seem to me to be one of the basic things to do...but that is just my opinion

Then you do the mememememememe thing yourself. And to highlight your hypocrisy, you forget to mention your memememememe hypocrisy.

Now that would be a complete waste of time. You highlighted the conceited American me me me attitude perfectly. Why do I have to go further. Then you doubled down on it with this post of yours.

The "If it saves one life it is worth doing" is far far more important than your daughter's graduation. I kinda think that even your daughter would agree.

There is no MEMEMEMEMEME hypocrisy here.....when the government shuts down most of the lanes of already very congested I-5 without good cause and thus causes mass degradation of the quality of life in the region due to the unnecessary delays and pollution.......and as well lost productivity and increase fuel and labor costs "in an abundance of caution" for the safety of the respondents then it is not all about me.....it is about our government making poor choices....it is about the government harming this society by way of bad work......which impacts all of us.

What they should do is balance the safety needs of the responders with the best interests and needs of the citizens that they are supposed to be serving....governing well is all about the estabishing the proper balance, when government admits that they have no interest in doing that ("in an abundance of caution") then we should encourage them to turn in better work.

So we see you are condemning me without taking the time to learn about me and what I think, which is a very bad idea generally this assuming that you do in lieu of learning.

I encourage you to turn in better work.

NOTE: Hopefully this tangent of me getting called a liar has run its course. It was always a bad idea. Maybe camlok is ready to learn. We can only hope.

Last edited:
I live in a place where over 40 languages are spoken. I'd be angry all the time if it bothered me.

In truth I enjoy listening to other languages.

A number of people have pointed out that you are wrong. You are taking a blinkered, narrow minded viewpoint, which is another way of saying you are wrong.

The term "Ugly American" didn't just come about from the US myriad illegal invasions/terrorism, it speaks to a reality that is well known worldwide.

I don't think it is a right or wrong thing lol... I expect to learn the language if I choose to live in another country.

Test for ya:

lolz...in America or Canada? Cuz I'd call you a newfie if you were in Canada... ;)

Only in a very few situations would I be uncomfortable/irritated about it, when I am in private company and the conversation appears to be about me, that is a situation I do not like.

Talking about someone in a foreign language when they are there is not really decent IMHO.

But when out in public and 2 people talk in their own language, why would one get angry about that. If I were in a foreign country and I met up with someone Dutch or went to a Dutch restaurant and talked to the owners in Dutch, why would anybody get angry about that. I would not be angry if that happens in the Netherlands, it just foolish to do that IMHO. And a waste of time because the only person who looks like an idiot in that situation is you, for getting angry about nothing and being a douche too.

I don't get pissed off or even really notice if people converse in another language. What pisses me off is when I try to order something or get assistance with something I am purchasing at a major establishment, and the customer rep doesn't understand a lick of English, that annoys the hell out of me and I get my asshole on with the store managers over that sort of crap. I understand catering to people who speak a different language, but not to the exclusion of the native language at a major nationwide or regional establishment.

I speak several languages. When I am out in public, I speak English. It is the polite thing to do. Exceptions noted. I couldn't care less what language people speak when they are in their homes.

Speak Spanish; get laid.

It could benefit the many woefully ignorant Americans a great deal.

The real question is, why do so many Americans support such a lying, racist, sexual predator president?

I always did wonder how Bill Jefferson "BJ" Clinton got elected.

Shaddap, Zimmer, you know I hate your guts... :p

I've been told that since I moved back to the country, my "Canadian accent" (there is no accent, it's everyone else that talks weird) is more pronounced.. But I gotta say, our friends in Newfoundland and Quebec tie for first, in terms of identifiable accents...hehe... Things is, anyone I've met from there hasn't gotten vexed about other people noticing it. Best flight I ever had was on the way back from Halifax, Nova Scotia, and there was a middle aged guy from Newfoundland in the seat next to my wife and I. It was his first time in a plane, and he was headed to Edmonton for a 6 month work contract in the oil sands. So, plane takes off, and this guy starts going off a bit, he was obviously nervous. I'm dying, because he's about as from Newfoundland in his accent and expressions as you could possibly get without putting him in a yellow slicker raincoat, and I like him right away, so I figured, hell, 2.5 hours to Toronto, I'll have a conversation with the guy. Told me all about building his own house for his family, how he decided to go on these work contracts in the off season, when he can't fish, basically his whole life story...flight went by in a flash. Thing is, he knew he was NF AF, and he laughed about it too. It was all good.

But, he was from the country...St. John's is pretty much the same as most cities, with the added bonus of having some kickass seafood restaurants. I think Canada is still different from the states in some ways, especially in rural areas, but it's a lot less pronounced than it would have been 50 years ago...or even 30 years ago. I could tell you some pretty hilarious stories from when I was a kid...

Cool, people are different, just know that some people may think it it rude!

I know, I get that some people might think it's rude, and screw those people. They need to mind their own business.

I would think I'am being rude if I did it in a foreign country and I was perfectly capable of communicating in the native language.

You shouldn't have to check with strangers to see if it's okay to speak in another language.

Now, if I was in a group of people, as in "WITH a group of people", like we were all sitting down to dinner, and me and another friend who was less proficient were trying to talk about something and he didn't understand, I'd be polite and say, "I'm going to speak to Fredo in Italian for a moment, hope you don't mind", but that's as a courtesy to my other friends.

Among strangers in public establishment, I feel no such need, because my conversation doesn't include them.

Back
Top Bottom