• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Do you get angry when people speak a foreign language?

• Total voters

no, i don't. i work with a number of Chinese scientists, and they like to speak their own language at lunch or whenever. i kind of regret that i didn't learn another language. i do love English, though. writing poetry is my favorite thing to do, and English is a wonderful palette.

Are there many woefully ignorant immigrants?

Neat how you avoided the question.

Hopefully. Woefully ignorant of all the US propaganda. The result, maybe we will see world citizens, not the usual narrow minded, racist, melting potters of yesteryear.

no, i don't. i work with a number of Chinese scientists, and they like to speak their own language at lunch or whenever. i kind of regret that i didn't learn another language. i do love English, though. writing poetry is my favorite thing to do, and English is a wonderful palette.

Oh, btw, in regards to that article you linked to: Seems that ol' John Kelly doesn't have any ground to stand on, either.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-kelly-forgotten-history-lessons?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Are you the kind if person who gets angry or even afraid when you hear others around you speaking in a language you don't understand?

If you're an American citizen, do you get angry when people in America speak a language that isn't English?

Would you ever confront someone speaking a language you don't understand and yell at them to stop speaking that way?

Personally, I find foreign languages quite intriguing and often times beautiful to listen to.
When members of the opposite sex speak a language I don't understand it can quickly become quite sexy in my mind.

I can't imagine getting pissed off at anyone for simply speaking in a language I don't understand.

It certainly depends. If someone is unable to communicate effectively in English then no. If they are doing so to talk behind someone’s back or get out of a responsibility then yes.

Sweet. I PM'd that to myself to read later this evening.

The poster I was responding to has a long history here of rabid fear and hatred of Hispanics, at the very least. Which is sad, really, but 100x worse given that he claims to live in Southern California.

i wonder if some of these folks hate robots, because that's who's really coming for your job. i see it developing at work every day, and my industry approaches as highly skilled and educated as it gets.

i also wonder why they don't hate the people who are really making life hard for them : upper management, who would fire you as soon as look at you, and who don't care that you have a mortgage, kids, and debt. they could eliminate or outsource my department tomorrow, and i would have no recourse. and i'm supposed to worry about Hispanics?

right.

Are you the kind if person who gets angry or even afraid when you hear others around you speaking in a language you don't understand?

If you're an American citizen, do you get angry when people in America speak a language that isn't English?

Would you ever confront someone speaking a language you don't understand and yell at them to stop speaking that way?

Personally, I find foreign languages quite intriguing and often times beautiful to listen to.
When members of the opposite sex speak a language I don't understand it can quickly become quite sexy in my mind.

I can't imagine getting pissed off at anyone for simply speaking in a language I don't understand.

No. My wife is from Thailand, we converse quite often shopping or at a restaurant in Thai. Our oldest daughter married a Laotian. I was stationed in Thailand for 6 years and 2 in Laos and learned the language there. Even in our house, it's not surprising to have English, Thai and Lao all mixed in and at times all three in the same sentence.

I get angry when movies in English feature English-speaking people with strong accents, forcing me to turn on the subtitles, which then present such necessary texts as "laughing," "happy music," or "cat thrown out window."

Otherwise, no, non English speaking people don't annoy me.

The worst is if you are having issues with something and need to call customer service and they have a thick accent you can't understand.

As for the OP, I work with people from around the world, if hearing different languages upset me then I would have lost my mind already.

Nope, wish our stupid country taught us as kids another language. We should all be able to speak english and spanish. every other industrial nation there people learn multiple languages

It depends. If someone comes over here, they should know how to speak English at least. If they speak their native language but still know English, thats fine. If not, I have a problem. The problem is you come into my country, you should learn the main language we speak.

It could benefit the many woefully ignorant Americans a great deal.

The real question is, why do so many Americans support such a lying, racist, sexual predator president?

Is that really a question?

We even re-elected one

Bill_Clinton.jpg

Nope, wish our stupid country taught us as kids another language. We should all be able to speak english and spanish. every other industrial nation there people learn multiple languages

We have people that can barely speak English, our education system couldnt handle teaching another language.

I get angry when movies in English feature English-speaking people with strong accents, forcing me to turn on the subtitles, which then present such necessary texts as "laughing," "happy music," or "cat thrown out window."

Otherwise, no, non English speaking people don't annoy me.

I’m guessing some BBC offerings? Shetland, good series, in English, wish there were subtitles.

Yes tiny nations that have GDPs smaller than some of states. They speak different languages because of proximity. Saying the US should do something because other countries do it is silly idea. The US became such a great country by doing precisely the opposite of what everyone else is doing. You will also find that’s how many of the Fortune 500 companies became so successful as well

The worst is if you are having issues with something and need to call customer service and they have a thick accent you can't understand.

As for the OP, I work with people from around the world, if hearing different languages upset me then I would have lost my mind already.

But It’s funny when they have a fake Americanized name.

I’m guessing some BBC offerings? Shetland, good series, in English, wish there were subtitles.

No, pretty much any movie where they're striving for "authenticity." Example: a South Boston character, so they give him the thickest, most impenetrable accent money can buy.

Yes tiny nations that have GDPs smaller than some of states. They speak different languages because of proximity. Saying the US should do something because other countries do it is silly idea. The US became such a great country by doing precisely the opposite of what everyone else is doing. You will also find that’s how many of the Fortune 500 companies became so successful as well

Why can't you people make actual arguments other than "that's stupid" Its valuable to speak other languages. Guess what, china they speak multiple languages, and they are as big as we are. and besides, WTF does GDP have to do with teaching our kids multiple languages at a time it is easier for them to absorb and learn it? it can be very useful, and knowing spanish in our country, maybe the 2nd most spoken language in teh world, would be valuable to people. But Americans are arrogant, everybody should just learn English.

WTF is wrong with some of you, you just argue for the sake of arguing, no matter how dumb

Why can't you people make actual arguments other than "that's stupid" Its valuable to speak other languages. Guess what, china they speak multiple languages, and they are as big as we are. and besides, WTF does GDP have to do with teaching our kids multiple languages at a time it is easier for them to absorb and learn it? it can be very useful, and knowing spanish in our country, maybe the 2nd most spoken language in teh world, would be valuable to people. But Americans are arrogant, everybody should just learn English.

WTF is wrong with some of you, you just argue for the sake of arguing, no matter how dumb

China has 2 different forms of Chinese: Mandarin, and Standard. The other languages are primarily Asian languages. The US has many different languages, English, Spanish, German, etc.

There's that "me me me me" American conceit/attitude again. To let you know how silly it is, Hawkeye, your daughter's graduation doesn't mean **** in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't actually mean **** to you now. You don't spend any time thinking about it, ooohhh and aaaaawwww about what a great event, what a grand day it was.

BUT from the limited info you gave there was a good reason for the shutdown. It could have involved lives.

I talk about MEMEMEMEMEMEME on a regular basis, I bash America on a regular basis, but I also point out that life is not without risks and that this "If it saves one life it is worth doing" that we have long engaged in is idiotic and bad for us.

You seem to be really lost, I suggest that you read into the archive and get to know me a little before attempting to speak on the subject of me again.

Uh no. Mandarin is the most spoken language, English is second, and Spanish is third. So by your logic, we should all learn Mandarin.

I have no desire to learn Spanish as it has no value for me. I am currently learning Japanese though.

I'm always around a lot of bilingual and trilingual kids and adults at school. I find it fascinating to hear them speak. Many times there will be two kids talking to each other - one speaks in Spanish and the other responds in English - they don't even realize it. Many times a kid will jump from one language to another, say French and English, in the same sentence too.

As far as anger --- only when they're talking WAY too loud and disturbing my peace. But that's any language. :)

do i get angry? no

do i sometimes wonder why someone that has been here a number of years hasnt really tried to assimilate...yeah

especially those that work in service industries type jobs....

if you are waiting on customers, it does really help if you speak OUR native language

Why would you get angry at people who chose to live as they want? Isn't that supposed to be a central feature of America/being an American, personal freedom? Again, the stunning hypocrisy.

i spent four years in Germany as an enlisted man....and when out on the economy, i attempted to speak German....was i great at it....probably not so much...i took what they called a conversational German class for $ 25 when i got there, and it taught me the basics....but because i tried, the merchants were gracious and most of the time helped me out

Americans abroad think that by speaking English in all capital letters, that everyone would have to/should understand them. Why? Because, of course, they are special. One reason for the Ugly American.

Back
Top Bottom